View Full Version : FANTASTIC new regional Chinese restaurant in Pattaya!

Narakmak
March 17th, 2012, 00:55
You will love this place.
Yes I suggested Deli-zza before, and sadly now it is closed!
However PAO is open for you to enjoy.
The owners are going to Hong Kong soon starting 19 March and reopening about 1 April.
So you have two nights to try it unless you want to wait a few weeks.
The chefs are from Hong Kong and specialize in totally freshly made noodles and dumplings as well as many other dishes. It is for lovers of real Chinese food, you know who you are.

Prices are moderate. Portions are smallish so order multiple dishes. Believe me, it won't break the bank.

Location: Pattaya Klang (next to Fascino pharmacy), north side of the road between 2nd and 3rd

Hours, 5 or 6 pm to 1 am, daily except Monday

If you want to try right away, you MUST go March 17 or 18, if not wait until early April.

Some examples:

Xiaolongbao, Shanghai dumpings with soup inside, steamed
Beef pan fried dumplings, also with hot soup inside (highly recommended)
Pan fried pork dumplings
"Pot stickers"
Handmade wontons
Hot and sour soup with handmade noodles (hand pulled noodles!!!)
Hand pulled fresh noodles with savory beef topping (tip, ask for it spicy, so delicious!!!) only 70 baht
Pickled cucumber spicy or mild your choice
Shanghai "drunken" chicken wings
Crispy salt and pepper squid
Egg dish w/ oyster
Steamed dim sum rice rolls w/ chicken, scallop, or shrimp
Four kinds of curry with rice, Chinese or Japanese choices
Pork ribs done in assorted Chinese treatments

Please support this restaurant! They really deserve our business. They are taking a risk and doing something authentic, fresh, different for Pattaya, and honest. If we don't support this kind of wonderfulness, we don't deserve places like this here. Believe me, there is no place in town doing food like Pao. It would rate as a great place in Bangkok or San Francisco. We are so lucky to have these Hong Kong chefs here. Don't blow it! Go there now.

Yes, honestly, they need the business. They get a lot of walk by traffic from Russians and most don't understand the food. They don't do Thai food or Thai Chinese food or westernized Chinese food and they don't intend to. So that leaves out all but the more sophisticated Thai people. So that leaves more sophisticated expats and tourists, like many of us!

Everything is freshly made. What more could you ask for?

Like Deli-zza, you will thank me for this tip!

topjohn5
March 17th, 2012, 01:22
Ohhh, I've been looking for a place that does this...THANKS!

March 17th, 2012, 02:23
Yes you did give us Deli-Izza and what a great place it was for going and getting the best of sandwiches!! BUT a quick little update!
If you want you can call them and order packages, mind you not large packages but enough to make a sandwich, vaccum sealed to take home and make your own sandwich or like tonight if you have a few people, you can order a corned beef dinner, meatloaf, pastrami, turkey etc and they will make up a dinner and provide it for you! So no, they are not gone but just changed a little from a restaurant. Last week I ordered a corned beef dinner for about 6 people with cabbage and carrots. it was ready tonight and YUM YUM! Support them so they don't go away!

Now to Chinese! Thank's for the information on the new Chinese restaurant. I am sure it will be a great place to go.

Narakmak
March 17th, 2012, 02:42
Oh, thanks for the correction about Deli-zza.
How does the new business work? I called them a while back for delivery and the number had been disconnected. Do they have a new number/new location? Where do you get a price list for these packages? Do they do packages as small as one sandwich? Do they deliver? Is this some kind of underground business concept? Sure I'd like to support them but how are people supposed to know how to deal with them now?

March 17th, 2012, 02:55
corned beef with cabbage .... make sure you sleep with the windows open tonight ewwww

Narakmak
March 17th, 2012, 03:07
Back to Pao. I'll post again when they reopen in April as a reminder. However, it would be very cool if these very nice people (the chefs) get a bunch of new customers on their last few nights before their HK trip. Of course there also will be a closure over Songkran, specific dates to be announced.

So for right now, you've got this Saturday and Sunday night to give them a first try.

March 17th, 2012, 03:15
The vaccum sealed packages I picked up tonight were enough for a good sandwich and were 150 baht each. They had some falling out with a partner and they just are not doing the restaurant. I am not 100% certain about the delivery but pretty sure that they will deliver or set a pick up. I just do not know.
The number I have for Sean and his father that I use is 087 615 3731 and is the same one as on the brochure. Call them and talk to them and I am sure something can be worked out. As for me, well I just don't care what happened and why and if they are doing it to get rid of the partner or what but Sean and his father made outrageous corned beef and pastrami and I told them if they stopped it would be suicide for me! They promised me that they would continue but had to do it differently. I got mine tonight and I am sure they will take care of anyone else.

Narakmak
March 18th, 2012, 13:29
Just a reminder.
Tonight, Sunday 18 March is your last chance to try out PAO before their closure until the end of the month.
Don't worry, there is a table waiting for you as this gem is still being SLOWLY discovered by the food loving public.
I suggest you focus on the freshly made hand pulled noodles and dumplings as opposed to the curries and main plates for your first visit anyway.
I would like to hear FEEDBACK from some of the posters here, when you do try it.

Neal
March 18th, 2012, 13:39
Not sure if I will make it before tonight. I am still trying to get through all this corned beef and cabbage!

Narakmak
March 18th, 2012, 13:52
The two charming young chef owners from Hong Kong really do travel back there a lot. One benefit is that they bring back special ingredients from there not otherwise obtainable in Thailand. They will also be closed for some days over Songkran. The specific dates will be posted at their restaurant.

kjun12
March 19th, 2012, 12:03
Chinese restaurants in Thailand are, to me, sub par and that rating is giving them a lot of pluses they don't deserve. My experiences with Chinese food in London, New York and San Francisco have been very good. Why is it so poor in Thailand?

Narakmak
March 19th, 2012, 12:58
I totally agree with you that the standard for Chinese food in Thailand is much lower than in NYC, San Francisco, and London.
I can't really say why considering the large numbers of wealthy Thai Chinese people. It is what it is.
Chinese food is especially poor in Pattaya. I have had decent Chinese food in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.
That said, you need to try Pao. It is real Chinese chefs doing excellent Chinese food. A limited menu, yes, but what they do do is great.
For example, their pan fried beef dumplings with hot soup inside, similar food I have personally witnessed San Franciscans queue up two hours for that!
Here you just walk in and most tables are empty.
If we don't support this restaurant, we are fools.

kjun12
March 19th, 2012, 14:56
I should have made it clearer in my first post. I am only referring to Bangkok. I have never tried any Chinese restaurants in Pattaya or anywhere else in Thaialnd.

March 19th, 2012, 15:05
Well I have tried UK style fish and chips and find them quite good but having gone to London for a few days and experienced many of their foods there and here I have to admit I am really concerned about trying "UK Style Chinese Food" as advertised on Pattaya People News. I will definitely give this place a go when they return as nakarakmak or however he calls himself, has turned us on to some very good places.

Narakmak
March 19th, 2012, 15:32
Well, I don't make it to Bangkok much these days, but I have had some excellent Chinese food there. Even though I agree the overall standard is lower than the cities you mentioned, if you do your research, good stuff can be found in Bangkok. Not to mention specific places, but I had some great meals at high end hotel dim sum places, and also some hole in the wall regional Chinese places where the waiters couldn't speak Thai or English. In those places, you are gambling about what you are actually going to be served though and have to be adventurous.

Pao here in Pattaya has a clear English menu and a picture menu and the chefs speak fluent English.

Neal
March 19th, 2012, 17:35
Actually I forgot. You are correct. I had excellent Chinese food at the Shangri-la Bangkok in their Shang Palace.

Narakmak
April 2nd, 2012, 23:20
The Pao chefs are now back from HONG KONG.
Open daily, from 6 pm till very late, closed Mondays, and another Songkran closure starting 12 April.
Go there now! You will thank me.

kjun12
April 3rd, 2012, 07:13
Next time I'm in Pattaya I will try it for sure. Thanks for the advisory. :happy7:

Narakmak
April 7th, 2012, 17:35
Hey there.
I had another fantastic meal at PAO and I didn't see any of you friends of Dorothy there. In fact, the joint was empty.
The best Chinese food in town for ridiculously fair prices and nobody is biting?!?
What's wrong with this town?
Anyway, they are open daily except Mondays from about 6 pm to late at night. Songkran closure starting 13 April for 10 days, then open as usual again.
First time diners, be sure to try the freshly made noodle dishes. As in fresh Chinese pasta, get it? And the noodles are perfectly done al dente. Either covered in a savory meat mixture (ask for it spicy if you like) or in a hot and sour soup.

Location: Pattaya Klang, north side, between 2nd and 3rd, next door to Fascino pharmacy, further east than Soi Buakow

If you go and you do like it, please tell everyone you know. This place deserves to thrive or at least stay open. Hint. Hint.
If you don't like it, shut your trap! (Just kidding.)

No, there is not any Thai food there for your boy toys, and there never will be. These are CHINESE chefs. From CHINA.
They don't know Thai food from your Aunt Gladys and don't expect them to!
There might be some things a Thai who eats only Thai food can tolerate. I think they might like the braised pork ribs in dark vinegar and Chinese herbs. Or maybe not! There is also an egg and oyster dish done Chinese style instead of Thai Chinese style, but Thais know a similar Thai Chinese dish.

Narakmak
April 9th, 2012, 13:57
PAO is normally closed on Mondays, but tonight Monday April 12 they will be open. Probably because they will be closed starting 13 April for the Songkran period and a little beyond.

BTW, some might ask, is PAO a gay or gay friendly restaurant. It is a restaurant and the chefs are friendly. If you show up, it will be a gay restaurant for the evening. Who do I have to blow to persuade you guys to eat at PAO?

Narakmak
April 9th, 2012, 18:24
Announcement: There is a special event at PAO Tuesday 10 April at 6 PM:

The 'Frugal Freddy' dining group will be making an appearance at Pao this Tuesday April 10 @ 6pm. There is the choice of 3 'mains' with a choice of 'starter' included. The mains are: (1)Ramen with Spicy Beef @B130, (2)Beef Curry @B180,(3)Pork Ribs @B180. There is an additional 20% discount on the prices above and beverages are also 20% off this time only.

Personally, I suggest you avoid going during this time. They aren't used to being that busy (the entire staff consists of the two Chinese chefs) and they are focusing only on a limited subset of their menu for this large group.

However, if you want to mix with that group, you might want to go then. All are welcome.

BTW, the beef curry is a Chinese style curry and they bring the spices from Hong Kong. However I don't think the curries are their strongest dishes. Better to start with any of the fresh noodles, dumplings, or pork ribs.

Some might ask, why I do I seem to care so much about exposing PAO for your dining consideration? Because I am passionate about food and when I meet chef restauranteurs like those at Pao who are so dedicated to doing freshly cooked authentic regional food for a more than fair price and I see the world isn't noticing what they are so sincerely offering in enough numbers to make it economically viable, I just want to help all that I can. Of course, the base reason is I want them to stay open so I can keep having their food!

Yes the Frugal Freddy exposure will help and I'm sure most of them will love their food and obviously the price as they're into frugal ...

Narakmak
May 3rd, 2012, 01:11
Just a reminder that PAO is open for business again after their Songkran break.
Evenings only until late. Closed Monday. There is another planned closure starting about May 20 and then back again after that.
Yes I realize that is an odd business practice to be closed 10 days almost every month, but it is what it is, and it is GOOD!
Just plan to go when they are open and hope to the food God this place stays in business, because nobody else in town is doing anything like what they are doing (not to mention the really friendly prices meaning you can order lots of dishes like a tapas bar and enjoy many different tastes).

