PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast

joe552
March 26th, 2012, 04:45
I know many here grab breakfast on their way home from a club, but I'm someone who actually wakes up about 9 or 10 (in the morning, shock horror). Anyway, I'm staying at Mosaik Apartments this trip (in June) and don't really know the area by day. Where's a good place for breakfast? Thinking about Baan Dok Mai is one. Any other suggestions?

gaymandenmark
March 26th, 2012, 05:03
Baan Dok Mai has a great bacon and eggs menu, if that is what you like.
In fact it has some of the best bacon I have ever tastet in Thailand.

Not so good but eatable is Salt and Pepper in that area. I like to have my fried rice and eggs there. Not a big food experience, but nice and relaxed to sit there reading with the newspaper.

joe552
March 26th, 2012, 05:07
thanks, gaymandenmark, I'll definitely give it a try - I do like bacon in the morning. not averse to a sausage either (ooh, matron!)

christianpfc
March 26th, 2012, 05:12
I have a similar problem when I stay in Howard's Guesthouse. I get up some time between 10 and 12, and there are no street food sellers where I can grab something on the way. So far, I either ate later that day or went to Monty's or the street food restaurant that is in "Soi Monty". But all this is not satisfactory, I want something "to go". Whereas at night, there is ample choice in the same area. In Thailand, my eating is somewhat blurred, I eat when I am hungry, there is no distinction between meals that I have in Europe.

March 26th, 2012, 06:56
Located in the same building as the Mosaik Apartments is Grotinos Restaurant. They have several breakfast plates on the menu.

I find Salt&Pepper to be a much better place to grab a lunch or a light dinner when I'm in the area. I have tried the breakfast and the selections are not very varied. The prices at Salt&Pepper are very inexpensive and it is a good place to sit, have a coffee and watch the traffic go by.

Dick
March 26th, 2012, 07:36
If you want a proper English breakfast look no further than directly across the Soi when you exit Mosaic... the restaurant/bar just to the left of the Flamingo entrance. They do lunch/dinner too but in German style. Just ask for the breakfast menu - choices are 1, 2 or 3. Can't remember what its called, (maybe Blue something?) but it has wicker chairs out front. It's not the cheapest in the area but you'll be hard pressed to find better quality for the price locally. Otherwise for a major breakfast experience - and you ought to try it at least once if you haven't already - take a trip to Papa David's in Jomtien... get off the baht bus opposite the Jomtien complex just where the road bears 90 degrees right with the beach in sight. Papa David's is just to your left.

travelerjim
March 26th, 2012, 07:39
Located in the same building as the Mosaik Apartments is Grotinos Restaurant. They have several breakfast plates on the menu.

I agree...I like Grottinos...opens early at 7:00am...maybe even earlier...check before you go.

Located in the same building as the Mosaik Apartments is Grotinos Restaurant.
They have several breakfast plates on the menu. American bkfast is 140 Thai baht...
love the euro dark bread toast ...Daily Bangkok Post as well as some Euro newspapers to read.

From Howards Hotel...

Suggest you try Two Guys Guesthouse...serves from 8:00am...
breakfast served ALL DAY :-)
good breakfast reasonable prices...

I like their french toast, oj, coffee, sliced banana...less than 100 Thai baht.

Omellete is great with oj, toast, coffee and fried potatoes..less than 130 Thai baht.

More choices available...Owner John is a great host...as are the Wait Staff :-)
and usually a Bangkok Post to read and BBC News on TV if you like.

tj

martin911
March 26th, 2012, 08:11
Tara Court @ Pratamnak soi 5 does the best Breakfast until 3 pm every day

also has that days Indo and Times (which usually means lots of depressing reading )

But the Breakfast is the best INHMO

alipatt-old
March 26th, 2012, 09:56
I have a similar problem when I stay in Howard's Guesthouse.
I used to wake up at around 6 am . I would wait till 10 or 11 when Pai would wake and he would
Take me for a nice breakfast. If he is still there
He knows some great eating places

cdnmatt
March 26th, 2012, 13:05
Why doesn't anyone ever mention Gossip Cafe in these threads? Just down the street from Mosaik, kitty-corner to the place with all the pool tables. Back in the day, I was there probably 3 or 4 times a week. Open 24x7, excellent breakfast, and all around good food, plus comfortable atmosphere where you can relax. Highly recommended.

joe552
March 26th, 2012, 16:05
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I think it's important to have a good breakfast before hitting the beer. :alc:

March 26th, 2012, 16:12
If you just want a good, straightforward, no-nonsense brekkie at any time of the day, I would normally just head to Palmers.

