View Full Version : What will happen to the new Oscars

lonelywombat
April 22nd, 2012, 04:01
OK since you brought David up as the old owner of Oscars and night manager of LeCafe Royale the reason he said that was because I did not mince words when prior I posted to this forum that I thought it was the dumbest idea for the owners of LeCafe Royal to hire him to be the night manager. I continued on with saying that he could not even fix up a small outside bar like Oscar's and draw a great crowd how the hell was he supposed to help run a big place like Le Cafe Royale?! It was further proven to me when they started the bar b ques on Sunday nights. David would wobble down to Oscar's every chance he got and leave LeCafe Royale unattended and while he was attending to his bar all the boys would run over to LeCafe Royale and steal all the food as there was no accounting for it as it was all you could eat. It was pathetic. David, who cares where you want to advertise, just get back into that huge duck costume and waddle away!! Now that Oscars is sold maybe they can fix it up and draw cuatomers and David can do his best and sit at Cafe Royale!

This post raised the subject of new Owners at Oscars. What are the plans? Will they continue with the same style bar? It is a relief that the bar 's future is settled hopefully.

Ive had several very good nights there over the years and thought it was great.

joe552
April 22nd, 2012, 04:13
Is Oscar's the bar to the right of Panorama? Small bar in the corner with a few tables outside? I've enjoyed many nights in Panorama, but never saw the attraction of that other bar.

Neal
April 22nd, 2012, 06:21
Next to Panorama is Serene and next to Serene is Oscars which is the old My Way or My Place that Terry with the little poodle used to own. Now also please understnd that this was what I was told and I was told that all the employees either left or were let go. I DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS A FACT, as right after that I got ill and was not able to confirm it. If anyone knows if it is fact or not, please let the board know.

April 22nd, 2012, 20:28
IF that is correct (about the employees being let go) then it will be a remarkable turnaround - one of the conditions of the sale (when originally put on the market) was that the existing employees were retained.

Oh, and the poodle was called Coco :wav:

:occasion9:

Neal
April 22nd, 2012, 21:09
The tale I was told was not that they were let go but in fact left. I never saw anyone of interest there anyway. Well I do hope they spen 2000 baht and fix the steps in front. David never could afford it! :laughing3:

joe552
April 23rd, 2012, 03:15
I remember seeing the guy with the little poodle - too gay for words!

April 23rd, 2012, 04:10
I remember seeing the guy with the little poodle - too gay for words!

And yet - I think he told me that for many years he was in the Navy (and I don't mean he sang the Village People song).

If so, Roger the cabin-boy springs to mind. :evil4:

Pattaya is so very bland now, very few characters like Terry.

By the way, the poodle (Coco) was often taken around by motorcycle taxi - sitting on the driver with its paws on the handlebar console.

:party

joe552
April 23rd, 2012, 04:15
maybe it's the power of suggestion, but I'm sure I saw that little dog on a motorbike (not on its own), while I sat in Panorama. the place just seemed too small to me, compared to being able to sit in Panorama and drink alone or with company as I chose.

April 23rd, 2012, 04:26
Part of the attraction for me was that Terry used to open up "My Life" (as it was called) around 3-4pm - when there was nowhere else open apart from the Hotel terraces. Nice to just sit down and have quiet drink and chat without any "staff".

joe552
April 23rd, 2012, 04:34
who were you chatting to if there were no staff?

April 23rd, 2012, 04:45
Terry

joe552
April 23rd, 2012, 04:47
never met the man, but remember his dog.

lonelywombat
April 23rd, 2012, 06:05
Have to agree that Oscars and Serene were my more preferred places for a social drink, rather than Panorama. Late afternoon when it was too hot on the beach and the beer bars still too hot, I found Oscars very pleasant.

Often had a chat with Terry and he was always impressed with number of boys being offed from his bar based on the size. Partly because of the size of Panorama, every body has been with the same boys, more regulars than other bars

Panorama had an earlier opening and later closing time and a lot of use was made of the local hotels in same street, as short time rooms. Same rooms as used for short times [?] massage rooms as well.

Really not sure why the place was so hard to sell or maybe somebody wanted too much.

Dboy
April 25th, 2012, 08:41
I never saw anyone of interest there anyway.

Ah, I know of one... "Jean" (Oscars). He's beautiful. Wonder if he's still around.