As a reminder of how good:

PAO: Freshly Made Authentic Chinese Food

Some of our Chef's Special Dishes:

Handmade Thick & Chewy Shanghai Style Noodles (Customer Favorite!)
(in choice of clear broth, hot and sour soup or dry w/ spicy meat sauce)

Twice Cooked Pork Dumplings (boiled and then pan fried)

Xiaolongbao, Famous Shanghai Steamed Dumplings with Soup Inside

Crispy Potato Flour and Egg Pancake with Baby Oysters

Deep Fried "My Kitchen" Pork Ribs with savory sweet and sour sauce (w/ rice)

Slow Braised Zhenjiang Pork Ribs in black vinegar (w/ rice)

Steamed Rice Noodle Roll with shredded Chicken

May 3rd, 2012, 01:29
well at last you have admitted to having an intrest of more than just liking the food in this place .. thank god ...

Some of *our* Chef's Special Dishes

bit of a give away ...

when as before it used to be *there* chefs ... dont understand why you didnt want anyone to know it ??

Narakmak
May 3rd, 2012, 05:19
For one thing, dude, I "didn't want anyone to know it" because what you have charged me with is 100 percent FALSE. Why would I want anyone to know something that isn't true?

Thank you for being so cynical and suspicious. I guess I understand but I find your attitude sickening as anyone who knows my posting history knows I post on good food when I find it and have no business interests at all in any business here.

That's some possible text for their outside menu board that I plan on suggesting to the very talented chef owners there as an act of helpfulness to two very sincere and worthy young entrepreneurs from Hong Kong. I just pasted it in without change. They are indeed very talented chefs (its only one man and one woman running the entire place, no other help) but they aren't the most professional in the marketing area. I don't think what they have written there now really communicates what they offer well and how special it is for Pattaya offering Chinese food like no other local place does. So its written in the voice of a message on an outside menu board. I hope people of good will can accept the explanation. You can believe what you want, but my only interest in Pao is that I find their food wonderful and I'm seriously disgusted that Pattaya isn't proving sophisticated enough to recognize a gem like this when it magically appears.

BTW, do you find that text appealing? If you didn't know about Pao and saw that written on a menu board would it appeal to you and give you an idea of the food that is on offer? Any comments or suggestions on the text other than bitchy paranoid stuff?

Again, my ONLY interest is if they don't stay open, there will no place in town to get food like theirs, and I REALLY love their food. Of course I also wish the chefs success as well, as I guess I'm just a nice guy. So sue me.

paperboy
May 3rd, 2012, 06:30
OMG
Narakmak your going a little bit over board here
there is recomending somewhere and there is plain
desperation free advertising,

do us a favour and give up,
you dont see it do you?????
your doing this place more damage than good,
a simple recomendation would have been enough
then wait for some back up from another board member
to confirm what you say.
thats what i think anyway :love4:

Narakmak
May 3rd, 2012, 10:30
That's a fair opinion and I get your point. It seriously pissed me off to be falsely accused of having a business interest in Pao though so yes I overreacted. So far, apparently nobody has visited from here and/or not interested in commenting. Given that, one questions the interest of people reading this board in restaurant suggestions anyway. Anyway, because Pao has been closed so often, generally about 10 days of every month, I thought it was helpful to post the most current closing dates, just in case if anyone does want to try it they can go when it will be open. Free advertising, you say? Well you can think that but again I have no personal pecuniary interest in said establishment.

In respect to your point, I won't say anything further about the wonderful food and fair prices offered at Pao, which BTW, does not serve Chinese food swimming in oil as the trained chef's don't like it that way. However, if it is OK, I would like to continue to post closing dates when I know them.

It would be nice to hear some feedback from some board people here but I won't hold my breath. :party

BTW, here's some more Chinese restaurant gossip.

The original British Chinese chef from China Garden is now working just down the street at Katai Restaurant. An odd very straight Cheap Charley kind of place with British, Thai, and Indian food. Right now he has three Chinese dishes that he is doing:

1/4 aromatic (deep fried) duck served with pancakes, green onions, cukes, and hoison sauce 149 baht (enough duck for a full meal for one person)
Salt and pepper (fried) squid 69 baht
UK style chicken chow mein, 129 baht, nice al dente egg noodles bought in from Bangkok, same taste as American chow mein, not deep fried noodles as in Hong Kong style

You might actually need to ask for the "Chinese menu" to hear of these three choices and/or some will be written on the menu board outside. The regular printed menu (which is very uninspiring!) does not have them.

There may be more news later on this, perhaps an expanded Chinese menu there, or perhaps a move to a dedicated new UK style Chinese restaurant.

To be clear, I am not recommending or not recommending the Chinese food at Katai. I just thought some people might be interested in hearing the news as I know some gay local people do like China Garden.

paperboy
May 3rd, 2012, 19:04
ok

i will go and report back, when im there

martin911
May 4th, 2012, 09:03
Narakmak --i would not get too bothered in anything Brtit has posted -- He just posts for no other reason it would seem (based on content ) than to try to be the most miserable cunt on the board - hardly (if any? ) new info spews from his typing and the style then seems to be disparage anything that might be original info to the board

The posts on the Chinese restaurant is v helpful and i also plan to make a trip one evening !!

May 4th, 2012, 15:30
Namnamak - I'm trying to keep religiously to the thread in hand and not give an opinion on what I think so will just ask "do they do carry outs or do I have to eat in to get my gravy chip ?"" as us "yobs" sometimes prefer just picking up carry out food from Chinese restaurants so we don't disturb all the serious proper diners such as yourself with our slurping our soup and licking the spilt food off our napkins and things ?? :-)

Narakmak
May 4th, 2012, 18:59
Deliveries? Absolutely not.
Take out? Yes it is possible but it would be stupid as this is fresh food best enjoyed on the spot.

May 4th, 2012, 19:22
Deliveries? Absolutely not.
Take out? Yes it is possible but it would be stupid as this is fresh food best enjoyed on the spot.
OK, now I am confused. I don't like dining alone at restaurants and for the last month have been basically a slut - in. Oh I am sorry I amean a shut in. :snorting:
If I am at home and would like to enjoy their food while I understand it is more fresh to eat it there, it is not like it is a 20 minute motorbike ride to my home, why not deliver if someone wants it? There are/were many fine dining restaurants including Bruno's that do/did offer delivery service for those that want it. That's why Waiter on Wheels (WOW) and Door to Door make their living, and I have the company of my TV, I can slurp my soup and wipe my nose on the ....oh well nevermind Joe won't take me out to dinner with him if I keep on!

joe552
May 4th, 2012, 19:26
Neal, that stroke must have affected your memory too - YOU were taking ME to Cafe des Amis. Looks like that ain't gonna happen now? :crybaby:

May 4th, 2012, 19:31
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
That's it reneg on a promise!! Sniff sniff I will survive!

vnman
May 4th, 2012, 19:33
Not sure what happened here but I can swear that I've written a response in this thread.

I asked if you, Narakmak, have a blog or ever thought about creating one. I think that it would be a great outlet for recommendations like this and a great source of information for visitors and expats a like. I think I made an analogy with a DJ who likes people to hear his favorite tunes. in this case it's about the pleasure of other people enjoying your recommended food.

There was nothing sarcastic in my previous post even if I can't member the exact text.

PS. Just got word from moderation that it was mistakenly deleted. Of course I'm not accepting any apology that doesn't come in the form of a rum and coke. :occasion5:

May 4th, 2012, 19:39
If I don't get a dinner at Cafe des Amis, you don't get a rum and coke. :occasion9:

Narakmak
May 4th, 2012, 19:54
Pao is a different kind of eating place.
It's two Chinese chefs from China. They do 100 percent of everything. They generally are only open 2/3 of every month. That's their schtick and its an interesting schtick. So forget about deliveries. Forget about everything but wonderful authentic Chinese food. When they are open. Which isn't so much. Only open evenings when they are open.

joe552
May 4th, 2012, 20:35
hang on a minute - he gets a rum and coke while I have to buy you an expensive dinner? shurely shome mishtake? :dontknow:

apologies to Narakmak for hijacking his thread.

Neal
May 4th, 2012, 23:04
Be nice and I will treat you to something much more special....dah-ling.

joe552
May 4th, 2012, 23:40
stop it, DaBoss - you're scaring me

May 5th, 2012, 02:12
Now hold on here Joe. Whose mind has been diminished capacity because of a stroke. A few posts ago you said you thought the deal was that I treated you to dinner. Then a couple (maybe only 3 or 4) you say that what's the deal I am buying him a rum and coke and you are supposed to buy me an expensive dinner and ...... Dah-ling, now please put down the valium and the bottle of wine. Didn't anyone tell you that drugs and alcohol don't mix?
We will renew this debate in the morning. :laughing3:

joe552
May 5th, 2012, 02:19
let me make it absolutely clear - I will NOT be buying you dinner at Cafe des Amis. now, can we let it drop? :occasion9:

Neal
May 5th, 2012, 02:30
OK

kittyboy
May 5th, 2012, 02:39
I live in China and am an expert on Cantonese food.
If the chef is from Hong Kong it is probably Cantonese style food and Cantonese style food it is crap.
I am an expert.

Don't bother going.

May 5th, 2012, 03:49
I am an expert on Cantonese food........ Cantonese style food it is crap....... I am an expert.

So, just so I'm getting this right then - so, by your OWN admission your an expert on crap food then is that right ???

Anyway, it doesn't take a genius to work out the level of the restaurant when it's clear they don't even serve "chips with gravy" or "mixed grills" or other popular take away food choices like "curry and chips", where you can ask them to mix it "half and half between chips AND rice as the side dish ( well in good places anyway) etc, but hey if Namarmak likes the place that he's found even though it seems to have perhaps a slightly more limited menu than usual and don't do deliveries and stuff then who are we to question him and I hope he continues to enjoy his trips there when it's open.

joe552
May 5th, 2012, 03:54
NIrish Guy, you're obviously used to gourmet Chinese food, so this place isn't for you. Anyway, how can a restaurant hope to succeed if it's closed half the time and apparently at random? :dontknow:

kittyboy
May 5th, 2012, 04:03
Yes I am an expert on crap food...I eat the stuff everyday here in China not much else but cantonese food here outside old canton.

The signature dishes of cantonese food are stewed animal entrails and fried pig colon. Let me know how they taste at that highly recommended fine dining place.

Narakmak
May 5th, 2012, 05:27
They are not really doing Cantonese food. The only somewhat challenging meats they do are Shanghai chicken wings marinated in rice wine and they used to do chicken feet but I think they stopped that.
Pao is not a fine dining restaurant. They don't even have waiters. Like I said, the chefs do it all.

kittyboy
May 5th, 2012, 11:19
Business is so bad they can not afford to hire waiters?
That is not a strong recommendation.

Narakmak
May 5th, 2012, 14:09
Business is so bad they can not afford to hire waiters?
That is not a strong recommendation.
Taste the food first before you say stupid things like that, OK?
These chefs have a different vision. They clearly aren't Donald Trump types. They want to do dishes that they believe in with passion and find an appreciative audience for their unusual vision. For some people, it's not all about the money. Yes they want to turn a profit but they don't want lines out the door either. In the unlikely event they get too busy for them the manage, not sure what will happen. Their ideal is enough trade for a viable business but nothing overboard.

