PDA

View Full Version : Sunee's expiration date?

vnman
May 4th, 2012, 20:11
A post in firecat's thread about GOGOs and GR reminded me about this.

Over the last 8-9 years that I've been coming to PTY I've seen more and more places close shop, but even worse, getting taken over by Arabs. Noting against the "non homophobes" amongst them, for as far as they exist, but they seem to take over Sunee plaza bit by bit. Like I said in another thread; I haven't been in 1.5 years, but are there more shops turned into kashbas?

gregvc
May 4th, 2012, 22:11
I have just been there for the first time in 4 years. I found the gay life is shrinking. I agree that the Russians and Middle Easterners are taking over. I don't think much new life has been introduced. I remember Charlies cafe in Sunee and amuch livelier atmosphere than now. In Boyztown it seems that it is just a place for farangs to leer at each other. Maybe those who live there don't have much to compare with or lack perspective. Mostly, just a sad, slow decline.

Manforallseasons
May 4th, 2012, 23:42
I am a long time resident of Pattaya and what you say about a declining gay scene in Sunee and Boystown is putting it mildly. Pattaya has become a remnant of its former self, I thought the economy was all to blame but why are non gay venues surviving.
It is nothing like it was when I first came. Boystown was exciting we would go almost every nite, City boys, Thai boys, Lucky 7, dream boys and beginning our evenings in Sunee. Sunee for the most part caters now to men that like feminine boys and Boystown's flame is mostly lost as the fake torches are gone from the balcony of Boys, Boys, Boys.

May 5th, 2012, 00:22
When i'm in Thailand ..i like to visit different parts of the country...i think i enjoy sunnee plaza and boystown cause thats only one of the places i visit...i think if i was there all the time i'd get really bored....its a big world out there!...enjoy it

ceejay
May 5th, 2012, 01:39
Spot on Blue Chris. I'll usually spend 3 or 4 days of a 2-3 week trip there. My first trip to Thailand was two weeks, all spent in Pattaya, but I've never spent the whole time there since although, eccentrically enough, it's one place I'm considering as a base for a much longer stay this winter. Chiang Mai may well win out over it though.
The next trip starts tomorrow and I'll be in Pattaya for Sunday :party . Then on to Yasothon for the Bun Banh Fai. I love Isaan festivals - nobody does them better.

May 5th, 2012, 03:26
Thanks Ceejay..hope you have a good time..i'll be going back latter this month...one of the other places i love is issan....and i liked it in Chaing mai..but allways like to include Pattaya
cheers
chris

vnman
May 5th, 2012, 22:08
When i'm in Thailand ..i like to visit different parts of the country...i think i enjoy sunnee plaza and boystown cause thats only one of the places i visit...i think if i was there all the time i'd get really bored....its a big world out there!...enjoy it

I don't think that it matters how big the world is. If Sunee slowly disappears, like it seems to do, your 3 or 4 days will turn into 0. And that there are other places to visit, not only in Thailand, is evident.

Thai Dyed
May 5th, 2012, 22:17
If Sunee finally disappears, I doubt there are many places in the world that could take its place. Already over the last decade Sunee has lost a lot of its charming decadence.
[attachment=0:2d4r205q]Roflcopter.gif[/attachment:2d4r205q]

May 5th, 2012, 23:12
Every scean has a life span or time span..what was there before and what wiil be there after..who knows..i like to be optimistic...never say never and all that ha ha

thrillbill
May 6th, 2012, 20:06
I live/work in Pattaya so I look at the gay life here differently than an excited tourist right off the plane. First, I am not into young "boys"...the type that are 18-22 but look like they are 14 years-which is the majority in Pattaya. I am also not into meeting guys that are the skinny fem type-which are the majority in Pattaya. Next, (like in my home country) I enjoy sitting at the bar and just chit chatting with other gays from the area or overseas. Hard to find this in Pattaya also. True, the Panorama bar is a "gay" bar but it is basically full of money boys with limited converstion ability: "Misterrrrrrrrrrrrr where you come from?" (later)' I like you. I go with you???" If you want to compare the kind of Thai gays in Pattaya verses Bangkok, just check out the members' pics on Pattaya GR and Bangkok GR. What a difference! I don't think the gays in Pattaya have ever heard of a gym or that a gay can still be masculine and still be gay.

Meanwhile I can go to BKK and meet people on soi 4, go to DJ Station or GOD for good music, and meet more of my type - masculine, athletic type and one that can carry a conversation. (and very few of them are money boys). I think Pattaya has always been a gay magnet for those older farangs that go for the ladyboy and young fem types and instantly give out bahts for pleasure which creates the younger men to expect baht no matter what. This farang group is thinning out in Pattaya since they come from Western counties that are facing financial woes, so there are less customers to share with the gay venues. I personallly do not find the gay places I just mentioned "thinning out" in Bangkok like they are in Pattaya... and there is also a young crowd of farangs (20's-30's) that hit Bangkok which is refreshing (unlike Pattaya). DJ is just as packed as when I first went there seven years ago ( of course I don't go as often 5555) and soi 4 is still a fun place to meet people.

joe552
May 6th, 2012, 20:45
an interesting perspective, thrillbill, thanks.

firecat69
May 7th, 2012, 08:39
I agree the places are completely different. I quite like the young(but legal) look boys and do not agree that they are all Fem types. In fact many of them grow up in 3 or 4 years to the more masculine boys you speak of in BKK. Now of course some remain skinny and become or stay very feminine.

I also quite like the masculine non money boys you speak of in BKK and even the money boys if they are handsome enough. My taste can vary which is why after many trips to Thailand where Pattaya was my focus, I needed a change and actually moved to BKK for 2 years. I made 3 day trips to Pattaya 3 or 4 times a year but quite enjoyed living in BKK. Recently I moved back to the USA because with the real estate bubble being burst , I was able to buy a Downtown condo for 25% of its value 5 ears ago. Bottom line, I can live in the USA cheaper then BKK.

So now I am back to 4trips a year to Thailand of 30 days each. For the last year they have all been to Pattaya with just a few days out for Chiiang Mai and BKK.

In a perfect world I would have my apartment on the river in BKK and another one in View Talay 6 in Pattaya and split my time between the two. Thats what I will do when I finally win the lottery.

For now I will enjoy the young boys in Pattaya and when tired of them will spend most of my 30 day trips in BKK. Bottom line Thailand has something for everyones taste and pocketbook. You just need to explore and find what suits you for however long it suits you. LOL

painai2
May 7th, 2012, 09:06
I think you've got to agree that the Sunnee area is being squeezed from all sides by the Arab bars, and that's not the case in Boyztown. Personnaly, I find all I want in Boyztown to suit me.

Khor tose
May 7th, 2012, 12:59
I rarely go to the go-go bars, though there are new ones (from 2 yrs ago)whose shows I would like to check out, but I have always enjoyed the great variety of host bars in Sunee. I do think one day the go-gos' may go, but I think many of the host bars will have a much longer life. At least I hope so.