PDA

View Full Version : Solid Bar

Sooty
February 15th, 2012, 16:07
Can anyone in Bangkok confirm that Solid Bar off Silom 6 is closed?

pong
February 16th, 2012, 07:32
No-that means it should be open. Not seen any report it is closed.
1.option 1-maybe confuse with the place nextdoor-that opens and closes at alarming regularity-but its mainly a very late night spot
2.option 2-WHAT time did you pass by-those bars only open at 21.00
But then in general it is not a great loss that bars close or new open-there will always be some new one round the corner or so. Mostly these are sentimental old memories as ''I had such a lovely time with a lovely boy from there''=also fully interchangeable for a next one, Just get over it-next boy will also do his best to get you over that stumble.

NickysGayPattaya
February 16th, 2012, 08:01
Yesterday, I got the following from a contact in Bangkok. I've not personally confirmed it, but the contact is reliable.
"Solid has closed under the current management and Khun Wirat and his boys have moved to an outside beer bar in front of Ocean boys in Soi Twilight.
News has it that Solid has been taken over by The Issan Bar next door, whixch it self has only recently opened-they have live Issan music and singers every night. This is on the site of Hotmale Disco.
Solid itself will remain a go-go and re-open almost immediatley.
The Greek Resaurant -Souvlakii in Soi4, just before Telephone has closed, but will re-open shortly as a small Gay Bar run by an Irishman and his boyfriend.
There is a new host bar just off suriwong rd, i. The other side of the street to Twilight before Patpong. It is called Heartbeat. Very nicely decorated and some very sexy Coyote Dancers. "

We don't usually publish things till we check them, but you asked .....

In return if anyone has any photos of "heartbeat" could they let me know by pm please?

pong
February 28th, 2012, 08:15
Yup-=thats most of it. Rent was to be doubled and Solid saw no way to cough that up and decided to split. Again one of BKks long standing bars going down the drains in that area (though it had many other names before it became solidhard). What should that mean for those other long standing bars in that filthy soi?
Heartbeat is said to have coyotedancers (thus not that bored shuffling that seems to hold for gogo nowadays), an Isany twist (how innovative) and drinks at 200 bt and no special shows. in soi Wall Street. Do not know who owns what and what all the bisnis interests are.

newalaan
February 28th, 2012, 19:35
Rent was to be doubled and Solid saw no way to cough that up and decided to split. Not to be doubled but increased considerably from the current Bt30,000 per month. The Chinese owner of the Solid property saw an opportunity when he re-let the property next door to the Solid building for a higher than previous rent which was easily accepted by the new bar business owner, so he decided to get an increase out of the Solid building one way or another, either from the Solid Bar owner or the bar next door 'expanding' or a new business owner looking to open up.

So ten years of being paid every month without fail, even through the Red Shirt and flooding problems which Solid had many days of not being able to trade, the Chinese building owner always saw his rent from the Solid boss. Not one hint of loyalty to an excellent tennant. The Chinese owner will be very,very lucky to get another 10 years of regular rent without at least some, if not many months of non-rent in between business closures, ideas for businesses which last 3 months etc..etc...

A good example of buiding owner greed which can back-fire is Blue House massage in Soi Day/night. About two years ago (maybe more?) Blue House owner Ta who had paid his rent 'on the dot' for years and years (from memory around the Bt30,000 per month mark as Solid), only to be presented with a huge rent increase. Ta decided that it would be a good time to 'call it a day' in the massage business as he was a professional Issan Show singer in demand in Bkk and Issan. He sold the fixtures/fittings to his former mamasan/assistant and his Farnag friend who opened a new massage business in the single unit next door to the old Blue House double unit, and has been successfully operating to this day. And the old Blue House building next door? EMPTY since the day Ta left, not one baht in rent, so about Bt360,000 lost per year in rent alone and STILL up for sale.

