PDA

View Full Version : Hot, Roan, Suffering

kjun12
April 28th, 2012, 17:41
Friends, it has been really hot here in Bangkok. Worse than I remember it being any year since I've been living here. Air conditioners have make life easier but I really hate confining myself to the house or other air conditioned places. When I was a kid we didn't even have an air conditioner. I was 16 when we got our first one and my high school was never cooled. How did we survive? I guess we just never realized how bad it was and just lived with it. Now, I've become a pussy and have to admit it. Such is life.

hai336
April 29th, 2012, 04:47
Time for some Thai iced tea!

anonone
April 29th, 2012, 05:02
It seems every conversation this trip starts with "roan mak mak". I agree the heat has been brutal. I am certainly spending more time inside air conditioned gogo bars then outdoor host bars. And I know Bangkok is hotter than here in Pattaya.

Something just occurred to me. Are there issues with tourists getting into medical problems from not being used to the heat? I don't recall every hearing about this, but this heat has to difficult for someone not used to tropical type heat. Hmm?

kjun12
April 29th, 2012, 05:40
anonone, you pose an interesting question. I got dizzy this week while walking around Chatuchak market. Surely other have had, at least, similar experiences.

cdnmatt
April 29th, 2012, 06:44
Yeah, this year is just brutal for some reason. And it doesn't stop! Been going for almost 3 months now I think. I even started a post about it a couple months ago:

post247745.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/post247745.html)

It's fine for the 1st month, because you just shrug it off as the joys of living in SE Asia. Starting to get tiresome now though. Although, past couple days have been excellent due to cloud and rains, but that clear sky and +41C is a bit unbearable. Especially since we don't have any air conditioning, except the bedroom, so we're basically stuck outside in the shade with fans all day. heh, makes me realize I'm sitting here thinking +29C is a nice, cool, comfortable day. I'm going to freeze next time I visit Canada. :-)

ceejay
April 29th, 2012, 14:24
anonone, you pose an interesting question. I got dizzy this week while walking around Chatuchak market. Surely other have had, at least, similar experiences.
I think you were pretty brave to go to Chatuchak at all in this weather. I reckon that it gets a good 10 degrees hotter than the outside in there - it must have been close to 50 while you were there. I'd recommend visiting early in the day, at any time of the year, to avoid the heat (the crowds aren't quite as bad either). There are one or two air conditioned cafes in there somewhere (sorry, it's no good asking me for directions on how to find anything in Chatuchak) that you can duck into for a bit of respite.
Yes, I have had the odd attack of dizziness from the heat in the past. To avoid it there are three things which, taken together, work for me:
If you walk around, do it at a nice even, steady, pace. Don't speed up unless you really need to (dodging a motocy on the pavement for example)
Have a dose of rehydration salts before you go out.
Drink water little and often through the day. Don't wait till you feel the need of it. That's too late.
I'd add don't drink alcohol - but that one might fall on deaf ears for some of us! Seriously, if you are hung over, you need to get rehydrated before you face these sort of temperatures outside.

Neal
April 29th, 2012, 15:56
The set up I have is like bungalows. I walk out of the bedroom, outside, and to the open air kitchen. I get what I want and rush back to the air-conditioned bedroom. God I don't want to look at the next electric bill! Lst month was 2,000 baht higher than normal! :crybaby:

April 29th, 2012, 16:51
I sympathise -
it's roasting here as well -
8c yesterday - had to get the factor 30 sunblock out

:glasses7: :glasses7: :glasses7:

joe552
April 29th, 2012, 17:01
it's sweltering here in Dublin too - 6 degrees right now - couldn't possibly go out in that

Neal
April 29th, 2012, 17:08
Grrrrrr! You ought to go to hell! Picking on a roasted turkey like that! I would rather be in the cold than the heat except where I came from in the cold had no little chickens to keep me warm at night. :munky2:

April 29th, 2012, 17:17
.. no little chickens to keep me warm at night....

Neal, you're all confused!
Where I come from chickens go on the spitroast.
You've got them providing it.

:party

joe552
April 29th, 2012, 17:18
has DaBoss been at the sherry again? I couldn't understand his last post. Maybe the heat has addled his brain? :dontknow:

April 29th, 2012, 17:21
Probably just another night of too much nookie, Joe.

:evil4:

joe552
April 29th, 2012, 17:34
can you HAVE too much nooky?

Neal
April 29th, 2012, 17:41
Well where I come from the punters as you call them are usually looking for little "chickens" to feed. Here chickie chickie.....want a little money chickie chickie! :tongue1:

April 29th, 2012, 18:07
can you HAVE too much nooky?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectal_prolapse

I rest my case.

:occasion9:

joe552
April 29th, 2012, 18:10
such a thing for a Sunday conversation (and no, I didn't follow the link) - I feel I know enough about you as it is :pottytrain2:

Neal
April 29th, 2012, 18:49
I didn't go to that link because if I remember it was a rectum turned inside out that he posted a while back and I was sick for days after I saw it. Just thinking about it gets me sick all over again!

joe552
April 29th, 2012, 18:58
well it obviously flares up from time to time and he just has to share about it. poor guy

anonone
April 29th, 2012, 19:44
A very good reason why I am a TOP. :sign5: no such worries.

April 29th, 2012, 19:45
It is just information, no pics.

Just consider it friendly advice :evil4:

:party

joe552
April 29th, 2012, 20:10
I'd rather not consider it all, thanks very much.

Now getting back on topic - is it still hot in Thailand? 'cos it's still freezing here in Dublin

colmx
April 29th, 2012, 21:21
is it still hot in Thailand? 'cos it's still freezing here in Dublin
Haha i thought it was just me that thought it was freezing in Dublin!
Sitting here on my sofa warpped in a sleeping bag with my heating on FULL!
Thought it was my Post Pattaya Depression that was making me so cold....

RonanTheBarbarian
April 30th, 2012, 05:04
It is bloody freezing here in Dublin!

I turned my heating on today for the first time in a month.

There is an old song some boys in an English public school used to sing on May Day...the chorus went:

"The first of May! The first of May!
Outdoor f*cking starts today!"

Well, unless something dramatic happens to the temperature in the next 24 hours, they would get frostbite if they tried that in Dublin THIS First of May...

kjun12
April 30th, 2012, 05:34
You guys are sad. I hope your too toos get frost bitten.

colmx
April 30th, 2012, 06:18
You guys are sad. I hope your too toos get frost bitten.
So do i ... Might stimulate me into writing a trip report or booking my next trip... instead of wallowing in Post Pattaya Depression!

Gotta admit that in coming to Thailand in April for 9 of the last 11 years... i have never found the heat as oppressive as this year....

cameroncat
April 30th, 2012, 09:50
You know it's HOT in Bangkok when my Thai Boyfriend tells me it's too HOT to go outside! I saw a temperature listed of 104F! This kind of weather is what holds me back from moving to Thailand. I guess one could always run back to the homeland from March thru May LOL