If I ever gave the impression that this was a "typical" restaurant that you should judge with your tired old bourgeois expectations, I have now corrected that for y'all.

kittyboy
May 5th, 2012, 14:27
Visual? Well I guess that is nice that they are going for a good presentation of the food. I guess nice looking food is well nice to look at but the food has to taste good and fried pig colon is not visually appealing no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig's asshole and the taste Oh MY GOD not good. And I mean they are only open a few days a week and you have to serve yourself as there are no waiters! Oh..Is it a buffet? with a stream tray and all you can eat?

Narakmak
May 5th, 2012, 14:50
The chefs take your order and bring it to your table. It is not a buffet. What this means of course is that if they are busy cooking at the time you walk in your service will be slowed down as they aren't going to walk away from a dish in progress.

In recent months (it is still a newish restaurant really) they have usually been open about 2/3 of each month, open evenings only from about 6 PM even though their sign says 5 PM, and closed Mondays. They have taken to posting their longer closing periods (travel to Hong Kong) on a signboard so regulars can know what to expect. I also plan to post closure news here. Think of this as a charming quirk. I know I do.

Perhaps I have overestimated the food sophistication of the gay audience here. Well, I'm sure at least of few of you are potential appreciators of the Pao experience. I had thought the gay expat market was a natural for this unusual place but perhaps I was wrong. Alas, this isn't San Francisco.

BTW, some dishes in my view are better than others. Personally, I wouldn't suggest the Xianlanbao for first timers. Those are a foodie cult in Shanghai but although I am no expert on them, my impression is that they are a little weak. I would suggest instead of course the handmade noodles with spicy meat sauce (no doubt the best in town and only about 70 baht) and the pork dumplings (steamed then pan fried). The chewiness of the pork dumplings due to the cooking method is mind blowing.

May 5th, 2012, 17:02
The chefs take your order and bring it to your table.

Wow, that concerns me greatly in terms of hygiene !! One minute they are in the kitchen cooking the pig entrails or whatever it is they seem to serve ( which sound disgusting to me the way) and the next they are out in the public area serving customers, I just hope they wash their hands in between these activities as it's very bad kitchen practice to jump between raw and cooked meats and then the public I think :-(

It is not a buffet.

Maybe as you are trying to help them out you could suggest that to them as I know at my local Chinese restaurant the buffet is very popular, I think they have an all you can eat menu for a very low price on a sunday and the place is really busy with people after they come out of the bar next door after watching the football, but I guess as they are a bit drunk they really that idea and it's really cheap too just like your place, so perhaps they could do something like that to drum up more trade ?

What this means of course is that if they are busy cooking at the time you walk in your service will be slowed down as they aren't going to walk away from a dish in progress.

Oh dear :-( See maybe this is why they aren't busy, strange opening hours, no waiter service, no buffet and now it seems there could be quite a delay until you get your food !! ?? That's not good :-( In my local Chinese your food is with you almost immediately once you hear the microwave ding from the kitchens and there's no wait at all, perhaps you could suggest they speed service up to maybe get more customers through the door and if they don't already use them ( but I'm sure they do as all restaurants seems to these days) purchase a microwave themselves?

they have usually been open about 2/3 of each month, open evenings only from about 6 PM even though their sign says 5 PM, and closed Mondays.

Open 2/3 what ? - is that evenings or weeks you're talking about there please ? - wow that's very little but I guess if their food is different than the normal it maybe takes them longer to do ( as you've said) so probably takes more out of them remembering the different recipes that are so different from everyone elses ( have they written them down do you know, maybe that may help then not get as tired when having to remember everything from scratch?). I'm guessing that's why they need the Monday off as well to get over the weekend rush- see, again there's were that buffet idea could help as with that they could feed more people with less effort and not get so tired and I don't know if they have one or not but they could get those big heat lamp things which keeps the food and the chips etc warm for longer and stuff so that they wouldn't have to work as hard or cook it all from fresh each time - maybe that would help them too ??

Perhaps I have overestimated the food sophistication of the gay audience here. Alas, this isn't San Francisco.

Oh I don't think you have Narakmak, I think we're all about the same levels on here FOR SURE, hell I bet we all enjoy eating out and actually I class myself as a quite sophisticated eater, actually sometimes when I cut out the discount two for one and money off vouchers in my local paper I save them up and then go to one of the quite classy pizza restaurants here in town where sometimes you even have to book and everything ( although only on Mondays as that's when the vouchers are only valid) - well when I say book, I mean perhaps more just queue and wait for a table as they are always busy with families and stag and hen parties and things etc.

I always enjoy their food and have stuff like prawn cocktail and sirloin steak and everything ! and even sometimes I have two puddings afterwards ( and different ones at that just to try them all) this is as I consider myself a bit of a food critic on nights like that and enjoy going back and telling my friends how it all tasted ( not that they can afford to go as they're not smart enough to cut the coupons like me but of course I never tell them that's how I afforded it) so I think we all like fancy eating out sometimes - although to be honest your place doesn't sound HALF as fancy as mine I'm afraid :-( .

And as for it not being San Fran - yeah you're SO right there I think, actually was in San Fran once as I was travelling to visit relatives who live in a trailer park just outside one of the suburbs and the restaurant I was in was great! the service was fast, the plates were piled high with food, there were as many chips as you could eat, they gave free coffee refills and the steak just melted in your mouth if you ate it fast enough when it came out of the kitchen while it was still warm - AND it was all served by a waiter I hasten to add ! So yeah I think you're right, you're place sounds nothing like San Fran at all, I see your point there, perhaps you could give your guys some tips there as to how they might bring their place up to scratch quickly to maybe help trade improve ?

Narakmak
May 5th, 2012, 17:40
No dumplings for you!

Again they don't have pig trotters and I find the place clean and hygienic and have never had any stomach issues after eating there. Again, they are not in the slightest bit interested in meeting western standard expectations of Chinese food and they won't add any menu items to cater to yob tastes, nor will there ever be a buffet. Some have asked them to do crispy noodle Hong Kong chow mein and no doubt they could sell that dish, the answer is NO! I love that attitude. Not saying there is anything wrong with that dish but it's not a dish you do with the kind of special handmade noodles they do. To do that dish they would need to buy in noodles and it wouldn't fit the theme of their menu. Not their vision. They make it work with their concept or not. Take it or leave it. If not enough people do take it, it would be a major loss the local Pattaya Chinese food scene.

May 5th, 2012, 17:53
they won't add any menu items to cater to yob tastes

What do you mean "yob tastes?" is that a cooking style ?

May 5th, 2012, 18:04
Again, they are not in the slightest bit interested in meeting western standard expectations of Chinese food --- they won't add any menu items to cater to yob tastes ---- will there ever be a buffet. They have been asked to do crispy noodle Hong Kong chow mein, they could, the answer is NO! ---- They make it work with their concept or not ----- Take it or leave it.

I think I'm beginning to see where they're going wrong........there's lots of our way or no way in there and lots of No's to good suggestions - first rule of business surely is to listen to what your customers want and them give it to them - no ?? Or are they that arrogant perhaps that they believe what they are doing is right and EVERYONE else is wrong - which is maybe why they have an empty restaurant - maybe for all you know they are terrible cooks and you just don't know it ? is that possible ( although from reading your posts you seems to like food so I'd be surprised if thats the case, but have you eaten out much in other places so you can compare ?

If not enough people do take it, it would be a major loss the local Pattaya Chinese food scene

But surely if no one likes it and no one eats there anyway then it would be absolutely NO loss to the local food scene - except to yourself perhaps - which again brings me back to my point above about are you SURE it's good - maybe you've just got besotted with the owners ideology and actually their food isn't that great at all perhaps ??? Is that possible ?

I love that attitude Again - see my above - maybe you love the attitude more than the not very popular food ?? Maybe you should go to a few different chinese restaurants in the area and compare then and see what you think then, you might be pleasantly surprised ??

anonone
May 5th, 2012, 18:06
This whole thread cracks me up :laughing3:

Narakmak, I understand your passion for the type of place you describe. If I had more time in Thailand or was an expat, I am certain I would check it out and probably enjoy it.
During my short visits, I enjoy the Thai food you can find on just about any street and I don't go out of my way for dining experiences. Dining is just not the reason I am in Thailand.

It does remind me of a hilarious advertisement I saw somewhere in Pattaya. Someplace was offering Chinese food prepared just the way it is back in America. WTF? Travel all the way to Thailand to enjoy Chinese food that has been Americanized beyond recognition.

Narakmak
May 5th, 2012, 20:18
There never was such a Chinese restaurant in Pattaya. You mean the ones targeted to UK style Chinese tastes. I get your point and agree tourists are smart to stick with Thai food in Thailand. For expats, it gets boring for almost all of us.

Narakmak
May 5th, 2012, 20:30
You are pretty dense if you think I haven't tried what is available as "Chinese" in Pattaya! Very little that is actually Chinese. Mostly Thai Chinese. Then there are the UK style places. That's it. I'm extremely knowledgeable about Chinese food but not from eating in Pattaya which is a mostly horrible town for Chinese food. Pao is attracting sophisticated people, like foodies, like chefs, like actual Chinese people. There may not be enough such people to have a viable livelihood for these chefs, but they mean to try it out, and I for one applaud them greatly for it. I also agree it would be wrong for their restaurant to do ANY dish with bought in noodles because the core of their business identity is ALL noodles and dumplings being fresh and handmade.

I don't think you get it. Pao isn't about mass market, dumbed down food. It's about attracting a core of regulars who get it.

May 5th, 2012, 22:01
You are pretty dense if you think I haven't tried what is available as "Chinese" in Pattaya!

Now come on, how would I know that, all I asked was do you go out and eat much, I'm happy to read your reviews but for all I know you're the sort of person who goes out once a month, to the same place, has the same food and goes home, it's not dense to seek to clarify that so that I can get a better gauge for the levity with which to take your opinion as so far all you've told us is that you've gone to a few Chinese's in Pattaya, didn't like them for some reason ( even though they were busy) and one prefer this other one, which is empty and seems to have loads of really negative issues attached to it ?

I'm extremely knowledgeable about Chinese food

Again unfortunately there's nothing you've posted yet that backs that statement up other than giving a positive review to a restaurant that by your own admission is dying and no one else seems to like .......have you ever thought perhaps your own pallet and food preferences may just be slightly out of sync with everyone else's as masses or not good old gravy and chips is still one of the most popular Chinese dishes all over the world I'm sure.

Pattaya which is a mostly horrible town for Chinese food.

Yes from reading your comments about your favourite place it certainly sounds like it :-( I hope the the owners get with the programme soon and start serving proper food like the gravy chips I've suggested to you a few times now that people seem to like before it's too late ! :(

Pao is attracting sophisticated people

But as I've already mentioned I for sure am a sophisticated person, who enjoys fine dining in various high street restaurants (on Mondays with the coupons remember) so if as it appears that I'm not liking the sound of your favourite place then perhaps it's not quite as sophisticated as you thought perhaps as I'm an excellent judge of food you know :-((

I don't think you get it. It's about attracting a core of regulars who get it.

It appears you're correct on that one, unfortuantely it also appears that most of Pattaya don't "get it" also which unfortunately for you means that either your eatery may close or will have to vastly increase their prices beyond the 70 baht a meal you had mentioned earlier - although I have to say at those prices if i were you I might question the ingredients perhaps ? - which you see again unfortunately leads me back to my original question about "have you actually eaten out much elsewhere" to allow you to experience high end dining of the likes that I perhaps am more used to? If not I'll happily extend an invitation to you to join me as my guest some evening ( it''ll have to be on a Monday of course if you don't mind) to a restaurant of my choice to enable me to show you just what good food actually tastes like and then we can compare on a like for like basis as I have a fine pallet and would be very happy to share my favourite dishes with you?

