PDA

View Full Version : Gone or Forgotten

BonTong
April 16th, 2012, 16:11
I might be stepping into the gladiators arena here, or maybe this thread will sink like a stone (which would be very telling). Below is a link to a recent blog post for which I have received some interesting feedback:

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/blog.php?id=135

One interesting perspective is that the way Thai's view this and the ways Farangs view it are quite different.

BTW, the site is a brand new current news website about Chiang Mai by the publishers of Chiang Mai CityLife magazine. Worth book marking if you have an interest in Chiang Mai (even if you don't like my contributions :crybaby: )

joe552
April 16th, 2012, 17:59
a very interesting piece - thanks for posting.

paperboy
April 16th, 2012, 20:02
frighting really

April 16th, 2012, 20:53
Interesting piece - but the fact of the matter is that people (in the West at least) are now living decades after being diagnosed with HIV.

Yes, there may be extremely nasty side effects of the medication etc but HIV is no longer the automatic death sentence that it was in (since you mention him) Rock Hudson's era.

That is not to say that we ought to be complacent or to minimise the impact on individuals - or to overlook the far more serious situation in other parts of the world where early diagnosis and effective intervention is not readily available. The medical outcomes in such situations are still depressingly poor.

However, for those in the West, it does explain to an extent why the HIV issue is not given the overriding importance it once was. Whether that is wise, right or proper is another matter entirely.

Wesley
April 17th, 2012, 04:39
The Philippines on the other hand are aggressive in the way they treat AIDS, every big holiday they hit the bars with free AIDS checks that work in 20 minutes while you are having a beer. After that you are immediately given help in a clinic in the gay area of Manila. The meds are 78 dollars a month much less than hospital bills I pay here even after insurance pays. the medication is free the only thing tht is a bitch is having to take a train to the location then take what ever you can afford to get the rest of the way but for another dollar you can get there. I know little about Thailand other than Dr Phillip, I have no idea how to spell his last name, but I her he does a great work there for free mostly. as to the antivirals that they give you I am sure tbey are tough on you. My best friend was taken and stayed with me until he died but had lived 30 years afer he was diagnosed. So there is hope, but older, old farts like me, doesn't need more to deal with , so carry with you condoms an what ever else you need o be safe.