Neal
April 25th, 2012, 08:56
I never saw anyone of interest there anyway.

Ah, I know of one... "Jean" (Oscars). He's beautiful. Wonder if he's still around.
Not so good if you only found one in a bar that made your prick rise a little, no? :dontknow:

greenteaman
May 3rd, 2012, 14:26
I never knew the old queen with the poodle , but doesa that matter ------but I know David ,He's a nice chap and has done a lot for the cHarity scene in boys town , I wondered why he was ever taken on as night Manager after Mikes demise considering he owned and ran Oscars Bar at the same time , it's true to say The cafe Royal as a business needs full time attendance by the Night manager , I watched Daved wander off down to his bar a dozen times a night to host his oiwn customers .cant blame him he had that flexibility handed to him ,
but Heclosed up the Cafe royal early where as Mike drew a good crowd and kept the flow of trade best he could ,
I recall a conversation with Mike during which he said the good days are gone ,

colmx
May 4th, 2012, 02:36
Maya, X-Ray, Dude, Dave and NAB killed the cafe royale... Not the lack of a night manager... or Toi/El Duos dubious singing

Before Mike was ever there Ian Reid was rarely seen on the premises after 1AM and Robbie was not exactly the type of personsonality to draw people in for a conversation (like Ian and Mike were)

But LCR was still packed every night.... why?
Because there was no place else for the free lancers and the thirsty farangs to go after BBB closed...

Myself and friends spent many a night in LCRs bar with Noom and the gang and many mornings would only head off when Ian McKnight came in start his shift... at which time we would realise it was waaay too late to still be drinking!

When the late night clubs opened - LCR stopped drawing the crowds... and there is no way that they can ever draw them back (except if a strict curfew is imposed and all discos are shut... and late night drinking is still permittted in hotel bars!)

May 4th, 2012, 05:23
In my view, the criticism is getting ridiculous.

LCR was going downhill for years - to the extent that there was almost zero customers at night and the food was, frankly, inedible.

David has done a good job flogging a dying horse - the food is now edible and he has made an effort to update the entertainment. There is no doubt in my mind that he has improved the product he inherited.

The fact that he was running 2 venues at the same time, is not a valid criticism of him.
I find him a warm and genuine guy.

Not everybody wants to go to night clubs that go on to 6am or whatever - I very much appreciate LCR being open after the BT bars have closed so that I (and my party) can get a meal and have a pleasant hour or two before going to bed.

:occasion9:

colmx
May 4th, 2012, 06:08
In my view, the criticism is getting ridiculous.

Just for clarity i was not criticizing David..
I don't know him... but my BF used to be friends with a lot of the La Cage boys and all give a very positive feedback on him.

Yes, not everybody wants to go to a nightclub... but the fact is the world has moved on and the LCR is a dead/dying horse... and i fear that SG and his party may not be enough to keep it going in its current format - despite the huge improvements...

The older generation are either staying in their US/EU homes, hibernating in their Thai abodes or drinking in Sunnee until closing time
The middle generation are chasing after their youth in the night clubs (like me!)
The younger generation ae staying away from a mainly MoneyBoy City... or else they are loud russian dancing queens (thats another story though!!) :evil4:

May 21st, 2012, 19:59
BUMP!

Any more known on this topic yet - like who has bought it, is it still open or is it closed, etc?

:dontknow:

May 21st, 2012, 21:34
BUMP!

Any more known on this topic yet - like who has bought it, is it still open or is it closed, etc?

I do not know anything about the ownership of the bar but I walked by the bar Sunday night around 1015 or so and there was one customer and about 6 staff. None of the bars that have outside seating had any major business. It was extremely slow there from what I could tell.

May 22nd, 2012, 18:23
It's been over a month since The Wombat told us that Oscar's had a new owner.

Being in mind that Boyztown is a goldfish bowl - I can't understand why nobody seems to know anything about the new owner :dontknow: :dontknow:

Is he the Invisible Man or something?

It's kinda bizarre.

:party

June 14th, 2012, 15:56
BUMP!

21st April this news was posted by the Wombat - and still nobody knows for sure if it's true?
How can it be that with an open bar in the heart of BT, nobody has seen a new owner?
Also, unless I've missed it, no mention in Nicky's guide which normally has all the openings/closings/transfers.

