PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions

Brettjm
May 6th, 2012, 12:59
Hi folks. Well what a lively place this is. Thanks to the management and regulars for making this resource available. I must admit though, it's probably the most intimidating forum I've ever read, wow, there are some tough cookies haunting this place. I've spent a lot of time studying it prior to this post, in fear of death by flaming.

I've got a few questions that don't seem like they've been discussed recently and I wonder would anyone please be able to help me out? As a precursor and in case it matters, I'm 40, traveling with an older friend, in August, staying for around a week in Patong. I've lived around the place a bit, I'm Australian, visited Asia before, lived in Europe and lived in Africa the last 10 years.

So...

We have free rooms at the Absolute Sea Pearl. That's mainly why we are coming. We've read all the bad revues and know it might not be the best hotel in town and we know we have to sit through a 90-minute timeshare presentation, what the heck, if we hate it, we can move. What I am trying to work out is, what is the general attitude in mainstream hotels such as this one to clients who bring back different boys all the time? I realize they are all going to have their own policies but is there a general rule of thumb? Does anyone know this hotel specifically? Our rooms specifically say they are each for two people (and two breakfasts). In other parts of the forum I've noticed mention of fees for visitors? Could anyone please explain? Thanks.

I've read the threads about transport at night etc, and really, I'd prefer to walk I think (fear of motorbikes and roads in general) but, considering where we are staying, is it ok and relatively safe to walk from there to the nightspots? Where I live in Madagascar, we would never set foot on the streets at night in the city, always taxis. That's my only point of reference.

Next is medicine. My companion travels with ED medication including caverject (injections). Can anyone explain please the immigration procedure & whether there is likely to be a problem with this? I've told him already to make sure he is carrying his prescription with him. We are flying from Bali to Phuket direct.

Thanks heaps in advance folks...

vnman
May 6th, 2012, 13:56
Well, welcome to the board Brettjm.

I can't help you to much with what Phuket is concerned. I do know that there are a lot more organized tourists traps out there.

I'm sure there are some others with some useful information.

May 6th, 2012, 15:24
Yes phuket is easy to walk round..when i was there i never used transport and you get to understand the layout better on foot
i dont think you will have any problem with same sex staying in your room....all they care about is the money
Thailand in general is not homaphobic like other countries..being with a girl or boy is seen the same thing
thats why so many people like Thailand
i think a lot of it has to do with their buddist upbringing
Have a nice time

Brettjm
May 6th, 2012, 15:56
Thanks for the speedy replies guys much appreciated :-)

May 6th, 2012, 16:46
hI brettjm - firstly welcome ! Don't be put off by what you may have read, they ( mainly) really are a friendly bunch on here and I'm sure as you seem like a sound bloke you'll fit right in :-)

Re Phuket whilst I'm not aware of the actual physical location of your hotel I can tell you that the one thing about Phuket is that there are tuk tuks ( and motorbikes too but I see you prefer not to use bikes) every 10 paces !! to the point you'll be sick of looking at them and telling them you don't want one so no matter where you're staying you'll have no trouble getting to and from your hotel and any time of the day or night.

Re guys in your room again sorry I can't be specific but "generally" no one gives a damn !! as another poster said it's all about the money - you mentioned joiners / visitors fees....basically that's sometimes where a hotel would ask you to pay a further small amount to let a guest stay with you for the night, this maybe be somewhere around the 4-500 bath mark perhaps BUT it's generally on the larger corporate hotel do this and in phuket ( and by the sound of your own review) I don't think you'll have any problems - give the hotel a ring and ask " do you charge a joiners fee" don't be embarrassed, they'll have heard this a million times and won't give it a second thought answering you. Personally speaking if they did I would look for another hotel - and likewise that whole timeshare thing - bugger that, there are LOADS of great hotels in phuket, all very cheap and would be happy for your business with no joiners fee and no timeshare bullshit - but "up to you".

Just to speed you along I'm not sure if you're aware but the main gay area is all centred around the Paradise complex, so if gay bars and go go bars are your thing, that's where to head.

Re the meds question - whilst I can't give you a definitive answer basically I've ( nor anyone I know) have EVER been stopped at phuket airport, it's quite a small airport and they just want you in and out as quickly as possible so unless it's something really dangerous you're bringing in again I wouldn't worry too there much perhaps.

Oh and you'll hear all the stories about the tuk tuk's being mafia run etc ( which is true) but personally I couldn't care less and if they "rip me off" for 50 baht on my way home over and above what the fare should be I couldn't care less - oh and one last thing (and I'm guessing it may not apply to you anyway perhaps) - don't be renting any jet skis as they ARE a scam just waiting to happen !

Hope you have a great time, be sure to post and let us all know how you got on now won't you !

Ha ha - oh one last question - why did you call your post "NOOB questions ??" :-) does this relate to something in your post that I missed, or maybe mean something I'm not aware of internationally perhaps ? The only reason I ask is that on first waking up and reading your headline when not half awake yet I read it as "KNOB questions" and thought. "hmmm perhaps I can help there" ha ha :-)))

joe552
May 6th, 2012, 17:21
welcome, brettjim, to the liveliest gay Thailand forum.

can't help with information of Phuket - only been once - but I'm sure you'll pick up lots of tips here. :hello2:

Brettjm
May 6th, 2012, 19:19
Thanks guys for the reassurance and welcome.

Noob, sorry, is geek-talk for newbie, beginner :-) it's used often in another (gaming) forum I use.

joe552
May 6th, 2012, 23:30
jeez, even I knew that and I'm least geeky person I know. :occasion9:

May 6th, 2012, 23:38
jeez, even I knew that and I'm least geeky person I know. :occasion9:

Well it seems that you ARE no longer the least geeky person you know Joe and I accept the honour with grateful thanks and humble appreciation -just checking - was that a salaried position by any chance as I could do with a few quid extra coming in every month ??? lol

And thank you Brettjm for the clarification, I learn something new every day it seems :-)

joe552
May 6th, 2012, 23:42
no salary, just lots of pride