View Full Version : Travel Tips for the NEW visitor to Thailand.

bucknaway
April 30th, 2012, 06:27
Many read this forum as they plan their first trip to Thailand. Maybe some of us could give them some of the advice that would have come in handy for us when we first visited Thailand. Here are a few of my travel tips.

* Notify your bank that you will be visiting Thailand.
* Bring some CASH in the event that your ATM/Credit card is blocked by your bank.
* Bring a small umbrella to be ready for the flash rain storms. You can buy one in Thailand but the price SOARS when it rains.
* Try not to eat or drink Dairy for 3 to 4 weeks before your trip to reduce the odor your body will emit through sweat in the hot weather.
* When at the Airport, Exchange enough of your money for Thai Baht to pay for your taxi and tip of hotel staff as well as possible early meals and transportation you will take to get to a ATM or Exchange booth with better exchange rates.
* Most bars close at 1am but you can find crowds on Walking Street in Pattaya and in Silom in Bangkok.

colmx
April 30th, 2012, 07:39
Good Post Bucky....

* Try not to eat or drink Dairy for 3 to 4 weeks before your trip to reduce the odor your body will emit through sweat in the hot weather.

I think this one is a bit of a fallacy to be honest... have seen it quoted for years... but never seen any real proof of this theory... People stink because they don't shower enough or clean their clothes... not because they drank a glass of milk.

* Most bars close at 1am but you can find crowds on Walking Street in Pattaya and in Silom in Bangkok.
Most bars close at that time - and thats when the REAL night gets going... pattaya is a 24 hour city and the best part of the day is 1am till 6am

My Tips:
*Bring a celeb gossib or boy band magazine with you from the airport of your home country - helps break the ice when your friend first arrives to the room... he will pick it up and flick through it when you get back to the room
*Open the TV on a music channel - (gives you or your friend a chance to use the toilet without embarrassing noises), Hide the remote control so he can't switch to a Thai soap channel and ruin any romantic overtures!
*Leave Listerine in the bathroom and Clorets on the bed when you go to shower... Just in case he doesn't get the hint!
*A bottle of whiskey (100 pipers) is usually more cost effective in a bar if there is more than 4 of you drinking. ie. 4 x 180B versus 1000-12000B, everyone gets 3-4 glasses of whiskey and the waiters + a few boys of your choice can join in
*Taxi fare to jomtien from south pattaya is 10B - not 30B as written in some of the printed pattaya tourist guides (they have been writing that for 10+ years now)

bucknaway
April 30th, 2012, 08:02
It was true for my friend Mike. He told me that he cuts down on milk before his travels to hot climates and it makes a big difference. It could have something to do with the medication he takes for his pacemaker but he says it does make a difference.

Also.. Ask a Thai if it makes a difference, but do it before you start to smell LOL :)

April 30th, 2012, 08:11
Lock all your valuables ( passport, credit / ATM cards, extra cash, Ipad / mobile (if not using it) in the room safe AS SOON as you arrive as you'll surely forget later once you get out there partying - and then it might be too late !

As I almost found out to my cost on my very first trip after a chancer of a freelance Thai guy threatened to stop me flying home unless I gave him lots of money and I nearly SHIT myself when I realised he'd been in my room for two days with my passport just lying on the table and I assumed he'd pocketed it to hold it / me to ransom - thankfully for me he wasn't smart enough to have actually worked out he should have done that and was just mouthing off whilst drunk and I immediately secured my passport in a split second and got him to hell out of the room for once and for all - and have never made THAT mistake again !.

April 30th, 2012, 14:12
If your wearing shorts...get some mosquito spray or you will be scratching your legs..when the itchy red lumps appear
if you buy street food..be carefull of the salad if they have washed it in the tap water....cause you could be stuck on the toilet the following few days with the delli belly..if its really bad..you can get antibiotics from the pharmacy..just send out your boy or bf to get them for you ha ha

April 30th, 2012, 15:07
If you'll be spending extended time in BT and you like your booze - think about buying one of the bar Discount cards.

You'll be in profit within 2 days!

Even DaBoss takes them (well she takes anything, doesn't she :evil4: )

:occasion9:

Neal
April 30th, 2012, 15:16
Twat!

