PDA

View Full Version : A house we are building near Surin ,North Easth Thailand..

alanthebuilder
February 18th, 2012, 07:05
Here is a house near Surin about two months into the build 3 beds 3 baths .. price around 3 mill.

thrillbill
February 18th, 2012, 08:02
3 million for this size of house in Surin seems to be a bit pricey. I hope u did your homework.

luvthai-2
February 18th, 2012, 08:27
Very very nice...

markie1
February 18th, 2012, 11:46
3 million for this size of house in Surin seems to be a bit pricey. I hope u did your homework.
There maybe a big plot of land with it .

Neal
February 19th, 2012, 08:56
Very nice and thanks for the pics!

cdnmatt
February 19th, 2012, 09:26

If he can deliver the quality, craftmanship, assurances he claims, I think 3 million is quite reasonable.

That's $100k for a brand new house. Out in Canada, say downtown Vancouver or Toronto, I'm looking at about $480k for a small 1bdrm condo. Not to mention the condos feeds will be another probably at least $20k/year.

This is another thing I enjoy about Thailand. It's actually realistic. I simply don't do credit or debt, and pay for everything in cash. Years ago the only exception would have been a mortgage, because as a general rule of thumb, real estate is an appreciating asset. As long as it appreciated more than the interest I was paying the bank, I would have been happy. However, that general rule of thumb went out the window years ago, so no chance I'll ever sign a mortgage now.

So I'm stuck paying cash if I ever want to own a house. Now, say 5 million ($160k) is reasonable, and something I can quite easily achieve. Whereas in Canada, that same house is going to cost me probably at least $600k - $2 mil, and that's simply unrealistic for me at least.

stevehadders
February 19th, 2012, 23:20
Looks great!What a place to retire to....keep on working Alan I have 25 years to go...

alanthebuilder
February 20th, 2012, 04:31
Thanks guys ,I will take more pics and post latter today .

Beachlover
February 20th, 2012, 20:20
This is another thing I enjoy about Thailand. It's actually realistic. I simply don't do credit or debt, and pay for everything in cash. Years ago the only exception would have been a mortgage, because as a general rule of thumb, real estate is an appreciating asset. As long as it appreciated more than the interest I was paying the bank, I would have been happy. However, that general rule of thumb went out the window years ago, so no chance I'll ever sign a mortgage now.

So I'm stuck paying cash if I ever want to own a house. Now, say 5 million ($160k) is reasonable, and something I can quite easily achieve. Whereas in Canada, that same house is going to cost me probably at least $600k - $2 mil, and that's simply unrealistic for me at least.
Ah, Matt... if you're defining "realistic" as in a place where you can easily afford to pay for a house in full with cash, then Thailand is only "realistic" for you and other people earning Western-country level incomes there.

For most Thais, it's probably as realistic as buying a home in Canada is for you.

Remember that while you have a financial advantage as someone earning a Western income while living in Thailand, you also have a second advantage, being able to invest your money in the West or in the more stable and higher-priced Asian cities (I'm thinking Singapore). Might be good for your long-term prosperity (passive income you don't have to work for) to make use of the second advantage too.

If you're against going into debt to buy property, then you're also forgoing the financial leverage that investing in property with the bank's money gives you. Yes, I know that leverage goes both ways (can be catastrophic if market goes down sharply) but that's what sound investment decision making is there to prevent. Personally, I'm all for borrowing to invest in property as long as you know what you're doing and are not too highly leveraged.

As for affordability in the West, I don't know about Canada but Sydney is now ranked seventh most expensive city in the world to live! I agree... it ain't cheap here.
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/abo ... 1t3jl.html (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/about-town/think-sydney-is-expensive-youre-right-20120214-1t3jl.html)

bbf-old
February 21st, 2012, 08:27
No reflective foil under the roofing tiles.
No ventilation of the attic space.
No insulating of the ceiling that can be seen.

Sure glad I don't have to live in and try to cool that oven!

alanthebuilder
February 21st, 2012, 17:00
No reflective foil under the roofing tiles.
No ventilation of the attic space.
No insulating of the ceiling that can be seen.

Sure glad I don't have to live in and try to cool that oven!

