View Full Version : Songkran 2012...Buckle Your Seatbelts

Dodger
March 2nd, 2012, 05:31
The Thai word, Songkran means "move" or "change place". The name, which is derived from Sanskrit language, indicates the changes in the position of sun in the zodiac (into Aries), and from my experiences with Songkran the terms тАЬmoveтАЭ or тАЬchange placeтАЭ certainly seen appropriate, as in places like Pattaya or Bangkok if I didnтАЩt move or change the place where I was standing I would have been flattened by a drunk on a motorbikeтАжand IтАЩm a SagittariusтАжgo figure!

This is the time when the Thais celebrate their New Year. Along with the Thai people in other countries like China, Sri Lanka, Laos, Myanmar and Yunnan who also celebrate their New Year during this time. The date of the festival was earlier worked out as per the astrological calendar, however now a fixed date is used, from April 13 -15, and of course in the тАЬExtreme CityтАЭ (Pattaya) the big splash day is normally on April 19th. April 13 is known as the Maha Songkran Day or the last day of the old year whereas April 14 is Wan Nao. The New year begins on April 15 and is known as Wan Thaloeng Sok. Till 1888, the Thai New year marked the beginning of the year, however, presently January 1 is the time when the new year begins. Nonetheless, the Thai New Year is still is a national holiday in the country.

In true tradition, Songkran involves (or was intended to involve) people pouring small amounts of water on other peopleтАЩs hands to convey their respect, although this has metamorphed into a riotous water war resulting in thousands of fatalities every year mostly from drunk drivers.

Many farang detest Songkran and canтАЩt get far enough away during the celebration period. I for one have always managed to enjoy it. Frankly, I donтАЩt get too many opportunities to sit around and watch sexy half-naked boys running around soaking wet with their pants sliding down to their knees here in Chicago so I just sit back and try not to agonize.

Last year I did a bit more pre-planning than normal and had the fridge stocked with plenty of food and drink and a few extra towels in the hung nam for any spontaneous visitors. By the morning of April 20th my fridge was empty and there was a stack of wet towels on the floor and powder all over the bed sheets. Not a day that was celebrated in the true sense, although a day that was celebrated none-the-less.

Splish SplashтАж

martin911
March 2nd, 2012, 06:36
I once was one of those farang who did not like Songkarn ---- when i was only an infrequent visitor to Thailand -- and the abs sterotypical sex tourist --i make no bones about it -- i thought it was a horrible holiday --i rem once shaking with abs freezing cold in DJ Station one Songkarn nite --and it got in the way of me trying to fxxk as many guys as possible in the short time that i had in Thailand

Until i experienced it in the company of i guess you could say somebody special !! and i saw how truly a special thing it was for the Thais --and how i thought I was so lucky to see something like this !!!

The abs fun and joy that the Thais seem to have for Songkarn i think is unique to them ,and in this modern day world of ours its so nice to see a nation of people young and old celebrate it --from the oh so shy innocent smiles of the little 3 yo girls JUST before they dose the poor unsuspecting farang with ICE water --to the much older ladies ladies as they see the poor unsuspecting farang get dosed and give u a little nod as if to say "its Songkarn " enjoy ""

Oh yes and all the semi naked horny Thai(not all Gay) wet and frollicking ALL over the place ---Soi 4 in Bkk -- i never saw anything like it -!!!!
-until last year when i went to Ot To Kor for the last songkarn nite in Bkk --thousands of GAY horny wet guys having fun --the testorone in the air you could almost taste it !!!

Only in Thailand !!!-

bkkguy
March 2nd, 2012, 19:54
Until i experienced it in the company of i guess you could say somebody special !! and i saw how truly a special thing it was for the Thais --and how i thought I was so lucky to see something like this !!!

what did you see that was so special? some cute Thai guys in wet t-shirts looking sexy?

what about the throwing of iced water through the window of a public bus in BKK or a baht bus in Pattaya hitting people on their way home or out to family occasions? buckets of water dumped on Pizza Hut delivery motorcycle guys as they try to make their deliveries? drunk drivers causing more road deaths in a few days than would be acceptable in a few years in just about any other country in the world?

sorry but when I first came to Thailand 20 years ago Songkran was worth experiencing with a Thai friend - polite people pouring lustral water on your palm - but now it is more like Songkram (all out war) and bad luck for anyone who does not want to participate in this modern corruption of Songkran!

bkkguy

paulo15
March 3rd, 2012, 00:57
Yeah, it's certainly not what it was... ;-)

http://incm.info/songkran_myths/

Cheers

March 3rd, 2012, 01:15
... ... now if beachy claims these pictures are his then who are we to doubt him ???