Narakmak
May 5th, 2012, 22:51
They have small portions as anyone who has actually read the thread would know. The concept is more Chinese tapas style so every diner can experience a variety of tastes to have a balanced, affordable meal. A typical full meal is in the 300 baht range. 70 baht for a noodle dish, but you can spend 150 baht for their salt and pepper squid dish which also isn't a large portion. Yes you could just get the noodles and some customers do but it would be more like a snack for a typical westerner. No I don't question the quality of the ingredients at all. Everything is very fresh in the true Chinese style. For example the shrimps in the shrimp with scrambled eggs dish at 150 baht, a classic Chinese dish, is meticulously cleaned (unlike at Thai places) and simple as it sounds, it was one of the best egg dishes I have ever had in my entire life. So silky. The chefs feel they have a viable restaurant at that level assuming they continue to attract a core of fans and the usual walk by trade from mostly Chinese and Russian tourists. There are already quite a few regular fans. Yes, they need more core customers. But not too many more as they aren't set up to be a mass market operation. Chips and gravy isn't Chinese food. Give me a break!

I meant sophisticated as in foodie. Not in high society fine dining. Not the same thing.

Its kind of sickening how cynical and negative some people are considering they haven't even tried the place in question.

May 5th, 2012, 23:06
Chips and gravy isn't Chinese food. Give me a break!

Indeed it is ! They sell it in just about every Chinese restaurant I go to so it MUST be as I know for a fact that they have chips in China ( as I've seen Mcdonalds there) and I'm guessing they must also have gravy so that's "obviously" where the dish came from.

I meant sophisticated as in foodie. Not in high society fine dining. Not the same thing.

Yes, so did I, I'm a very sophisticated foodie and enjoy food in lots of different high street restaurants, I even try their specials sometimes just to widen my food experience - except with pasta or anything that has rice or pork in it as I find most people don't like that and neither do I generally, especially if they only do that microwave rice stuff, I dont know about you but I find that disgusting and it would put me off going back to a place for a few weeks :-(

Its kind of sickening how cynical and negative some people are considering they haven't even tried the place in question.

Well I know you don't mean me there as rather than be negative I've made several suggestions as to how they could increase their trade but you seem intent on not even passing on my suggestions to them as if they are somehow unworthy of consideration, whereas with my sophisticated palette they would perhaps be a big hit ! And I note you didn't even accept my invitation to sample some food elsewhere so that you really CAN compare your place against mine as I concede it could be close run thing !! but until then I guess you can't really complain about people not trying other places I guess :-( but hey the invitation still stands as I'm sure you'd have a good night out and enjoy the early bird menu they have in most of the places I eat - oh actually that's actually another great idea for your friends, have they tried an early bird menu out yet ? perhaps something light to catch people on their way home from work like egg fried rice perhaps ?

Narakmak
May 5th, 2012, 23:10
Troll. :bounce:

May 5th, 2012, 23:21
Troll. :bounce:

Oh how lovely, I spend time trying to help your friends by giving several valid suggestions as to how they could improve their trade, you insult me, belittle me and generally come of as pompous and high handed as to anything other than anyone else's opinion and you think I'm trolling you.......how rude........well all I can say is if you are an example of the type of customer that eats in your friends restaurant I'm not sure I should lower my standards to eat there as I can go to many other places to be insulted instead :-( I wish your friends well in their venture but feel after your comments where you so mortally offended me that I really should just take my business elsewhere :-( And that's after me inviting you out for dinner and everything :-( some people eh :-(((

Narakmak
May 5th, 2012, 23:23
Good. Please don't go there. They aren't looking for yobs suggesting they serve chips and gravy, trust me.
Be clear. This isn't a snobbish place in the slightest. But the chefs do care about their food, and if you don't like it, yes, go elsewhere by all means.
People in Pattaya who care about Chinese food, yes Chinese food, nothing else, are already finding Pao. It isn't for everyone, that is clear. Are there enough residents and tourists in town to keep it going? Time will tell. It's not just about staying in business. McDonalds is in business. It's about staying in business and serving the special food they serve, available nowhere else in town.

May 5th, 2012, 23:34
Good. Please don't go there. They aren't looking for yobs suggesting they serve chips and gravy, trust me.
Be clear. This isn't a snobbish place in the slightest. But the chefs do care about their food, and if you don't like it, yes, go elsewhere by all means.

WOW, so you come on to promote your place and now you're telling me they don't want the likes of me ( hell that's the second restaurant that's happened to me at in two months in Thailand now :-( Well I don't know, I gave you good ideas, many many well used and established tips that many other restaurants us and you just don't seem interested and yet your place is empty, I just don't get it :-( Perhaps if they even just implemented one of two things as I take your point that they want to keep it special, so something like the microwave to speed up service ( but only for doing the rice in etc) or maybe hiring that waiter or two (which wouldn't even affect the quality of food and might just even make their cooking that little bit better as they would have more time to cook ) then that might help even but with this total rejection of just about every sound business idea I propose well then I really don't know what else to say that could help more :-(

Maybe if they even just expanded the menu a bit - and not just to my fine dining choices but even just to other Chinese food as maybe they're going off on a wrong tangent altogether with that whole dumpling thing, so maybe more the fried pancake duck end of things as I see from my local chinese that that's very popular ???

Narakmak
May 5th, 2012, 23:39
You don't know Pattaya, do you? Leng Kee, the famous Thai Chinese restaurant that's been here for decades and is famous for their duck is just down the street from Pao!

The dumpling thing, huh? You say you are a foodie and you don't get the Chinese dumpling thing. I don't believe you're a foodie. Did you even get that the name of the place, PAO, is related to dumplings?

You can get U.K. style fried duck on Soi Lengkee. What he does is not a Chinese dish. It is a UK style dish. It won't be on at Pao.

BTW, it isn't my role to say you shouldn't go there. Go ahead and suggest the chips and gravy thing. I guarantee he won't throw anything at you but I also guarantee he won't be serving chips and gravy ... ever.

May 5th, 2012, 23:57
You don't know Pattaya, do you?

Obviously not it appears, I really mean to go there some day but Bkk is such fun I find it so hard to drag myself away.

Leng Kee, the famous Thai Chinese restaurant that's been here for decades and is famous for their duck is just down the street from Pao!

YOU SEE !! That's exactly my point !! They're there, knocking out the whole duck thing and their bunged to the doors it seems, so hopefully you can NOW see that there IS in fact some merit in my many suggestions and not write them off in such a cavalier fashion when they are "obviously" winning ideas.

You say you are a foodie and you don't get the Chinese dumpling thing. I don't believe you're a foodie.

But i've already told you I am, just because I don't like the same foods as you doesn't make my any less of a foodie surely - does it ? I'll have you know I eat food every single day in fact so you can't get more foodie than that !

Did you even get that the name of the place, PAO, is related to dumplings?

I have to admit you've got me there, I had no idea, I feel a little foolish now, thanks for passing that info one though, you learn something new every day eh, you must have some idea what you're talking about I guess if you know detailed and technical stuff like that, I'm more a pile it high eat it quick sort of guy I guess so I bow to your superior knowledge there on that one !

Go ahead and suggest the chips and gravy thing. I guarantee he won't throw anything at you but I also guarantee he won't be serving chips and gravy ... ever.

That's great news, I just might do that if I ever make it to Pattaya I guess, tell me do they open late as as I'd mentioned earlier I usually like my Chinese on the way home from the bar after a few beers, but if the place is as good as you say I'll happily "sit in" and try something from there - and if they don't do the whole chip and gravy thing that's no problem, as you say there's that other place just down from it and I can maybe get some there to take out and then use them there while I sample some of their food.

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 00:50
Leng Kee doesn't do chips and gravy either. I don't think even China Garden does chips and gravy but I wouldn't put it past them. Leng Kee is a Thai Chinese place. There is no crispy fried aromatic duck there either. Just roast duck and duck cooked in Thai curries. Their roast duck is indeed one of the few things on their menu that is more Chinese Chinese than Thai Chinese. Their duck is good. Pao isn't in a position to do roast duck, logistically speaking. I find it bizarre that people think every restaurant needs to do everything. The chicken and rice places all over Thailand that are indeed wonderful. Maybe they should do chips and gravy too ... :violent1:

BTW, I don't completely understand their go away for 10 days every month schtick. I think its funny actually. How can they hire a waiter if the place is closed 10 days every month? Kind of a waste. Not sure whether that will continue into the high season.

They are indeed open late. I think to about midnight. Perhaps not late enough.

May 6th, 2012, 00:54
Leng Kee doesn't do chips and gravy either. I don't think even China Garden does chips and gravy but I wouldn't put it past them. Leng Kee is a Thai Chinese place. There is no crispy fried aromatic duck there either.

Wow, you're obviously right then that all of the Chinese's in Pattaya are useless if they don't do gravy chips either ! :-( Maybe there's an opening in the market then and you're guys could be the first, I'm telling you I think they're missing a trick here !

The chicken and rice places all over Thailand that are indeed wonderful. Maybe they should do chips and gravy too ... :violent1:

EXACTLY ! See, give the people what they want, NOW you're starting to get it ! EVENTUALLY thank goodness !!

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 01:04
Thanks for sharing. You are indeed a troll. I must be insane to respond to you further.

May 6th, 2012, 01:28
My thoughts exactly a LONG time ago ! And do make up your mind, one minute I'm a yob for eating food you considered yobbish amongst many other high handed, pompous, insults you dished out about anyone who "obviously" didn't know anything about food and were obviously lesser mortals than your good self and now I'm a troll simply for not letting you away with it, I guess we'll never know eh.

Meanwhile I do wish your friends all the very best in their venture and if nothing else you've had a great opportunity to tell us all about them, their ethos, their menu and their quality so I'm sure any who wishes will perhaps give them a try - but the advert without the pomposity and judging of others at the start who were "obviously stupid" as they didnt "get it" eyc would I imagine have been much more effective perhaps. However I wish your friends well and if the foods as good as you say I'm sure they will do ok.

Enjoy your dinner, I'm off for a gravy chip before heading off to see my relatives in that trailer park as the food in San fran is SO much better I hear :-)

May 6th, 2012, 01:40
People seem to have an obsession with talking about food these days..cause of all them tv cookery programes..they all think thier food critics......no wonder their are so many fat people in the world today ha ha

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 02:32
Whatever. I AM a food critic, so deal with it.
I don't watch cooking programs but I do watch Kitchen Nightmares!
One thing that they do at Pao which is real unusual is serving dumplings and/or noodles in their authentic hot and sour soup (which I prefer spicier).
For example, their fantastic handmade thick and chewy Shanghai noodles or their stuffed Chinese ravioli with pork or chicken, or a large elegant wonton stuffed with shrimp. I had never heard of that treatment of hot and sour soup anywhere but the chefs tell me it is found in some places in Hong Kong, but again not even common there. In my view, it really works and I consider one of those hot and sour treatments with dumplings or noodles a must order there.
This is real Chinese flavor hot and sour soup, not the fake UK style hot and sour soup they serve at China Garden.

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 02:37
The point is you were posing as if you knew something and it turns out you didn't. So yes I diss you for that. Someone sincere who is interested in learning about new foods gets my full respect!
Also, I know you're a troll, but seriously anyone who insists a good/real Chinese restaurant must sell chips and gravy is a moron. I don't think you actually believe that though, as you're obviously just a troll.

Neal
May 6th, 2012, 02:40
So two questions.....
exactly where is this place and also do you know if anyone serves Bejing or Hong Kong Duck in Pattaya. All this talk about duck made me crave a Hong Kong style duck with pancakes etc and I don't want to have to go all the way to Bangkok to the Shangri-la.

