PDA

View Full Version : BBC, CNN to broadcast tribute to H.M.

wowpow
May 19th, 2006, 09:59
The Nation, Friday 19th May 06

"The BBC and CNN will broadcast a tribute to His Majesty the King Bhumibol Adulyadej who is the now the world's longest reigning monarch.

Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai Thursday said the tribute would focus on His Majesty and his development projects. Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda, and the United Nations secretary-general Kofi Annan will be featured in the programme, which will be aired next Friday morning.

"Annan will deliver a special address on His Majesty," Surakiart said.

Annan is scheduled to present the United Nations Development Programme's inaugural development award to His Majesty at 5pm on Friday."

The Nation

May 19th, 2006, 11:59
When I first came to Thailand I was amazed at the degree to which the King appears to be loved and respected by Thai people, especially with so many in poverty whilst the King lives in luxury. Coming from a country (UK) where many people see the monarchy as something to be ridiculed and possibly abolished, it came as a surprise to find that Thai's, or at least the one's I have spoken with, will not have a word said against him. If you played the national anthem and asked people to stand to attention in (say) a cinema in the UK, you would get whistles, cat calls and pop corn cartons thrown at the screen, whilst here in Thailand Thai's all stand dutifully to attention.

From what little I have read about the King, he has minimal, if any, political power and his actions mainly concentrate on meeting people, visiting Thai communities, doing good deeds and setting up foundations to help support those in need. However, despite the lack of political power, it does appear that he listens to his people and I am sure he had more to do with Thaksin resigning than has been previously stated.

I am a part time monarchist (I watch the weddings and funerals), but there is something truly admirable about not only His Majesty the King but also Thai' people's love for their King with no envy shown for his wealth or status.

May 19th, 2006, 12:14
Yes, it is truly remarkable.
I have never heard a Thai say a bad word about the King and I don't ever expect to either.

May 19th, 2006, 22:24
Well, well. It seems as LMTU's inside scoop extends beyond the confines of Boys Town to the highest echelon's of the Thai monarchy. Bravo!

So, let me ask you: who do your sources say will be designated as the new monarch when the current King steps aside?

May 19th, 2006, 22:33
PS: I do realize that public speculation about the monarchy is not appropriate -- and possibly illegal -- in Thailand. Seeing as this site is already blocked in Thailand, though, I don't see what harm it can do.

elephantspike
May 19th, 2006, 23:45
I hope for once Im wrong ?

No, I think that as usual you are full of B.S.! Please DO NOT include Thai Royal Institutions in your tabloidesque rumor-mongering on this board anymore!

PS: I do realize that public speculation about the monarchy is not appropriate -- and possibly illegal -- in Thailand. Seeing as this site is already blocked in Thailand, though, I don't see what harm it can do.

I have no intention of abandoning our Posting Guidelines or our general philosophy of showing respect for Thai ways simply because some bureaucrats have decided to attempt to block direct access to this board from within Thailand.

May 20th, 2006, 00:56
Are you kidding? This entire board is an affront to "Thai Ways". Why do you think it got blocked???

May 20th, 2006, 01:20
I have it from very trusted inside friend, saying this is the year he will announce his abdication.

Do we assume that whilst you are the Village Idiot your friend is the Court Jester ?

:cheers:

May 20th, 2006, 11:24
I would be happy to receive all of your royal gossip by PM. If you turn out to be right, I'll treat you to a bang-up meal at any restaurant of your choice.

May 20th, 2006, 11:38
I would be happy to receive all of your royal gossip by PM. If you turn out to be right, I'll treat you to a bang-up meal at any restaurant of your choice.
Nookies, here's another opening for you ...

elephantspike
May 20th, 2006, 13:22
NO!!!!

I will not permit this topic to be hijacked!!!

Are you kidding? This entire board is an affront to "Thai Ways". Why do you think it got blocked???

The fact that the Thai equivalent of the so-called "Moral Majority" is temporarily impeding direct access to this board from within Thailand does NOT mean that we will abandon all decency!

If anyone has any smart-ass (or other) remarks to add to this policy, please do so on another thread.

This Thread is about the upcoming television program on BBC/CNN about His Majesty The King. Let's please keep this thread that way. And let's please leave out any barroom gossip!

I had better shut up for once???

Exactly. 'Nuff said.

May 20th, 2006, 16:34
Let Me Tell U - You MUST be the thickest farang, walking around Thailand.
You don't half talk aload of verbal diarohhea, get your heads out of the clouds. Long Live the King and wish him many years yet to reign this wonderful country.

May 20th, 2006, 18:24
No human being is above gossip. I couldn't give a fig about his birthright or position, and I'm surprised that some of you do.