colmx
March 3rd, 2012, 01:52
Yeah, it's certainly not what it was... ;-)

http://incm.info/songkran_myths/

Cheers

Brilliant Post Paulo!
That is really one in the eye for the Songkran knockers "it wasn't like that back in my day" Grandpa Simpson types!

colmx
March 3rd, 2012, 01:53
Until i experienced it in the company of i guess you could say somebody special !! and i saw how truly a special thing it was

Aww thanks Martin... I never realised you felt that way! :love4: :love4:

Jellybean
March 3rd, 2012, 12:17
My first experience of song-graan was when I lived in Hua Hin. The best part was just being part of the crowd and watching everyone, especially the half naked and very wet young men having such fun. The worst part was when I had to drive and trucks carrying revellers (on both sides of the road!) or people on and by the road through powder and/or water by the bucket load at my car. The first time was a bit of a shock, but thereafter I got used to it. I found it was always a good idea to drive very slowly or just stop and let people spray the car or plaster it in white powder. I soon discovered that it was best to drive as little as possible during this period.

I was told that the best place to experience song-graan was in Chiang Mai so, two or three years ago, (IтАЩve posted on this subject before) I went up to Chiang Mai and stayed at the Lavender Lanna Hotel, which turned out to be a great advantage point to watch the four days of fun. The hotel also laid on some very good DJs who played some of the best dance music IтАЩve heard in Thailand, adding to the fun and festive nature of the occasion.

IтАЩve since made it a habit to remain in Thailand until after song-graan before heading back to the UK. Last year I spent most of the time at and around BTS Sala Daeng in the Silom area of Bangkok. However, when I headed off to the bars in тАШSoi TwilightтАЩ on the last night I realised IтАЩd made a mistake, because it was clear there was no way I would make it from Sala Daeng to Surawong Road without getting absolutely drenched. When I eventually arrived at the first bar I was soaking wet and the staff helped me out as best they could by giving me tissues and serviettes to dry myself off.

At the end of the evening with a new boy in tow we were unable to get a taxi on Surawong Road and made our way to Silom to take the sky train home. But that proved impossible, there were just too many people and there was no way we could get to Sala Daeng. We got soaked on the way and soaked again on the way back. When we eventually returned to Surawong Road we had to walk the length of the road and cut across Silom Road at Naradhiwas Road getting more water thrown at us and more water powder plastered on us. By the time we got home we were both drenched and covered in white powder. After showering I gave my тАШnew friendтАЩ a dry T-shirt and shorts and put his clothes out on the balcony to dry.

I expect to go out and enjoy the Thai New Year at Silom again this year. I wish everyone a safe and fun new year.

:party

martin911
March 3rd, 2012, 12:21
Until i experienced it in the company of i guess you could say somebody special !! and i saw how truly a special thing it was

Aww thanks Martin... I never realised you felt that way! :love4: :love4:

Well that day was my first Songkarn with N --that day we met you and T outside Central lol -- i had a ball --and finished off getting groped all over in the Dave foam party

Manforallseasons
March 3rd, 2012, 14:48
For many of us that live in Pattaya Songkran is a nitemare made wore by farang, I make planes to go elsewhere every April 15 and return on the 20th...as the 19 is the worst day, this year I'll be in Vietnam Nam.

March 3rd, 2012, 16:07
For many of us that live in Pattaya Songkran is a nitemare made wore by farang, I make planes to go elsewhere every April 15 and return on the 20th...as the 19 is the worst day, this year I'll be in Vietnam Nam.

You sound like a real fun guy - do you spend Xmas in Iran?

:occasion9:

Neal
March 3rd, 2012, 20:58
well I have to agree with him Scotty. Many of the people of Pattaya make a made dash for somewhere for Sonkran. About a 1/2 dozen or so years ago, I partook in the festivities but with the water levels so low, my health so bad so as to slip in the middle of someone elses fun and get hurt or whatever, I used to wait patiently in Pattaya while Sonkran was in Bkk. Just as there was a two day lull before Sankran came to Pattaya, I would make a mad dash for the Shangri-la in Bkk and stay there while the madness was here, return to watch the employees cleaning up the mess after it was over. I have not yet decided where to lock myself up yet this year. While I too believe it is great to have fun, there does not seem to be a hiding place for those of us that for one reason or another don't want to or cannot partake in the festivities. :dontknow:

topjohn5
March 3rd, 2012, 22:10
Hi All!
I'm back again after a long hiatus from this and every other board...I see the last time I logged in was August 16, 2009 which was before I moved to BKK.
This will actually be my first Songkran. In 2010 it was canceled due to the riots in BKK. Last year I went to the States during that time. So, this year will be my virgin Songkran but sadly (or happily) I won't be in BKK since this month I'm moving 5-6 hours south of here to the Chumphon area where I'm building a house.
I'm looking forward to Songkran and I'm told it's a bit different in a smaller city but just as crazy.
Cheers Everyone!

colmx
March 3rd, 2012, 22:31
Welcome back TopJohn!

