Dani69
April 1st, 2012, 17:43
Good offer i arrive in 2 days will certainly be there :party

joe552
April 1st, 2012, 17:47
call me a cheap charlie, but why are boy drinks more expensive? :dontknow:

cdnmatt
April 1st, 2012, 18:03
call me a cheap charlie, but why are boy drinks more expensive?

Because you're taking time away from him being on stage, shaking his bum for all the other customers. :)

joe552
April 1st, 2012, 18:14
but matt, if he's on stage no-one is buying him a drink - at any price. surely it's better to have the boys sitting with customers who will buy them a drink, than be on stage not earning anything, for themselves or for the bar? :dontknow:

cdnmatt
April 1st, 2012, 18:38
surely it's better to have the boys sitting with customers who will buy them a drink, than be on stage not earning anything

Think from the perspective of the bar owner, not the boy. When potential customers open the door, you want them to see a stage full of gorgeous boys dancing on stage. Not 15 boys sitting with customers, and 5 on stage.

Or I have no idea, but I'm guessing that's what the rationale is. Then again, I'd never be dumb enough to invest in a gay go-go bar in Pattaya.

joe552
April 1st, 2012, 18:42
well, I'm no businessman, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Not that it would put me off going into the bar, it's only a few baht, but it just seems odd.

anonone
April 1st, 2012, 19:32
Staff drinks typically result in a small "kickback" to the guy as a way to earn some extra $.
The "extra" 10-30 baht most likely goes into the pocket ( :hah: or skimpy briefs) of the dancer, which is fine by me.

I will be by later this month to help out with the Low Season....

:party

joe552
April 1st, 2012, 20:43
well, if the money goes to the boy I'd be happy to pay it. if it's going to the owner, it seems a (minor) rip-off.

April 1st, 2012, 21:16
well, if the money goes to the boy I'd be happy to pay it. if it's going to the owner, it seems a (minor) rip-off.

lol I think you're going to get slated for this one Joe :-) Now we all know Neal is a multi billionaire and all but I doubt that he's really that interested in creaming the extra 5 or 10 pence that we're talking about here and I would guess that it was probably more of making a special easily identifiable offer for customers i.e all customer drinks "99" baht without too much thought actually going into the boy drink end of things - as lets face it if he did want to "rip us off" lol he could have just left the boy drinks at their normal price and just made "customers drinks" the 99 baht as some other places do, I think this is a case of damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

I could of course be wrong and all those 5 pences and 10 pences soon mount up no doubt and are in fact part of Neal's cunning plan to take over the entire go go boy world, starting with Happy Place and their "rip off" 10 baht extra prices lol .......but I'm guessing this time it's probably not that and I think I would probably give him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion. lol :-) But hey he could come on and prove me totally wrong! ??? :-)

DCbob
April 1st, 2012, 21:25
[Now we all know Neal is a multi billionaire and all but I doubt that he's really that interested in creaming the extra 5 or 10 pence that we're talking about here.... prove me totally wrong! ??? :-)
Sorry but Neal is the owner of Happy Place, this is Happy Boys Bar.
Similar name, but not the same "Place".

joe552
April 1st, 2012, 21:43
Indeed, it's note Neal's Happy Place, where I believe all drinks (customer and boys) are the same price. As I said earlier, if the boy gets the extra 30bt, that's fine.

April 1st, 2012, 22:03
Sorry, my mistake ! I just glanced at the advert and didn't register the "boys" not "place" end of things - but to be fair to the other owner I'm sure the same basic reasons exist - or perhaps if not it's just that maybe he's not a multi billionaire like Neal lol ( well I assume anyway) and perhaps he does just needs that little bit extra to make things pay. I dont really see how any business owner can be criticised for putting on an discounted drink offer, then clearly stating the terms and additonal costs if any as surely it's then "up to you" or not as to whether you choose to avail of that offer.