I think Wirat might actually do better in Soi Twilight at Ocean Beerbar, as this end of the soi has been very busy recently as Scorpion Beer bar has been doing very well in attracting a regular trade. On Friday last he even had an acoustic guitarist/singer entertaining from 11pm to a full house. First time I have ever seen any bar with a full house for years at that end of the soi. Both bars have nice looking guys as waiters for 'offs' Scorpion having man-boy/men types and Ocean more gay femme-ish/mix man-boy as Solid did.

Sad to see Solid go, as it was a great alternative to the Soi Twilight agogos for years, however the last 2-3 years has seen the Soi 6 area very quiet compared to previous years, it will be interesting to see just how long the Chinese building owner sees his monthly rent.

martin911
February 28th, 2012, 22:35
Yes Newalaan -- Blue house is a very good example of the owners greed -- i only passed there last nite and a old memory flickered into mind !!

My ex -BF was a little pissed off when Blue House moved the short distance from the original home !!

Back then we lived in Mosaik ( Which is directly opposite the BH building ) and as the norm(for there anyway ) the boys that worked the massage act lived in the premises --- so it ment that the top floor room in Blue was directly in our view from our small mosaik balcony -

I rem coming home one evening to find(on our balcony) a highly excited N kneeling down with his head stuck in the tall shrub peeking across at the Blue H top floor room !!!
Yup the 2 boys (co workers in blue ) were going at it full blast (with their window shades fully open)--mabye to relieve the tension/stress/boredom from a long day hanging around the front of Blue H all day !!!!

So for a few nites in the week we sometimes got a little peek what the thai boys get upto when not working --it gave us a few ideas of our own lol

But when they moved to new premises we no longer had the view that we sometimes used to enjoy -- the guys in the Mosaik B building got that !!

And as i noticed last nite --the old Blue building is as it was 2 odd years ago --empty !!!!---
Many a fun time i had within those walls also ( this was before my bfs time ,i never went inside when i lived in Mosaik -too close to home :laughing3: )

I rem getting one of those soapy wet massages one time -- but me and the guy kept sliding off of the inflatable bed that was used !!!!! fun tho !!

Anywhere in Pattaya doing that "style " massage ????

ceejay
February 29th, 2012, 01:13
What a pity. I always found that Solid was place you could drop in for a drink - sometimes just that, sometimes not. If it was one of the nights when it was just a drink, then I might be asked if I wanted to take a boy off - and if I said no, then the answer was always "Maybe we see you tomorrow, then sir". That approach actually works a lot better for me than having some mamasan sticking her silicons into my face and begging for a drink, an off, a tip or whatever. I hope they do well in the beer bar, and they they are still there when I visit in May.

SlaveDriver
March 1st, 2012, 00:32
Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me exactly where this new beer bar is located down the Soi?

Where is the Ocean Breez Beer Bar is located

Is this guy who was famous at the Solid Bar Por now working at the Beer Bar?

Also just heard that BB Group has started a GYM and Sauna? Where is it located and any feedback?

How is Classic Boys and Hotmale Bars are doing?

:party

neddy3
March 1st, 2012, 09:59
Yes, a pity about Solid.

To me, it has been a delightful alternative to the bars of Soi Twilight. Laid back, friendly, cheaper, nice boys.
The only place I would consider looking for a boy, over the last few years.

I went recently (2 weeks?), and found it had changed, with very fem boys (not many), and a cringe-inducing mamasan.

Glad to know that Wirat and some of the boys have a new home, and wish them well there.

BTW, on the same night, I went to try Heartbeat.
Now it was a Monday.
But Heartbeat was only karaoke that night. Did not get further than the front door.

pong
March 1st, 2012, 14:42
Hi Guys
1.Can anyone tell me exactly where this new beer bar is located down the Soi?
2.Where is the Ocean Breez Beer Bar is located
3.Is this guy who was famous at the Solid Bar Por now working at the Beer Bar?

