PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Bali wanted

goteed1
April 6th, 2012, 09:07
Last year this forum was really helpful in a trip to Siem Reap, so I thought I would come back for your input for a trip to Bali. Will be visiting over Christmas and can't decide on which gay guesthouse to stay at: Villa Angelo, Phil's Place or Villa Layang Bulan. Budgets are not an issue, I'm looking for a comfortable room and a social atmosphere. Anyone been to any of these places? Also any must sees?

Thanks

max

RonanTheBarbarian
April 11th, 2012, 03:20
Damn, are people getting organised to book for Christmas already?

I was thinking of going to Bali over the New Year, but I wont be ready to book it for a few months.

Hope all the good places aren't booked out.

I too would be very interested in any reports from people who have been, any recommendations for accommodation in any out of the way places...

joe552
April 11th, 2012, 04:02
As a matter of interest, what are the attractions of Bali over Thailand? Given the logistics of getting there from Ireland, would it be a reasonable alternative? I would have limited time (i.e. 2/3weeks) and not a huge budget.

goteed1
April 11th, 2012, 07:26
Damn, are people getting organised to book for Christmas already?

I was thinking of going to Bali over the New Year, but I wont be ready to book it for a few months.

I know it's early! I am using miles to book the flight and to get a good seat in FC on supersaver, you have to book early, so after I made my flight reservations, I started looking at the gay hotels and there are only a few and they are small places, so I thought I would book early as well. Also, they have minimum stay requirements for the holidays and I didn't want to stay that long so I wanted to see if they would waive that for me.

Will be spending Xmas in Bali for a few relaxing days and am thinking of Pattaya for New Years. Never been there before so I'll be asking for help on that later on as well. Went to BKK last year for the first time and really didn't care for it, so I'm looking for a more casual pace for this holiday.

Thanks

pong
April 12th, 2012, 17:38
As a matter of interest, what are the attractions of Bali over Thailand? Given the logistics of getting there from Ireland, would it be a reasonable alternative? I would have limited time (i.e. 2/3weeks) and not a huge budget.
NOT for Xmas, would be my advice (have been there at least 6 times-but not once in that ''gay'' area of Kuta/Seminyak. Its a mean rainy season, spoilt even more by hordes of fartooyoung OZzie sheila's etc-think vomit drinking etc.on their ''krissie hollid├йyes''
The main pro for me (and I really like INdo-but more places not Bali-speak the lingo pretty well) for Indonesia in general are: more friendly without the direct hint for money, (as is so often the hidden motivator in TH), cheaper, much more beautiful landscape ( I do not give much for sea/beach).
BUT there are many negatives too: far more primitive/3d world atmosfere, bad infrastructure, out of Bali/Jakarta not really ''gay'' places-though many say the whole country is as gay as you can look at- you wll be found before you even manage to open your special guidebook for that.
It is only 2-3 hrs more flying as BKK is: fly to SIN (or also KUL) in lieu of BKK and book an Airasia connector. Or KLM/Garuda from AMS with IE or KL connector ex DUB. Around 25/12 is also main peak-holiday season for them and pricing. You should be able to manage with clever and timely booking for about 100тВм more as return to BKK (eco).
To OP: as I have never stayed in those places I cannot give any info on them. Besides those ''gay'' bisnis there is a large cruising/gay meting ara on the beach-near HardRock hotel, after dusk. Both MB and horny hotelworkers from elsewhere looking to play. Also try any disco- and make a point of seeing a dangdut show.

goji
April 13th, 2012, 04:10
I notice the dry season in Bali coincides with the wet season in Thailand. Maybe this is a place to visit.

What about the moneyboys? Availability? Financial expectations? Do they take good care cof the customer?

April 24th, 2012, 16:15
I have been to Phil's place. It is run by a gay Korean guy. Nice place and comfortable but the location is not so good. I have also stayed at Villa Mango, owned by two gay Austrailian guys. The location is much better, but it is small and more private rather than a social atmosphere. You can walk to the beach and gay bars. It is about ten minute walk to the beach and it is across the street from a gay massage parlor, Banana Spa.

danny99
May 12th, 2012, 16:26
As a matter of interest, what are the attractions of Bali over Thailand? .

The Bali smile!

It is from the inside not just facial like in Thailand.

However most tourists never get our of touristville in the south and rarely meet Bali boys, just boys who are chasing tourists money from Java and Sumatra and other islands further afield. Bali boys begin in Renon/Sanur through Ubud and then all points east, north and west. Stop in any village and you will be surrounded by smiling faces [take a few packs of cigs and you will be a hero, as NO one has any money on the village].