PDA

View Full Version : Gay life in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Beachlover
February 20th, 2012, 19:31
Found this article on another forum... Nice insight into gay life and the rapidly-growing gay tourist segment in Cambodia.

From what I observed when I was there, gay guys are more likely to be out in Thailand than they are in Cambodia.

I think it's a fantastic little destination for gays and ridiculously cheap too.

------------------------
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... cient-city (http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/culture-lifestyle/111214/gay-allure-cambodia-s-ancient-city)

Gay allure in CambodiaтАЩs ancient city

Tourism, Buddhist tolerance and family values in Siem Reap.

SIEM REAP, Cambodia тАФ It wasnтАЩt so long ago that gay life throughout Cambodia played out under a tree after nightfall. Or perhaps in the darkest corner of a public poolтАЩs changing room.

In much of the country, it still does. тАЬMaybe itтАЩs by the river, maybe itтАЩs in the park,тАЭ said Sopheara You, who is 38, Cambodian and openly gay. тАЬEveryone knows the secret places.тАЭ

But in Siem Reap, the fastest-growing city in this hardscrabble kingdom, the secret is out.

Once a dingy outpost, the town has built cachet as an emerging travel hot spot for gay men. And the influx of a Western-style gay scene, replete with cocktail bars and all-male bathhouses, is beginning to nudge the local gay scene out of the shadows of a society where Buddhist open-mindedness is tempered by societal concerns about marriage and reproduction.

Siem ReapтАЩs appeal to gays and straights alike is its proximity to Angkor Wat, a 12th-century temple complex and jewel of the once-mighty Khmer empire. Jungled over for centuries, and more recently unreachable thanks to the murderous Khmer Rogue regime, the temples finally regained their mass tourist appeal in the late 1990s.The first wave were backpackers with an appetite for rough travel. Then, with the waters tested, a more pedestrian breed of traveler descended on Cambodia.

In the early 2000s, a gay American hotelier named Martin Dishman did the math. тАЬI looked at the arrivals report,тАЭ he said. тАЬThere were 1.1 million visitors to Cambodia and no gay bars.тАЭ So in 2004, he opened the countryтАЩs first, Linga Bar, in Siem Reap.

Seven years later, with roughly 1 million annual tourists to Siem Reap alone, the 170,000-population city has given rise to roughly 20 gay-themed hotels, bars and saunas...

Read the rest: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... cient-city (http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/culture-lifestyle/111214/gay-allure-cambodia-s-ancient-city)
------------------------

The end of the article discusses the sleazier side to gay life in Siem Reap and how it's unlikely to slide into what some areas of Thailand have descended into.

February 26th, 2012, 05:17
I guess the cambodians wont sell there grandmother like the thais will whatever happend to kquill writing about cambodia has the new owner pissed him off too like so many hear before?

kittyboy
March 14th, 2012, 15:19
I just got back from a 5 day trip to PP.
As always it depends on what you want and what you are looking for so these are just my observations.
I visited PP about 10 years ago and I liked the rundown relaxed lifestyle there.
As I recall many of the streets were barely paved and at night there were few lights.

The city is still somewhat rundown but the roads are paved and there are many more lights at night. The tourist areas are busy and there is a much more festive feeling to PP than 10 years ago. However, I always felt like I was being taken advantage of by the locals. Of course it happens in thailand but the cambodians seem a bit more sullen. In thailand I have often asked the guesthouse owner to help me out with taxis etc.. and generally felt I was taken care of in a positive sense. In PP I asked the guesthouse owner to arrange a taxi and he quoted me a price 3 times the going rate....Hmmmm

Gay nightlife however is still pretty bleak. I went to the Blue Chili bar and the Rainbow bar which are about 2 blocks from each other. The bars were slow but I enjoyed my time sitting with my travel companion and chatting up the few bar boys that were working.

I stayed at a guesthouse across from Rainbow Bar and it was not a great experience. I took one of the bar boys out to the movies the day before I left and when we got back we went to my room to relax. The guesthouse workers were rude and began to make laughing comments toward me and my bar boy friend. I confronted one of the workers and basically told him to go fuck himself...ending comments and putting a chill in the air before my departure.

I do not know if that would be a typical story in PP but next time I go to PP I will stay at an advertised gay friendly guesthouse. In general I like the slow pace of PP and will go again but it is not a place to go if you are looking for lots of bar boys to off.

March 15th, 2012, 03:16
In Thailand they larf at gays behind your back in Cambodia they larf at gays to your face same same.

Beachlover
March 15th, 2012, 23:33
Interesting observations, Kitty...

Gay nightlife however is still pretty bleak. I went to the Blue Chili bar and the Rainbow bar which are about 2 blocks from each other. The bars were slow but I enjoyed my time sitting with my travel companion and chatting up the few bar boys that were working.
Don't know about bleak but I agree it's certainly not Bangkok, Singapore, KL or Hong Kong.

But that's to be expected as PP is a much smaller city. Combine that with the MUCH lower acceptance of gays that Cambodians have compared to Thais and you can't expect there to be a massive amount of gay nightlife.

There is plenty of local gay nightlife easily accessible to fly in fly out visitors though...

I met a few friendly and ordinary gay Cambodians at Blue Chilli on a Saturday night. They were educated and generally doing ok. Once you get chatting to one of them, you get introduced to a whole bunch.

I've also met a few gay guys in the gay section of Heart of Darkness nightclub... really easy to chat up gay locals here, like DJ Station in Bangkok.

kittyboy
March 18th, 2012, 15:58
Interesting observations, Kitty...

Don't know about bleak but I agree it's certainly not Bangkok, Singapore, KL or Hong Kong.
But that's to be expected as PP is a much smaller city. Combine that with the MUCH lower acceptance of gays that Cambodians have compared to Thais and you can't expect there to be a massive amount of gay nightlife.
There is plenty of local gay nightlife easily accessible to fly in fly out visitors though...
I met a few friendly and ordinary gay Cambodians at Blue Chilli on a Saturday night. They were educated and generally doing ok. Once you get chatting to one of them, you get introduced to a whole bunch.
I've also met a few gay guys in the gay section of Heart of Darkness nightclub... really easy to chat up gay locals here, like DJ Station in Bangkok.
Well BL your online persona has you as young, attractive, rich and fabulous so I guess you just have it all.

I on the other hand am older, stout (not fat I have big bones and I am stout god dammit), well off but not rich and absolutely past my fabulous stage. I pay for sex (but sometimes get it for free...god I love the chinese boys who find stout attractive) so I will stick with my description of gay life in cambodia. Even the Cambodians I talked to indicated gay life was marginal. One young man I chatted up summed up gay life as the following: "Gay life Cambodia no good. Thailand..very good..much free..here no free." Bleak I think is a good description for both locals and visitors. Though I did enjoy my trip.

Beachlover
August 19th, 2012, 23:24
I don't disagree that Bangkok and other bigger Asian cities have better gay nightlife.

But I don't think PP's gay nightlife is bleak compared to what I would expect from a city of it's size. I really liked the fact that you could go out, dance and meet gay locals at a nightclub (Heart of Darkness) 7 nights a week rather than only on weekends. I can't even do that in Singapore for example, a city 3-4 times the size of PP.