PDA

View Full Version : Google Streetview arrives in Thailand

RonanTheBarbarian
March 23rd, 2012, 04:26
Google maps in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket now has Streetview!

It has not rolled out yet in Pattaya, so we will have to wait a little longer before we get an update for the PattayaPhotoGuide site. However, I believe it is in the works.

Had a quick look. Silom Soi 4 is included, but Soi Twilight is not. (a little surprising, considering that Soi 4 is a cul-de-sac and Twilight is not).

It looks like the drive through in Soi 4 was in the early afternoon, - you can see them getting set up in the Balcony, and some rather startled looking massage boys outside what I reckon is Adam Spa.

March 24th, 2012, 17:43
Out of pure interest / nosiness can anyone suggest from looking at the pics of Soi 4 for example maybe when the images were recorded as I don't recall that building on the right as you go in only being built recently - or maybe they were just getting a refurb? I also hardly recognize the Soi generally but I think that's more to do with the fact that the pics were obviously taken quite early in the afternoon when I may not have just risen from my slumbers after a late night at GOD so would not be perhaps used to seeing the Soi so empty :-)

March 24th, 2012, 17:59
In answer to my own question above and just in case anyone else is interested if they are using bangkok Google street view for directions etc it appears that the images are very old as now that I've "gone down" the soi you can see that there were the two Balcony Bars ( one now closed) and also a bar called "lounge 4" that I don't recall ever seeing open even so I'm guessing that was some while ago now - perhaps someone would like to put an approximate date on that bar being there and by doing so then dating the street view pics ??

RonanTheBarbarian
March 24th, 2012, 18:27
I believe Bangkok was done in the September to November period last year

March 24th, 2012, 18:35
I believe Bangkok was done in the September to November period last year

Yeah I see it "says" that on the images ( Sept 11 actually) but speaking personally I certainly don't remember the place looking like that, likewise with Soi Twilight I don't recognise half those very old looking signs above the entrance.....but again I'm scared to say anything as it may just be that the images where taken at 11am or such like and if that's the case I probably wouldn't recognise that much of anything in Bangkok as I very rarely make it up for that time unless pressed :-)

joe552
March 24th, 2012, 20:14
NIrish guy - I always thought you were up early, out for a run then a few laps of the hotel pool. Must have you mixed up with someone else.

:dontknow:

March 24th, 2012, 21:29
NIrish guy - I always thought you were up early, out for a run then a few laps of the hotel pool.

No more like a few GAMES of pool perhaps with some wee Thai hottie, with the only running involved being be the water in my hotel shower just before we hit the sack so that I could give the poor fella the best night he "never" had lol ....... plus the security staff based at the door of the lift in the Tarntawan are under strict instructions for me to return me to my coffin in my room should I try to go out in direct daylight for fear that my ever so delicate porcelain like skin should burn to a crisp and I turn to dust ! :-) lol

joe552
March 24th, 2012, 22:30
Ah, Dracula - yes, now you mention it, I can see the resemblance :occasion9:

March 24th, 2012, 23:03
Ah, Dracula - yes, now you mention it, I can see the resemblance

Fangs very much Joe :-) And yes being like the above I thought "now where can I go where the other guys will also be blood sucking leeches" - and so immediately thought of Sunee and Boystown of course !! lol

joe552
March 24th, 2012, 23:15
you're not far wrong there. :sign5:

martin911
March 25th, 2012, 00:11
NIrish guy - I always thought you were up early, out for a run then a few laps of the hotel pool. Must have you mixed up with someone else.

No thats Colmx you seem to be describing !! :hah:

joe552
March 25th, 2012, 00:14
ah thanks martin, that's who it must have been. a fit bloke if ever I saw one. :sign5:

joe552
March 25th, 2012, 02:36
pardon my ignorance, but how would you use Streetview? what's it actually for? :dontknow:

RonanTheBarbarian
March 25th, 2012, 03:32
Well, way I have used it in the past is "scope out " a place before I get there- I remember the first time I stayed at the Pinnacle I did not know where on the street it was and neither did the driver. As it is a large hotel I presumed it would be very obvious and did not worry too much where on Soi Ngam Duplee it was before setting out. The end result was that we missed the sign (the entrance is in a little alleyway, bit like the Tarntawan) and went up and down the Soi about three times before we found it.

Checking where things are on Google Streetview before setting out solves that (i know it might be tedious, but at least there is not a taxi-meter ticking while you wander up and down the street "online"). Last year when I was in London I stayed in a B&B in Gower St. I had the address but before i went , when checking a map I realised Gower st is a long street and in the middle of a one way system, so I checked exactly where it was on Google streetview before i went so i could give the taxi drive the nearest cross -street.

Although finding places in London is not much of a problem - sometimes in Thailand it is, particularly in places like Hat Yai and Chiang Rai. Look at the crappy maps on thaimassageboy.com...silly cartoony things, that only give a very rough idea of scale. If I was planning to head out to one of the many places in the likes of outer Lad Phrao that advertise there, I would try and do as much research as I could to check EXACTLY where the place was before I left home.

RonanTheBarbarian
March 25th, 2012, 03:39
Hey, I have just realised that this thread has had five contributers so far and all of them are Irish!

....Is this a record?

(thats a little in-joke reference to the Irish Times letters page that only posters on this thread might get)

joe552
March 25th, 2012, 03:47
thanks Ronan I can see the point of it now and how useful it could be.

well, I didn't realise martin911 was Irish - the fact that he seems to spend a lot of time (and presumably money) going out partying just didn't register as Irish. go figure, as my American friends say. :dontknow:

martin911
March 26th, 2012, 22:57
Indeed -- i am prob different from other Irishmen with the fact that i like to go out a lot !!! (and often seem to lose track of time and Not want to go home ) :bounce: :bounce: :alc:

-- most Irish prefer to stay at home by the fire looking out at another grey drizzly day !! :laughing3:

colmx
March 27th, 2012, 04:08
Hey, I have just realised that this thread has had five contributers so far and all of them are Irish!

....Is this a record?

(thats a little in-joke reference to the Irish Times letters page that only posters on this thread might get)

I will make it 6 Irish posters now...

No thats Colmx you seem to be describing !! :hah:

I am innocent of ever performing any (vertical) exercises in LOS!

joe552
March 27th, 2012, 04:17
colmx, haven't you been seen at those isaan (or mor lam) concerts shaking your booty?

colmx
March 27th, 2012, 05:12
No I never dance at the Morlams... i am too busy cruising the boys in the crowd!