@1-that soi is sooo short-open eyes and look. as said: closer to Balls/Classic as to hotmale. It is about the only one open-air barbeer into the soi-and not in a building. And then that 12-15 mtrs is making BKk about world-fame for its ''gay'' district. Or-maps in nickysgaybangkok.
@2. In fact I read (not heard) that shortly after Ocean and scorpions merged. and are now 1-trading as Scorpion. Check yourself-I merely come 1/time month overthere-if at all.
@3.thats very hard to answer if you are not more specific. SOME of the former Solid boys went to Scorpion-others went to other bars-notabley also the new Heartbeat in soi Wallstreet-across from soi Hotmale.

March 1st, 2012, 16:21
BKK in not unique in having ONE street comprising the main gay bar area.

Manchester UK has much the same (Canal Street), as has Berlin (Eisenacher Stra├Яe) - although a drink in either of those places is cheaper than in Soi Twilight.

Note that I am not drawing comparisons with the other "delights" which BKK offers, only the fact that the main gay bar area is confined to one street.

:occasion9:

March 2nd, 2012, 13:14
BKK in not unique in having ONE street comprising the main gay bar area.

Manchester UK has much the same (Canal Street), as has Berlin (Eisenacher Stra├Яe) - although a drink in either of those places is cheaper than in Soi Twilight.

Note that I am not drawing comparisons with the other "delights" which BKK offers, only the fact that the main gay bar area is confined to one street.

I would have thought that Bangkok's "main gay bar area" is Silom Soi 2 or Silom Soi 4 if you are comparing to Canal Street or Eisenacher Stra├Яe.
However it depends on your definition of what being 'gay' is all about! If your raison dтАЩ├кtre is to pay for sex with a myriad rent boys then Soi Twilight is the place for you. If you want to socialize, meet friends, consort with peers, drink, dine, dance, sing, watch a show, pick up a one night stand or meet a prospective partner then the Silom Sois are more appropriate. Horses for courses!

March 2nd, 2012, 15:11
"Mary, Mary quite contrary....."

Soi Twilight is the street with most gay bars (by a long way), therefore most people would regard it as the main gay area rather than Silom Soi 2 or 4

No doubt you'll argue over the definition of a "gay bar" next.

:dontknow:

March 2nd, 2012, 19:12
There may be more half empty, overpriced, boring gay gogo bars in Soi Twilight but you should check where the punters go.
Silom Soi 2 and Soi 4 win hands down on customer numbers and value for money. :love4:

bkkguy
March 2nd, 2012, 19:20
"Mary, Mary quite contrary....."

Soi Twilight is the street with most gay bars (by a long way), therefore most people would regard it as the main gay area rather than Silom Soi 2 or 4

No doubt you'll argue over the definition of a "gay bar" next.

The Canal Street web site (http://www.canal-st.co.uk) lists 26 venues in the Canal St "area" - Canal St, Richmond St, Bloom St, Whitworth St - about the same number of venues you would find in Silom Soi 2, Soi 2/1 and Soi 4

None of the listed venues on the Canal St site seem to be commercial sex venues, so if you exclude the go-go bars, host bars and massages in Soi Twilight how many venues do you have left? 2? 3?

so what does constitute a "gay bar" if you want to compare Manchester to Bangkok?

and if you want to compare where "locals" go in Manchester to where "locals" go in Bangkok you probably should be considering the 15 venues in the Lamsari area rather than Twilight or Silom!

bkkguy

March 2nd, 2012, 20:51
Good to see Roger has conceded the point about which Soi has the most gay bars, and is now commenting on "customer service and value for money" instead of numbers. Roger, you may well be correct on that, but that wasn't what I posted on.

Along comes bkkguy to emerge as the predicted person (see previous post) who wants to argue about the definition of a "gay bar" - with an utterly ludicrous suggestion that the gogo bars ought not to count as "a gay bar". Maybe he would classify them as a laundrette or a hairdressers?

March 2nd, 2012, 22:10
Good to see Roger has conceded the point about which Soi has the most gay bars, and is now commenting on "customer service and value for money" instead of numbers. Roger, you may well be correct on that, but that wasn't what I posted on.

A feeble attempt at twisting my words. I wrote:

There may be more half empty, overpriced, boring gay gogo bars in Soi Twilight but you should check where the punters go.
Silom Soi 2 and Soi 4 win hands down on customer numbers and value for money.