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 03:04
You can get Peking duck here:

http://www.siamhotels.com/siambayshore/ ... 21-en.html (http://www.siamhotels.com/siambayshore/bali-hai-chinese-&-seafood-restaurant-,dining_viewItem_21-en.html)

Thousands of baht I'm sure.

Also at the Sechuan/Northern Chinese place on Soi Welcome Jomtien, order in advance. Also thousands of baht.

Pao is on Pattaya Klang, next door to Fascino pharmacy, north side, between 2nd and 3rd, further east than Leng Kee.

Not sure exactly what you mean by Hong Kong duck? Roast duck? Then Leng Kee.
Also good duck in 3rd road, east side at the Thai Chinese place also serving goose. To go there, turn left on 3rd from Pattaya Klang, head north and look for the first shop selling duck and goose on the right.

May 6th, 2012, 03:14
to Bluechris1 "Whatever. I AM a food critic, so deal with it"

No, not arrogant at all there Narakmak, I can't think WHERE I got that idea about you from, I must have been dreaming, the guy makes ONE comment and you come out with a reply like that - wow!

The point is you were posing as if you knew something and it turns out you didn't

Ha ha are you KIDDING me now :-) I've been ripping the piss out of you ALL afternoon - from my very first post almost ( at least from the second you started doing the whole judgemental calling people "yobs" thing just as they don't eat what YOU consider good food - and no of COURSE I don't think "gravy chips" are proper Chinese food you eejit, that's the whole point, the more and more ridiculous I got in talking about microwaving the rice or having McDonalds and their chips in China or early bird vouchers etc etc you were so wrapped up in your own pomposity you couldn't even see you were being taking for a ride and the more you expressed just how smart you were and how thick anyone else was ( me in this case) although I think you got a few digs in at the lack of Sophistication ( you're favourite word it seems) of the Pattaya residents, or the "tired old bourgeois expectations" ( of someone you don't even know) or your possible over estimation of the sophistication ( there's that word again) of Pattaya's gay audience etc etc I intentionally just got more and more ridiculous as the day went on waiting for YOU at some point to "get it" that I was TOTALLY taking the piss out of you - not trolling - but taking the piss out of you - two very different things as you just continued to fuel the fire yourselve with your own high handed pomposity.

And for the record I make no claims to know anything about food other than I like eating it and you're insistence in carrying on full on debates with someone who's proposing putting gravy chips on menus and installing microwaves in such a place says more about your naivety and lack of any common sense to know when you're being had more than anything else perhaps.

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 03:18
I obviously knew you were taking the piss didn't I? Read my posts again.

I don't think you actually believe that though, as you're obviously just a troll.

In my view, same difference. I knew you didn't believe that crap. You were just trying to rile me up. Translation: TROLL.

May 6th, 2012, 03:22
yes, sure you did :-) Ok, whatever we're both getting so far off the topic (if we were ever on it :-) that we should stop rather than incur the rath of he who must be obeyed, I've said my bit and expressed my opinion and you have replied in kind whilst also getting your friends a lot of free advertising ( I think ) so all in all I guess we're both happy in the end.

joe552
May 6th, 2012, 03:43
ah guys, don't stop now - this has been funnier than most TV I've seen. I think you make a great double act. :occasion9:

May 6th, 2012, 03:47
Ha ha ..sound like a food snob to me..i used to think it was funny when my mam used to say ...there allways feeding their faces

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 04:11
ah guys, don't stop now - this has been funnier than most TV I've seen. I think you make a great double act. :occasion9:
Thanks but I think the show is over.

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 04:12
Ha ha ..sound like a food snob to me..i used to think it was funny when my mam used to say ...there allways feeding their faces
I like food better than sex and I'm not ashamed to say it. Is that OK with you?

joe552
May 6th, 2012, 04:13
it ain't over till the fat lady sings - so I'll wait for NIrish Guy :occasion9:

May 6th, 2012, 04:57
it ain't over till the fat lady sings - so I'll wait for NIrish Guy :occasion9:

#"Oh ma darlin oh ma darlin oh ma darlin valentine, how I missed ya when I kissed ya oh ma darlin valentine"

There you go Joe, what do you think of my singing voice ? That good enough for you :-)

joe552
May 6th, 2012, 05:11
a perfect end to a very entertaining thread - well done! (though I always thought it was Clementine, not Valentine, but you're north of the border so it's bound to be different)

but what about DaBoss's duck? that must be a thread for a different day.

May 6th, 2012, 05:29
a perfect end to a very entertaining thread - well done! (though I always thought it was Clementine, not Valentine, but you're north of the border so it's bound to be different)

You are of course correct, clementine it should indeed be ! Lol

but what about DaBoss's duck? that must be a thread for a different day.

I SO hope you did actually mean dUck there and that wasn't a typo as I'm not sure a thread on anything else involving anything similar to that would be of any use or interest to us all !! ;-)

Neal
May 6th, 2012, 05:32
If you say so!

martin911
May 6th, 2012, 05:50
Its a VERY Quiet month it would seem --

So seeing as we are all talking about ducks --i bought 8 last nite in Wat Chai -- (cant say what i will use them for tho - :laughing3: :laughing3: ) --but its all in a worthy cause !!

Tks to NI for helping out and doing his bit ---good stuff !!

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 14:32
The best Peking Duck I have had in Pattaya is at the Marco Polo restaurant in the Montien Hotel. It's been a couple years, but the price at that time was 1200 baht.
I hadn't realized they had Peking Duck there. A place that I know for excellent, authentic dim sum. The price is surely higher now.

Another fancy well regarded hotel Chinese place is in the Zign Hotel in Naklua. They may have it as well.

Gaybutton, I'm not on your board. Why don't you try out Pao and tell your board about it, whether you like it or not?

Gaybutton
May 6th, 2012, 14:56
The price is surely higher now.
Out of curiosity I called to ask the current price for the Peking Duck. Now it's 1450 baht. They still serve the dim sum 11:00am-2:00pm.

As for the Pao, I did try it. Some people are raving about it. It's different and I liked it, but I didn't think it was anything all that special. That's just my personal opinion.

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 15:06
Thanks for the opinion about Pao. Now I am curious to know what you ate there specifically.

Gaybutton
May 6th, 2012, 16:07
Hot and sour soup, spare ribs, and one or two other items. I really don't remember what else. It's been several weeks. I only remember I wasn't particularly excited about it. What difference does it make what I ate or what I thought? For those who like Chinese food, I would suggest trying it and deciding for yourself.

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 16:15
Because some dishes there are better than others, that's why. I agree, people who like Chinese food should try it. I like their gimmick of putting freshly made dumplings or handmade thick noodles into the hot and sour soup. I think that is really special. I think the best choice is the Chinese ravioli in the hot and sour soup to sample that concept. I order the hot and sour soup spicy and that makes a difference for me. Not sure I would like it as much cooked default, actually I'm sure I wouldn't like it as much. They have a variety of pork ribs dishes done with different cooking styles. I had the slow braised pork ribs in dark vinegar and Chinese herbs twice, and oddly it was quite a bit better one of the times. One dish most people really love is the handmade thick noodles served dry with spicy meat sauce, but again I would suggest ordering it spicy. I would consider that the signature dish there that everyone should order at least once. That goes well with the cucumber dish, also served spicy.

Anyone, thanks for sharing your opinion. I respect it of course.

kittyboy
May 6th, 2012, 16:21
I am an expert. I told everyone..Cantonese cooking is crap. That is the reason people do not like the food. I am an expert.

Obviously the OP is not an expert on Cantonese cooking. In one of my posts I mentioned the signature dishes of Cantonese restaurants are stewed animal entrails and fried pig colon. The OP then referred to them as pig trotters...god how stupid not to know the difference. Clearly not a reliable source.

Gaybutton
May 6th, 2012, 16:52
Because some dishes there are better than others, that's why.
Wouldn't that depend on who's doing the eating? Obviously, not everyone is going to like the same thing. For example, you like your food spicy. I don't, so I won't be ordering spicy.

Also, now that you mentioned it, I remember that I did have the Chinese ravioli. From among the dishes I tried, that one was my favorite.

May 6th, 2012, 17:27
Wouldn't that depend on who's doing the eating?

Ha ha apparently NOT when it comes to "some" people :-)

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 18:03
Yes I totally agree. Some like it spicy, some don't. The great thing about the Chinese ravioli and their noodles in general is they are so toothsome, or the Italians would say al dente.

More generally, yes I personally do think some of their dishes are objectively weaker than others and really most people, food critics and the general public, would not find exciting. Such as the stir fried beef or beef ribs with green peppers. Boring really. So I can imagine a first time person just ordering the wrong things and not realizing that so much of their menu really is very good. Some of the best places to eat on the planet disappoint if you order their weaker dishes.

The egg with scrambled eggs is an interesting example. I seriously think objectively that the dish is cooked in a masterful way (at least the one time I had it) and is OBJECTIVELY a very good dish. However, I think possibly most of the public wouldn't even order it in the first place. 150 baht for scrambled eggs? Are you having a laugh?

I get it that you're one of those people who thinks everyone's opinion on food is equal. I don't happen to think that way. I think obviously its valid for them but not necessarily valuable as food criticism. Some Brits who think Tequila Reef is good Mexican food obviously are simply ignorant about Mexican food. Yes they can like it but it doesn't make it good Mexican food ... objectively.

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 18:04
Ha ha apparently NOT when it comes to "some" people :-)[/quote]Give it a rest, Potato Boy.

May 6th, 2012, 18:14
Give it a rest, Potato Boy

Wow arrogant beyond belief AND racist - you really are out doing yourself today :-) .....and why exactly did you think or assume that I was even talking about you there ?? Did you think that I was obviously thinking of some stuck up, pompous, stick up his ass, food bore who is so dense he can't even see when people are taking the piss out of him and think " Oh I know, I'll reply to that"....oh well you know that they say......if the cap fits :-)

You know the crazy thing is that your food reviews would actually be passable and almost interesting - if you weren't such an obnoxious twat to go with them.

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 18:15
I love Irish dick! So not racist. :party
Yes, I'm a bit arrogant especially relating to shameless trolls such as yourself.

May 6th, 2012, 18:24
no see that's EXACTLY why I replied to your post in the first place - you weren't just arrogant towards "me" when I joking asked "do they do gravy chips" - any one else would have got the joke and laughed at such a ridiculous proposition - you however are that pompous that you started talking down to me and calling me a yob - like who the FUCK are you ha ha :-))) so it's not your arrogance to me but you're previously displayed arrogance towards ANYONE who may have had the audacity to disagree with you or hold a different view from you as they were obviously less "sophisticated" than you and "obviously" didn't "get it" - implying you did and we or they were all thick - you patronising twat - and YOU call yourself a critic - well you know what they say about critics now don't you - those that can do and those that can't critic !

Have a nice day.

vnman
May 6th, 2012, 18:43
Are their fortune cookies a little bit reliable?

Narakmak
May 6th, 2012, 21:51
Are their fortune cookies a little bit reliable?
They have the best fortune cookies in Asia! :occasion9:

BTW, on the spicy issue, I want to revise my previous comments a bit.
There are times when it is objectively wrong to serve a dish bland when it should be spicy.
Hot and sour soup is called HOT in the name. If it isn't a little bit hot, it is wrong. If it is too little hot in relation to the sour, it is wrong. It doesn't have to be super hot, but it really needs to be somewhat hot and not out of balance.
Similar to Thai green curry. Try ordering that sometime and ask for no spice. That is a disgusting dish that way, trust me. Yes, objectively wrong. Again it doesn't have to be killer hot but it needs a significant amount of spice and heat to really be the dish that it is supposed to be.

