PDA

View Full Version : Early start to Songkran

a447
April 14th, 2012, 19:00
On the baht bus heading towards Jomtien yesterday we were soaked over and over again. An English guy started berating 2 young Russians who were standing on the back of the bus holding supersoakers. "├Пt's you farangs who fuck things up for everyone. Songkran starts next week! You are too early!"
Must admit, I have to agree. Today I was walking down to Central Festival Shopping Centre to buy some shoes and shirts. On the way I was drenched - by farangs, of course. I can always go home and get changed. But is the early start harming business here? I was unable to go the Cental festival, as I couldn't try anything on! So they lost my business. I won't even try to get there tomorrow. Also, I don't want to wander over to Sunee if I'm going to get wet. And will have to keep away from Jomtien, too. Shame, as I wanted to go back to Duo massage.
I always thought Songkran started here around the 19th. I always come to Pattaya first and then after Songkran finishes in Bangkok, I head there. That way I've managed to miss it over the years. (First few times were great, but then got a bit boring)
Some enterprising baht bus owner should think of putting up plastic to close the bus in and protect passengers from the water. He can always remove it once Songkran starts in earnest.

travelerjim
April 14th, 2012, 19:21
a447...

Welcome to the I Hate Songkran Club...
Unfortunate you were soaked yesterday...I was soaked the day before - On Thursday.

The official Thai Songkran is April 13-16...
In Pattaya it is supposed to be April 18-19.

However, the girlie bars encourage the start of the water mayhem...
whenever...from this week through next Thursday ...

The expats and drunks...get to show off their Songkran spirit by dousing
anyone - anyhere.

The Thais like to party-party-party...
so they will Songkran every day in Pattaya in one form or another.

Good luck...head to Bangkok after Monday...
Sorry you have experienced the real Pattaya foolery at Songkran.

Stay in - Stay dry!

tj

April 18th, 2012, 15:02
Whatever you do and where ever you are, Songkran starts on 13-4-2012 early morning with a procession to the local Wat and on your way there, you may symbolically clean the passers by. At the Wat you clean the Buddha-statues (big and small), gathered by the locals.
Early morning is around 6 a.m. and not 1 a.m.

Officially, Songkran is 13, 14 and 15. Unfortunately, because of the fact that 14 and 15 April are in a weekend, 16 and 17 are substitute holidays.

Fact is, that on the 12th people are warming up and trying out their devices which are extensively used on the 13, 14 and 15 and yes...........after celebrating Songkran with the family........colleagues and friends cam't stay behind, so there will be a replay on 16, 17, 18, 19 up to the 21st, depending on the location.

You may think, that in Pattaya the farangs are the culprits........maybe; the same lunatics can be found up-country and that are mostly Thai.