PDA

View Full Version : Where to get the best Peking of Hong Kong Duck in Pattaya?

Neal
May 6th, 2012, 05:41
I am trying to remember which is which but there is Peking Duck which I believe when sliced they slice the crispy skin off on its own. There is Bejing Duck which I believe is the same as Peking Duck and then there is Hong Kong Duck. Hong Kong Duck is the same as the other two and if I remember properly at Shangri-la in Bangkok is only a variation to how they slice it. Hong Kong they slice off the crispy skin as well as a layer of meat with it so that you don't get the skin alone. I think that was the way they explained it and when they slice the skin alone, I believe the duck goes back to the kitchen where they make the duck meat any way you wish.
Personally I like the Hong Kong Duck. Skin and meat and then put into a pankake with tiny shoots of onion and celery I believe as well as Hoison sauce.
Wherever you can find one style, you find someone who can slice it any of the ways mentioned above.
Yes, it would be about 2,500 to -3,000 baht if it is a proper restaurant serving it and all this talking of duck done the way I like best has had me thinking and craving it all night. Gonna have to look at this Bayshore Resort and see if they do it properly and go over.
Hey Joe?? Wouldn't you like duck instead? :dontknow:

vnman
May 6th, 2012, 06:16
Never tried duck and for 2500 - 3000 I guess I never will.

I hope it doesn't taste like chicken :binky:

Neal
May 6th, 2012, 06:24
Nothing like chicken.
Oh you can get duck in a variety of ways and much much cheaper. The reason that it is so expensive is the special preperation in making this style. I believe it takes most of a day and then the slicing at the table with special white gloves and a person that os specially trained to slice it just right. You can go to any place to get sweet and sour duck or duck in garlic. Those are inexpensive and good. These are sliced just so and you wrap the slices in a light delicate pancake with very thin sliced vegetables. Its an awesome experience to try at least one time in your life. One duck this way serves 2 - 3 people.

Neal
May 6th, 2012, 06:41
Narakmak suggested this place in another thread. While I greatly ppreciate it and by it's description I am sure you're right I am just a little puzzled about why you didn't know the differences and price that they normally go for.

You can get Peking duck here:

http://www.siamhotels.com/siambayshore/ ... 21-en.html

Thousands of baht I'm sure.

Also at the Sechuan/Northern Chinese place on Soi Welcome Jomtien, order in advance. Also thousands of baht.

Pao is on Pattaya Klang, next door to Fascino pharmacy, north side, between 2nd and 3rd, further east than Leng Kee.

Not sure exactly what you mean by Hong Kong duck? Roast duck? Then Leng Kee.
Also good duck in 3rd road, east side at the Thai Chinese place also serving goose. To go there, turn left on 3rd from Pattaya Klang, head north and look for the first shop selling duck and goose on the right.

May 6th, 2012, 07:05
Hmmm you're making me hungry now ! Our similar variation on a theme here is the same shredded Peking duck with spring onion and cucumber cut into small strips with PLUM sauce wrapped in warm pancakes of course Hmmm lovely :-) the only trouble is when I order them for three I ( and everyone else I know too) we all like them so much no one wants to share and it's handbags at dawn for the last pancake !! But hey if they run out of pancakes at least our local Chinese also does a good line in gravy chips which I can also heartily recommend ! Lol ;-)))

Neal
May 6th, 2012, 09:45
I don't eat as much anymore it seems after the stroke. About once a day and maybe a bowl of soup later. I have lost about 6 kilos so far.
HEAR THAT SCOTTISH GUY??? Maybe I won't be the FAT man at the door soon!
Anyway, back on topic, the way I used to eat we would order a spicy Jelly Fish appetizer which they called Mangapoon. Then we used to have a large barb que appetizer with mini spare ribs and other stuff. And then 2 - 3 people would eat one duck as we were already near our limit.
This restaurant at the Siam Bayshore claims to have an excellent Chinese restaurant serving Peking Duck. They very well maybe a good substitute rather than taking a rip to Bangkok when I feel up to it. Thanks Namarak! :bounce:

Gaybutton
May 6th, 2012, 14:02
The best Peking Duck I have had in Pattaya is at the Marco Polo restaurant in the Montien Hotel. It's been a couple years, but the price at that time was 1200 baht.

Neal
May 6th, 2012, 15:01
Thanks all!

May 6th, 2012, 15:06
Aww...pore ducks...i could never eat them...i think their cute

Neal
May 6th, 2012, 15:18
I am moving these Pao posts to the Chinese thread.

billy2bs
May 8th, 2012, 07:08
[attachment=0:242nwn2c]Peiking Duck.jpg[/attachment:242nwn2c]Well I was in China, Beijing, as a matter of fact and did indeed have the real thing served and carved right at the table for me and my guest.I don't knopw what it cost as it was part of the days dal but i think about 200y each if individually bought. It was tende, juicy.a stronger dark meat chicken flavor is as close as I can describe it. Was it woorth it>As a one time thing, sure.
Will I have it ever again? Doubt it. Noe lets see if I can get the pic to go with it or maybe it will end in my files somewhere here.

Billy

Neal
May 8th, 2012, 13:28
It looks likee it could be but I can see they don't wear their cute white gloves to handle the duck when slicing it and I don't see the spears of celery and cucumber and stuff and i dont see the very light paper like pancakes!

billy2bs
May 9th, 2012, 00:11
Oh ya we had those things and some kind of sauce to spread on first.I guess I can live with the plastic gloves he used..

Narakmak
May 9th, 2012, 20:21
OK, the actual confirmed price for a whole Peking duck set at the Chinese restaurant on Soi Welcome Jomtien is 1600 baht. No plus plus. Not recommending it. Just saying.

Neal
May 9th, 2012, 20:26
Yes it appears that there are a few places around that serve Peking/Hong Kong/Bejing duck in Pattaya. I never thought about it and glad as it sure saves me a trip to Bangkok. Thank you all for yout help!