PDA

View Full Version : U-turn. turn to the changing clients.

pong
February 25th, 2012, 08:26
U-turn is one of the remaining Sapan Kwai (BKK-Pradiphat rd) karaOK/hostbars. There are also still the very long standing ADAM, STAX and waterloo. And Be-High-the only low-key gogobar, still has uninvited approach from boys not even soliciting drinks or 20 bt notes. All in soi 20 off Pradiphat rd-Embassy HTL is at the end.
There is also a new kid on the block; STREET (or maybe not new-but changed direction), beside the named U-turn. (Sapan Kwai is big on name-puns, as there is also a hoStel named U-DEE and a spa/massageshop ImaSpa (to be renamed Imanspa-its currently under renovation)- there is a boutique-design HTL across the road that once started as IMM-Hotel but is now Mystic.
Why worth mentioning? Well-STREET has adapted to the steady changes tourism here in BKK makes- it now does Arab and Indian music (to sing a song along-it is karaOK after all). Sapan Kwai was always a niche-market for muslims, Malays etc. so a fair lot live there and stay there. Somehow I kinda like that music-sort of, as its soo close to Indonesian dangdut. All open 21.00-2.00 and are loads cheaper as Silom/Pratoochai bars.
There were also 3 sauna's- but Adonis2-easily the worst of the lot-is closed, unclear forever or for temporary. Farose 1 has a slidehsow about its 16 yr anniversary-and shows that it might even be older and never ever renovated-a cheap dump. And the 39 underground, across from Paolo hospital near the BigC/BTS-stop.

martin911
February 25th, 2012, 08:34
And as one of my Thai pals(colmx you know him so well !! ) would say --AND THEN ??

lexusgs
February 25th, 2012, 14:19
I once ventured to that Sauna(39 underground)

They give you a towel the size of a face flannel. Not so good when you're a pretty large guy like myself. :bounce: Defo Thai 4 Thai.

christianpfc
February 26th, 2012, 00:08
Small towels is a general problem in Thai saunas (and even Chakran has a small towel day). Now I bring my own towel when I go to a sauna in Thailand.

I went to 39 underground once, but don't remember what it was like. However for Farose 1, I made a note: do not go again!

Pong, can you explain the name-puns in Saphan Kwai venues?