PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Don Plaza

asdsrfr-old
March 19th, 2012, 11:38
Has anyone stayed at the Don Plaza lately? I read somewhere that it was for sale. Just wondering if it is still open. I stayed there on my last trip and I was thinking about booking again in April for a few nights. It's pretty basic but you can't beat the location if you like the Sunee Bars.

I really liked the fact that essentially it has a pool in that you can use the pool right across the soi for free(old Monty's pool). At about 1300b a night I could book a room in the Mosiak Aprtments for about the same price--but no pool.

Dani69
March 19th, 2012, 17:56
Its still open but I would rather stay in Mosaic and walk the 3 or 4 minutes to the same pool .

March 19th, 2012, 19:56
Like the OP, I was thinking of the Don Plaza - I got shown round a few months ago and was reasonably impressed for the price being asked.
But in view of the above comment I took a look at Mosaik website - they seriously need to amend the price lists!

Click on Room Rates and you will get prices for Nov 2012 to March 2013 - very interesting but hardly current.
Click on an Individual room type and you'll get different prices - but for 2009-2010!
Call me old-fashioned but what I want to know is what it would cost NOW - not what it WAS 3 years ago or what it's GOING to be in 8 months time!!

:dontknow: :dontknow:

newalaan
March 20th, 2012, 08:00
Its still open but I would rather stay in Mosaic and walk the 3 or 4 minutes to the same pool .Quite agree Dani69, i don't care about pools myslef, but if I did i would still stay at Mosaik and pay to use a pool elsewhere if that desperate for one. The Don Plaza rooms would have to be massive and beautifully furnished to compete with an equivalently priced room at Mosaik.

asdsrfr-old
March 20th, 2012, 11:51
Is the Mosaik a mostly gay venue? There is a certain comfort in staying in a mostly gay venue--i.e. the Don Plaza or the Tarntawan in Bangkok.

March 20th, 2012, 16:02
The downside in staying in a "gay" establishment is that you sometimes have to put up with seedy and predatory individuals who quite openly sit and stare at (or even proposition) your "partner".

:occasion9:

joe552
March 20th, 2012, 17:56
I've heard you're not doing that as often as you used too, scottish, so that's good. :sign5:

Dani69
March 20th, 2012, 18:04
Is the Mosaik a mostly gay venue? There is a certain comfort in staying in a mostly gay venue--i.e. the Don Plaza or the Tarntawan in Bangkok.

Not completely Gay- but certainly very gay friendly .

March 20th, 2012, 20:13
I've heard you're not doing that as often as you used too, scottish, so that's good. :sign5:

You cheeky swine!

I didn't mean ME!

:sign5:

Neal
March 20th, 2012, 23:23
Shit, I thought you meant you (SG) also!

newalaan
March 21st, 2012, 18:58
Is the Mosaik a mostly gay venue? There is a certain comfort in staying in a mostly gay venue--i.e. the Don Plaza or the Tarntawan in Bangkok

As Dani69 said "it is not 'completely' gay but certainly very gay friendly", i would agree and say it was 'mostly' gay as you asked. I have only very, very rarely over the years seen any females there, and strangely i can't remember the last time i saw a thai girl (or boy for that matter) and farang together. Tends to be lone farangs you meet in the lift/corridors, you never see thai boys on their own either unless, like me, you have a bf with a key of his own. Even at peak times i rarely come across other guests in Mosaik.

On the subject of predatory farangs, if a farang happens to look like an unattractive, bloated version of Janette Krankie with a young attractive (or not) 'partner' on tow, and that farang is prone, like 'certain' posters we see here, to subjecting his audience/victims to a night (or even 30 mins) of dreary, boring unfunny sarcasm and shite, can you blame a kindly farang approaching the poor lad to try and extricate him from that horrible 'fate'. Wouldn't that particular case be classed more as a merciful 'rescue mission' rather than predatory approach?

lo-so
March 27th, 2012, 00:31
Don Plaza still open. Rooms big and interesting bathrooms with a window between the shower section and the bedroom - a bit bizarre! As a hotel its bar serves residents til very late O'clock and the two brothers who basically man reception/bar are great fun. It tends to have a loyal German customer base, some of whom are staying long term there. Although there is a limited menu available nevertheless they are quite agreeable for food from elsewhere to be delivered and is of course just across from the swimming pool and Le Bouchon restaurant. The only potential downside that I noted was that the mattresses were very hard.