You should try to make it up to Pattaya for the 18th/19th

I'm sure your crazy friend Gun would only be too happy to bring you a bunch of boys to enjoy Songkran with! :party :party

Neal
March 3rd, 2012, 23:52
Welcome to the NEW Sawatdee Gay Forum Topjohn5!!
:party

Dodger
March 4th, 2012, 02:08
While I too believe it is great to have fun, there does not seem to be a hiding place for those of us that for one reason or another don't want to or cannot partake in the festivities

I spent Songkran up in the small town of Phrae several years ago and will never forget it. I don't know if you have any limitations on traveling, but if you don't, this certainly provides a great alternative.

Phrae, like most other small to medium sized towns in LOS celebrates Songran the old fashioned way, e.g., colorfull parades and processions, music, dancing in the streets, food stalls galore, smiles in abundance, drinking, joyous laughter, and best of all, the people allow tiny droplets of water to flow through their fingers onto the forehead of another as a symbol of awareness and respect...a warm exchange of smiles...a curteous wai if an elder or monk is involved, and all done with the gentleness and mindfulness that only a Thai can convey. Not anything like the drunken kaos you see in the big cites.

Regardless if the boys who originate from these small towns work in the big cities or work the farm most return home to celebrate Songkran offering a very nice background of fun for a visting alien (farang). I somehow ended up with a cute boy leading me around the sois by my wrist in his role of self-appointed tour guide. He assumed (correctly) that I was attracted to him due to the fact that my camera lense remained focused directly on him as if he was the only person in Phrae at that given moment. Great person...great lover. When I think about Songkran I always flash back to Phrae...and when I flash back to Phrae I always remember him...Viva Songkran!

Neal
March 4th, 2012, 05:07
Thanks and I will certainly look into it. My only big concern is a hospital with a dialysis center in that town. One that knows really how to do it.

witchhunt
March 4th, 2012, 07:12

You sound like a real fun guy - do you spend Xmas in Iran?

:occasion9:

When do you arrive in Thailand for Songkran, scottish-guy? I hope you don't miss any part of it!

painai2
March 4th, 2012, 09:49
I, too, will be buckling my seat belt--on a plane leaving Thailand about April 10, returning about April 20. I absolutely do not find Pattaya any fun for that time of water wars. Ducking from some foreigner who shoots water at you through a PVC pipe or ducking water thrown at you while sitting in the back of a baht bus is not my idea of fun. However, if you love it--great! I'm just getting out of town, time to try a different place for that period.

pong
March 9th, 2012, 18:46
I spent Songkran up in the small town of Phrae several years ago and will never forget it. I don't know if you have any limitations on traveling, but if you don't, this certainly provides a great alternative.

Yes-even though i did not visit that town on SK-I 100% agree with you re the charms and attractions of this small and very thai town. had about the same experience with that truely Thai hospitality and amazing looks. Just try to pronounce it-endless fun.

Dodger
March 10th, 2012, 05:07
Pong Wrote"

Just try to pronounce it-endless fun.

Made me chuckle...because I've attempted to say the name of this place a dozen times...a dozen differert ways...and then informed a dozen times that I've pronouncing it wrong. The real irony is that I've heard the Thais pronounce the name a dozen different ways as well. A mystery not to be unfolded I guess...555.

If you thought Phrae was charming during your visit - just give it a stab during SK when all the Phrae boys are relieved of their farm chores and out in mass enjoying the celebrations. Charm takes on a whole new meaning...difficult to pronounce...but well worth the mission.

March 10th, 2012, 22:44
Dodger, I am also from Chicago but love Thailand. Very excited about Songkran, it's my first! Would appreciate any tips on how to enjoy it best. Also, I am planning on going to the circuit parties. How do they compare to the parties in the states?

Dodger
March 11th, 2012, 04:25
Garret,

Nothing like Chi-Town I can promise you.

The Thai version of circuit parties usually ends up with them being hosted to a disco or karaoke somewhere which is a blast - but during Songkran the parties are almost exclusively happening on the streets. Plan to get wet...and drunk...and probably laid if that's to your liking. It's all good!