PDA

View Full Version : missing something

paperboy
May 7th, 2012, 19:55
Hi everyone

not long now until i arrive in thailand, may 17.
I was wondering if people miss anything while in thailand??? I live in spain but was born in the UK
i left young so i dont miss anything, but the Brits and Germans here now have everything they can get
from back in the own country, supermarkets sell everything now.
But years ago i rememebr people bringing stuff from the UK, like sauages, bisto crazy,English mustard, bread, and even eggs ( i was told english eggs are better than spanish )
So the last time i was in Thailand i notice they had some stuff but not everything like here in spain, so
is there anything you miss from back home and bring with you, that you can not get in Thailand.

paperboy

p.s, i arrive may 17 if you want anything just PM me ok, weight is no problem im flying 1st class
so ahve about 30 kg allowence and im not bringing much with me, apart from my condoms (xl)

vnman
May 7th, 2012, 20:21
Welll, if you could make a quick pit stop in Amsterdam :notworthy: Just tell em it's medicinal at customs.

But seriously, nice gesture.

francois
May 7th, 2012, 21:06
paperboy; if you enjoy good wine then bring some from Spain. The allowance is 1 L. The wine in Thailand is very expensive due to duties, tariffs, taxes and greed.

May 7th, 2012, 21:19
Although scarily I see the Government in Holland have just voted a few weeks ago to stop tourists being served in coffee shops in Amsterdam from June of this year !!! (I am assuming thats what you were to referring VM :-)

I mean COME ON ! What's the world coming to, between that AND prostitution being illegal in Thailand (lol) I'm seriously starting to run out of suitable dens of iniquity in which to spend my vacations !! ( although as I'm going to Amsterdam at the end of May I'm sure I'll manage :-)

Although thankfully like all sensible people spread across the globe I'm sure both sets of residents will do what all right thinking people should do in regard to politicians "silly" laws and just pretend we're all french and simply ignore them !!!

*(That's a compliment by the way Francois and not an insult as it's one of the French peoples most sensible traits I think, if you don't like something then simply ignore it :-) .......actually now that I think about it it is perhaps very Thai as well - thankfully !! :-)

Getting back on topic I've been trying to sit here and think about the things I might miss if in Thailand and the only two things that spring to mind are nice good quality pork sausages and ( perhaps not surprisingly) proper tasting Guinness ! as no matter how hard places try in Thailand Guinness just never the same there :-(

vnman
May 7th, 2012, 21:37
I'm asking you - what is the world coming to if an honest tourist can't get his smoke on when visiting Amsterdam? Soon, tourists will not be able to get fish and chips in the UK, paella in Spain or yabba in Thailand.

Sorry for going of topic paper boy, but something had to be said.

I actually misread your first post and thought you were flying in from the UK.

francois
May 7th, 2012, 23:07
*(That's a compliment by the way Francois and not an insult ......
(

If you please, I prefer Pr├йsident Fran├зois!

May 7th, 2012, 23:27
If you please, I prefer Pr├йsident Fran├зois!

I think three different Presidents all in the one week would be too much for even the French to stomach ! Lol

joe552
May 7th, 2012, 23:30
congratulations on your victory, Monsier le President :notworthy:

I thought we'd sorted out that the best fish and chips are available at all good Chinese restaurants in Pattaya :dontknow:

gaymandenmark
May 7th, 2012, 23:57
I understand that if you are an expat, you can sometimes miss something from your homecountry from time to time.
But as a tourist, even for 3-4-5 weeks, I will always eat local food.
Well, first time I was in Thailand, after 3 weeks with only thaifood, suddenly I needed a big dirty beef, but my stomach got crazy and was in double size for 2 days. Since that time no way.

joe552
May 8th, 2012, 00:03
Well, first time I was in Thailand, after 3 weeks with only thaifood, suddenly I needed a big dirty beef, but my stomach got crazy and was in double size for 2 days. Since that time no way.

Think you should have gone for the big CLEAN beef - works for me :occasion9:

Neal
May 8th, 2012, 00:08
Can you make a quick stop over in the USA, pretty please? :lam:

gaymandenmark
May 8th, 2012, 00:19
ha ha, there was nothing wrong with the beef, I used the word dirty figuratively, maybe it is not possible to do that in english.
No the problem was, that after 3 weeks on a thai diet it was not good for my well-being to eat that CLEAN beef. :occasion9:

cdnmatt
May 8th, 2012, 02:12
Big ass blocks of cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Oh, and flour tortillas. Oh, and a large thing of Montreal Steak Spice.

You can drop them off at my house. Just pray you show up while my dogs are inside, or else they'll view you as an intruder in the neighborhood and tell you to fuck off.

joe552
May 8th, 2012, 02:21
matt, you've not only trained your dogs to speak, but trained them to swear? presumably in a Canadian accent. so that's how you spend your time in KK and no wonder you want to move to Chiang Mai. :occasion9:

anonone
May 8th, 2012, 09:35
Can you make a quick stop over in the USA, pretty please? :lam:
Out of cornbread mix already?

zubes
May 8th, 2012, 11:22
Montreal Steak Spice.

