PDA

View Full Version : Suriwongse Hotel

kittyboy
April 14th, 2012, 12:03
Can anyone tell me about the Suriwongse Hotel?
I will be in BKK in mid August and I am looking for a hotel in the Silom area for around 1200 baht a night.

I usually stay at the Malaysia Hotel but have been disappointed the last couple of times I stated there. The coffee shop used to be loads of fun with all the money boys running around but I think management has chased them away.

Anyway, thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. I am travelling with friends and their budget is 1200 a night. I understand that there are nicer hotels nearby and rooms can be had for a mere 300-400 baht a night more....etc..etc..

My friends budgets are 1200 a night max.

a447
April 14th, 2012, 18:35
Kittyboy, I guess you are referring to the hotel down the soi other side of the road from Soi twilight. If I am correct, then I went there once for short time with a bar boy. It was pretty disgusting. Maybe they have done some renovations - dont know - but unless they have, stay away. It was filthy.
I'm really surprised you can't find anything reasonable for 1200 baht. I'll be back in BKK in a couple of days time and if you want me to, I will have a quick look for you in the Silom area, where I stay.

kittyboy
April 14th, 2012, 19:19
Yes that is the hotel. I like the location. How long ago did you stay there? Just curious...the hotel website pictures has the place looking decent but good lighting and photoshop can work wonders. Look around and give us a report back. I am looking on some of the hotel booking websites but it is a pain in the ass. I saw one hotel advertised for about 2,000 baht but with discount 1500. The hotel website will book the same room for 1400, so my conclusion is using a hotel booking website is not going to save much or any money...oh well.

ceejay
April 14th, 2012, 19:34
You could look at the Sathorn Inn. I haven't stayed there myself, but Bao Bao's blog has a reasonable review of it.

http://khunbaobao.blogspot.co.uk/2011/0 ... n-inn.html (http://khunbaobao.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/accommodations-part-12-sathorn-inn.html)

http://sathorninn.com/

April 14th, 2012, 19:43
I can help with this -

I have stayed at the Suriwongse hotel on many occasions - from before it was renovated.

I have only ever booked into the suites on the top floor

Prior to the renovations it was very basic and run down - basically a lot of short-time trade - up to around 2005.
The coffee-shop was known as a place to pick up freelancers.
The restaurant was pretty good.
The reception staff and 24hr Security guard were all pleasant.
And very, very handy for Twilight and Screw Boy in Patpong

The quirkiest thing about the Suriwongse was (and probably still is) they have a set of toilets on the reception floor but the Security Guard keeps the toilet roll behind his desk!!! You have to ask for it!!

Since the renovations the 24hr coffee shop no longer has freelancers but is a n extremely pleasant place to have a few drinks before going out or on returning , the rooms are better decorated. The restaurant was still pretty good with a reasonable wine selection, and the toilet roll remained under supervision!

BUT - the reason I stopped staying was that the last time (around 4 yrs ago) the suite they gave me was cockroach infested! And I'm talking BIG cockroaches - as soon as the bellboy opened the room and turned the light on there were 4 or 5 huge cockroaches scuttling about (including on the bed)
I was horrified, the bellboy seemed quite bewildered that anybody should be scared of cockroaches and said "No problem - you go drink in bar and we clean room". Since I had stayed there many times, I gave them the opportunity to do so.

However, after a couple of drinks i was taken back to the room and again I saw 1 or 2 large cockroaches right away.

At that point I refused to take the room (from memory just under 2000B) and they gave me a cheaper room on a lower floor - which was (significantly I think) CARPET and cockroach free. I had no further problems of any kind.

But it did put me off staying there ever again - maybe that was unfair :dontknow: but it was how I felt. Now, a few years on I might give it a try again (for old time's sake) but I would take an uncarpeted room.

The next time I went to BKK I stayed at the Strand Inn in Patpong (I don't know if it is still there) It was expensive but excellent - I had a roof bungalow (infact my party took all 3 roof bungalows) - with jacuzzi baths etc.

