PDA

View Full Version : Pratamnak Mountain

arsenal
April 2nd, 2012, 13:44
I love the bars and nightlife of Pattaya but every now and then I like to get away from it. My preferred destination has always been the mountain at the top of Pratamnak. Sometimes it's busy and sometimes it's quiet but there's always someone there. The view is breathtaking. It is the place that Thai boys like to take their girlfriends. I usually stay there for about an hour, just to recharge my batteries and then it's back to the carousing.
The last time I went there it was different.
There was a group of people drinking neat spirit from the bottle. I had never seen any alcohol there before.
Were they threatening, abusive, causing trouble? no, not at all. But they were loud, everything was hysterically funny and they did spoil the place. It did feel as if somewhere really special had been taken away from me. I hope I can get it back next visit but I suspect it has gone forever.

martin911
April 3rd, 2012, 05:48
Yes it is a lovely place to go to get away from the mayhem of Pattaya and all else that goes with it --

Looking down at walking street you would never guess what goes on down there -- it all looks so peaceful

Thats not normal behaviour for the Thais (or others ) who go there --so hopefully you wont experience such again

arsenal
April 3rd, 2012, 08:44
Martin: No, it certainly wasn't Thais. They would never do that. It's an important place for them that celebrates a sea battle and adniral. During the day the old VW camper van serves fantastic coffee as the black squirrels dart about the trees and butterflies flutterby down the mountain. It's a place for everyone to enjoy and I just hope it stays that way.

joe552
April 3rd, 2012, 15:40
Sounds like a nice place to relax. Is it easy to get to? By walking or baht bus?

gerefan2
April 4th, 2012, 04:39
Is it easy to get to? By walking or baht bus?
Its a 25 minute walk from Sunee Plaza. Best just before sunset when its not too hot for the final climb up the hill.
You can go thru the Gardens on the way, so no need to use the main road at all.
Well worth the effort.
Dunno about the baht bus, but suppose you could hire one as a taxi. You see them up there waiting for people.

joe552
April 4th, 2012, 04:51
sorry gerefan, but I don't know where the Gardens are. so starting from 2nd Road and South Pattaya road, where am I going?

arsenal
April 4th, 2012, 15:52
I always hire a motorbike so from Sunnee it's about five minutes.

Joe. The first time you go take a motorbike taxi. If you must walk then walk back which is downhill all the way. Perfect at any time of day.

Morning: Slightly cooler and very few people there...great coffee from about 9.00am.
Afternoon: Hot with lazy, hazy views towards Naklua and Wong Amat and all their shiny new skyscraper apartment buildings.
Evening: As stated, quite lovely to watch the sun set towards Jomtien.
Night: The lights seem to glitter all the way to Bangkok.

joe552
April 4th, 2012, 15:56
Thanks arsenal - yes, a motorbike seems to make sense. I can work up a thirst on the way back down :alc:

netrix
April 5th, 2012, 21:23
Yea Buddha Hill is a fav spot of mine too. And many people who visit
don't realize there is a really beautiful public beach on the other
side of the hill between south pattaya and jomtien called Cosy Beach.
My office is in that area (i live and work in pattaya now) and i go down
to the cliff overlooking the beach every day for lunch. very quiet and
breathtaking. such a different environment from most of pattaya and
jomtien. lots of cute russian guys everywhere too ;)

if you want to go exploring, ask a motorcy taxi to take you to ...
"Cosy Beach Hotel" and have a look around. lots of restaurants and
bars but much more mellow than most of the popular areas.

joe552
April 5th, 2012, 21:42
Thanks, netrix - might try out Cosy Beach for an afternoon alternative.