Customer numbers not customer service.

My point is that there may be more buildings advertising themselves as gay venues in Soi Twilight but there are more customers in Silom Soi 2 or Silom Soi 4 any night of the week. This means that the main "gay bar area" for Bangkok (based on people rather than real-estate) is not Soi Twilight.

:3some:

March 3rd, 2012, 01:30
Good to see Roger has conceded the point about which Soi has the most gay bars...

A feeble attempt at twisting my words. I wrote:

There may be more half empty, overpriced, boring gay gogo bars in Soi Twilight ..

My point is that there may be more buildings advertising themselves as gay venues in Soi Twilight ...

I see no twisting my dear - you have conceded the point about where the most gay venues are, not once but twice!

However I do plead guilty to misreading your reference to "customer numbers" as "customer service". My bad.
Having said that, you are making an assertion on customer numbers which you cannot possibly prove - it is only your opinion that there are more customers frequenting other areas than frequenting Soi Twilight. I find that hard to believe.
I'm informed that a poster the other day told us that when he went into Dream Boys there were c.300 punters inside that one venue alone - doesn't sound "half-empty" to me :dontknow:

Maybe someone will start a poll on which are of BKK is the main gay area - where's the Wombat when you need him :evil4:

March 3rd, 2012, 01:40
you beat me to it scotty ... how on earth can you compare how many people are in what venues when they are all behind closed doors ... or maybe roger was commenting on the people he saw sitting outside on the teraces of the beer bars .... in which case soi 4 wins every time !

March 3rd, 2012, 02:53
you beat me to it scotty ... how on earth can you compare how many people are in what venues when they are all behind closed doors ... or maybe roger was commenting on the people he saw sitting outside on the teraces of the beer bars .... in which case soi 4 wins every time !

I'm sure it would - but, as you say, nobody sits outside a gogo bar!! (except DaBoss!) :evil4:

Neal
March 3rd, 2012, 03:37
How in the world can you discard go go bars, host bars, and stuff like that. As far as me sitting outside a go go bar, well when in Bangkok I sit outside an open beer bar with a terrace. I am sorry that the property ADJOINS a go go bar but I sit outside the beer bar. Poof you're gone!

March 3rd, 2012, 03:40
.. Poof you're gone!

We need all the Poofs we can get

danny99
March 3rd, 2012, 13:02
I will also miss SOLID, as I have missed TOP MAN. In both cases it was possible to just drop in for a drink, maybe chat with a boy [and a hand here or there] leaving him a tip well planted in his briefs. A switch off place where you did not have to perform evefry tiime, no hassle. I have taken boys out of there maybe half a dozen times and never a problem, although the upstairs lounge area was a bit too much in your face for me and I did not enjoy the experience [may have been better if the farang on the next lounge had been a spunky young teen].

But most of all I miss the gogo bar that was once at the bottom of Soi 4, think it was called Young Man or something similar, from the 70's. Now that was a fun place with zero hassles.

newalaan
March 5th, 2012, 03:09
There may be more half empty, overpriced, boring gay gogo bars in Soi Twilight but you should check where the punters go.Silom Soi 2 and Soi 4 win hands down on customer numbers and value for money
Customer numbers not customer service. My point is that there may be more buildings advertising themselves as gay venues in Soi Twilight but there are more customers in Silom Soi 2 or Silom Soi 4 any night of the week.
I would say based on my most recent visit (and many previous ones) you would be spot-on Roger, other than your description of Twilight Bars being half empty which would be wildly over-optimistic, the ONE example one certain poster chose to use (Dream Boys) in his arguement to back up his claim bars were not half empty as Roger claimed, was the ONLY bar more than half full, two were well under half full and the rest were near empty. Soi 2 Silom itself has more gay customers than all the Soi Twilight bars customers combined, so in terms of gay customer numbers soi 2 alone beats Soi Twilight hands down.

