View Full Version : Do U live in North Thailand or Isaan?

thrillbill
February 21st, 2012, 20:52
Are there any members on this forum that live in the "country" with their Thai bf? In a couple years when I retire from my job in Thailand, I am thinking of living in his village with him. It is 45 kilometers from a big city for the Western comforts of a movie or restaurant. I'm just looking foward in living in the country and working on the garden and house. We're in the process of planning a small house which will be "home base" on his property. When we want to travel, then we'll visit Bangkok, Pattaya, or some other city renting a place. For those who are living in the "countryside" how is it going for you? :wav:

bbf-old
February 22nd, 2012, 08:59
Goes very well. Built a home on 3 rai of longan orchard land on the edge of his home village some 60 km from Chiang Mai. He has continued to work at his job here to provide basics for his immediate family.

It's quiet, at the dead end of a soi so essentially no traffic. Immediate neighbors (2) are low maintenance and very quiet folks as well. Their major concern about me was if I made a lot of noise! No problems there.

After living here for about 2 years I find that things I need to purchase are available, quite often less expensively than in CM. Imported and more western foodstuffs aren't readily available but a trip to CM every month or so takes care of that.

We're not bar people at all so that part of living here isn't important. There are a few good restaurants in the area so we can enjoy an evening out.

Going to Bangkok, Pattaya is not in our thoughts or plans what-so-ever. But if that's your cuppa then you need to make adjustments to accommodate such places.

Dodger
February 22nd, 2012, 15:31
thrillbill...

My BF and I had a home build in Isaan (Si Saket) four years ago in his families village, although due to the current circumstances (his incarceration) we haven't seen the place for a while.

I have always loved the country and built this home with the expectations of spending about 50% of my time there when in LOS. Prior to my BF's incarceration that's exactly what we did and it worked well. There's a VIP bus line which provides a linkage between Si Saket and Pattaya for about 700 baht which is great. The village where we reside is nestled between the farm lands and the jungle, just a stones throw from the waterfalls at Khun Han which is my daily swimming hole. I love the environment with roosters crowing in the morning and the glow of the small camp fires at night when the families gather for sanook. It feels healthy to me...invigorating...natural...and always gets the blood flowing... igniting the sensitivities...sex is always better.

As much as I enjoy country living I usually find myself wanting to return to the city (PTY) after 4 or 5 weeks for the restaurants, night life and more comfortable surroundings in general. For this reason I have also secured a small apartment in PTY where I can hang my hat during these periods as well. For me, this provides just the right balance, and I will probably maintain this same lifestyle even when I'm retired one day.

thrillbill
February 25th, 2012, 15:21
(two members posting so far) Thanks for the input. I think the three of us are looking for the same thing - a quiet enviroment in the country, slow pace. I guess one reaches that point in their life after being in the rat race so long and also having been to all the bars, clubs, and other gay venues. I have know my Thai bf for 7 years. He is 43, so is very leveled headed. Not matter where we are, we enjoy each other's company - no trama drama, no craziness. After I leave my job in Thailand, I have no desire to go to North America, I just want to take care of my garden, fruit trees and go fishing with him.