View Full Version : Myths about low dose ("baby aspirin") being controlled drug

Narakmak
April 2nd, 2012, 23:29
Low does aspirin is 100 percent LEGAL to be sold over the counter at any pharmacy in Thailand.
Aspent M has been a very popular brand of the 81 mg. aspirin and it comes with an enteric coating.
It is the brand Fascino carried and many other pharmacies.
Many pharmacists are spreading 100 percent false information that low dose aspirin is a controlled drug in Thailand now, only available from a hospital.
That is a massive falsehood.
The issue is ONLY with the Aspent M brand.
That brand was produced in Ayuthayuh and the factory was FLOODED.
It may take seven months to be in production again so there is a shortage of Aspent M.
So ONLY Aspent M brand in the bottles has a supply problem. It is only a SUPPLY problem. The company had such a shortage that they don't sell to pharmacies anymore and won't probably for many months.
HOWEVER, you can easily get the same or similar med in other forms from many over the counter sources.
In Pattaya, in Central Mall basement, at a pharmacy called P and G (or something like that) they sell the same drug, 81 mg. aspirin with enteric coating in blister packs, at 10 baht for 10.
It is 100 percent legal. There is no supply problem at all for that brand, and it is exactly the same med as Aspent M.
At most Boots, you can buy chewable (uncoated) 81 mg. aspirin at 2 baht per pill.
Also available at some places including Boots the same med with some glycerin added for about 3 baht a pill. I forget the brand name.
Please stop believing rumor mongers saying that low dose aspirin is a controlled drug. This is simply a communication problem stemming from either stupid pharmacists who don't understand the real story, or simply poor English not explaining what they do know.
Any questions?

April 3rd, 2012, 00:13
No

Neal
April 3rd, 2012, 01:45
Thank you for that update.

Narakmak
April 3rd, 2012, 11:45
Any posting members of Gaybutton here? If so, please let them know about the BS false information they are spreading about 81 mg aspirin. Now they are tripping out and worrying that people will be arrested for carrying low dose aspirin. Believe me, I have posted the truth. The control that does exists is simply because of a SUPPLY shortage for ONE brand of the aspirin (Aspent M). Also, Pattaya people do need to travel to Bangkok to buy low dose coated aspirin. Just go to Central Mall, you sillies! You just need to find places that sell alternative BRANDS.

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4517

April 3rd, 2012, 12:39
Rest assured I for one will be calling everybody I know about the Aspirin situation.

April 3rd, 2012, 15:30
Hey !! I thought we weren't allowed to talk about drugs and their dosages on the board !!! Where's the mods' when ya need 'em eh !! lol

April 3rd, 2012, 16:28
...Where's the mods' when ya need 'em...

Stoned?

April 3rd, 2012, 16:35
maybe they're away lying down somewhere in a darkened room with a headache, if so they should really take some Asprin for that.......OR SHOULD THEY, maybe perhaps not, as I seem to recall that Asprin's banned now in bkk !......or is it, maybe not !!?? I can never remember ! lol

travelerjim
April 4th, 2012, 09:35
Thank you for that update.

Same-same here...
Many thanks for the update clarification.

tj

Narakmak
April 4th, 2012, 19:11
Thanks to TJ for straightening out the GB forum on this matter.
Still some whining that it is hard to find in Pattaya.
Aspent M is impossible to find in Pattaya in any pharmacy.
In my post, I mention specifically where you can buy OTHER brands, no supply problems, no legality problems, no medical control issues.
I find it hilarious that people feel for the story that there was a medical control issue when you consider the amazing array of much more potentially dangerous meds than low dose aspirin that you can buy without any scrip, totally legally, all over Thailand.

April 4th, 2012, 21:22
Surely the simple (and cheaper) solution to any possible supply problem with "low dose aspirin" is to buy "normal" aspirin and a bloody pill-cutter?

:dontknow: :dontknow:

Narakmak
April 4th, 2012, 21:37
Surely the simple (and cheaper) solution to any possible supply problem with "low dose aspirin" is to buy "normal" aspirin and a bloody pill-cutter?

Actually, not.
Cutting up a 500 mg pill into 81 mg doses isn't practical at all. Also, most people because they take the low dose aspirin daily prefer their pill to include enteric coating. Aspent-M has the coating but you can't get it. But there is a brand you can get, same dose with the coating. I told you where. Good day.