:hello2:

Did I mention I also like Spotted Dick? :munky2:

May 6th, 2012, 22:31
So, just in case anyone missed that 1) hot soup has the word HOT in it's name. 2) but if it's too hot it's wrong. 3) And if it's too cold well then it's wrong too ( imagine!) and 4) If it's somewhat hot ( but not super hot mind) then it'll be ok I guess - so, just hot seems about right then ? - well my god man why don't they just CALL it that then !! - oh hold on, wait a minute they DO !! Silly me !

God this food criticing larks dead easy once you get to grips with the all the technical words that us mere mortals obviously couldn't possibly understand .......so, let me get this right again......hot soup has Hot in the name that was it wasn't it ? .......right, stop the presses at once, this is something the rest of the world should be told at once !! tune in for more gripping revelations on foods that have words that describe them in their names shortly - no doubt !! :-(

vnman
May 6th, 2012, 22:49
Is the hot and sour soup sweet by any chance?

anonone
May 6th, 2012, 22:53
I once had sweet and sour chicken...and it was hot.
I am so confused....

joe552
May 6th, 2012, 23:11
obviously what the last 2 posters need is a food expert - any out there? :dontknow:

May 6th, 2012, 23:26
obviously what the last 2 posters need is a food expert - any out there? :dontknow:

I severely doubt whether you'll find any of those on here Joe !

Although now that I think of it I seem to remember Kitty boy saying that he was somewhat of an expert on such things, I'm sure he'll have all the necessary answers if we ask him nicely enough !

But oh where to start....there are just THAT many dilemmas - is cold salad actually cold or are we dreaming? Does hot tea go cold and if so was it ever hot tea? Are spicy wings actually spicy.....oh the list is endless and our time on this earth so short :-(

thailuv
May 7th, 2012, 00:07
lol@ Chinese fish and chips. This thread had me rolling. But also hungry time to get me some Japanese pizza :laughing3: :laughing3:

Narakmak
May 7th, 2012, 12:53
Is the hot and sour soup sweet by any chance?No, but if you ask nicely they might let you take a piss in it ... :wav:

vnman
May 7th, 2012, 13:42
I will, when I'm done with you. There's only so much to go around.

Narakmak
July 22nd, 2012, 23:45
Pao -- MY KITCHEN, the best Chinese Chinese food in the province for the price is now OPEN AGAIN and eagerly and enthusiastically waiting to welcome you to their fine but humble eating establishment.

New hours are six nights a week.
Opens at 6 PM
Normally open till about midnight most nights
Now closed SUNDAYS
Now open MONDAYS
Previously they were closed MONDAYS

They do offer food for takeaway but do not offer deliveries.

This isn't your grandmother's Chinese food unless she's a Chinese foodie grandmother.

Narakmak
July 26th, 2012, 04:52
So who has tried Pao already?
What are you waiting for?

Tip of the day: the pan fried crispy beef pies with soup inside at 2 for 60 baht (nothing like in in Thailand)

Narakmak
July 26th, 2012, 17:07
PAO Tip of the day:

Slow braised pork ribs in dark Chinese vinegar and herbs, served with rice, 160 baht.

Scrumptious!

July 26th, 2012, 18:12
I just can't see it working until they get those gravy chips and all the other really popular chinese food that people like so much ohero their menu as previously suggested :-(.

Still it's good to see they've now a take away service in operation, as that's getting close to the usual levels of service one would expect from a resonably average Chinese restauant so that's a start at least I guess, all they need now is a delivery service, gravy chips, perhaps some mixed grills and the like and they're half way there !

Narakmak
July 26th, 2012, 18:27
I just can't see it working until they get those gravy chips and all the other really popular chinese food that people like so much ohero their menu as previously suggested :-(.

Still it's good to see they've now a take away service in operation, as that's getting close to the usual levels of service one would expect from a resonably average Chinese restauant so that's a start at least I guess, all they need now is a delivery service, gravy chips, perhaps some mixed grills and the like and they're half way there !Funny but these chefs will never be offering chips, gravy, or gravy chips. Forget about it.

July 26th, 2012, 18:35
And they call themselves a good Chinese restaurant, shame on them for not having a more extensive menu to suit people who enjoy proper Chinese food :-( oh well, they seem to be adamant they're choice of direction is the right one no matter how much good advice they get about their menu so I'll just wish them all the best - but do let us know if they choose to widen their choice and I'm sure people will flock to it !

Narakmak
July 26th, 2012, 19:05
And they call themselves a good Chinese restaurant, shame on them for not having a more extensive menu to suit people who enjoy proper Chinese food :-( oh well, they seem to be adamant they're choice of direction is the right one no matter how much good advice they get about their menu so I'll just wish them all the best - but do let us know if they choose to widen their choice and I'm sure people will flock to it !They indeed would rather close than sell CRAP like that. So I can tell you in advance -- NEVER.

July 26th, 2012, 19:55
Now I was always taught "never say never" as maybe once they see their smaller non standard Chinese menu isn't covering the bases of what most of their customers perhaps want instead of the apparently limited menu choices youve mentioned they'll have a rethink and realise the other food they're maybe not able to prepare or something ( I can't work out why they wouldn't sell it as its very popular in my local Chinese restaurant ) would in fact be a welcome addition to their list of fare.

They say you should always try new things so perhaps this new popular range of dishes like chicken friend rice with sweet and sour sauce over it or mixed grills with Chinese gravy etc will prove to be their signature dishes in the end and they'll be glad they embraced the new menu choices. So rather than never lets just agree on maybe not just yet perhaps.

Narakmak
July 26th, 2012, 21:03
They are currently offering three sweet and sour dishes.
Chicken.
Fish.
Ribs.
Sweet and sour dishes are actually Chinese food although that doesn't mean the UK version is authentic.

They also offer some Hong Kong style curry dishes.
Chicken
Beef
Mutton
Lamb

They won't be doing gravy and chips.
Trust me on that and stop your silly trolling. You wouldn't go there anyway. You're just having a laugh and it is tiresome.

kittyboy
July 27th, 2012, 00:01
They won't be doing gravy and chips.
Trust me on that and stop your silly trolling. You wouldn't go there anyway. You're just having a laugh and it is tiresome.

Real food critics like Anthony Bourdain extol the virtues of peasant foods as the standard for good food. Here is a very small sampling from menu of my local peasant Cantonese restaurant (I live just outside Guangzhou - Canton is the English name - the home of Cantonese cooking which is Hong Kong cooking).

Pig tripe 25
Pig ears with chili 20
Pig chitterlings 20
Fried shredded pig hearts 20
Fried shredded pig tongues 20
Braised pig knuckles 20
Stir-fried pork livers 20
Quick-fried pork intestines 20
Fried chicken giblets with sour beans 20
Dog meat hot pot 65
Five spices dog meat pot 25

Does the restaurant serve anything like the items listed above? I would not eat there if I can not get real cantonse cooking.

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 00:14
First of all, they aren't a Cantonese restaurant.
Mainly their items are: Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, a little bit Sechuan-ish

Yes I understand Chinese eat everything and are really into textures that Westerners aren't into so much.
Anyway, all they've got that's a bit "challenging" are Shanghai chicken wings marinated in good rice wine (maybe the only place in Pattaya) at 80 baht and they sometimes stock salt and pepper Chicken feet but it's not on the menu anymore but can probably be done by advance order.
The truth is only Chinese customers and me actually ever order even the Shanghai chicken wings ... This is Pattaya.
The core specialty of the place is handmade noodles and dumplings. I wouldn't be surprised if their pan fried beef pies with soup inside aren't the best in Thailand and would compete as top rate in Hong Kong.
Does any other restaurant in Thailand do handmade thick noodles in hot and sour soup? I think not. The chefs tell me this is found at some places in Hong Kong. I had never seen it anywhere before. It's a great concept, a must try.
This is what is so bizarre to me. This place is without a doubt the best Chinese food find in the history of Pattaya yet the people here are so unsophisticated they don't even realize what they have.
As I've said before, it can be argued Pattaya doesn't deserve restaurants this good if the people are too stupid to realize what they've got.
Enjoy your Carls Jr., yahoos!

kittyboy
July 27th, 2012, 00:40
o This place is without a doubt the best Chinese food find in the history of Pattaya yet the people here are so unsophisticated they don't even realize what they have.
As I've said before, it can be argued Pattaya doesn't deserve restaurants this good if the people are too stupid to realize what they've got.
Enjoy your Carls Jr., yahoos!

You say this is regional chinese cooking, the owners and fry cooks are from Hong Kong you are saying the food is not cantonese? are you sure you know what you are talking about? if the owners and fry cooks are from Hong Kong then it is cantonese cooking. They should be able to cook up some of the dishes I listed if they are authentic regional chinese cooking...cantonese style cooking.

We do not have a carl's jr in guangzhou. Do you think we need one? The locals seem to really like their own food. I am not sure a carl's jr would be able to compete with real cantonese cooking.

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 01:03
Those items aren't on their menu. If they were, I doubt they would sell in Pattaya. Enjoy your time in China. Good day.

July 27th, 2012, 02:15
Those items aren't on their menu. If they were, I doubt they would sell in Pattaya. Good day.

For a nation which is prepared to eat deep-fried cockroaches and maggots, it seems a little strange that they would turn their nose up at the Alsatian Hot Pot.

:occasion9:

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 02:52
Their most popular and best dishes:

Pan fried beef pies TOP CHOICE!
Slow braised pork ribs in dark vinegar TOP CHOICE!
Chicken curry Hong Kong style with rice
Thick wonton dumplings served in hot and sour soup or clear broth TOP CHOICE!
Thin wonton w/ shrimp in soup choices
Handmade thick noodles served in hot and sour soup or clear broth TOP CHOICE!
Handmade thick noodles dry with meat, tofu, spices and oil topping TOP CHOICE!
Sechuan spicy cucumber (goes with the starches), do order to pair with starches, you need some veg, yes?
Shanghai chicken wings
Pan fried pork buns with special crispy wings (gourmet touch) TOP CHOICE!
Scrambled egg w/ shrimp and Chinese chives
Rice rolls various toppings

joe552
July 27th, 2012, 03:04
this is getting to the stage of flogging a dead horse (which I'm assured is not on the menu). can we not just drop it? if anyone besides Narakmak has been to this place, it would be interesting to read a review, but really, who gives a shit? :dontknow:

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 04:32
this is getting to the stage of flogging a dead horse (which I'm assured is not on the menu). can we not just drop it? if anyone besides Narakmak has been to this place, it would be interesting to read a review, but really, who gives a shit? :dontknow:Indeed, Wilde one.
I just want to make sure that IF anyone actually ever bothers to go there that they have some good suggestions about the better things to order so that they'll grow to be as enamored by the wonderful cooking at Pao as I am. It's all about sharing the goodness. :kermit:

[attachment=0:325f1bqo]obamaisyourmama.jpg[/attachment:325f1bqo]
PAO "My Kitchen" Your Source of Chinese Food Total Happiness in Central Pattaya

joe552
July 27th, 2012, 04:48
you might want to think about the word 'overkill' - if the place is that good, why are you the only one promoting it? :dontknow:

please feel free NOT to reply

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 04:50
you might want to think about the word 'overkill' - if the place is that good, why are you the only one promoting it? :dontknow:

please feel free NOT to reply
I'm not. There was a GLOWING review in the esteemed Pattaya Trader Magazine.

christianpfc
July 27th, 2012, 04:50
For a nation which is prepared to eat deep-fried cockroaches and maggots, it seems a little strange that they would turn their nose up at the Alsatian Hot Pot.

