PDA

View Full Version : 7 things I love about Thailand, just returned

lonelywombat
April 13th, 2012, 06:32
cut and paste from gaytravel

http://www.gaytravel.com/blog/entry/dav ... 6_s_c1.jpg (http://www.gaytravel.com/blog/entry/davey-wavey-7-things-i-love-about-thailand?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Davey+Wavey+in+Thailand%2C+Oh+My!&utm_source=YMLP&utm_term=tiger_580_386_s_c1.jpg)
[attachment=0:ocz4o6wq]tiger_580_386_s_c1.jpg[/attachment:ocz4o6wq]

I just got back from my first trip to ThailandтАФand, the truth is, thereтАЩs so much to love about the so-called тАЬLand of Smiles.тАЭ Though I could go on for days, IтАЩve narrowed this list down to my top seven favorite things about the country:

1. Gay friendly. Because Thailand is so steeped in tradition and old-world culture, I was surprised to learn that the Thai peopleтАФby and largeтАФare extremely gay-friendly. Most Thai people are Buddhists and Buddha didnтАЩt have much to say about homosexuality. Buddhism is about the pursuit of truthтАФand so being gay is really irrelevant to the religion. Moreover, the virtue of non-judgment is highly regarded. All in all, it makes for a very gay-friendly environment.

2. Delicious food. No surprise here, but Thai food is delicious. The food is also unprocessed, whole and extremely spicy. One waiter explained to me that when Westerners ask for spicy food, itтАЩs the Thai equivalent of mild. In other words, the dishes are prepared differently if a Westerner is ordering it. The flavors are truly extraordinary and, in and of itself, worth the long flight.

3. Friendly people. They donтАЩt call Thailand the Land of Smiles for nothing. Thai people are beautifully friendlyтАФand they donтАЩt seem to hold grudges against Westerners. Moreover, hospitality in Thailand is in a league of its own. Upon arriving to most hotels, youтАЩll find staff eager to wash your hands and give you a cold beverage.

4. Elephants. Where else in the world can you ride elephants? During our stay at The Four Seasons Tented Camp, we embarked on an elephant excursion through the jungleтАФand rode the elephants without so much as a saddle. We even got to help bath the elephants in a nearby river. Being up close and personal which such huge (and yet gentle) creatures was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

5. Affordable. If you have Champagne taste but a beer budget, then Thailand is the destination for you. Many of the classy hotels in downtown Bangkok are less than $200 a night. Meals are a fraction of the price theyтАЩd cost in the Western world and transportation is a steal. Even touristy markets and gift boutiques are well pricedтАФbut you have to barter with the merchants. Though it was priced at 3,000 baht (or about $100), I was able to purchase a bronze bowl for a sixth of the price.

6. English. For better or worse, many Thai peopleтАФespecially those in the shops, restaurants and hotelsтАФspeak English. Though I anticipated a language barrier, the truth is that it was incredibly easy to communicate with almost everyone. It wasnтАЩt scary in the least bit and even the signage is translated to English.

7. Lady boys. In Thailand, transvestites are affectionately referred to as lady boysтАФand I canтАЩt make a list of Thailand favorites without including them. Unlike drag queens, lady boys generally have had some surgeryтАФand itтАЩs almost impossible to distinguish a lady boy from a biological woman. Thailand has a number of famous lady boy performers and a great selection of shows in which these lady boys are featured.

Thailand is an incredible place to visitтАФand this list doesnтАЩt even begin to scratch the surface of what Thailand has to offer. If youтАЩve been to Thailand, share some of your favorites in the comments below!

Davey

Read more about my trip in the Davey Wavey Travel Blog

artic55
April 13th, 2012, 06:48
Your first trip to Thailand!!!!

How long did you stay there, or are you just joking??

pong
April 13th, 2012, 16:24
aaaah! how lovely all those times the fresh newbies and their shattered prejudice. It is an exerpt from some blog, my dear.

lonelywombat
April 13th, 2012, 20:39
Well pong the link at the top of the post stated that. What is wrong with posting a new boys vision of Thailand.

Do they have to be the senile crap that some people post here day in and day out

Your postings seem to have a lot crap. not everybody lives works in LOS. Not everybody has that attitude that seems to come from every post you make.

April 13th, 2012, 20:44
...Not everybody has that attitude that seems to come from every post you make.

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall......

April 13th, 2012, 20:46
im still trying to work out the point of this post !!
its a newbies one eyed guide to thailand .. everything is rosey in his garden for sure ..
lets see if hes still as positive in a few years time ..
all in all a pretty pointless read .. then again it was a wombat post .. so to be expected ..

martin911
April 14th, 2012, 01:15
Look its holiday time - so we have be nice to each other (according to DaBoss )

Lwombat was just showing something that somebody wrote after his initial visit to Thailand -- a newbies perspective --

Im sure we can all relate to some of the 7 things the gent mentioned ????
Even the most cynical of us ????