April 30th, 2012, 15:28
It's only jealousy :party

April 30th, 2012, 21:47
my tip .. forget the taxi from the airport .. get the train and then bst if staying in bangkok far cheaper and much quicker ... or if going straight to pattaya just get a bus..
oh and im surprised no ones mentioned this yet .. dont forget the 2nd suitcase ... for the condoms of course...
and a hat to keep the sun off your head ....

April 30th, 2012, 21:55
Brithai - you do realise these are tips for a first-time visitor?

I would not have dreamed of not taking a taxi the first time I visited - I doubt I would have ever found my hotel.

Of course it could just be that I'm a dozy cow :dontknow:

April 30th, 2012, 22:23
Brithai - you do realise these are tips for a first-time visitor?

I would not have dreamed of not taking a taxi the first time I visited - I doubt I would have ever found my hotel.

Of course it could just be that I'm a dozy cow :dontknow:
i got a bus on my first visit to bangkok ... altho i must admit i had someone meet me at the airport ...
i travel a lot on my own .. so it doesnt bother me if i get lost .. its sometimes the best way to find new things ...
altho if you have a 100 kilo suitcase it may not be the best idea ..

April 30th, 2012, 22:42
yes i think first time most people get the taxi...to bkk or pattaya....but then after a while you find other ways to get from a to b
i'm going back in a few weeks and i'm planing to use the airport train to the sky train(bts)..its only 17 mins on the train.

when i'm going to pattaya ..i get the bus number 389 its easy to find..its only about 120 baht...instead of 1500 baht in a taxi...and the bus is air con as well and very nice inside.

April 30th, 2012, 23:04
ive used the bus a number of times .. and didnt even realise they had numbers :tongue3: all ive ever done is get the bts to
Ekamai then walk to the bus station from there .. less than a minutes walk .. there are several busses that will take you to pattaya .. just go to the platform shown on the ticket .. make sure you sit in the right seat tho .. or all hell can be let loose ..
then when you get to pattaya a baht bus 20 baht .. to where ever your hotel/ dive is... total cost for me from sala dang station to sunee is about 170 baht ... who says im a cheap charlie

christianpfc
May 1st, 2012, 01:38
I once read somewhere (citation needed) that red meat (beef) gives us Farang a body odor that is perceived as smelly by Thais (who eat mainly chicken and pork). Dairy is new to me.

On the other hand, it is here and there reported that Indians in Thailand smell (I have no personal experience), but they don't eat beef for religious reasons.

Bring earplugs (you sometimes get them in the plane for free), they come in handy in discos and bars! (I always use earplugs in discos and often in gogo bars.)

joe552
May 1st, 2012, 02:43
I find it hard enough to hear conversations in some bars and discos that wearing earplugs would only make the problem worse, surely :dontknow:

I know, don't keep calling me Shirley :occasion9:

May 1st, 2012, 03:07
Bring earplugs (you sometimes get them in the plane for free), they come in handy in discos and bars! (I always use earplugs in discos and often in gogo bars.)

Christian I'm shocked and saddended that I'm actually finding myself agreeing with you ! lol I believe you or someone else posted that same advice about songkran a while ago and when I read it I thought "no way, can you imagine sitting wearing ear plugs etc" and I have to admit that a) I didn't and got blasted in the ears so many times I ended up getting an ear infection whilst away and also ( and more importantly perhaps) I was taken to an Issan disco by a few Thai guys ( which I've been to many time before) but on this occassion the music was SO loud I honestly - and I mean honestly - believe that I actually damaged my hearing as my ears were ringing and sore for two full days afterwards and I have to admit that for a few days after that night my ears were so delicate that I DID actually wear the ear plugs that I'd kept from the plane both during the water fights and also at (some) of the night clubs I went too - much to my Thai friends ammusment as they laughed at the crazy farang with the ear plugs lol - so, much to my own disgust as I NEVER thought I'd find myself even dreaming of wearing ear plugs to a night club but I find myself agreeing with you ! lol - although I'm hoping that that was in fact a one off and not a slippery slope into being even odder than I already am and that I can return to something that comes close to what passes for reasonably normal behaviour in nightclubs any day soon now :-)

joe552
May 1st, 2012, 03:16
[ :dontknow: I'm hoping that that was in fact a one off and not a slippery slope into being even odder than I already am and that I can return to something that comes close to what passes for reasonably normal behaviour in nightclubs any day soon now :-)[/quote]

I think it's too late to hope it's a one off - embrace your old git side and enjoy :occasion9:

May 1st, 2012, 03:27
I use earplugs in Night Clubs - but I use the filtered kind - the loud and damaging noise is kept out and I can have a conversation far more easily.

joe552
May 1st, 2012, 03:32
where do you get them, scottish-guy? are they the ones you get on the plane?