C-pac monier tiles breath and inside the roof space it is light and airy ,adding "reflective" foil turns the airy light roof space into a dark airtight sweat box , the client who we are building for is an "engineer" told us do not add this "reflective" foil . Also what can it reflect "under" the tiles ? NOTHING at at !if it was on top of the tiles it could reflect the suns rays ,but under the tile I don't think so ,plus it falls apart after a few years !
We do use it if the client wants it but with these curvy C-Pac Monier tiles it makes no sense at all to do so.
There is also lots of ventilation and airflow above the fascia boards that's why we add a plastic bird stopper as there is a 25mm gap at ever 15 cm all the way around the house , so lots of air flow and breeze .
The walls are Q-Con Super insulating blocks ,with bagged insulating stucco (render) ,so all in it will be cooler than most houses .

Thanks for you input guys :happy7:

bbf-old
February 22nd, 2012, 08:40
Infrared radiation (also known as heat) is not reflected back into the tiles? Best be telling C-PAC that it's not so as they're promoting the use of it in their roofing systems. I've used it repeatedly under roofing tiles and sheets... just step under the area with the reflective foil and one can instantly tell the difference.

Hot air rises in case you missed that point in basic physics. You may have all of the gap with bird stoppers etc around the fascia but that bubble of hot air trapped in the attic has no where to go unless you vent it UP and out of the attic space. The trapped heat also radiates in all directions so the ceiling is a big radiator down into the room below unless it is insulated with at least 6" of fiberglass insulation. C-PAC sells a ventilating ridge tile system which works fairly well but is not adequate for complete ventilation of the attic space.

Q-Con block is fine for exterior walls but should be combined with an air gap and red brick walls on the inside. If your client ever wants to hang anything from the Q-Can he will soon find out how structurally weak it is.

My knowledge is from information I have gathered from many sources and, most importantly, how I have had my home built. What might be acceptable and works in the UK is not necessarily going to be right in the tropics.

Neal
February 22nd, 2012, 08:56
I know for nothing about building so if this is comment/question is stupid, please be gentle. I remember when I was a youth of about 10 or 12, the family home had a large attic fan of some type that when we threw a switch it sucked all the hot ir out of the attic. Is that an option here in Thailand? :idea1:

bbf-old
February 22nd, 2012, 09:02
I know for nothing about building so if this is comment/question is stupid, please be gentle. I remember when I was a youth of about 10 or 12, the family home had a large attic fan of some type that when we threw a switch it sucked all the hot ir out of the attic. Is that an option here in Thailand? :idea1:
Surely they're available somewhere... but why pay for electricity when nature can take its course by letting the hot air have a place to escape?

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask... Thanks for asking!

alanthebuilder
February 22nd, 2012, 15:55
Infrared radiation (also known as heat) is not reflected back into the tiles? Best be telling C-PAC that it's not so as they're promoting the use of it in their roofing systems. I've used it repeatedly under roofing tiles and sheets... just step under the area with the reflective foil and one can instantly tell the difference.

Hot air rises in case you missed that point in basic physics. You may have all of the gap with bird stoppers etc around the fascia but that bubble of hot air trapped in the attic has no where to go unless you vent it UP and out of the attic space. The trapped heat also radiates in all directions so the ceiling is a big radiator down into the room below unless it is insulated with at least 6" of fiberglass insulation. C-PAC sells a ventilating ridge tile system which works fairly well but is not adequate for complete ventilation of the attic space.

Q-Con block is fine for exterior walls but should be combined with an air gap and red brick walls on the inside. If your client ever wants to hang anything from the Q-Can he will soon find out how structurally weak it is.

My knowledge is from information I have gathered from many sources and, most importantly, how I have had my home built. What might be acceptable and works in the UK is not necessarily going to be right in the tropics.

Hot air rises in case you missed that point in basic physics ,, exactly so why trap the hot air (this is my point) with foil , let the roof breath the with Cpak tiles the roof space is light ,you can see ! We have been using Q-Con blocks in Thailand for years as in Germany for heat reasons ,single skin is fine however we do ask the client on EVERY house would you like a double skin ,the Q-Con blockhttp://www.qcon.co.th is great for getting a fix and hanging curtains pictures and so on .Any way here are a few more pictures ,thanks for the input Negative or otherwise always welcome .But if I was after confrontation I would be on Teak door- lol lol ..

alanthebuilder
February 22nd, 2012, 16:07
Not a silly question ,but this here is a roof space not an attic ,the hot air in you attic most prob got blown into the roof space unless it was a wall vent and then it would of got blown to the outside of the house .However hot air does rise and with these tiles the hot air comes in above the fascia boards and seeps out through the roof tiles lots of ventilation and breeze . :happy7:

bbf-old
February 23rd, 2012, 07:50
"Hot air rises in case you missed that point in basic physics ,, exactly so why trap the hot air (this is my point) with foil , let the roof breath the with Cpak tiles the roof space is light ,you can see ! We have been using Q-Con blocks in Thailand for years as in Germany for heat reasons ,single skin is fine however we do ask the client on EVERY house would you like a double skin ,the Q-Con blockhttp://www.qcon.co.th" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is great for getting a fix and hanging curtains pictures and so on .Any way here are a few more pictures ,thanks for the input Negative or otherwise always welcome .But if I was after confrontation I would be on Teak door- lol lol .."

If the C-PAC tiles are so leaky for all of that hot air to escape... better watch out when the rains come pouring down. Seems that you need to have a long chat with some of their experts to better understand some of their excellent systems. The foil is NOT sealing off any of the tiles - it is there to reflect infra-red radiation, commonly known as radiant heat.

I note that you also do not mention the use of ceiling insulation. That must mean that you are also not installing such a necessary item?

alanthebuilder
February 23rd, 2012, 09:26
"Hot air rises in case you missed that point in basic physics ,, exactly so why trap the hot air (this is my point) with foil , let the roof breath the with Cpak tiles the roof space is light ,you can see ! We have been using Q-Con blocks in Thailand for years as in Germany for heat reasons ,single skin is fine however we do ask the client on EVERY house would you like a double skin ,the Q-Con blockhttp://www.qcon.co.th" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is great for getting a fix and hanging curtains pictures and so on .Any way here are a few more pictures ,thanks for the input Negative or otherwise always welcome .But if I was after confrontation I would be on Teak door- lol lol .."

If the C-PAC tiles are so leaky for all of that hot air to escape... better watch out when the rains come pouring down. Seems that you need to have a long chat with some of their experts to better understand some of their excellent systems. The foil is NOT sealing off any of the tiles - it is there to reflect infra-red radiation, commonly known as radiant heat.

I note that you also do not mention the use of ceiling insulation. That must mean that you are also not installing such a necessary item?

If you don't care for reasoned comments and are unable to learn from those comments perhaps you need to stop posting self-serving and unpaid advertising in the forum. No confrontation intended but if you take it that way it is your problem.
C-pac monier are great never leak at all , brilliant tile , used them for years ,I do pay for advertising thanks ....I am gay friendly , Seems to me you are straight unfriendly ,never mind cant please them all !

bbf-old
February 23rd, 2012, 14:44
More than a bit ouchy there aren't you? I've reviewed my posts and can find nothing about being unfriendly to anyone regarding their sexual identities... I was having a bit of wonder about you but I really didn't and don't care.

I question your building techniques as to giving your clients the best ways of keeping a cooler home. I guess that's straight unfriendly...

Surely hope that our paths do not cross during your visit to the North... but do have fun and enjoy yourselves while you are in the area. Am I being unfriendly for saying that?

alanthebuilder
February 23rd, 2012, 16:48
Surely hope that our paths do not cross during your visit to the North ------ quote ---

If they did I think you would have a pleasant surprise ,Im a very easy going person ,I treat everyone with the same respect Rich man poor man beggar thief . I have no hang ups whatever national- Black white yellow red , or whatever else . Im generally chilled and very social like good food , ambient surroundings and having fun ! :happy7: , if we did meet I would be happy to but you a beer --- Thats me mate ...

Ron-Heng Vancouver
February 24th, 2012, 06:23
Matt and others, Vancouver was just named #2 most expensive city in the world for housing, followed by the usual suspects.
Then vancouver was named #1 most expensive city in North America for non-housing expenses.
My only thought today looking at Thai real estate is that some of the homes are about the same pricing as in US, say FL or AZ.
I admit the Thai houses are more sexy and have more.

Beachlover
February 25th, 2012, 07:00
For the amount you would pay for something pretty average in Vancouver or Sydney, say $800k, you could get something REALLY sexy in Bangkok... like a one of the new developments on Rajadamri Rd overlooking the Sports Club.

alanthebuilder
February 25th, 2012, 14:57
For the amount you would pay for something pretty average in Vancouver or Sydney, say $800k, you could get something REALLY sexy in Bangkok... like a one of the new developments on Rajadamri Rd overlooking the Sports Club.