I have yet to find proof for humans eating cockroaches. Apart from that, there is a saying: Chinese eat everything that has four legs, apart from chairs and tables; and everything that flies, apart from airplanes. Or a version by a Chinese friend from Malaysia: Chinese eat everything that has its back to the sky.

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 04:59

I have yet to find proof for humans eating cockroaches. Apart from that, there is a saying: Chinese eat everything that has four legs, apart from chairs and tables; and everything that flies, apart from airplanes. Or a version by a Chinese friend from Malaysia: Chinese eat everything that has its back to the sky.
People definitely eat roaches. Probably not as a first choice!

kittyboy
July 27th, 2012, 12:45
this is getting to the stage of flogging a dead horse (which I'm assured is not on the menu). can we not just drop it? if anyone besides Narakmak has been to this place, it would be interesting to read a review, but really, who gives a shit? :dontknow:

Funny you mention horse meat. I was on my moto the othe day and drove by a group of people who had just killed a horse and they were starting to butcher it.....aparently horse is a local delicacy in that village.

If our resident food critic, expert, snob, and all around fuckwhit were less of a cunt I might acutally try the place he recommended.

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 14:10
I thought you lived in China? :lam:

kittyboy
July 27th, 2012, 15:29
I thought you lived in China? :lam:

Ah...aren't you the guy who thinks everyone is stupid because they don't "Get you and food"? If you are so fucking smart is it that difficult to figure out I was riding my moto through a chinese village near guangdong where I spotted a group of peasants who had just whacked the fuck out of a horse and were starting to cut the thing up for consumption in the local restaurants? Do you lack imagination? ...as well as being a fuckwhit?

If you were not such a twat, on my next trip to pattaya, I might visit the restaurant you recommended.

I honestly think you do more damage than good by recommending a place then being such a cunt about it.

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 15:47
Thanks for sharing.
You may not like me.
I may not like you.
But if you like Chinese food and you live in Pattaya, you're only hurting yourself by not checking out Pao.

kittyboy
July 27th, 2012, 16:10
Thanks for sharing.
You may not like me.
I may not like you.
But if you like Chinese food and you live in Pattaya, you're only hurting yourself by not checking out Pao.

As I said if you were not such a cunt I suspect people would be more amenable to your suggestion.
I certainly would have been interested in making the trip there but not after you posted insults because people are not as worthy of good food as you are worthy.

Hurting myself? How the fuck would I be hurting myself? You are making so many assumptions about what I think and my values....that is what makes you a cunt....that and you are humorless IMHO.

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 16:13
Dude, it is frustrating for me to see sincere talented chefs struggle when so many crappy tourist trap restaurants thrive. Yes those are my values. I don't expect you to share them. But if this place doesn't make it for lack of custom, yes I will blame it on the lack of sophistication in the Pattaya market. My opinion and my passionate feelings only which I am entitled to. Kitty, you call me obnoxious, but you areperhaps the most insipidly rude poster I have encountered on any forum ... ever.

I'd like to add that yes I do hope all the locals give Pao a chance and suggest you try some of the suggested items because if you only go once and don't order their best items (most are very good, a few are not so great) you might not get a fair impression, in the case of Kitty I actually hope she keeps her promise and never goes because I wouldn't want to chance the unpleasantness of actually having to be in the same room of such a negative bitch.

Neal
July 27th, 2012, 16:16
I think because of all the wind ups and things, Nak doesn't realize that instead of helping a place that he enjoys that he is actually hurting it and turning potential customers away. That's unfortunate and I would hope that some of our board members look past this and give the place a try.

Nak, you are incorrect there guy. If the place doesn't make it, it may well be because you have turned so many people OFF the place. And with this we will give it a rest, yes?

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 16:18
I think because of all the wind ups and things, Nak doesn't realize that instead of helping a place that he enjoys that he is actually hurting it and turning potential customers away. That's unfortunate and I would hope that some of our board members look past this and give the place a try.

Nak, you are incorrect there guy. If the place doesn't make it may well be because you have turned so many people OFF the place. and with this we will give it a rest, yes?
How would people even KNOW about it? If people don't go there because they find me obnoxious they are indeed superficial fools.
Also don't flatter yourself. How many locals actually read your board? 100? And mostly yahoos who wouldn't know authentic Chinese food if you threw it in their face. English breakfasts? Give me a break. The truth is the chefs probably picked the wrong city for their place. They are indeed operating at above the level of the locals here. That's the shame.

Neal
July 27th, 2012, 16:31
You are really pushing your luck today aren't you. :angryfire:

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 16:40
Just close the thread then. People here just don't care and that's OK with me, but don't you dare blame me for the local's lack of sophistication. You'd have to be a total moron not to try out someplace you actually wanted to try just because you don't like the style of someone who is talking about it.

Manforallseasons
July 27th, 2012, 16:55
I thought Da Boss got rid of the nutters. :dontknow:

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 17:07
I thought Da Boss got rid of the nutters. :dontknow:
Yeah it's a shame about Kitty, innit?

SoiVC Slut-old
July 27th, 2012, 18:11
[attachment=0:2d5xfyri]popcorn.gif[/attachment:2d5xfyri]

Narakmak
July 27th, 2012, 18:13
[attachment=0:1ra0pugq]popcorn.gif[/attachment:1ra0pugq]
I've been looking for my long lost cousin, Moishe, thank you so much!

kittyboy
July 28th, 2012, 16:04
Thanks for sharing.
You may not like me.
I may not like you.
I love chinese food. Explain to me how I am hurting myself by not going to the restaurant you recommended?

Your reasoning seems to be that everyone needs to do what you tell them to do....

Narakmak
July 28th, 2012, 16:13
My reasoning is that I don't give a flying puck whether you go to Pao or not. (Actually I hope you do not; they need the business but probably not THAT badly.) Folks (not Kitty) if you like Chinese food, I suggest Pao. There she blows. Nobody needs to go to Pao. I hope people (other than Kitty ... no dumplings for you!) go so that they can appreciate something I believe to be exceptional for Pattaya (some dishes would even rate in San Francisco) as I do want this small business to survive for the sake of the owners (who are very charming hard working people) and for my own self interest as well (as I love the food there). :sign12:

Whether I am a "cunt" or not is not the issue here.

Again, Kitty, I beg of you, I implore you, please do NOT go to Pao!

kittyboy
July 28th, 2012, 16:42
I will not go. glad you understand that people are not required to obey you.

being a cunt is part of the issue

Narakmak
July 28th, 2012, 16:46
I am so relieved. They will miss out on your 70 baht order. How to cope? How to cope? I will tell the chefs and I reckon they will break open a bottle of champagne. They really like champagne. :party :party

Of course, people are not required to obey me. How absurd to suggest that I ever thought that.

BTW: I ORDER YOU NEVER TO ENTER THE DOORS AT PAO! THAT'S A COMMAND! :munky2:

July 28th, 2012, 16:54
So that's kitty banned it seems and I've already made it clear that I won't be going until they start selling "proper" Chinese food such as my universally loved gravy chips, so so far it looks like its a table for one still for you - which judging by the arrogant, elitist attitude you displayed throughout this thread I'm guessing is a fairly regular scenario for you anyway but one which I'm guessing you're quite happy about as I'm guessing yuu think there's no one of a high enough calibre in life to join you anyway, which considering as Kitty quite righty says you come across as a total cunt is not surprising - however I would temper his remarks as some would say that a cunt is in fact a useful thing whereas you sir (at least when it comes to promoting restaurants anyway) most definitely are not, as so far I'm guessing your reviews are nothing but a kiss of death to your beloved limited menu chinese cafe.

Narakmak
July 28th, 2012, 17:11
You're not fooling anyone. You don't live here. Your whole gravy and chips thing is just troll baiting. It is true, I'm not very impressed with the sophistication of the crowd here. If that makes me a cunt, stick it in, I might enjoy it.

July 28th, 2012, 17:55
Are you mental, I have never said I live "here" ( I assume you mean pattaya) - however if you like I'll see you in about three hours anywhere you'd like in pattaya ( as I'm in bkk today) and then you can eat your words in person ? Or maybe you'd like to call to my hotel ( tarntawan ) and speak to me personally then you can tell me where you THINK I am, what is that old saying about one should never assume as it makes an ass out of you etc, I think it's quite fitting in this case for you. And for your information I do like gravy chips why is that such a hard concept to grasp for you, I believe many millions of other people also share my enjoyment of same so have you ever thought that perhaps its YOU who is out of step with current eating trends which for you claiming to be an international aclaimed food critic is something I would have thought you should have been up on instead of recommending places with limited menus, limited opening hours, slow service ( due to them not even having a microwave) and worst of all not supplying what their probable customer base actually want. First rule of business - give the customer what he wants otherwise you're sure to fail - and with your food critic "help" I fear that's where your friends might head :-(

And as for sticking anything anywhere, please, even I wouldn't stoop that low and that's saying something !

Narakmak
July 28th, 2012, 17:58
They do have a microwave.
You can get gravy and chips other places such as Jolly Friar.
Doesn't sound like you live here.
This place would hurt their brand by stooping to offering British food at their Chinese restaurant.
Go somewhere else, why don't you?
Anyway, I know you're a troll.

July 28th, 2012, 18:17
BRILLIANT NEWS !! They now have a microwave ! Sure that was one of my very suggestions to help them speed things up and you were so high and mighty that you said the place would never stoop to such low levels as using a microwave, this is excellent news as it at least shows they unlike you are able to admit they might be wrong and were open to suggestion, excellent news, please pass on my congratulations to the owners for listening to me.

And can I take your " well it doesn't sound like you here" to be as close as you can come to actually managing to admit you were wrong and I am in fact in bkk at this very minute and was in pattaya for the last three weeks or are you still going to flog that horse for a bit longer and make yourself look even more foolish perhaps - up to you, as I said if you're THAT convinced I'm not "here" then pop down to bkk tonight where you can pay my obviously imaginary bar bill for me a few friends and maybe that will convince you where I am or not.

And if you read any of my other posts you will see I am no troll, just merely quite happy to keep setting you up in alloeing you to display your own arrogance and ignorance towards the good citizens of Pattaya who "obviously" are beneath you as you keep pointing out so often.

So, see you in telephone bar later then to pay my bar bill ?? - oh they also do food so perhaps you could give us all a quick review while you're there - no on second thoughts better not as I like that bar and I'd hate one of your "reviews" to close it !

Narakmak
July 28th, 2012, 18:29
I never said they don't have a microwave. Their dumplings, noodles, and stir fries are all freshly made to order but they use the wave to heat up some prepared things like their curries, marinated ribs I think, etc.
I also never said they are the best restaurant in the world as obviously such a place wouldn't have a microwave and it wouldn't be in lowbrow Pattaya.
I am saying some of their dishes are world class.
As I said, you don't LIVE here. It's OK that you don't, but the reality is the potential core for Pao would be expats and Chinese tourists. TOURISTS like you mostly go for Thai food and also their home country food (widely available, you do not need Pao for that).
Stop trolling. It's tedious.
Why do you care at all about this place anyway? I can assure they will never have your chips w/ gravy and I know you know perfectly well there are plenty of places selling that crap food all over Bangkok and Pattaya anyway. Nobody needs an authentic Chinese restaurant to serve such garbage. It's just your troll game. You are fooling nobody.
You are only here to wind me up. Who is the CUNT here exactly? I care about something real here. You care to play stupid childish troll games, again and again.

Look, it is clear to me that this forum is mostly for gay sex tourists and has very few local resident expats. A place like Pao needs a core of resident expats and of course some tourists. The tourists they get are mostly from China, Russia, and Korea. They don't get many western tourists but they do get western (and Chinese) expats. Understandably this board isn't a great place to suggest Pao as most of you are western sex TOURISTS. Not knocking western gay sex tourists; just don't think you are a great market for what Pao is doing and it also isn't located in your special sex ghettos.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread should be closed but if not, I'll reply to further expected troll attacks.

July 28th, 2012, 19:04
:occasion5: "Who is the cunt here ?"

Well I'm quite prepared to put that to the vote if you are - not that you'd care if the vote came down against you as you're that arrogant you'd probably just say we were all to stupid to know what we are talking about anyway and dismiss our opinion like you have with just about everyone else in this thread over the months, I find it hard to believe someone can be so blind to their own arrogance and rudeness and my trolling as you call it is and was me simply setting you up to see just how far your arrogance would take you - and you managed to excel and even out do yourself yourself over and over again.

Don't you get it, we all probably accept your restauant serves nice food ( even though me bring a gravy chip man couldn't POSSIBLY know what good food is of course as you've stated so arrogantly before) but can't you see in your blind arrogance and defending YOUR sole and single opinion you probably did more damage than good to your favourite eateries reputation, several people tried to point that out to you on several occassionally and give you an "out" to stop but your own arrogance wouldn't let you and you always had to have the last high handed, usually insulting word, so if any damage has been done is not by my asking as what started as a joke "do they do gravy chips" but your own total and absolute lack of any grace in your replies to people or your high handed attitude in judging people you don't know, whether here on the board or the entire populace of Pattaya in one fell swoop - and if you can't see how that might be offensive to people then I rest my case on the whole arrogance issue - either that or you're just plain thick !

So cunt you or I, I'll happily let others make up their own minds on that but unlike you I would actually care in this case what their opinion was perhaps.

Ps whilst I'm not going to bother searching the posts you did say they wouldn't have a microwave about the place or words to that effect as we suggested it to speed up service (as a further joke and to see if you feel for it) and you do did and went off on a rant about such a place would NEVER use microwaves etc etc, but I am somewhat concerned to read that you ate now telling us they are actually using them to heat their curries etc and these arent evrn prepared fresh now you tell us, just how lazy is that !! :-(

Narakmak
July 28th, 2012, 19:09
I never said they don't have a microwave. I wish they didn't, but they do. It's usually a bad sign. But like I said not everything there is world class. Just some things.
Again, I can live with being thought a cunt so I really don't care.
Yes I reckon I would win a cunt poll contest so I concede that. Why would I care? This board is like a pack of hyenas anyway.
I do care about Chinese food though.
Yes I do get why people would think I'm a cunt and I do get why people would think I'm a bit of a food snob. I am rather a food snob. As I'm not British I don't think about whether I am a cunt or not. Perhaps I am. Not so sure that's such a bad thing to be, as Brits are always calling each other cunts, it must be very popular, like chips and gravy.
Cheers.

July 28th, 2012, 19:26
Well, I'm glad we've finally managed to agree on somethings i.e in that you are by your own admission a cunt and also ( more importantly) that chips and gravy are indeed very popular !! I consider this last fact to be great progress in the hope that your restaurant friends may now also grasp this fact and embrace this popular dish to a revised menu :-)

Cheers.

Narakmak
July 28th, 2012, 19:29
I'm gay. I'm not British. So I don't really know from cunts, but if the hyenas here think I'm a cunt, that's fine with me. I will wear that badge with honor.

July 28th, 2012, 19:40
Congratulations on that particular badge of honour that you seem so pleased to have attained and on that note I will bid you good night as due to my being in Bangkok tonight I'm off for some Thai food - and by Thai food I do of course mean burger king who do a great "spicy" chicken burger but alas no gravy with their fries but I can't have everything , high quality freshly prepared Thai food ( as they cook the chicken burger to order and right in front of you) AND expect them to have gravy too as no one is THAT lucky!

Narakmak
July 28th, 2012, 19:58
Thank you. From one cunt to another. Does that make us lesbians? Can't have gravy but maybe have some pussy juice? Not sure. Better ask Kitty.

kittyboy
July 28th, 2012, 20:48
Thank you. From one cunt to another. Does that make us lesbians? Can't have gravy but maybe have some pussy juice? Not sure. Better ask Kitty.

Cunt pride?

You are proud of being a disagreeable person?

Narakmak
July 28th, 2012, 22:19

Cunt pride?

You are proud of being a disagreeable person?"Hello you old cunt, how are you? You're looking well."

Looking forward to never seeing you at Pao. How are the spring rolls at China Garden? :pottytrain2:

Kitty, you cunt, if you REALLY want to disturb me (so far you haven't even one bit, why would I care if a priggish troll calls me a cunt, I love it!) then eat at PAO every night and sit there for hours making it difficult for me to avoid you. You see, you cunt, I am allergic to cats.

July 28th, 2012, 23:40
..Cunt Pride..

Sounds like some kind of Lesbian Mardi Gras

:ura1:

Narakmak
July 29th, 2012, 00:02
Better than the misogyny promoted by Miss Kitty Von Gynophobia!

bucknaway
July 29th, 2012, 00:26
Is anyone still talking about the restaurant?

I would like to give them a try when I visit. Can you tell me where they are and keep in mind that I am a visitor and don't remember any of the street names.

Narakmak
July 29th, 2012, 00:31
Is anyone still talking about the restaurant?

I would like to give them a try when I visit. Can you tell me where they are and keep in mind that I am a visitor and don't remember any of the street names.
It's easy.
Go to the intersection of 2nd road and Pattaya Klang (Pattaya Central Road). That's the corner where the big TOPS supermarket with the bowling alley above is located.

From there head away from the beach on Pattaya Klang.

It is between 2nd and 3rd on Pattaya Klang, north side of the street.
It is right next door to Fascino pharmacy.
It is across the street from some kind of small indoor football stadium.
Another landmark is Leng Kee Thai Chinese restaurant on the other side of the street but not as far away from the beach as Pao.
If you go as far as the TOT (phone company) office on Pattaya Klang, you went too far.
Go back.

bucknaway
July 29th, 2012, 01:40
Thanks!

kittyboy
July 29th, 2012, 11:54

Exactly how am I huring myself my not checking out Pao?

bruce_nyc
July 29th, 2012, 12:39
Wondering how I missed this now 12-page item! lol

The restaurant actually sounds worth trying. Thanks for suggesting it, and for being so passionate about it.

( By the way, everyone, the thing about trolling is... It's like a grease fire. You're not supposed to throw water on it. )

kittyboy
July 29th, 2012, 15:36
Bruce - An unbiased, hyperbole free, threat free review would be interesting.

I predict personal abuse directed at you if you do not agree with the OP...or maybe you will agree with the OP and see the faces of the gods in the egg rolls, hand made noodles and other specialties that the fry cooks fry up.

July 29th, 2012, 16:23
While you're there Bruce would you be sure to mention my gravy chip suggestion to the owners as I'd hate to think that namaraks own pig headedness was stopping them from becoming perhaps one of the most renowned purveyors of gravy chips and the like in pattaya. Do be sure let me know how that all goes now wont you :-) lol

Narakmak
July 29th, 2012, 16:55
Bruce - An unbiased, hyperbole free, threat free review would be interesting.

I predict personal abuse directed at you if you do not agree with the OP...or maybe you will agree with the OP and see the faces of the gods in the egg rolls, hand made noodles and other specialties that the fry cooks fry up.
Wrong. I am OK with honest negative reviews of course. I would want people to say specifically what they ate because as I know the menu very well I would have some idea if they ordered well or not. Not everything on the menu is stellar, so if you happen to order a combo of the weaker ones, and a selection with bad balance, it would be normal to not be very impressed.

The portions and prices are small. To have a great meal there, you need to order a number of dishes. This month they raised their prices about 10-15 percent so a bountiful meal there will now cost about 300 baht. Gratis Chinese tea is offered and there is no plus plus or even a tipping expectation, so the place remains excellent value.

They do not do egg rolls, you Cunt, nor are they fry cooks, they are trained CHEFS.

Narakmak
July 29th, 2012, 16:59
While you're there Bruce would you be sure to mention my gravy chip suggestion to the owners as I'd hate to think that namaraks own pig headedness was stopping them from becoming perhaps one of the most renowned purveyors of gravy chips and the like in pattaya. Do be sure let me know how that all goes now wont you :-) lolTrust me, 100 people can suggest gravy chips there and they will get 100 forget about its. I know you're a troll though, who do you think you're kidding?

July 29th, 2012, 17:15
Oh for dear sake Nam - there's a huge difference between a troll who trawls every thread going out of their way to cause rows and me singularity taking the piss out of you on this single thread, OF course the whole gravy chip is a joke, it always has been and of course I never "really" expect your beloved restaurant to add them to their menu, but it's your total lack of ever being able to see that - even when you clearly identify that I'm taking the piss but keep responding as if I'm not that makes it so funny. And everytime I go to stop you usually come out with some ridiculous puffed up self important "listen to me I'm a food critic don't you know" nonsense and so you set yourself right up for more of the same.

Based in some of your responses to both myself and SEVERAL other posters im beginning to think that you REALLY are one very strange person indeed and in fact that there's something quite unhinged about some of your responses sometimes, which I guess is why you believe you are a food critic in the first place :-) I always laugh at any "critic" and judge them all as being a bit unhinged anyway in that they would have the pomposity to "actually and really" believe that their opinion on any given subject might be of more importance than anyone else's on the planet and their lack of realising why that is patently ridiculous is actually quite funny when you stand back and listening to them getting all puffed up while giving their "so important" expert critic on something as important as a dumpling lol - cracks me up :-)

Narakmak
July 29th, 2012, 17:17
Some people care about food more than others. I care about food very much. No apologies.
I get your joke, dude, but you are harassing me relentlessly so not only do I think you are a troll, I think you are total asshole. American for cunt?

July 29th, 2012, 17:28
Ah you see when you went from
A simple joke about doing gravy chips to making person insults and calling me a yob and various other things when of course you don't know me at all and were basing your opinions on your own narrow stereotypical view of people that you believe are beneath you then all bets were off my friend and as I fully expected rather being a nice guy with an opinion on food you turned by your own admission to be nothing than a cunt - ( seeing as you're so proud of your title) with nothing more than a simple opinion - just like the rest of us I guess :-) welcome to masses, you're opinions nothing special - in my critical view of course :-)

Ok I'm done with you now, I hope your nice restaurant does ok - as with your attempts at "promoting" it on here the probably need all the luck they can get now !

Have a nice day :-)

Narakmak
July 29th, 2012, 17:39
Feck you very much too.
Why weren't you done 20 posts ago? You're just another hyena. Thinking you're so clever with your idiotic chips and gravy joke. You think its so funny you can't help yourself telling it how many times? I see you hold yourself in high regard. Look in the mirror, jerk. I'm not here to harass people like you are. How low can you get?

As far as food opinions. Food opinions are subjective. But some people have more informed opinions.

kittyboy
July 29th, 2012, 19:09
I am still trying to work out how I am harming myself by not going that chinese diner.

REfer to the post earlier about mexican food places in pattaya.
You were abusive to posters who disagreed with you.

Are the short order cooks fuckable? Hong kong guys are cute. I might visit to give a review on what is really important...the fuckability factor of the staff

Narakmak
July 29th, 2012, 19:11
Do whatever you like. This has become tedious.

July 29th, 2012, 19:15
You are right , tedious