May 1st, 2012, 03:55
[ :dontknow: I'm hoping that that was in fact a one off and not a slippery slope into being even odder than I already am and that I can return to something that comes close to what passes for reasonably normal behaviour in nightclubs any day soon now :-)

I think it's too late to hope it's a one off - embrace your old git side and enjoy :occasion9:[/quote]

How dare you ! I said ODDER not older !!! lol Old side indeed - why I'm only 23 man....ok maybe 43 :-( - still old indeed how VERY dare you !! lol

joe552
May 1st, 2012, 04:04
sorry, you'll have to speak up, I can't hear you very well.

May 1st, 2012, 16:02
sorry, you'll have to speak up, I can't hear you very well.

:-(( That'll be that damned butt plug blocking your hearing your again I presume, I've warned you about that before.......you're only meant to keep them in for short periods at a time you know but will you listen ......not a chance ! :-)

Neal
May 1st, 2012, 17:05
SO THAT'S WHO STOLE IT!! :sign5:

pong
May 1st, 2012, 17:08
. Here are a few of my travel tips.

1* Notify your bank that you will be visiting Thailand.
2* Most bars close at 1am but you can find crowds on Walking Street in Pattaya and in Silom in Bangkok.
@1. this ONLY applies for Americans-or maybe a few more-in Europe banks/crcards will react baffled and tell you; why did you call us to tell that?
Some cultural differencs rmain all the time and get unnoticed.
2.BKK; 2 -but earlier if the last customer has left.
Also for USAers: as about the whole world, TH normally uses the 24 hr clock, KMs and no miles, Kgrams, etc. And the money is NOT $$, nor is it TH$.

joe552
May 1st, 2012, 17:09
how low can a thread go? if I were a new visitor to Thailand, I'd be appalled at this thread. Except that it might serve as a warning of how addled a brain can become from over-exposure to Thai boys.

May 1st, 2012, 17:15
where do you get them, scottish-guy? are they the ones you get on the plane?

Nah - these are more sophisticated products, either custom made at around ┬г190pr or Generic at around ┬г10pr

You can get the generic kind cheapest at http://www.hearforlife.co.uk - search for ER20.

christianpfc
May 1st, 2012, 23:21
I found conversation with earplugs is no problem. Music and speech are subdued to the same degree.

Two years ago, I got an ear infection in Thailand the day after I went to the loudest disco in my life.

Earplugs (and headphones) increase the level of bacteria in your ear considerably, so you should not wear them longer than necessary.

May 1st, 2012, 23:24
1* it certainly applies for my bank in england .. turn up in thailand without notification and you have no hope of getting any money ...
just as an aside .. i know you are a great authority on world affairs pong ... but just ... american and a few europe banks/ cards .... whats that in your book ... maybe 300 - 400 people who might be in trouble if they dont let there banks know ??

May 1st, 2012, 23:50
Brithai is 100% correct on the bank issue - UK banks will block your card if you don't notify.

It has happened to me with Halifax/Bank of Scotland and Abbey/Santander

Neal
May 1st, 2012, 23:55
Up to a few years ago when I owned a web based mail order catalog company for my products, we found that the majority of fraud came out of Japan and various Asian countries. The second you get a charge from an area that is not your home based country, all flags are raised. Notify your bank where you will be and the dates so that they know when you are back home.

joe552
May 2nd, 2012, 00:30
Earplugs (and headphones) increase the level of bacteria in your ear considerably, so you should not wear them longer than necessary.

ok, I think I'll forget about the earplugs - that sounds SO attractive. I generally don't go to clubs anymore anyway

On the issue of informing your bank - I agree - I always tell mine, especially my return date, so any transactions after that date, they'll know are fraud.

May 2nd, 2012, 00:34
...Earplugs (and headphones) increase the level of bacteria in your ear considerably...

Unless you have perforated eardrums you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Ditto with the bloody shower water you mention in your other post.

And excessive noise on its own can not cause an Ear infection either.

Where do you get your ideas from ?