If you are familiar with the area - walk past the door of Screw Boy and there is the Pavilion Place hotel - it is reasonable priced and clean.
Also, walk a little further and theres a group of small covered bars open to the street - one is called HORSESHOES. The lady who runs it - LEK (what else!) - is very friendly and helpful - buy a couple of beers and she will tell you (or even show you if she has other staff in) good, clean, reasonable places to stay.

Hope that helps.

:occasion9:

goji
April 14th, 2012, 20:40
Try the Om Yim.
http://www.omyimgroup.com/home/index.php

April 14th, 2012, 21:42
I' ve only stayed in bkk once before at Om Yim..i liked it so staying there again when i go back in may

naklua
April 14th, 2012, 22:19
I have stayed at the Suriwong a few times. Before it was partially renovated a few years ago it was very basic and at times dirty. A few years ago they did some renovation work; at least the rooms on the 4th floor and the coffee shop were done.
A room on the 4th floor is about 1,600 THB, but comes w/o windows. The bathroom is quite big (bath tub) and is separated from the bed room by a semi-transparent glass front.
There still might be the occassional cockroach.
The location is superb, but the rooms are not (for their price).
Pinnacle Lumpinee is better value IMHO. However, it is not walking distance to Soi Twilight. You can take the subway to Saladaend (one station) or take a taxi for approx. 40 to 50 THB.

Marsilius
April 14th, 2012, 22:52
I can beat cockroaches. I used to enjoy the Nana Hotel - I still swear that its beds were among the most comfortable that I've ever slept in - until I found myself walking down a corridor on an upper floor following an enormous rat that was bigger than any other I've ever seen. And the rat wasn't just scuttling along, but sauntering boldly as if he owned the place!

joe552
April 15th, 2012, 01:08
I've slept with a few rats in my time, but never in a Thai hotel :occasion9:

April 15th, 2012, 05:58
I can recommend Sathorn Inn staff dont give a rats about who you bring back no ID card check no joiner fee only problem can be noise from building sight next door dont bother with coffee shop breakfast is not worth it Chinese owner good English speaker and always obliging very clean no cockroaches balcony for smoking.

kittyboy
April 15th, 2012, 17:02
Thanks guys..I will check out the hotels. I am booking for a group so I feel the need to do some due diligence in booking a hotel.
The lack of freelancers in the Surwonge hotel coffee shop is a disappointment. I must admit I do like the seedy atmosphere a group of freelancers hanging out looking for company provides. From the management's view I understand the rationale for chasing them away.....upgraded facilities...no longer a cheap love hotel...etc... but a certain seedy charm goes away with the money boys.
I guess I like to feel a bit superior having money boys hit me up...even though it is about money, for a stout (not fat god dammit I have big bones) guy it is an ego massage.

April 16th, 2012, 00:11
Yes, the Suriwongse coffee shop used to be great for freelancers - even if you couldn't sleep you could nip down at 3am and choose a boy from a good assortment !!
All gone I'm afraid.

One time I was there I got in conversation with a group of guys who didn't even bother going into the bars - they got a bottle of whisky (or 2) in the Suriwongse coffee shop and if none of the freelancers there interested them they taxied it to the Malaysia coffee shop and did the same!!

The last time I looked in the Malaysia, the coffee shop trade had disappeared as well - but I read some recent reports on here that there may be something going on again??
Can anybody inform us?

:occasion9:

sydneyboy
April 17th, 2012, 15:57
What are your favourite short term hotels around Suriwong that meet good standards of cleanliness?

Neal
April 17th, 2012, 17:44
You may get a larger suggestion of hotels if you started a new thread asking for suggestions in that area rather than tacking it onto this thread.

a447
April 20th, 2012, 12:56
I checked out a couple of places for you, Kitty. Some were over your budget, but the BBB Inn - which is also a massage place is 1200. I walked in and was surrounded by massage boys. You could have enough fun there and not even need to leave the hotel!
Next door is the Takeanap Hotel. Singles 1000, doubles 1300. They even have dormitory accommodation. Imagine what that would be like if everyone brought someone back for a fun night!