Narakmak
April 9th, 2012, 13:56
They've mostly absorbed the truth about low dose aspirin over at that other forum. However, the original guy who set the rumors going now is spreading another one. That the supply that is available is much more expensive than Apent-M. Totally false. At Boots, yes. Go to the basement of Central Mall to a pharmacy called P & something, and get blister packs of 10, coated pills, ONE baht each. Cheap enough for you?

lonelywombat
April 9th, 2012, 15:19

I think most aspirin users are aware that aspirin in volume by itself burns the stomach. That is why is is issued with the protective coating

April 9th, 2012, 15:41
Most aspirin users may well think as you indicate above - as this is what is widely reported in the media.

The facts of the matter, however, are not so straightforward:

1. GI (Gastro-Intestinal) bleeding from aspirin is not inevitable, it is a risk.

2. The risk of GI bleeding increases mainly in those on high doses of aspirin AND who consume alcohol (more than 3 drinks per day) in conjunction with the aspirin. Those on low-dose Aspirin and low alcohol intake are less at risk, although the risk is elevated from those who take neither aspirin or alcohol.
Obviously those with gastric ulcers are more at risk.

3. At least one study has shown that Enteric coating of Aspirin is completely ineffective in reducing the incidence of GI bleeding in those taking regular-dose Aspirin

:occasion9:

Narakmak
April 9th, 2012, 15:45
Yes exactly! In fact, there may some benefits to using uncoated. However, like I said, cutting up a 500 mg pill to so many pieces is not practical. I was about to post very similarly, so here goes:

http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/wl/2 ... 1206.html# (http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/wl/2006/wlFeatured1206.html#)

lonelywombat
April 9th, 2012, 17:08
We are lucky to have a knowledgeable person to pass on his well researched info for all our benefit. I will place that ahead of my Doctor for his informative input.

Narakmak
April 9th, 2012, 18:28
We are lucky to have a knowledgeable person to pass on his well researched info for all our benefit. I will place that ahead of my Doctor for his informative input. Sarcasm much? In any case, most of the doctors in Thailand are crap, so a good idea for many.

April 9th, 2012, 18:35
The wombat can be as sarcastic as he likes - although I'm not an expert on Aspirin like his GP (guffaw) - I won't be that far off the mark.

martin911
April 10th, 2012, 07:23
We are lucky to have a knowledgeable person to pass on his well researched info for all our benefit. I will place that ahead of my Doctor for his informative input. Sarcasm much? In any case, most of the doctors in Thailand are crap, so a good idea for many.

Most of the doctors ???? -- now who is talking crap :pukeleft: :pukeleft:

witchhunt
April 10th, 2012, 10:27
You only have to look at the timings of certain posters from the UK, after the pubs shut, to see their postings are full of crap

April 10th, 2012, 15:11
You only have to look at the timings of certain posters from the UK, after the pubs shut, to see their postings are full of crap

If that is aimed at me, I should point out that I frequent pubs in the UK very rarely - maybe once every couple of months at most.

My posts are made at any time of the day - as I sometimes post from home, sometimes from work, and sometimes on the move.

If you want to disagree with what I posted, feel free - I look forward to your incisive contribution to the debate.

witchhunt
April 10th, 2012, 17:56
My posts are made at any time of the day - as I sometimes post from home, sometimes from work, and sometimes on the move.

If you want to disagree with what I posted, feel free - I look forward to your incisive contribution to the debate.

If you want to be argumentative be so, but your know it all altitude as endorsed by DaBoss, seems to ruin most posts,

You might be DaBoss favorite possum, but you give the shits to many who read these posts.

April 10th, 2012, 18:18
... your know it all altitude as endorsed by DaBoss, seems to ruin most posts...You might be DaBoss favorite possum, but you give the shits to many who read these posts.

This is sounding very familiar - especially the bitterness - and I note that you are now following me round 3 topics instead of 2 as I thought.
(I didn't know I had altitude btw - you mean I have my head in the clouds?)
Anyway, what was your contribution to the topic again?

:dontknow:

francois
April 10th, 2012, 20:25
All this vitriol over an 81 mg aspirin! May I suggest that some of our posters try an aspirin suppository to relieve the irritation in their anus. I read they are very effective.

April 10th, 2012, 20:43
The problem is, Francois, they will argue over whether the suppository ought to be coated in KY for easier insertion.

lonelywombat
April 11th, 2012, 06:32
SG: 9 posts on this subject and not one serious response from you at all. No wonder people think twice about posting when you are in your supposedly "funny" mood.

kittyboy
April 11th, 2012, 09:13
Narakmak - This is not directed at you - I am responding to your post in general.

Is anyone that thick or addled that they would believe that ASPRIN would be make into a controlled substance?

Anyone believing such an obviously stupid post needs medication or remedial education.