Available in Foodmart Jomtien

Khor tose
May 8th, 2012, 11:48
You need to read up on your French history. They are now on their 5TH republic, and that does not count all the Imperial governments or the Vichy government, and only in the last 50 years has any president served his whole seven year term. France---where anyone can be president, and republics rise and fall like the seasons of the year.

May 8th, 2012, 15:19
Which is EXACTLY why I said the "even for the french three in a week might be too much" - meaning that even for a Country such as France who ARE well known for changing their leader so often even they may find three leaders in a week hard to stomach.......perhaps you didn't understand my intent. Perhaps someone else needs to read up on their English ! lol :-)

Neal
May 8th, 2012, 17:18
Ya know? The cook has come two times and each time he made 2 packs! I have had to hide the last two packs from him so he wont make them. Geez he doesn't know how rare they are!!

Khor tose
May 8th, 2012, 17:39
I know what you are saying and I am disagreeing with you in that the French would have no problem with having three presidents in one week based on their history.
There have been similar things accepted by the French including two Popes at once. What does reading English have to do with it, or can't people disagree with you, even when it is tongue in cheek type disagreement and not any hostile attack.
Is your first language Gaelic? I am asking you this just so you feel what it is like when your question someone's ability to understand based on a questioning of their intelligence rather then trying to figure out what they are saying and taking it as a some kind of personal attack.

anonone
May 8th, 2012, 18:14
Ya know? The cook has come two times and each time he made 2 packs! I have had to hide the last two packs from him so he wont make them. Geez he doesn't know how rare they are!!
Awesome. Perhaps that is the reason you are doing so well now. :sign5:

I will have to bring you even more next time....July I think.

May 8th, 2012, 18:21
I think three different Presidents all in the one week would be too much for even the French to stomach ! Lol

You need to read up on your French history. They are now on their 5TH republic, and that does not count all the Imperial governments or the Vichy government, and only in the last 50 years has any president served his whole seven year term. France---where anyone can be president, and republics rise and fall like the seasons of the year.

?? Which is EXACTLY why I said the "even for the french three in a week might be too much" - meaning that even for a Country such as France who ARE well known for changing their leader so often even they may find three leaders in a week hard to stomach.......perhaps you didn't understand my intent. Perhaps someone else needs to read up on their English ! lol :-)

? God it's too early on a Monday morning for this ......anyway......firstly feel free to disagree ( I wasn't aware we were debating something to "disagree" in the first place mind as I'd simply made an off the cuff joking comment to another poster - it was never intended to be taken as an in depth commentary of the French political system from 1792 and the forming of the 1st republic to the present day for god sake). And the reason I finished my reply as I did was in direct response to your own opening words of "You need to read up on your French history" so if we're going to talk about personal comments then perhaps we should start there ( not that I would or could be arsed mind hence my one line reply to that).

So if you can't see how my "Perhaps someone else needs to read up on their English ! lol :-) comment to you after yours and after you (still) in my opinion misunderstood the intent of my simple ONE LINE post - even though I should add it had both an "lol" and a "smiley" after it then I don't know what more to say about that other than your sense of humour is obviously different to mine.

And as I said if you really feel the need to reply to correct an off the cuff remark that you "disagree" with - at all times, please, be my guest, knock yourself out, it's a free world.

In regards to your whole french observation, feel free to disagree all you like, if you really feel the need to "correct" ( in your view) a simple off the cuff jokey remark I made to a fellow poster then "up to you" - but just for the record I stand over my comment - I am FULLY aware of France's regular change of Government - but never three presidents in a WEEK, or a year for that matter - which is why I said "even for the French 3 IN A WEEK might be a bit much" etc. I was going to ask can't you see that......but to be honest I really don't care that much anymore.

Have a pleasant day.

Khor tose
May 8th, 2012, 22:57
No, never three presidents in one day, but three kings at once, and I still think you were taking it to seriously.

May 8th, 2012, 23:01
ok.

francois
May 9th, 2012, 00:57
In the interest of peace on this forum, I hereby resign my presidency.
I encourage Khortose and NIrishguy to reconcile with a french kiss.
Fran├зois.

gaymandenmark
May 9th, 2012, 01:17
In the interest of peace on this forum, I hereby resign my presidency.
I encourage Khortose and NIrishguy to reconcile with a french kiss.
Fran├зois.

Wow now we are talking.
That pic reminds me of Cardinot and the novel Querelle of Brest by Jean Genet.
Now I remember why I was turned into gay.
Very nice and french :love4:

joe552
May 9th, 2012, 03:53
gaymandenmark, are you saying Jean Genet turned you gay? having met the great man you must be older than I thought. :occasion9:

but that was one of the first 'gay' books I read

gaymandenmark
May 9th, 2012, 04:20
gaymandenmark, are you saying Jean Genet turned you gay? having met the great man you must be older than I thought. :occasion9:

but that was one of the first 'gay' books I read

Oh no I have never met him, I was just talking about reading his books in my twenties or thirties. And was gay at that time.
When I was reading his books, I think he was taken downunder long time ago.
Maybe I did not expressed myself so clear, I was just thinking retrospective.
BTW I am in the beginning of the 50ties, now you all know. :laughing3:

joe552
May 9th, 2012, 04:33
I was only joking - we are of a similar age it seems.