If you get fed up there, Baywatch Cafe on Beach Road does a decent one (turn right at the bottom of Pattayaland Sois, and walk 50 yards)

I know these aren't in the immediate area of Mosaik - but the morning stroll will enhance your appetite!

Neal
March 26th, 2012, 16:15
I heard a lot about this place on the main road to Jomtien called the Continental. Haven't eaten there personally though just heard from friends.

joe552
March 26th, 2012, 16:16
I've eaten at Baywatch a few times and really like it. Palmer's had been mentioned previously as a place for dinner, so I'll check that out as well.

Dodger
March 26th, 2012, 16:45
If you want a proper English breakfast look no further than directly across the Soi when you exit Mosaic... the restaurant/bar just to the left of the Flamingo entrance.

That would be "My Thai Restaurant". Agree, breakfasts are pretty good.

Joe,

Two Guys Guesthouse on soi Yensabai serves a great american sytle breakfast, i.e., eggs, bacon or sausage, hash browns, toast, coffee, orange juice and a copy of the Bangkok Post for about 130 baht. Owner (John) and staff and very friendly and outgoing. Small/cozy place - can sit inside or out, nice eye candy roaming that soi in the morning...my favorite place for breakfast in the Sunee area. They start serving breakfast 8:00 AM.

joe552
March 26th, 2012, 16:49
Thanks Dodger - that's another one on the list. Well, I certainly won't go hungry.

newalaan
March 26th, 2012, 18:04
Why doesn't anyone ever mention Gossip Cafe in these threads?
I know, they really should get a mention as their food is excellent with portions far too big for me, their Thai food is excellent as well. We usually eat Thai when we go there, but have had a couple of the western choices from the extensive menu and they have been very good too. Nice place to sit as well, and as you say 24hrs. It's not for the first time we have gone there after JJ Karaoke instead of Wat Chai.

Palmer's had been mentioned previously as a place for dinner, so I'll check that out as well.
I contributed to that thread as i go there for the 'all day' breakfast occasionally. Perfect for Mosaik as you can pick up a song taew outside Tukcom for 10 baht to Pattayaland soi 2, or if not too hot it's a nice stroll to Pattayaland from Mosaik. I am not a huge eater and one the bfasts there....2 back bacon, tomato,2 eggs, toast, tea/coffee Bt100 is more than enough for me. The main thing with Palmers is that the ingredients are top quality esp the bacon. The prices of breakfast are never an issue for me as i don't eat western style breakfasts many times, so when I do it's a bit of a 'treat' and like to eat good quality stuff, thus the recommendation for Palmers.

March 26th, 2012, 18:21
Why doesn't anyone ever mention Gossip Cafe in these threads? Just down the street from Mosaik, kitty-corner to the place with all the pool tables. Back in the day, I was there probably 3 or 4 times a week. Open 24x7, excellent breakfast, and all around good food, plus comfortable atmosphere where you can relax. Highly recommended.

As of yesterday the Gossip Cafe is gone. It has been completely gutted and looks like a remodel it going to take place. I could not tell if the patio cafe section was going back in or if they would have inside seating now. It is just too soon to tell. I will stop by another time and see if they are still serving inside or if that has stopped also.

andrewcraig
March 30th, 2012, 09:02
newallaan we like it there but have never thought of breakfast. usually we go for dinner and then on to shows.

the roast on sundays is now more preferred to the jomtien one. early openers for cheap drinks at happys great idea

Rob33
March 30th, 2012, 16:36
Oh yes I love a good breakfast, anything from dim sum with chilli to noodles stir fried to beacon and eggs. Breakfast in Tailand is some of the nicest in the world.

Its always a bit irritting in hotels because if you have a long night out you do have to wake before 9 at least to catch the last bit of the buffett. I wake ay nine but itakes me while to wake up enough to want to eat, at leat one coffee (like having a coffee ordered the night before) it seems plain odd that breakfast often ends abruptly at ten or sometimes 11. I think it should be 12 no question.

Lunch only starts at 2 isn't?

newalaan
March 30th, 2012, 17:09
One of the little pluses of the Tarntawan Hotel, breakfast anytime day or night direct to your room, so no need to even get spruced up to go down for breakfast if you're in a lazy mood. When in Thailand my normal eating habits go out the window so it's handy just to be able to eat when you want without a hotel timetable to adhere to.

Rob33
March 30th, 2012, 17:16
I know but Tarntawan well Ok maybe next time.