Most of us writing on SGF keep coming back to TH for something (surely it cant ALL be about cheap ass )

For me personally one of the things (apart from cheap ass :laughing3: ) i like about Th is that there still seems to be a sense of respect / family values etc present in everyday life --
Something that is sorely lacking in our western worlds

joe552
April 14th, 2012, 01:26
cheap ass, martin? you're sounding like latintop now :occasion9:

the ass I've found hasn't been that cheap (but worth every baht)

francois
April 14th, 2012, 07:09

Check out Davey Wavey's sugar coated Travel Blog for more of his thrilling adventures in Thailand and elsewhere.

http://www.gaytravel.com/blog/in/davey- ... ravel-blog (http://www.gaytravel.com/blog/in/davey-wavey-travel-blog)

lonelywombat
April 14th, 2012, 07:15
its a newbies one eyed guide to thailand .. everything is rosey in his garden for sure ..
lets see if hes still as positive in a few years time ..
all in all a pretty pointless read .. then again it was a wombat post .. so to be expected ..

Why should a first time visitor get such a hard and bitter response, simply he has made his first trip, He looks for more in Thailand than just boozing in squalid bars, even if he is first time gay visitor.

Most of your posts are pointless, why should another not make a little more sense than yours. I think it is a big improvement.

martin911
April 14th, 2012, 09:18
Lwombat-- Rem the Boss said no fighting !! --but you hit the nail on the head there haha

Joe -- cheap ass -- no such thing -- even for straights !!

Dboy
April 14th, 2012, 11:59
"Davey Wavey Travel Blog"

LOL. for those of you who don't know, Davey Wavey is/was known for his very funny youtube videos. I've followed him for a few years. He looks really different now; I would not have recognized him in that photo with the tiger.

April 14th, 2012, 15:07
well i have to congratulate you wombat .. this is your first post in ages that hasnt been a copy n paste .. or about someone elses experiance ( though it is a bit about someone else ) ... well done you .. who said you didnt have your own mind ..

netrix
April 15th, 2012, 20:23
well i have to congratulate you wombat .. this is your first post in ages that hasnt been a copy n paste .. or about someone elses experiance ( though it is a bit about someone else ) ... well done you .. who said you didnt have your own mind ..

you're kidding, right? the only thing that WASN'T a direct copy and past was the first line that said: "cut and paste from gaytravel"

:sign5:

April 15th, 2012, 20:32
i was refering to his reply to my reply .. not the start of the thread ... always helps if you dont come in half was thru :)
francios thanks for the link to davey waveys website .. but to be honest anyone who uses wavey after davey ... i have no intrest in reading .. seems a bit of a c..ny wunty...

April 15th, 2012, 21:23
No need to be so nasty wasty :evil4:

Neal
April 16th, 2012, 02:44
i was refering to his reply to my reply .. not the start of the thread ... always helps if you dont come in half was thru :)
francios thanks for the link to davey waveys website .. but to be honest anyone who uses wavey after davey ... i have no intrest in reading .. seems a bit of a c..ny wunty...

Brithai not be nasty, I don't think that is possible for him and a few others! :dontknow:

CoffeeBreak
April 16th, 2012, 10:01
In my opinion the article in gay travel(7 things I love etc) gives a false and misleading impression and does more harm than good as it will lead people especially newbies into a false sense of security.
Any friendliness in Thailand is mainly motivated by seperating the visitor from his money; the English spoken is generally woeful with a few exceptions, and the cost of things here will of course seem attractive if a visitor is used to sky rocket prices from where they came from.

The truth is: Thailand is good for getting plenty of paid for sex, plus the climate is better than most other countries and yes people can live comparitively cheaply here compared to the rip off prices in their own boring countries.
Nothing much else.

Why don't these travel writers tell it how it is?!

Thai Dyed
April 16th, 2012, 11:50
The truth is: Thailand is good for getting plenty of paid for sex, plus the climate is better than most other countries and yes people can live comparitively cheaply here compared to the rip off prices in their own boring countries.
Nothing much else.

Nothing much else??? What??? That's 98% of it right there.

Neal
April 16th, 2012, 11:55
Well I can ad the great foods, the massages by sexy young men or if one is into ladies or ladyboys, inexpensive medical & denta care even if you go to Bumrungrad and ME! :dontknow:

witchhunt
April 16th, 2012, 11:57
[quote="brithai"]well i have to congratulate you wombat .. this is your first post in ages that hasnt been a copy n paste .. or about someone elses experiance ( though it is a bit about someone else ) ... well done you .. who said you didnt have your own mind ..[/quote}

There are people that flog their bodies around the Pattaya grog shops, and who don't make strange pissed postings in the after hours of getting drunk in London

But it might surprise you that few if any of your posts are being read. The not easily or swiftly read let alone understanding, means your remarks are noxious.

The use of cut and paste by LW as a means to generate more traffic, is even being used by the Boss. Before he got ill he was posting about where people go outside Pattaya, what do they see and what highlights. You seem to think this forum is all about your pissed up view of society, with nobody's viewpoints but your own counting.

There are a few that come to rant and rave in the dim and dark bars, who go home seeing nothing else. But your type is in the minority.

There are many living or visiting here who enjoy hearing about Gay things that are not on this forum, or even in the local press. The reason others don't post as often, is your so called popularity in postings. 600 posts in just under 7 months.

