View Full Version : Tell us All About Gay Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai

Neal
February 27th, 2012, 13:01
There are many people travelling all around Thailand and yet have not experienced Gay Chaing Mei. If you live there or have spent a considerable time there, please share your favorites and not so favorite for those of us who have not been there yet or who are planning on coming to Gay Thailand and have not yet decided which cities they wish to visit.

Khor tose
February 27th, 2012, 22:32
There are many people travelling all around Thailand and yet have not experienced Gay Chaing Mei. If you live there or have spent a considerable time there, please share your favorites and not so favorite for those of us who have not been there yet or who are planning on coming to Gay Thailand and have not yet decided which cities they wish to visit.

Why???? Everything about Chiang Mai is pretty well covered here. I do not agree 100% with all of the descriptions or recommendations, but for the most part this is an outstanding reference.

http://www.radchada.com/index.php

Check them out on facebook for the latest news:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gay-in-Ch ... 7978006159 (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gay-in-Chiang-Mai-wwwgayinchiangmaicomnews/220067978006159)

Neal
February 28th, 2012, 00:37
Why my love? Because
A. Not everyone knows that website
B. Maybe some other people have different views or opinions and either want to post a different opinion or add something to the reviews. I am sure not everyone thinks that what they wrote is complete gospel.

christianpfc
February 28th, 2012, 01:08
My comments about Chiang Mai are here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23114&start=0 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23114&start=0)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Trip report Chiang Mai August 2011)

pong
February 28th, 2012, 08:02
google for nickysgaychiangmai-slightly better updated as that ratchda.
Undoubtedly the ShanKaren (he never tells the white or red variety?)admiring/loving jaafar/bontong (or so-excuse me) will follow up to again declare his utmost love and admiration for those hilltribies (though i think Shan hardly qualify as tribies-its just a Burmese subgroup-trying to squeeze into TH too-that passpt gives them much more rights). And thats right smack the new pwobwem for that city as for gays. I quite well remember and have a fond memory of that town before 2000. It was a city full of gay encounters everywhere. And they speak such a lovely understandable easy Thai. But that seems to also have gone down the drains. Not much of that anymore. Commercial scene dominated by those tribies-and hardly delivering. Maybe one indeed has to be a sensual Thai to be able to deliver good wares. No wonder its not very attractive to gay tourism-anymore. Or maybe the expats living there have scooped up all the good boys for themselves-how selfish!
There were some notable anti-gay manifestations recently-mostly coming from the locally quite strong (after all dear leader Thaksin was from there) redshirt factions. ChMai is not a gay city! they proclaimed and thus scared away some katoeys wanting to do some demonstration or even a pink or gay day. But that need not really bother you. After all Isan is also superred-they think they are the forgotten part and noone sends them enough money.
One of the best sights for me -was there last nov during the run up to YiPeng=LoyKratong-the parades at night on TaPae main street with various schools etc-many half naked lads bearing the kratongs on floats-a sight to go for!

BonTong
February 28th, 2012, 09:00
Why???? Everything about Chiang Mai is pretty well covered here. I do not agree 100% with all of the descriptions or recommendations, but for the most part this is an outstanding reference.

http://www.radchada.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Check them out on facebook for the latest news:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gay-in-Ch ... 7978006159 (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gay-in-Chiang-Mai-wwwgayinchiangmaicomnews/220067978006159)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Big hat tip to Khor Those :salute: Thank you.

We actually have two sites. radchada.com (http://www.radchada.com) is mainly just a guide to gay Chiang Mai. It's meant to be simple and factual information without opinion or recommendations about venues, so there shouldn't be much to disagree with . For various reasons, partly historic, we've saved the more opinionated stuff for the other site: Chiang Mai Gay News (http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/). Over more than 2 years we've now accumulated at least 200 articles on Gay Chiang Mai (http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/article-catalogue/). O.K. so some of it boring and mundane, like announcements for this/that event, public holiday or magazine etc. But, I hope at least some of it provides relevant and interesting commentary on the Chiang Mai scene and what goes on here. It's also a hobby which we do for free, so if people don't like it, well, tough!

The websites are a labour of love and quite time consuming so if anyone ever feels like contributing any articles or reviews etc we'd be very happy to consider them. as DaBoss said:

Maybe some other people have different views or opinions and either want to post a different opinion or add something to the reviews. I am sure not everyone thinks that what they wrote is complete gospel.

BonTong
February 28th, 2012, 10:00
google for nickysgaychiangmai-slightly better updated as that ratchda.
:sign5: You might wanna read the opening sentence onhttp://www.nickysgaychiangmai.com/

Undoubtedly the ShanKaren (he never tells the white or red variety?)admiring/loving jaafar/bontong (or so-excuse me) will follow up to again declare his utmost love and admiration for those hilltribies (though i think Shan hardly qualify as tribies-its just a Burmese subgroup-trying to squeeze into TH too-that passpt gives them much more rights). And thats right smack the new pwobwem for that city as for gays.
What are ShanKaren? There are Shan, and Karen, two completely different ethnicities; Shan are Tai people whereas Karen have more sino-tibetan origins. Anyway it's a way too complicated subject. The Red Karen or Karenni are more predominate along the western Thai/Burma border. Not sure I understand enough or the rest of your comment to know what the "pwobwem" actually is :dontknow:

I quite well remember and have a fond memory of that town before 2000. It was a city full of gay encounters everywhere. And they speak such a lovely understandable easy Thai. But that seems to also have gone down the drains. Not much of that anymore. Commercial scene dominated by those tribies-and hardly delivering. Maybe one indeed has to be a sensual Thai to be able to deliver good wares. No wonder its not very attractive to gay tourism-anymore.