I bet you have sex standing in a bucket of paraffin so you won't get pregnant

joe552
May 2nd, 2012, 00:43
well now, that one has always worked for me (so far anyway) :occasion9:

May 2nd, 2012, 00:47
Brithai is 100% correct on the bank issue - UK banks will block your card if you don't notify.

Again as others have said already you are quite wrong on this one Pong - it is absolutely in your best interests to notify your credit card company of your travel plans as if they start to get transactions flagging up on your card from "strange" Countries they can and do automatically and immediately block your card, leaving the onus on YOU to call them and authenicate your identity, which from personal experience on try to do that on arrival in a Country, whislt perhaps sitting in a restaurant where your card has just been delcined, is a real pain in the ass.

I should also add that even though I did do this with all my cards on this trip ( and as I've had my card declined in the past) I STILL had both my main cash point card AND my 1st main credit declined on my last trip and thankfully I had other cards with my so was ok, but if I'd only had the two cards with me I was SCREWED !

Also and finally I can state that your credit card company will not at all be surprised by recieving a call to say you're travelling as it's in their terms and conditions that you're obliged to notifiy then and they will immedaitely and quickly take the Countries your visiting and also ask you for the dates you'll be in those countries ( to the DAY) and also if you will have a contactable mobile number while your away - and again the credit card Company have in the past actually called ME whilst I was in the middle of a transaction to ensure that it WAS me using the card and it hadn't been cloned or the details stolen.

In our office we do some web based e commerce stuff and I can assure you the amount of credit card fraud that goes on on a weekly basis, even into my small company is ASTOUNDING - and I actually have at this very minute no less that 3 cloned card number details sitting on my desk where the card compnaies have actually authorised the purchase of our goods even though both I and they KNOW that the card details have been stolen and when I offered to work with the card companies and the Police to enable the Police to catch the fraudsters neither the police nor the card companies were interested as the value of the sales where ( just) under ┬г5000 stg ! As they know "if" we went ahead and delivered the goods and processed the cards ( that they authorised the sale on !) that up to 2 months later I believe my company are still liable for that debt - which is ridiculous !

Anyway, so yes my advice ABSOLUTELY inform your card company of your travel plans - for your own cards safety if nothing else !

May 2nd, 2012, 01:00
I have personal experience of what can go wrong - on my 1st ever trip I ended up with a party of about 14 and I foolishly used a Credit Card to pay a bar bill in a well-known BKK gogo bar (yes, idiotic I know, but I ran out of cash - so had no choice).

They cloned the card and all hell broke loose with fraudulent transactions when I got back home.

newalaan
May 2nd, 2012, 05:05
My tip and the thing which used to irritate me when I first started coming to Thailand is.....if you decide or get persuaded to go to a Thai club everytime a mixer bottle or ice bucket is empty the waiter will automatically replenish it, this happens many times through the evening and you get presented with a bill each time, so tell the waiter (or get the boy you take to tell him) at the first bill you wish a consolidated bill at the end. You will have to sign each chitty when you receive the items each time, but it saves having to rake out your cash every time a bill arrives and I find that is annoying when you are trying to enjoy the fun.

Open the TV on a music channel...hide the remote
This is a great tip, often there are Thai music channels and if you can find one of those this is an even better way for your guest to feel comfortable. Further to that, if you plan to return to Thailand, buy a few Thai artist CD's and if you familiarise yourself with even two or three famous thai music artists it will be a great ice-breaker for future trips. Thai guys love their music, showing an interest in Thai music will endear you to them. Also there are some superb Thai music artists and bands which have a very very high quality of music output and can easily compete with western artists in music composition, playing and singing and so you could discover some great new music.

Hide the remote is a vital tip too, if you go shower alone or to the toilet, if a thai guy finds the remote he will simply change it to a channel which suits him without a second thought, then it becomes an awkward situation to change it or switch from the awful thai soaps they seem to like. Hide it after you set the channel then simply ignore any requests to find it. That is what they do when they don't want to face up to a situation they don't care for.