It might come as a surprise to you that the forum was here for many years before you. There are hundreds per hour that read the forum and don't post. Why and where did you get the authority to put shit on things you don't like

April 16th, 2012, 13:36
.... Why and where did you get the authority to put shit on things you don't like

The problem with your criticism is that in 11 of your last 15 posts you have done precisely that which you accuse Brithai of.

:occasion9:

witchhunt
April 16th, 2012, 14:01
I have just gone back over the last 250 posts and have found one only thread that brithai opened. Surely if he had the interests of those who not only go to the dregs of the bars only, to find something original for others that visit this forum ,to say?

April 16th, 2012, 15:05
I have just gone back over the last 250 posts and have found one only thread that brithai opened. Surely if he had the interests of those who not only go to the dregs of the bars only, to find something original for others that visit this forum ,to say?

You must have very little in your life that you can immediately wade through 250 of Brithai's posts - but in any event I was pointing to your deficiencies and the utter hypocrisy contained in your earlier criticism.

Now, unlike your good self, I do not have the time or inclination to trawl through 250 of Brithai's or indeed 224 of your posts and categorise them into "threads started" and "threads commented on".
The forum is open for people to start threads personally or to comment on threads started by others - who appointed you Chief Superintendent of Posts?
In any event, to re-quote yourself :

.... Why and where did you get the authority to put shit on things you don't like

Finally, I don't know where you get your information from about people being in bars all the time and only posting while drunk - this is a regular accusation you trot out and it would be wonderful to know how you come by this knowledge. Pray tell.

martin911
April 16th, 2012, 19:15
WOO HOO --good stuff !!

:violent1: :violent1:

a447
April 16th, 2012, 19:26
Martin, they are giving us a run for our money!

April 16th, 2012, 19:28
cheers scotty ... what a strange one witchcunt is !!! still he made me laugh .. maybe hes after a few brownie points from daboss ... who said i never am nice ... :crybaby: how bad is the big bad man ?
anyhow moving on ......

Neal
April 16th, 2012, 20:13
Since I was mentioned a few posts back and again now I think I may want to comment.
There are a few of you, Britai included that seem to have another personality because when we talked on and on at the bar for hours two nights was not the personality I knew him to be while posting.

Secondly the comment that I need explaining to me first was how Daboss had changed since taking over with regard to places I have been to and things I do. I have been to Hua Hin, Koh Samui and I think one other place other than Bangkok and other than the 500 -1000 baht episode and the Beachie epsisode which are not about places I visited, do not much remember posting anything about anywhere. Oh yes, I wrote a lot about 2 people residing in Pattaya and sent several emails regarding them. I just don't know how I got into this discussion? Help me here. And what you 3 people need to stop doing and I am not referring to Witchunt is to stop trying to be the 3 people jumping in on everything and causing a stink. :tongue3:

witchhunt
April 16th, 2012, 20:29

The problem with your criticism is that in 11 of your last 15 posts you have done precisely that which you accuse Brithai of.

Dear Scottie I just went back over the front page which lists the person opening each post. 5 pages by 50 per page took me less time than it took for you to check my last 15 posts.

I dont think you did that very well either

The rat trap about opening threads that develop, is always unsure. The only post brithai opened called "The free show in Pattaya " Sunday 11 march collected 248 views

April 16th, 2012, 20:34
246 of them was me .. i guess 1 was you ... who the hell was the other 1 ??? .... i got a fan .. yayyyyy :party

April 16th, 2012, 20:41
....The rat trap about opening threads that develop, is always unsure...

:dontknow: :dontknow:

lonelywombat
April 17th, 2012, 17:57
Since I was mentioned a few posts back and again now I think I may want to comment.
There are a few of you, Britai included that seem to have another personality because when we talked on and on at the bar for hours two nights was not the personality I knew him to be while posting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And what you 3 people need to stop doing and I am not referring to Witchunt is to stop trying to be the 3 people jumping in on everything and causing a stink. :tongue3:

Do I suspect that I am one of the three? I have virtually given up posting on this forum because of them.

Neal
April 17th, 2012, 18:10
Lonely, everytime I mention something you jump in and accuse me of thinking of you. While I know that you like to be very popular, everything need not be about you!

April 17th, 2012, 18:26
Not exactly a "no" then.

:laughing3:

Neal
April 17th, 2012, 19:34
OK Scottish, NO I am not thinking of Lonely when I mentioned that. There are 3 or 4 or maybe even 5 who are each others throats screaming at each other every time one of the people in the group makes any type of comment. I would not swear to it but I though we were a bit more grown up than that. I am sure that some of that group are customers of the bar and now do not. Whatever.

April 17th, 2012, 23:58
bloody childish if you ask me .... glad im not that dumb !!!!!!!! :hello2:

Neal
April 18th, 2012, 12:07
I am getting all these PMs asking if they are one of the three. If I wanted to say who the group is, I would have said the names! Just ask yourself if you think maybe you are one that is found in the middle of most arguments on the forum and sticking with a small group of people who seem to make nasty comments whenever something comes up. If you think you may be, then maybe you may want to change that in yourself. Thank you