I know from running my own business that WHATEVER you do is never enough and if you were to give a free car with every bottle of beer you sold someone would complain that you hadn't included an air freshener in the glove box for them and you were ripping them off. ( I know that's not what people are "quite" saying here and mine was just an example, but you get the jist of my point hopefully)

joe552
April 1st, 2012, 22:22
NIrish Guy, believe me I wasn't complaining about the discounted drink prices. I was merely wondering why boy drinks are more expensive. If, as has been suggested, the extra goes to the boy, then no problem. Even if the extra is going to the bar owner, it wouldn't put me off drinking there and buying boy drinks. It just struck me as odd. No big deal.

anonone
April 1st, 2012, 22:27
Happy Place and Happy Boy always get confused. Just for fun, I might open up a bar and call it Happy Palace. :tongue3:

I am pretty certain EVERY gay bar in Patts has the boy drink scheme. Some bars even deliver the boy a slip of paper or some type of chit along with their drink that the boy collects and turns in for some baht. I assume others account for the tally with the bartender or something. I am sure the more "inside knowledge" members can either confirm or clarify.

That has to be the reason all the boys want a drink. They can't always be that thirsty, right?

joe552
April 1st, 2012, 22:36
How about calling it Happy Boys Place? (I'll let you decide where you want the apostrophe!) :party

Neal
April 1st, 2012, 23:08
You all are very good and basically spot on.
I am not sure that any bar does not give the boy a twenty baht note or a chit that they turn in at the end of the night. So probably that is why the drinks are 20 baht more for boys drinks than customer drinks.

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 5th, 2012, 19:18
call me a cheap charlie, but why are boy drinks more expensive? :dontknow:

I'll bite..your'e a cheap Charlie !!!

I mean that in the nicest possible way. When you arrive in Thailand the vacuum cleaner is appllied to your wallet and from then on, it's up to you how much resistence you apply.

Can you blame them ?

If I was a gorgeous dancing boy..(don't larf..I was once) I too would demand payment to sit with me, even though I am a world renowned wit. :party

joe552
April 5th, 2012, 19:26
good to see that rumours of your demise, Lunchtime, were greatly exaggerated. i've reconciled myself to paying what is demanded - i must have my fun. :occasion9:

April 5th, 2012, 23:12
are you sure you meant to say wit ??

bucknaway
April 6th, 2012, 07:42
It could be that they don't want the guys drinking.
As we all know, if you want less of something, tax it.
If you want more of it, tax it less.

newalaan
April 7th, 2012, 17:42
It could be that they don't want the guys drinking.As we all know, if you want less of something, tax it.If you want more of it, tax it less.
A bar in the business of selling drinks raises prices (tax it more)) for the purpose of putting customers off buying drinks? What is this logic based on? I would say that in Happy Boys the intention would be opposite of your suggestion. They clearly hope you will buy drinks for the boys in order to 'loosen' their inhibitions as there are rooms available (doorless and two floors up) for short time fun at Bt100 a go.

While i didn't partake, a boy I know there told me that is encouraged. You can see the logic for the bar, it gets at least 2 drinks and Bt100 of out 'an encounter' but also keeps the boy 'on site' so they have a busy looking bar and flow of money all through the evening. Boy gets his (one, two, or more) short time tip(s) from customer(s)....everyone is 'Happy'.

it just doesn't make sense to me.....it seems a (minor) rip-off
To keep things in prespective.......the OP said boy drinks Bt100-Bt120....at Bt100 that's a whole ONE baht more than customers drinks, and that includes the boys chit/cut. But even if the 'boy cut' does go to the owner how can reducing the normal drink price for a customer from say bt120 to bt99 while keeping the boy drinks at the same price as before or less be considered a rip-off in any way, form or shape?

Good to see bars reacting to low season and difficult times, for the benfit of both bar and customers. Alot of less profitable trade is better than no trade at all. Also as Happy Boys is slightly more out of the way, incentives help.

joe552
April 7th, 2012, 18:01
newalaan, when I posted first, I didn't know that the boy got something from each 'boy drink'. Once that was pointed out, I said I was fine with that. I wasn't complaining about the actual prices (as you say they are pretty similar) but I couldn't understand the logic of boy drinks being more expensive. I now understand and will be happy to buy them drinks. I agree that it's good to see the bars doing promotions to entice us to part with our money.