PDA

View Full Version : Bombs in BKK

paperboy
March 31st, 2012, 18:07
in BKK there seems to be bombs going off, just got some news hidelines here in spain
that at least 9 dead

cdnmatt
March 31st, 2012, 18:22
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/stor ... 53905914/1 (http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-03-31/thailand-bombs-yala/53905914/1)

In the south, due to Muslim extremists.

March 31st, 2012, 19:52
Matt is correct ( hopefully anyway!) - only in the south.

And that just would be the final straw as if they close the bars AND start bombing the place just as I arrive then hell I might as well just stay in Belfast as I'd hardly notice any difference from there to here !!! lol

Rob33
March 31st, 2012, 22:36
I've never understood why this problem has never come to Bangkok or the other tourist hot spots even in the South in some continuous form or other, very decent I suppose :dontknow: of them to keep it all so local and for so long.

The Moslems in the South dont seem to be fundamentalists far as I can work out though apparently there have been one or two foiled weak attempts at terrorism over the many years this has been going on.

a447
March 31st, 2012, 23:09
Rob33 wrote:
The Moslems in the South dont seem to be fundamentalists far as I can work out though apparently there have been one or two foiled weak attempts at terrorism over the many years this has been going on.

Not too sure about that. It seems every time I pickup a copy of the Bangkok Post there is some article about terrorists killing school kids, govt soldiers, policemen, etc. This latest atrocity is being reported here in Oz but the others weren't. First I heard about them was in LOS. Our govt has long warned against travel down south to Yala. I get the feeling they have killed quite a few innocent people over the years.

rincondog
March 31st, 2012, 23:30
Many times when bombs have gone off and don't do much more than minor property damage you will never hear about it outside of that particular area.

joe552
April 1st, 2012, 04:33
The death toll over the years is in the thousands. Probably more than in the Northern Ireland conflict. I don't condone terrorism but I do question Thailand's claim on this area (annexed in 1902)

jimnbkk
April 1st, 2012, 04:58
I just got a IBRS Notification from the US State Department about Explosions in the Silom/Sala Daeng area. It was an email that arrived at 5:35 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (0435 Bangkok time).

Then I read it more carefully. It's dated April 22, 2010!!!

I just got it.

WTF?

joe552
April 1st, 2012, 05:10
Restores your faith in the system, doesn't it? Feel safer tonight?

Neal
April 1st, 2012, 05:54
I just got a IBRS Notification from the US State Department about Explosions in the Silom/Sala Daeng area. It was an email that arrived at 5:35 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (0435 Bangkok time).

Then I read it more carefully. It's dated April 22, 2010!!!

I just got it.

WTF?

Jim I just got the same one dated the same date as yours. Was getting ready to post it and then saw the date so I really don't know WTF to do.

pong
April 1st, 2012, 17:32
1.I turn on daily-or more or less so- on to Thaivisa (now in EUR) and read the Tha news-or can do same with bangkokpost. Then you get all the bombs etc in the deep south
2.also from TV: it seems this was a rather sick 1-4 (april fools day-remember? I do not even know if Thai also do that) joke from someone thinking this was oso funny from USemb (acc. to TV again).