PDA

View Full Version : 30,000 monks thronged the streets of Chinatown

lonelywombat
March 25th, 2012, 10:38
cut and paste

30 Thousand Buddhist Monks take over Bangkok | Bangkok, Thailand | This morning at 7AM the streets on Chinatown in Bangkok, were literally taken over by a sort of Buddhist Monks Flash Mov, commemorating the Buddha Enlightenment and the 84th. Birthday of King Rama IX.

30 thousand Buddhist monks, gathered from corners of Thailand at 6.30AM in the morning at Chinatown to collect the Alms Giving by the local Thai people.

Full post and videos @ CarlosMeliaBlog.com

His Thai gay blog is well worth a read

http://thailandgaytravel.wordpress.com/

[attachment=0:28bidhij]Monks-02-e1332579983718.jpg[/attachment:28bidhij]

March 25th, 2012, 17:21
He he all I could think of when I opened that Pic was of the poor wee Thai resident of Chinatown getting up of a morning and thinking "I know, I'll go and give the monks some flowers and the wee bit of extra food I have here as alms to get me some credit" and walking around the corner with the two or three things they had in their hand only to be confronted by a sea of Orange robes and thinking to themselves " AHHH SHIT !!!" I'm never gonna have enough for THIS lot !! lol

christianpfc
March 26th, 2012, 01:40
It's a bit late to celebrate the King's birthday.

I wonder how travel and accommodation for 30,000 monks was organized. And did every monk get an alm?

joe552
March 26th, 2012, 02:14
Wasn't Rama IX the previous king? Anyway, must have been some spectacle. But is there any reason it was in Chinatown?

christianpfc
March 26th, 2012, 05:08
Ever heard of wikipedia?

Bhumibol Adulyadej (RTGS: Phumiphon Adunyadet; Thai: р╕ар╕╣р╕бр╕┤р╕Юр╕ер╕ р╕Фр╕╕р╕ер╕вр╣Ар╕Фр╕ , pronounced [p╩░┼л╦Р.m├н.p╩░┼Нn ╩Ф├а.d┼лn.j─Б.d├и╦Рt] ( listen); see full title below; born 5 December 1927) is the current Monarch of Thailand. He is known as Rama IX. Having reigned since 9 June 1946, he is the world's longest-serving current head of state and the longest-reigning monarch in Thai history.[1]

joe552
March 26th, 2012, 05:11
well pardon my ignorance, I'm just a poor sex tourist. I bow to your superior knowledge of all things Thai. jeez