View Full Version : Cash exchange kiosk asnwers

Shuee
February 23rd, 2012, 01:56
when you exchange cash only in an exchange kiosk do you actually need you passport?, what the definitive answer here or how can i check it somewhere?
Also what is your right about the condition of the cash paper notes exchange, if its dirty, ripped or been written on, can they refuse to exchange it?
Once i showed passport & the kiosk photocopied it, when they asked me again i told then they had already seen it yesterday & copied it, they said ok good we only need to see it once?
Thanks

TravellerDave
February 23rd, 2012, 02:44
No you dont need to show your passport to exchange Pounds/$/Euros etc. I've seen the clerks not wishing to take lesser known currencies and they will not take Scottish Sterling.
They have to repay mistakes so are very cautious - counting the money time after time. I think that they would not take very dirty or damaged notes.
In 6 years of visiting Pattaya I've never had a problem changing money.
I have found the exchange rate at ATM's to be rather better than at the exchange kiosks, but there is a fee for using a foreign bank card so the net result is very similar.

February 23rd, 2012, 03:27
Often they will not take banknotes that have been written on in any way - so make sure you don't take banknotes with any marks/numbers etc written on them (quite common in the UK to receive such notes)

If in BKK go to Natty Gems jewellers on Surawong Road (just next to Soi Twilight) - in my experience they always offer the best exchange rates and beat any kiosk

:occasion9:

christianpfc
February 23rd, 2012, 03:30
I have found the exchange rate at ATM's to be rather better than at the exchange kiosks, but there is a fee for using a foreign bank card so the net result is very similar.

The exchange rate at an ATM is slightly better than on a kiosk. I go to AEON ATMs where I don't have to pay the 150 Baht fee for foreign cards and I have a bank account that allows me to withdraw money abroad without fees, so there are no further costs for me. This is now my preferred method to get Thai Baht. Only for emergency cases do I carry Euro with me.

Neal
February 23rd, 2012, 06:32
Bring current bills such as in USA they sometimes have older notes with design as well as newer. Bring newer and scan the bills and as stated above do not take any bills with writing, stamps or marks on either side in any way. The higher the denomination, the more they give. So if you are bringing US Dollars then bring 100"s as appoised to 20's. I think USD 50's and 100's are the same rate.

February 26th, 2012, 05:10
I think the answer is it depends because if you go to that flash new one just near the corner of Silom and Narathiwat they do ask for your passport but if you go to there branch in KFC on Silom they dont go figure as they say.

pong
February 26th, 2012, 07:52
Varies -some do, others do not. The BIG one with the very best rates-and it is not a kiosk at all, but a busy shop/office, SuperRich here in BKK- certainly wants to see it-they make a copy (but a copy is also OK) and now also want to scribble down your HTL/adress/mobuy fone.
The RATE also varies between those places: some offer far better as banks-like SuperRich-others do not-are more for the convenience, like longer hours or place.
So it is the big challange: you need to keep eyes open, keep up your wits and train the brains- for many an impossible difficult task to complain?