PDA

View Full Version : Political stuation in Thailand

alipatt-old
March 28th, 2012, 12:15
I will be Leaving Chaing Mai and going to live in Bangkok. The political news seems to be getting worse. Am I getting the wrong idea or could the country be heading for crisis again?

March 28th, 2012, 15:32
I've no idea, but if there's going to be a crisis then isn't moving from CM to BKK a bit like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire?

:dontknow:

Dodger
March 28th, 2012, 16:31
The entire Kingdom could be engaged in a full-fledged civil war and those outside of Bangkok would probably have to read a newspaper to even know it was happening.

I was in Pattaya during the last military coup when Thaksin was ousted from office and it was like watching the Rose Bowl Parade on TV.

As always, Theps fingers were busy pushing buttons on the remote control in an effort to find his favorite morning cartoon when he paused for a second when we saw a newsflash showing a bunch of soldiers riding on the tops of tanks which were rolling down the main streets of Bangkok. I asked him if there was a celebration going on - he gave me one of his silly giggles and said..."no ting tong, the army is taking over the government now". A second later he pushed the channel button again...and finally...Bugs Bunny appeared and we continued enjoying our morning.

martin911
March 28th, 2012, 23:56
I wouldnt have thought the political situation was getting any worse !!
Things seem to have settled down since the floods (although it depends on which newspaper you read on the given day )
The Yingluck/ Thaksin government seem to be plodding their way through to a possible return of T himself

There were reports in the papers of him being back for Songkarn lately -although same paper reported he would be back in Thailand for his eldest daughters wedding last Dec ,and that didnt happen either )

There is a "national reconciliation" commitee appointed -- to try to appease all sides i gather

Time will tell !! -- but if you are in the Bkk area -- even if something new kicks off (army coup etc ,which seems unlikely ) - you can just hop on a bus/taxi to the worlds biggest adult playground -Pattaya and you need not worry about nasty things in Bkk --

christianpfc
March 29th, 2012, 01:03
Thanks for sharing, Dodger.

A friend of mine (from Nong Khai, currently working in hotel business) moved from Bangkok to Pattaya for environmental (he thinks the last flood wasn't the last) and political (he thinks there might be further coups) reasons.

luvthai-2
March 29th, 2012, 02:05
Any move to bring ousted Thaksin back will result in another coup. The army will not eat crow for anyone.

martin911
March 29th, 2012, 04:25
Any move to bring ousted Thaksin back will result in another coup. The army will not eat crow for anyone.

Im not sure it would this time --Its practically his government now via Yingluk and they seem appeased

One thing for sure --Is the fact that the man is NOT going to go away !!!!!! ---his actions speak volumnes in that !!
The effort and money involved since 2006 is immense -- for him to have gotton his sister in place of him in the PMs seat - with him effectivtly running the show --in a way he has to be admired for diligence if nothing else --and ALL this from abroad !!

To me it seems that his party was elected by the majority (yes i know they are all types of corruption gone on by all sides )-- but it would be better for the country to look to the future rather than the past w coups etc

As i said time will tell !!

gaymandenmark
March 29th, 2012, 05:05
agree with you martin911, only time will tell,
but I think that if the government wants to bring back Thaksin, the reaction will be different from the so called "reconsilation."
Even if they think that the majoraty is for bringing Thaksin back, the next unrest has just startet.

Jellybean
March 29th, 2012, 17:12
To be honest alipatt IтАЩd be more concerned about a future flood situation in Bangkok than the political situation. About 5 years ago when I was using the gym at the Hilton Hotel in Hua Hin, an American guy, whoтАЩd been coming to Thailand since the late 60s, told me that at no time since then had foreigners been affected by any of the military coups d'├йtat тАУ life just went on as normal. IтАЩm hoping that will continue to be the case.

But with regard to the floods, I hope youтАЩve picked your new home in an area that wasnтАЩt flooded last time.

And, as a matter of interest, I was at our AGM for the residents of my apartment block last night and received the depressing news that our maintenance charges are going to have to be increased. Although our area was unaffected, preventative action was taken last year to ensure that no water entered the basement where our electrics are housed or anywhere else on the ground floor. We were also told that there has been an enormous increase in insurance costs from 815,750 Baht to 1,812,500 Baht to cover future claims. Then there is the increase in the national minimum wage on 1 April 2012 to be taken into account, which will have an effect on some of the 40 staff who are employed here.

In short, I am more concerned about what action the government is taking to prevent a repeat of last yearтАЩs floods and, at a personal level, finding a way to pay for the increased running costs of my apartment building.

alipatt-old
March 29th, 2012, 21:04
I am moving to Bangkok from Chiang Mai as my partners mother is wanting his return to the family home. She is now 87 and a most remarkable lady that I care for very much.
The home was under water to the windows when we came to Thailand 6 months ago. The wooden floor on the ground floor has now been replaced with tiles and further flooding if it happens should be easier to recover from.
Now I just need to find gainfull employment for us both as I have no external income.

kjun12
March 30th, 2012, 08:41
I've no idea :dontknow:
What. You don't know something. This must be the end of the world! :happy7: