PDA

View Full Version : Big Buddah Day Wednesday March 7th

Neal
March 4th, 2012, 01:10
Wednesday March 7th is big Buddah Day. If my memory serves me correctly, most beer bars and all go go bars will be closed even for serving soft drinks.
Will let you know as soon as we know and will check who will be open and who will be closed.. My suggestion to you is to buy a bottle or 3, get your mixers and your boy(s) the day before and have a party!

Of course remember that BANKS and all government offices will be closed also. I am not sure about bank and exchange kiosks, but the best bet is to stock up! Of course all ATMs will be working overtime.
:party

March 4th, 2012, 01:21
big buddah day !!!!!!!!!!!!! da boss just how many birthdays do you actually have a year ??? :occasion5:

March 4th, 2012, 02:00
I have decided that I have lived here long enough to be eligible to have as many birthdays as the boys claim to have each year!
:sign5: :alc:

March 4th, 2012, 16:57
I have decided that I have lived here long enough to be eligible to have as many birthdays as the boys claim to have each year!
:sign5: :alc:

Many on here have already had as many bithdays as a few of the boys.

Added together.

:occasion9:

cdnmatt
March 4th, 2012, 17:43
Ohhh, fuck... Kim doesn't tell me anything.

So on the 7th I'm getting dragged to the village, then to the temple, than for a feast & party? Well, ok then... learn something new everyday, I guess.

[EDIT: Nevermind, asked him about the 7th, and he had no clue what I was talking about. So I guess I don't have to worry about it. :-)]

martin911
March 5th, 2012, 10:17
I actually like the fact that i might get a day Off from all that !!!! -- :rolling:

martin911
March 5th, 2012, 10:29
Classic !!!!
I make a point of reg telling my little demon how old his mama was (never mind him !!) when i was his age now !!!!!

Doesnt seem to bother him !! -- He thinks ive aged well ( although the little fucker is rapidly reversing that for me :banghead: )

He is als asking people we meet how old they think i am -- one nite the answers had a 18 year differential from the youngest ans to the oldest ans !!! -- :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

March 5th, 2012, 18:48
Kim doesn't tell me anything. - Nevermind, asked him about the 7th, and he had no clue what I was talking about. So I guess I don't have to worry about it. :-)]

he he you're fooling no one Matt as I'm feeling from your answer that you're actually secretly disappointed now that you're not going and were in fact looking forward to a wee surprise day out for you both perhaps :-)) So hey maybe YOU should take Kim and surprise the hell out of him just for the crack !! :-)

Sorry just realised I should perhaps have opened a new topic about the temple question ...so I have now done so.

pong
March 6th, 2012, 08:16
proper banks will close yes, as will be all Thai govt offices. The usual exchange windows in touristy areas not.
Bars may or may not remain open. Officially-and mostly adhered too-no alco, at least not visible. Some simply close as they say''cannot sell beer-no customer come''.
No-it is not party day. It is quite a solemn celebration-mostly VERY early-too early for most of you anyway- by treating the monks to new robes and other goodies. So an utmost chance of BKKs' filthy rich to again show off how well they have made it in life. You'd better be monk in a nearby temple as in some remote Isany ban. And forget that christian oath of poverty...
Oh-BTW-the coming 2 or 3 weekends there is yet another Guiness book of Buddist records=attempt here in BKK-giving alms to 20.000 or even more monks-again very early-but they will close off some major roads just for that-also leading to the BUSterminal etc-to play havock with any farang with their overtight schedules anbd outbursts of emotions at such occasions.

March 7th, 2012, 00:43
glad im not going to be in bangkok on those dates ... or else id have to try and work out what pong meant ! :dontknow:

Neal
March 7th, 2012, 01:35
Happy Place will be open selling soft drinks.

alanthebuilder
March 7th, 2012, 08:25
Just drove past the Wat ,three guys sat outside it drinking Change at 7-30 am , so much for no Alcohol :bounce:

cdnmatt
March 7th, 2012, 16:02
he he you're fooling no one Matt as I'm feeling from your answer that you're actually secretly disappointed now that you're not going and were in fact looking forward to a wee surprise day out for you both perhaps :-)) So hey maybe YOU should take Kim and surprise the hell out of him just for the crack !! :-)

Nope, honestly didn't want to goto the village, because then I have to pay for everything, because nobody else has any money, and it'd cost me 4000 baht. Didn't matter though, because papa and little brother came here. Not sure where papa is now, but little brother is hanging out on the couch downstairs. Who knows, maybe he's sticking around for a couple weeks. *shrug*. I wouldn't mind if he stuck around here anyway. He's a skinny little fucker, so maybe we can get him to eat decently, fatten him up bit, and get him looking healthy. Reminds me of when I first met Kim. Tiny body, faced all sucked in, etc... gross!

But the good news (well, not really) is, Kim skipped school today, so he knows full well I'm pissed off at him, and there's not a chance he'll ask for a single baht. :-) Bad news is, yesterday I gave him 6000 baht for school supplies, he only bought 2500 baht worth, and today was supposed to go into town with his teacher to get the rest of the shit. Instead of sleeping though, he decided to drink lao khao all night, plus papa came, so if that 3500 baht is gone, I'm going to be livid.

And tomorrow he's going to school. He's excellent at it, he loves it, and his teacher thinks he kicks ass. He's waking up at 8:30am tomorrow, and if he doesn't want to, I'll throw a bucket of ice on him. :-) Took about 3 years, but he finally found a passion for something. Of course, it's the typical gay thing of being a hair stylist, but one of the one's for wedding, special occasions, etc. I don't care though, as long as it's something, and something that he enjoys, then I'm thrilled.

One of his friends does this, and he/she (katoey) can make like 6000 baht in one day if there's a wedding. That's amazing for Issan. So I figure, I busted my ass and worked hard to earn the money that's putting Kim through school, and he really enjoys it, and he's really good at it, so he can go. Then he can go work, make say 20,000 baht/month, and help his family. He's wants all this shit too, and constantly tells me about it, but I just ended up in the unfortunate role of having to provide the discipline to get him there. Don't worry, I'm not being an asshole, because he does genuinely want this. He just needs a little push for now to keep him going.

Ok, that was off topic, but that's how my day is going. How's yours? :-)

March 8th, 2012, 01:48
Ha ha dont worry I enjoyed your little deviation there :-) And seeing you asked my day is going to crap thanks as one of my key staff have just come in and handed their notice to leave which is really going to screw me up business and money wise :-( ......and that's only about the 5th shitty thing business wise to have happened this week :-( so all in alll I'm just about ready for the hills ( or perhaps Issan !!?? ) - ha ha oh and whillst I was sitting here feeling a bit sorry for myself I got a call on my mobile from a Thai friend who is back in his village, who immediately asked me to call him back of course as he had no credit on his phone (just for a change!), who literally was ringing just to have a good moan / cry down the phone about how shit he feels his life is just now as apparently his alcoholic father had just turned up at his house (where his mother was visiting) and basically kicked the door in, had a huge fight with my friend over nothing in particular by the sounds of it (as the father was blind drunk) then when the mother intervened to calm things down he punched her square in the face, cut her cheek quite badly apparently and stormed off out in a drunken rage, so needless to say my friend was a bit upset and just wanted to hear some words of comfort from his favourite farang, but I have to say that for once as my day was so shit that he ended up more consolling me rather than the other way round lol and he even actually offered to send ME some money "if that would help" lol ( althouhg needless to say he then quickly followed that statement up with the fact that he didn't "actually HAVE" any money that he was able to send lol :-) So, no harm, but I think if I was you - and money or not (as I'm guessing you're not short of a baht or two there :-)) I think you should have just gone to the village with them all, got hammered, had a damned good blow out and THEN forced KIM up with the bucket of iced water at the scrake of dawn for school in the morning and watched him suffer as you returned to bed for a while to recover - explaining all the while to him of course that you were only doing it becuase you loved him and it was character building !! lol :-)

joe552
March 8th, 2012, 04:17
NIrish guy - I enjoy your posts, but PLEASE use paragraphs.

cdnmatt
March 8th, 2012, 05:07
so all in alll I'm just about ready for the hills ( or perhaps Issan !!?? )

Come on by! I'll grill us up some steaks. If it helps any, my work life sucks right now too. Money is great, but everything is just a mess, and I'm constantly totally buried under.

apparently his alcoholic father had just turned up at his house (where his mother was visiting) and basically kicked the door in, had a huge fight with my friend over nothing in particular by the sounds of it (as the father was blind drunk) then when the mother intervened to calm things down he punched her square in the face, cut her cheek quite badly apparently and stormed off out in a drunken rage

Ouch, no good. Be careful of that shit, because it can get dangerous in Thailand. I can't quite remember when, but about 2 or 3 months ago, one of Kim's friends parents got into a fight like that. The dad got drunk, accused the wife of cheating (whether or not she was, I have no idea), and murdered her. Took a knife, chopped up her face, and stabbed her in the neck. So poor Kim's friend lost both parents in one night. Mom got murdered by dad, and now dad is sitting in jail, maybe for life.

Actually thinking about it, that's the second time I've known that's happened. About a year ago it happened to another of Kim's friends. The difference is, the mom didn't die, but is permanently scarred & injured, and the dad hung himself instead of going to jail. Oh, and speaking of suicide, about 3 weeks ago the guy across the street broke up with his girlfriend, and hung himself because he was heart broken. Fuck me, what a place to live...

I think you should have just gone to the village with them all, got hammered, had a damned good blow out and THEN forced KIM up with the bucket of iced water at the scrake of dawn for school in the morning

Nah, I avoid the village, as I don't enjoy it. It doesn't matter that I make more money than them, it's the whole principle of everything that gets under my skin, so I don't bother. I think Thaksin and the red-shirts instilled this entitlement mindset into loads of people in Issan, and it just pisses me off the way many villagers view things, so I do what I can do avoid it. Anyway, Kim ended up in bed at a good hour, so I'm sure will be waking up shortly, and will goto school.

AND, today actually worked out great! I took full advantage of the opportunity presented because Kim screwed up and knew I was mad, and managed to bring this little man home as the newest addition to our family, without any complaints from Kim (generally, I would have had to listen to Kim bitch for about 6 hours straight). :-)

http://i.imgur.com/RwCiK.jpg

Don't worry, I know he looks small, but his mama is right next door about 3 feet away, so he'll kinda live at both houses for the next few weeks, until he's comfortable here. And in about 16 months, he'll probably look like his brother:

http://i.imgur.com/BD0U9.jpg

Thailand has definitely turned me into a dog lover. Never had one before in my life, but now I have 4 of them! :-) Excellent security guards too. My door stays open 24x7, and I never have to worry about it.

March 8th, 2012, 06:58
NIrish guy - I enjoy your posts, but PLEASE use paragraphs.

Ha ha yes point taken :-) now that I'm sitting at home looking at that post again with a glass of wine in my hand I can see that was a 100% ball of stress post ! :-)

So yes I'll definitely try and remember to look up and take and a breath occassionally !! Lol

cdnmatt
March 8th, 2012, 07:58
PS. Whew! Talk about a cranky boyfriend. Never brought out the ice, but I did bring in 3 of the dogs. That got him up. :-)

He's not very happy with me, but that's ok. He'll thank me later, in a year or two. :)

March 8th, 2012, 08:11
Come on by! I'll grill us up some steaks.

Sounds like a plan !!! You get the steaks on and I'll get the beers !! lol

Ouch, no good. Be careful of that shit, because it can get dangerous in Thailand.........Oh, and speaking of suicide, about 3 weeks ago the guy across the street broke up with his girlfriend, and hung himself because he was heart broken. Fuck me, what a place to live...

Oh don't worry the total and only extent of my involvement re any of that was and only will ever be a passing "oh dear, really, that's too bad" sympathetic ear sort of thing ! And as for the the the suicide guy etc.......thank you, you've just made me remember that perhaps my day wasn't maybe THAT bad after all !! lol

I managed to bring this little man home as the newest addition to our family

AWWWWW :-) At the risk of showing myself up as a big poof he ( she?) is SO cute - and if Kim kicks up a stink over a cute wee puppy like that well I know who would be leaving the house that night and it wouldn't be the dog ! :-).......well certainly at least until I got horny anyways I guess.....ha ha and just for the record I "should" point out that it would then of course be the dog leaving .........ha ha hell I'd better watch out as that's how nasty rumours get started on here !! :-)) lol