My visit there recently, Dream Boys was indeed packed to the rafters c250-300, i dont know the actual capacity, but i can also report that the other agogos in that soi were as follows......Hotmale was about 25% full, XMen was well under half full and these are the only two other 'busy bars' in the soi. Classic under 10% full as were Fresh Beach boys and Ocean boys.
So what does constitute a "gay bar"Well one bar in Pattaya which advertises as, and would be considered a 'gay bar' would be ABomb, try finding a gay member of staff in there, it is anything but 'gay'. It has no gay agogo boys, no gay staff, it is located in what is known as the 'straight' PattayaLand soi and most of it's customers would not be of the gay variety. A few gays certainly visit looking for a top man, but it's the female customers the boys working there hope will take them off.But i do hear it is gay 'friendly'.
how on earth can you compare how many people are in what venues when they are all behind closed doors
By looking inside them you dope. Many customers look inside first to see how busy the agogo is or if the boys/show are interesting enough to them before choosing to sit in one of the agogo bars, and Xmen, Fresh Beach, and Ocean Boys you don't even have to go in as they mostly have their entrance curtains open much of the time an you can see in easily walking past or while sitting at one of the Beerbars. Anyone should be able to assess the numbers on a single visit to that soi, apart from you it would seem. Also by chatting to others in the soi. One guy asked if i had been to any of the agogs that evening, i told him which and he told me he had been to Classic which was very poor and less than 10% full.

March 5th, 2012, 03:35
i guess id rather be a dope than a cheap charlie.. i tend to go into a bar for a beer etc etc ... not just poke my head thru the door to have a nose ...
a night out with you sounds like fun ... start the evening with a nose thru all the bars in soi twilight .. then off to the other sois for a nose inside .. then its 7-11 time for a beer or two ?? are you russian by chance ??
p.s if it takes about 10 minutes to walk from twilight to soi4 how do you know how many other curtain twitchers may have taken your lead ... who knows there could be 200 like you sticking your hooters thru different curtains ... so there really is no way to know how many are in what area at what time ...

March 5th, 2012, 04:11
Brithai - you are wasting your time with that particular keyboard gangster, he would argue black was white just to start a fight.

Thankfully, for many months now I have been spared reading his outpourings - achieved by my (once and for all) use of the IGNORE function.
All I see now is his username, which is more than sufficient.

If you value your sanity you might consider following my course of action.

a447
March 7th, 2012, 18:12
Does anyone know what happened to a guy in Solid called Bay? Is he still around? Is he outside beer bar in front of Ocean boys in Soi Twilight.?

And the 2 mama-sans? Where have they ended up?

pong
March 9th, 2012, 18:39
at least 1 of the exMS is in scorpion. and telling 1 view on how it came to be that way.
But back to the original topic-in other boards i also read that what has been told about the imminent closure does not correspond to the facts (assuming then that there is a consensus at all possible here in LOS what is a fact). so MY question now is, daft simple;
IS Solid still OPEN? If yes-does it have enough boys to make a drop-in worthwhile?
OR has it closed-and for ever now?

pong
March 13th, 2012, 09:33
again already solved: Solidly closed-and forever.

aussie_
April 6th, 2012, 10:05
Heartbeat is said to have coyotedancers (thus not that bored shuffling that seems to hold for gogo nowadays), an Isany twist (how innovative) and drinks at 200 bt and no special shows. in soi Wall Street. Do not know who owns what and what all the bisnis interests are.

I arrived in Thailand last night and my first stop was to check out the Heartbeat bar. Drinks were 200 baht for a Heiniken and spirits were 300 baht. I have been away for a few months so it was very enjoyable to have a couple of very hot looking guys sitting with me while we watched the 1030 show (there is another show around midnite). In between shows the boys were really dancing on the large stage, no two foot shuffle and they looked like they were having fun. Music sound levels were low compared to other go go bars and there was no cigarette smoke while I was there.

The go go boys are mostly the slim, twink, fem type with a few that might keep the "man" boy lovers happy. The guy I took home was excellent and we will meet again over Songkran. I will be returning there again soon as Heartbeat provides a very good environment to relax and have a few drinks.