PDA

View Full Version : Davey Waveys videos trip description Tent City and elsewhere

lonelywombat
April 1st, 2012, 08:04
On the S E Asian trip I posted a link thinking it was going to be multipile countries.

I have since located the videos as well as his stories over the 10 days in Thailand.

Great stories and worth a visit.

http://www.breaktheillusion.com/

lonelywombat
April 2nd, 2012, 06:49
Thanks to the member who sent me this Facebook post.
the link is Carlos Melia Dishes on the Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle
http://www.gaytravel.com/blog/entry/car ... n-triangle (http://www.gaytravel.com/blog/entry/carlos-melia-dishes-on-the-four-seasons-tented-camp-golden-triangle)
http://thailandgaytravel.wordpress.com/ ... -thailand/ (http://thailandgaytravel.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/four-season-tented-camp-thailand/)

If there was one hotel I visited in 2011 that went above and beyond any expectations, it was the Four Seasons Tented Camp at Golden Triangle. This beautiful hotel is located in the northern region of Thailand, right on the border with Lao and Burma. Imagine the best of Four Seasons signature luxury, style and customer service, combined with the exuberant beauty of the bamboo jungles of Chiang Rai province in the outdoors. All of this is surrounded by a local Elephant camp, Burmese chanting monks in the mornings, and the serene waters of the Mekong River. To sum this experience up: train to become a Mahout, live with the elephants in full luxury, enjoy all-inclusive adventures, spoil yourself at a full service outdoor spa, and dine like a king or queen.

My tent was stunning, comfortable, and had a breathtaking balcony overlooking the Ruak River. Waking up each morning was a ritual of relaxation, mixed with Burmese monks chanting along with the local birds and enjoyment of the most beautiful views of the Golden TriangleтАЩs jungle. This was rightfully followed by a walk out to the outdoor shower and bath in full sync with nature. Accommodations here are part of an all-inclusive package designed for active adults. The package includes round-trip airport transfer, meals, house wines and spirits, elephant trekking, a spa treatment, and more. Tents are named after local hill tribes, and fauna and flora and are uniquely decorated in an individual color scheme with coordinated furnishings. The whole complex was exquisitely conceived and designed by internationally renown Bill Bensley, with whom I had the honor to share my stay.

I arrived to the Camp by speed boats from Golden Triangle after a one hour transfer from Chaing Rai International Aiport. The Four Seasons also provided modern Mercedes-Benz units with charming and knowledgeable drivers. Tented Camp is not a hotel or a resort, it is a full range life experience that will linger in your mind for the rest of your life. One of the main fully included activities is the Mahout Training day with the Elephants of the Camp. Walk with them and on top of them, feed them, bathe them- it is all just unbelievable. Breakfast every morning was a delight, and not only because of the exquisite options served in full class by the staff of the resort. The company of your hosts the elephants was the best part, for they expect you to feed them as many bananas as possible at the time!

Photos Courtesy of the Four Seasons

This was my morning visit to the Elephant Camp itself, where the Mahouts live, coexist and train with the elephants on the daily basis. It is fair and necessary to mention the efforts of Four Seasons Thailand and the local Mahout community that went into creating this camp. The Camp has focused on taking the elephants out of the streets of Thailand, giving then the care and attention they need, and returning them to their natural habitat. Congratulations Four Seasons and all those involved into this project!

Someone once told me тАЬdonтАЩt ever compete with animals or kidsтАЭ, and in the case of the Four Seasons Camp, it is fully outshone by their main hosts, the elephants. But trust me, there is nothing to regret about this. The sole reason why one can enjoy this whole experience in full is the silent and behind-the-scenes flawless operation of the local staff as well as the signature comfort, style and customer service of Four Seasons.

The spa is a symbiotic experience with nature in the most incredible outdoors setting. I must say that I took a ninety minute Mahout Massage, and I only remember the therapist saying welcome and asking me to lay on the massage bed. After that I just passed out and enjoyed the full journey of traditional Thai massage and innovative rituals enhanced by the healing power of mountain botanicals and local warming spices. My tip: take your massage around sunset time to enjoy the best of the afternoon and arriving night atmosphere.

Overall, this was an unforgettable experience for those looking for luxury in every sense of the word. Please let the staff know that Carlos told you that you must try the Cobra Whiskey- but be ready for after effects! I also strongly recommend taking the half day tour of Golden Triangle and the markets using over four types of transportation and briefly crossing to Lao. Also if you are into Polo, keep an eye to their yearly Polo Tournament- on elephants of course!