3 mill in ┬г is 60.000 in the UK you cant buy anything at all for this nothing .

Beachlover
February 25th, 2012, 15:27
I think the last two posts were talking about real estate prices where as you're talking about construction costs...

60k pounds (the amount you say this place cost to build) equals around AUD$90k...

I think, in Australia, you wouldn't get away with building something of that scale for less than $250k... possibly up to $400k once landscaping, fittings and appliances are factored in. So yeah, at $90k, building a house in Thailand is quite cheap compared to in the UK or Australia.

thrillbill
February 25th, 2012, 15:28
Yes, good quality is worth the extra baht. Thanks for the pics since I am planning to build a smaller house this summer.

alanthebuilder
March 3rd, 2012, 05:59
Just a few picks , we are building a small fish pond water feature also .

Have a great Sunday you all !

March 3rd, 2012, 06:03

Ah, Matt... if you're defining "realistic" as in a place where you can easily afford to pay for a house in full with cash, then Thailand is only "realistic" for you and other people earning Western-country level incomes there.

For most Thais, it's probably as realistic as buying a home in Canada is for you.

Remember that while you have a financial advantage as someone earning a Western income while living in Thailand, you also have a second advantage, being able to invest your money in the West or in the more stable and higher-priced Asian cities (I'm thinking Singapore). Might be good for your long-term prosperity (passive income you don't have to work for) to make use of the second advantage too.

If you're against going into debt to buy property, then you're also forgoing the financial leverage that investing in property with the bank's money gives you. Yes, I know that leverage goes both ways (can be catastrophic if market goes down sharply) but that's what sound investment decision making is there to prevent. Personally, I'm all for borrowing to invest in property as long as you know what you're doing and are not too highly leveraged.

As for affordability in the West, I don't know about Canada but Sydney is now ranked seventh most expensive city in the world to live! I agree... it ain't cheap here.
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/abo ... 1t3jl.html (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/about-town/think-sydney-is-expensive-youre-right-20120214-1t3jl.html)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as someone who claims to rent a flat beachy what gives you the right to advise other people to *buy* property with borrowed money ?

thrillbill
March 3rd, 2012, 07:25
It looks like everything is going smoothly. When you have time, explain how the septic tank system is set up...I guess one needs two "holders".... I do see a big flaw in the design and the designer/architect should have seen it living in Thailand. In the front you have two "wings"/rooms going out on each side of the entrance. When it rains, the rain will run over the eaves onto the entrance veranda because of the two run offs. Just a thought.

alanthebuilder
March 3rd, 2012, 11:12
It looks like everything is going smoothly. When you have time, explain how the septic tank system is set up...I guess one needs two "holders".... I do see a big flaw in the design and the designer/architect should have seen it living in Thailand. In the front you have two "wings"/rooms going out on each side of the entrance. When it rains, the rain will run over the eaves onto the entrance veranda because of the two run offs. Just a thought.
Not at all mate , once you see the complete house you will understand ,there will be gutters all the way around the house ,but the water future will feed off some of this rain water and it will refresh the pond water ,none of any rain will fall on the balconies .I will take pics at a better angle next time "my fault" ... Thanks guys ...

krobbie
March 10th, 2012, 07:44
Alan,
Looking forward to more pics when finalised. Whatever the debate about the roofing and insulation, it's just about the sort of thing I would love. I can never understand why people have those flower or other motifs on the bathroom / kitchen tiles. They are in and out of fashion in a heartbeat. Just the bsic clolour palette never dates.

Cheers and good luck with your business although you look like you may not need it much. You seem pretty busy.

krobbie.

yaraboy
March 10th, 2012, 08:13
I have been involved in the construction of 2 houses in Vientiane and from what I see Alan is a good builder. His price is reasonable,,,,,,but that assumes cheap land costs which is not the case in better areas of Vientiane now. I note the tiles in the kitchen and I lament the ugliness of tiles available. I had to bring some in from Mexico.

alanthebuilder
March 10th, 2012, 09:49
Here are a few more pics , , more pics soon guys .

Hope you all have a great weekend - Alan... :happy7:

alanthebuilder
March 10th, 2012, 09:51
This will be a fish pond with a water fountain .

July 23rd, 2012, 13:47
You guys are doing pretty well with the construction and maintenance of your new house. I was wondering if anyone can tell me here about the ritual cultures for non Asian people. What about the property prices, lately thinking about buying some land.