My tip .. forget the taxi from the airport .. get the train and then bst if staying in bangkok for cheaper and much quicker .. or if going straight to pattaya just get a bus..
For a NEW visitor to Thailand this is useless and awful advice. Apart from the fact there is NO actual detail given......how on earth is a new visitor going to have any chance of getting the most suitable transport based on this load of junk. "get the train" from where? to where? on what route? how do you get a ticket? "then get the bst" how is anyone going to understand that bst is actually BTS? and where to get the BTS? where to stop? and the classic.......if going to pattaya "get a bus". Yeah right just step out of the terminal and a bus will be waiting with your name on it. Really helpful 'tip' that...."get a bus". Next he'll be advising to get a plane to Thailand rather than a container ship.

For a new visitor get a taxi if going to Bkk, only about Bt300 to silom area. Follow the signs from arrivals to the public taxi rank. If going to Pattaya pre-arrange a taxi online with the likes of [p.t.taxi@hotmail.com] they will wait at arrivals with a card bearing your name and you'll be in pattaya by around 2 hours for Bt1000. Even for non newbies i don't understand coming on holiday to save a few baht/pence and having to lug round your luggage from train to train to bus to baht bus, when a taxi driver will take your luggage from you as you appear at arrivals and set it down for you when you reach your accomodation. I just couldn't be bothered with that hassle.

I have personal experience of what can go wrong - I foolishly used a Credit Card to pay a bar bill in a well-known BKK gogo bar (yes, idiotic) .They cloned the card and all hell broke loose with fraudulent transactions when I got back home.
What can you say, this is a poster who spends hours and hours of his time here dispensing advice and availing us of his great 'wisdom' over multiple threads to all and sundry on just about anything and everything whether he has expertise in it or not, yet he uses a credit card at a Bkk gogo bar!

Brithai is 100% correct on the bank issue - UK banks will block your card if you don't notify.It has happened to me with Halifax/Bank of Scotland and Abbey/Santander
While it's probably best to notify your bank, Brithai is not 100% correct on the bank issue, nor is scat-guy -it's not automatic that your card will be blocked. It may be the case with them and/or others but my personal experience is that I have used my bank card to withdraw cash inside a bank with no problem whatsoever. I also use my Bank Of Scotland Mastercard to pay one specific hotel every visit and have done so multiple times for a decade I have never notified them and never had a decline or question. The hotel in question conducts the transaction on the counter in front of you, the card never leaves your sight. The only bank to question a payment was a Citibank business account I used in Singapore and that was for a business expense, ironically it was an account specifically for using abroad and had a roaming clearance.

a447
May 2nd, 2012, 18:16
A bit harsh on Brithai, Newalaan.

I usually catch a taxi cos I can't be bothered with the train, but if I arrive late in the afternoon and the highways are busy, it can take an awful long time to get to Silom. At those times I always take the train. It is easy and well sign - posted. Just go 2 floors down and there it is. As a newbie I remember getting horribly ripped-off by the taxi drivers despite being a very experienced traveler. You and I know it's about 300 baht but a newbie may not be as successful in negotiating the price down to that - especially if he is incapable of finding the train at the airport! Or is incapable of buying a ticket once he found it! And if unfamiliar with Bangkok he could be taken anywhere by a taxi! (Although if he can't follow the signs to the train, he probably won't even make it to a taxi.)
I'd suggest the passenger do his research on the net to find out exactly where the hotel is and learn how to tell the driver, in Thai, that this is not his first visit.
Another advantage of the train over the taxi at any time of day is you escape the bad driving habits of the taxi drivers and have more chance arriving safely at your destination. No tail-gating at 130 kph, no chatting on mobile phones while overtaking in the wrong lane, etc.
The bus to Pattaya is also well sign-posted. These days I just walk out of the arrival lounge, go downstairs and hop on a bus. Easy-peasy!

Manforallseasons
May 2nd, 2012, 18:31
At the moment; keep your expectations realistic!

pennyboy
May 2nd, 2012, 19:07
I have a credit card (barclaycard) and ,as requested, have previously notified them of the dates of any foreign trips.

A few months ago they they stated that this was no longer required.