Disagree entirely! Chiang Mai still is a city packed full of gays (Just go into any large shopping Mall here, or wander round Nimmanheminda Rd or Kad Rinkham in the evening, they're everywhere :8( ) As to the "Commercial scene dominated by those tribies" that maybe true for the night bazaar, but the go-go bars are 90% Shan guys. By far the biggest part of the commercial scene in Chiang Mai is massage, many more of the guys here are Thai and many gays who "deliver good wares"
:jok:

There were some notable anti-gay manifestations recently-mostly coming from the locally quite strong (after all dear leader Thaksin was from there) redshirt factions. ChMai is not a gay city! they proclaimed and thus scared away some katoeys wanting to do some demonstration or even a pink or gay day. But that need not really bother you.
That was three years ago now, and all about publicity for the red shirts and little to do with anything gay. The week before they'd protested about the flower show for some other absurd reason, it was all just seeking publicity.

One of the best sights for me -was there last nov during the run up to YiPeng=LoyKratong-the parades at night on TaPae main street with various schools etc-many half naked lads bearing the kratongs on floats-a sight to go for!You might like this slideshow (http://www.asiancoop.com/wp-content/slideshows/LoyKrathong2011Slideshow/index.html)

zinzone
March 2nd, 2012, 10:15
I have recently returned from Chiang Mai and the place is a dump. The types going there consist mainly of low life back packers looking for "cheap weed" or aged farangs who are desperate to get fucked by mountain boys.
The bars are full of bored straights who won't bend over.
Takes about 2 hours to see what CM has to offer which is very little.
The Urban Developmet Institute Foundation(Chiang Mai) notes the enormous society problems such as air and water pollution, traffic congestion, garbage problems, high rises over temples which destroy privacy and invasion of archeological sites.
Drugs, HIV and the urban poor are rife.
Do not believe the crap that is misleadingly spouted by those who have business interests in getting sucker tourists to go to CM.
Chiang Mai?= No way!

Khor tose
March 2nd, 2012, 13:09
I own no business of any kind, nor have any interest in Chiang Mai that would profit from tourist. I completely disagree with your assessment, but after reading what you had to say, I am glad you have decided to stay away. Have a nice day.

BonTong
March 2nd, 2012, 15:17
aged farangs who are desperate to get fucked
So the Farangs who go to Pattaya are only there for the views, sea air and to enjoy a cup of tea on the beach and cosy evening soirees with their peers huh :dontknow: Just counting posters on this forum there seem to be way, way more Farangs who frequent Pattaya than Chiang Mai. :idea1:

The Urban Developmet Institute Foundation(Chiang Mai) notes the enormous society problems such as air and water pollution, traffic congestion, garbage problems, high rises over temples which destroy privacy and invasion of archeological sites.
Sounds an accurate description of most other Thai cities to me.

Is this a troll or do you have some evidence to back it up? Again, your generalization could apply to most places in Thailand.

March 2nd, 2012, 15:45

Is this a troll or do you have some evidence to back it up? Again, your generalization could apply to most places in Thailand.

Most cities in the world.

:occasion9:

Neal
March 2nd, 2012, 16:27
Well I have to tell you that I have been to Chiang Mai several times and went off to see the monkey zoo, the regular zoo, the palace of the King and Queen, elephant trekking, rafting, trekking with karts bungey jumpng and a host of other activities.

So in response to Zinzone it really sounds like you have a personal problem with Chiang Mai as I personally will visit it any chance I get. I love it!!

kjun12
March 2nd, 2012, 18:11
I have recently returned from Chiang Mai and the place is a dump. The types going there consist mainly of low life back packers looking for "cheap weed" or aged farangs who are desperate to get fucked by mountain boys.!
Wow, I sure hope you recover from your illness but being a bitter and mean asshole is sometime permanent!

March 2nd, 2012, 18:33
..The types going there consist mainly of low life back packers looking for "cheap weed" or aged farangs who are desperate to get fucked by mountain boys.

Ok - now you've dealt with the SGT members, where do you get the cheap weed?

:evil4:

gaymandenmark
March 2nd, 2012, 18:50
Almost every time I am in Thailand I take a sidetrip for some days or a long weekend to Chiang Mai.
I like the laid back atmosphere and the friendly people and friendly guys.

zinzone wrote:
"I have recently returned from Chiang Mai and the place is a dump. The types going there consist mainly of low life back packers looking for "cheap weed" or aged farangs who are desperate to get fucked by mountain boys.!
The bars are full of bored straights who won't bend over.
Takes about 2 hours to see what CM has to offer which is very little."

I don't know where you have been, but first of all, are there no desperate aged farangs who wants to get fucked in other places? I would say there are lesser of them in Chiang Mai than in eg. Pattaya.
Second: I know a lot of gays in Chiang Mai, you can find/meet them anywhere, but I don't think I frequent the same bars as you do. Even in mixed bars they are easy to chat up with.
Third: If you have only used 2 hours to find out what CM offers, you have seen nothing.

Maybe there is something wrong with you own attitude.

alipatt-old
March 6th, 2012, 16:26
Being one of the aged white males in Chaing Mai
I would like to speak in favor of the area.
Having now lived here for 5 months I am still
Daily thanking providence for the chance
To live here. Regrettably I have not been
In a position to bar hop and apart from
3 or 4 trips to The House of Male I may as
Well be a monk. The area however makes
up for this. As in a song from home
A slice of heaven