This seems exceedingly strange......

lexusgs
June 14th, 2012, 17:35
SG,

All know is that some Ozzy guy bought it. I attended the Queens Jubilee celebrations a week or so ago (yes I was in Cafe Royale for the forst time in years :tongue3:)
David, the former owner mentioned that he had waited a long period of time for the right price. As for the identity of the guy I have no idea other than where he is from.
Incidentally, the whole of that soi looks bloody quiet. Only sign of some life are the regulars mincing into Panorama to hold on for their one drink for the whole night. :bounce:

June 14th, 2012, 18:58
Lexugs - thanks for info.
Good to hear confirmation of the sale from the horses mouth - although David is more of an old mare :sign5:
However, I would take the rest of his comments (about waiting for the right price) with a big pinch of salt.

Sorry to hear that the area seems dead - but somebody will no doubt post that somewhere else was packed out at 11.30pm on a Saturday night so there's nothing to worry about :evil4:

I think however that it does suggest that significant numbers of (gay) tourists who would have previously come to Thailand and patronised the gay areas are either staying at home or going elsewhere.

:hello2:

pennyboy
June 14th, 2012, 19:58
I went into Oscars a few nights ago. Only 2 other customers and 4 boys and no-one who appeared to be the owner.
Had 1 beer (120bt) and left.
Serene was also quiet althought Panorama was fairly busy but it might have been their lucky draw night.

lexusgs
June 14th, 2012, 20:02
Having been on my career break for the last 14 months it's interesting to check out how the the scene in Pattaya is migrating even more towards web based entertainment. It would appear that
Gayromeo and Grindr are going from strength to strength. Or maybe it's the time of year. You're right in stating that someone will probably disagree and state that the bars are busy etc etc.
The places that ARE really busy right now are the clubs. Dave, NAB are consistently busy with some decent looking guys.Trinagle club has a few guys at weekends. Not sure about Idol club as it seems to open and close so often. I tend to take a few friends when I'm going out but I have also noticed that there is a lot of Thai4Thai so not I would n't call the clubs an easy place for a farang pick up alone. The only thing I could comment on regarding a decline is that the world has changed. The next generation of guys don't really have the same outlook in terms of their sexuality from say 20yrs ago. The need to travel 10/12 hours to 'enjoy oneself' have long gone. I believe that is an ingredient in the slow / long term decline of Gay Pattaya. Still, it's a great place to chill out in for a while. Plus, living costs are half of what I would be paying back home :tongue3:

Oh and a final thought. There is definitely a decline in the quality of the guys in the go go bars. I don't want to be accused of terming the guys as 'pieces of meat' as I respect the fact that they
get up on stage night after night in their underwear. I guess the Thai economy is forging ahead and there are better ways of earning a living for the guys going forward.

Patanawet
July 14th, 2012, 11:12
Well, I don't know about the whereabouts of the previous waiters from Oscar's (maybe you could ask David if he is in touch with any of them) but GOH, the popular manager is now manager at The Balcony in Silom Soi 4 in Bangkok.
Before working for David as manager at Oscar's, Goh managed La Cage when David owned that.
There is a message on Balcony's monthly newsletter welcoming Goh and wishing the departing manager Toto good luck in his new venture.
If you're interested, you could subscribe to the newsletter from their homepage at http://www.balconypub.com/
Regards.

July 14th, 2012, 16:12
Well I haven't been able to see for myself whats happening - but from what others say it seems to be case of a dead bar with an absentee owner.

Such a shame - all the boys there were so sweet.

Manforallseasons
July 14th, 2012, 16:31
Why does anyone really care who the new owner is? Whom ever it is David will be a hard act to follow.

July 14th, 2012, 17:16
Why does anyone really care who the new owner is? Whom ever it is David will be a hard act to follow.

Well I don't care who the owner is - but it was my favourite bar just to sit and relax at, hence my interest

witchhunt
July 14th, 2012, 17:39
kind of a nodding relationship with management?

martin911
July 15th, 2012, 05:17
It was the only place in Btown that i enjoyed having a drink in ( sitting Outside that is )

I passed there earlier ---12.30 on a sat nite --and only 2 boys visible and not 1 customer that i could see as i passed -

Impulse
July 15th, 2012, 09:08
I took off a young man called Ben from there. What a nice guy and great looking. I hope he will still be there my next trip. I asked him how much did he want at the end of the night and he said "Up to you". But then realising he had an opportunity he said...."1500 baht? ".