May 3rd, 2012, 00:26
a447 what you have to understand is not everyone is as much an idiot as dimalan .... i didnt know where the train was when i first used it .. but i saw this sign with a train on it !!!!! now i cant claim to be that clever .. but i had an idea .. hey if i follow the train picture i reckon it may lead me to the train station .. guess what ?? it did ... :party

as for not knowing where my hotel was ... i didnt ... then i had another idea ... ill look at the magic box on my desk ... and if i type in my hotel name ill see what comes up ... and the hotel i booked was there ... on the magic box .. i was so so clever to do all that on my own ..... :glasses7:
i even managed to use a map .. again printed off the magic box .. and found where the nearest bst was .. and i went there ..
now dimalan .. have you managed to work it out yet ??? not everyone is as thick as you are ... some of us are capable of using the grey matter in our heads !!!!! you should try it...
p.s if you are as thick as dimalan ... look for the information booth at the airport ... thats the booth with information written on it ... and ask them for help .... its really not that hard .. belive me .
p.p.s. being as your most vital tip is to hide the remote control .. maybe its best to pass you by :violent1:

gaymandenmark
May 3rd, 2012, 00:29
I have many different credit cards issued in Denmark, I have never told the issuer that I am travelling, and I have never had any problems with blocked cards.
So it must be different from country to country and their "banking system".
Well, to be honest, one of my cards was once blocked, but that was because I had used some kind of a 1 month limit. One phonecall and everything was okay again.
One time I got a letter from Diners when I returned home, they wanted to change my card, not because there had been any fraud to my card, but because they were suspicious that "the telephoneline" in Siam Paragon might had been hacked.

However before, I could have problems with one ATM, I think it is about what system they are using, but then I just used the next ATM or changed from Visa to Mastercard or the other way round.
But the last 2 or 3 years, I have not had that problem.

May 3rd, 2012, 02:13
I would have to say that on the occasions I have had difficulty with blocked cards at ATMs - it has been with DEBIT cards rather than Credit cards (I don't use Credit cards for cash).

I can tell you that, in my experience, both HBOS + Santander positively INSIST you inform them before you go, or you're likely to get sod all out your Debit cards at ATMs

The single credit card incident I had (when it was cloned) was down to naivety on my 1st trip to Thailand.

christianpfc
May 3rd, 2012, 02:44
I never had problems withdrawing money from my Germany bank account (the one which was advertised with no fees for withdrawing foreign currency), and I don't notify my bank. Nonetheless, I bring enough cash for half the holiday for emergency cases.

Hiding the remote control is a good idea. When I shower, I let my friends watch whatever they want, but for horizontal activities, I don't like TV in the background, I just switch it off. How rude of me!

But how can I prevent them from using their mobile phone? Asking them to switch it off was recommended elsewhere, but I'm sure it wouldn't stay off for long. I need a jammer that prevents any calls from coming in or going out. Phonecalls spoiled many a night for me! (You know, the common bullshit: Mamasan calls that mama is in hospital and so on.)

gaymandenmark
May 3rd, 2012, 03:06
I would have to say that on the occasions I have had difficulty with blocked cards at ATMs - it has been with DEBIT cards rather than Credit cards (I don't use Credit cards for cash).
I can tell you that, in my experience, both HBOS + Santander positively INSIST you inform them before you go, or you're likely to get sod all out your Debit cards at ATMs

The single credit card incident I had (when it was cloned) was down to naivety on my 1st trip to Thailand.

Okay I have had a DEBIT card before like Visa Electron, on that card I could not take out more money than there was in the account.
I don't know how they do it tecnical, but there is a direct connection between the ATM and my danish bank, and my bank told me, that when I was abroad, I could not take money out of any ATM, when the bank system was down for some hours every night or because of technical "problems", because they could not control my account.

Does it work different with credit cards? Or is it just up to the issuer how much they control?

gaymandenmark
May 3rd, 2012, 03:14
Phonecalls spoiled many a night for me! (You know, the common bullshit: Mamasan calls that mama is in hospital and so on.)

From my 15 years travelling to Thailand, there have been many sms, and fights about the remote control (making fun wrestling about that dam control), but I have never heard that call during activities :love4:

anonone
May 3rd, 2012, 07:23
Wow. Some great advice in this thread. I have been turning on the TV to the music channel ever since my first trip and it works well. It also provides a little light in the room as most Thai will go through their period of shyness / modesty after exiting the bathroom. I like the tip about hiding the remote control, though luckily this has not (yet) been an issue for me.

The tip about keeping Listerine in the bathroom is great. I also tend to snatch up some extra dental kits (toothbrush and toothpaste) that the airlines hand out. Great to be able to offer your new friend....and that way they are not tempted to use yours. I never keep my toothbrush or razor in the bathroom when having a guest. Many Thai will borrow either one if they want to....

A lot of discussion about calling banks prior to travel. Seems to vary a bit by country. I always call (USA) and no issues with being declined. Don't forget to include any countries you are making flight connections in case your onward flight is delayed and you have to use your card there. I also add a day or two onto my travel dates for the same reason, possible flight delays.

I did have an ATM eat my card once. A quick call to the credit union to cancel the card and all was well. Does reinforce the need to have several ways to obtain funds in case one is cut off for any reason.

Might be overkill, but I scanned my passport and credit cards. I then emailed those scans to my web email account. I now have access to all the card numbers, expiration dates, phone numbers, etc from anywhere with internet access and can print copies if I ever need to.

Keep the address of your hotel / guesthouse / apt / whatever handy on the plane. You will need the address for the immigration card.

Be aware that the advice for taking a bus to Pattaya will not work when you arrive late at night (as is common for visitors from the US). I always have to take a taxi (pre-arranged with guesthouse).

I am a bit ashamed to admit this, but I am going to be carrying ear plugs with me now thanks to this thread. I have experienced the Isaan music club and for those that have not had the experience, their volume control definitely goes up to 11...and I think even higher. Serious hearing issues all the next day. It was a great experience and one that I would like to do again, but it will be with earplugs firmly inserted regardless of the look. Maybe it will start a fashion trend. I am so cool, I don't need to hear you. :sign5: A further tip, the airline versions are pretty cheap and uncomfortable. Most drugstores sell a much higher quality version for very little money, which I now use instead. Also helpful to have on hand for the inevitable loudspeaker nonsense occurring outside your hotel at some point. I even gave some to the BF for him to use at home for when the noise is too much for sleep.

I think I mentioned it once before on this board, but there used to be a great article on Nicky's Gay Pattaya Site as an introduction to the gogo/host bar process. Unfortunately, they have taken it down for some reason and are not able to put it back up. If anyone has it stored somehow (or a re-written version can be written), AND if possible to post it, this was by far the most helpful knowledge prior to my first Pattaya trip. Anyone else see this piece and find it as helpful?

colmx
May 4th, 2012, 02:27
I am a bit ashamed to admit this, but I am going to be carrying ear plugs with me now thanks to this thread. I have experienced the Isaan music club and for those that have not had the experience, their volume control definitely goes up to 11...and I think even higher. Serious hearing issues all the next day.

When my ears are acting up - i usually just stick in one ear plug - into the ear that is facing towards the speaker... this way you don't have to look like a complete loser (justy eccentric) and can still hold a conversation!

joe552
May 4th, 2012, 02:37
but colm, do you never move around and have to keep switching the earplug from ear to ear - no wonder you look eccentric. :occasion9:

colmx
May 4th, 2012, 03:22
The likes of Hollywood, Dave, NAB, tumnanchon etc don't have much room for moving around... squashed in like sardines!
More likely to get cramp from lack of movement than have to switch ears for the plug!!

joe552
May 4th, 2012, 03:42
ah, you make it sound like a 'must visit' place (not). jeez, you're really making me feel old now

anonone
May 4th, 2012, 05:36
I don't have a lot of problem with the music volume in Dave or Nab. Probably due to the position of the tables I end up at or something, but it has not bothered me much.

The club I visited in Isaan...a whole different thing. Not really a disco...had live music with recorded music between acts and such. Not Isaan music, more rock and roll and dance. But the volume was beyond belief. Like nothing I had experienced before. Great fun, but damn if I could hear anything the next day. And man was the whiskey cheap. I wish all the check bins were like that.....

August 15th, 2012, 16:28
If it hasn't already been mentioned ( and it sounds so bloody obvious but I and many others I'm sure have made this mistake whilst on holiday) beware that ATM machines in Thailand give you your cash first and THEN return your ATM card, as in the UK certainly it's the other way round based on the fact that they know that people will be so busy concentrating on just getting their cash that once they've got it they take off, forgetting to collect their card! This is EXACTLY what I did a few weeks back myself as after getting my cash I drove away on a motorbike taxi and on realising my mistake not two minutes later I went back to the machine but needless to say there my card was no longer in the slot.

Thankfully in my case it was a quiet 7-11 shop I had used and there was an old food seller woman working right next to the machine who assured one had been up to the machine since I left and and I believe that if you don't collect your card at a short period after taking your cash the ATM machine swallows it back up again but again as this WAS at a 7-11 machine the shop have no way of returning your card to you and even if you go to the bank min branch ( as I did) likewise they can't help meaning you need to cancel your card back at home, which is a pain, so I would suggest always bringing at least two cards - actually I would say 3 minimum and different types of cards if possible i.e VISA / Mastercard ./ AMex or whatever, plus a debit card to give you a full range if certain machines go down etc and keep them all stored separately in case "shit happens".

Thankfully my card was only a debit card and not a credit card in this case so without the pin number being available even if someone did lift it (which I doubt in this case actually) there was no harm done, but as always things like this are just one piece of stress you can do without whilst on holiday so remember to slow down, take your cash and WAIT for your card to come back !

latintopxxx
August 15th, 2012, 18:16
..don't be impatient
..don't get angry
..smile
..remember you are a guest
..once a price has been agreed ALWAYS honour it
..remember it's their country and if you don't like it LEAVE
..not everyone speaks passable English
..don't raise your voice
..smile back
..do try the local street food..afterall thats why God created imodium
..be thankful you get the opporrtunity to travel to exotic far flung places

lexusgs
August 15th, 2012, 18:19
Great advice NIrish. :notworthy: I thought I was the only wanker here. That has happened to me 3 times in the last 6 weeks. Thankfully I've used pretty isolated ATM's which were not that busy. Thank fuck the ATM swallows the card. Always in too much of a hurry before the club and you get the cash and forget the friggin card! I've got an account with K Bank here which makes it very quick and easy to replace the card. Quite easy to open an account and just transfer your money 1 time a month. No 150 bht fee each time you withdraw. If you lose the card like I have you just walk into any K Bank branch pay 150 bht and you have a new card in your hand complete with new PIN. Much easier when compared to the pain in the ass if it's your UK card that gets lost etc.

Neal
August 15th, 2012, 19:43
Thos are avail with TMB Bank also.

Magnum
August 17th, 2012, 01:21
For the real newbies:

- if you have to pay for something (transport, boy, etc.) always agree the price before

- as a German it was new to me that everybody is friendly and open. But keep in mind that at the end everybody is expecting something, there is no free lunch

thrillbill
August 18th, 2012, 19:58
With my experience, Tuk Tuks are more expensive than taking a taxi, and taxis are airconditioned. 90% of the time I do not have problem with the BKK taxi during on his meter, but I keep a watch to make sure it is turned on (starts at 35baht , i think). Sometimes a taxi may be sitting around in front of a hotel or a place such as Babylon and they ask for a set price. Though they may not use the meter, the set price may be just 30-50 baht more than using the meter. A set price may occur during the rain also. U to you if you want to accept the taxi driver's price or not.

If you carry a small bag with you (holds cell phone, camera, maps and such) it helps to put a dry wash cloth or hanky (what are those?) so you have something decent to dry your hands with. The so called "napkins" in Thailand are similar to toilet paper. When walking with a package or bag with strap, try to keep the items away from the street, put on the pedistrian side. This discourages motorbike theives grabbing your shoulder bad if is not within his reach (this seldom happens-don't panic).

Try to have the exact baht change...so many vendors, store cashiers, and taxis do not have the correct change (airport taxis are good in this...instant tip).

If you are traveling with hand luggage only (no checked in luggage) and cannot bring your toiletries, you can get the smaller sizes (shampoo, deordorant, skin cream and cleanser, toothpaste....) at a local Seven Eleven in Thailand.

Beware of touts that are tailors or stand in front of tourist sites trying to get your business.

When it is a "visit temple day" wear your fip flops (sandals), easier to take off and put one when at a temple.

ceejay
August 18th, 2012, 20:21
Try to have the exact baht change...so many vendors, store cashiers, and taxis do not have the correct change (airport taxis are good in this...instant tip).
If you take money out of an ATM at the airport, make it an odd amount, not whole thousands where you will just get 1,000 baht notes. I get baht 9,900 which will usually give you 9 x 100 baht notes (or 1x500 plus 4x100) for the taxi fare and expressway tolls.

gaymandenmark
August 18th, 2012, 21:57
Or ask at the counter next to the ATM if they can split that 1000 into smaller notes, I have never been refused, or go into the shops at the airport, buy a pack of chewing gum and pay with a 1000 notes.