asdsrfr-old
February 9th, 2012, 12:00
I will be in Thailand for a little over 2 weeks in April finishing up with
a few days in Phuket at the end of the trip for Songkran(which I enjoyed
there last year).

I am trying to plan a side trip out of Bangkok/Pattaya for 3-4 days to
someplace I hadn't visited before. I thought about Manila(heard good things
about the clubs there) but my time frame falls over Easter weekend and I
think a lot of the places will be closed or subduded due to the holiday.

One other possibility I considered was Laos(Luang Prabang), but from what
I've read that is the worst time of year to visit due to the heat/smoke.
Maybe another time.

So do you guys have any suggestions? I've been to Chiang Mai, and Chiang
Rai(also both hot and smokey that time of year) and I would love to check
out someplace new--preferably a cheap Air Asia flight away.

lonelywombat
February 9th, 2012, 13:28
Id suggest you have a look at the GAY SE Asia forum ,at visiting Cambodia. Siem Reap, Phnom Penh or Sihanoukville. There are dozens of posts over 6/8 threads that should help you.

That is also the place where you will get the most relevant replies.

goji
February 10th, 2012, 01:58
Siem Reap.

luvthai-2
February 10th, 2012, 06:15
Bali

pong
February 10th, 2012, 08:17
Easter is a complete non-issue in Buddist lands. May be different in PH though=catholic. Certainly the wholy week leading into it. But that does not mean mass-tourism.

asdsrfr-old
February 10th, 2012, 09:55
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been to both Siam Reap and Bali and both are great destinations worthy of return trips. Re: the PI--from what I've read on some other sites most places are closed all together on Good Friday and that a lot of people spend time with their families over Easter weekend. It is their biggest holiday of the year. Not the bet weekend to plan to hit the clubs in Manilla.

One of the great things about Thailand is that it is so centrally located to so many other interesting places--just a short flight away. There are still plenty of places in Thailand that I haven't explored as well so that is always a very nice option!

a447
February 11th, 2012, 07:30
You mentioned Luang prabang as a possible destination, so I guess you are not necessarily looking for a place with gay clubs, etc. LP has NOTHING!

If gay life is not a priority, try Hoi An in Vietnam. I was there a few weeks ago and loved it. Hue was also great, but it's a 3/4 hour bus ride to get there.

I think someone posted here that Hua Hin had a bit of gay life happening.

martin911
February 11th, 2012, 15:10
I will be in Thailand for a little over 2 weeks in April finishing up with
a few days in Phuket at the end of the trip for Songkran(which I enjoyed
there last year).

I am trying to plan a side trip out of Bangkok/Pattaya for 3-4 days to
someplace I hadn't visited before. I thought about Manila(heard good things

One other possibility I considered was Laos(Luang Prabang), but from what
I've read that is the worst time of year to visit due to the heat/smoke.
Maybe another time.

So do you guys have any suggestions? I've been to Chiang Mai, and Chiang
Rai(also both hot and smokey that time of year) and I would love to check
out someplace new--preferably a cheap Air Asia flight away.

Im a BIG fan of Man -- !!!!! --3 hours away !!!
AND over Easter is a Perfect time to Go -- Nothing (bar/clubwise ) will be closed -- yes its a huge holiday there (act the terrible traffic is v subdued over Easter !!) but it will mean the clubs will be busier than normal :):):)
Are you into the Club scene ???
Phino boys are sooo hot and adventourous !!! - and -like group sex !!!!
And if you are in reasonable shape you will have to fight the boys away --i kid you not !!!!!
And the clubs are MB free -- totally diff scene to Thailand -- they love meeting forigeners !!!!!!
Pm me if you want any more info !!!!

goji
February 11th, 2012, 18:56
You mentioned Luang prabang as a possible destination, so I guess you are not necessarily looking for a place with gay clubs, etc. LP has NOTHING! If gay life is not a priority, try Hoi An in Vietnam. I was there a few weeks ago and loved it. Hue was also great, but it's a 3/4 hour bus ride to get there. I think someone posted here that Hua Hin had a bit of gay life happening.

I found Luang Prabang to be much nicer than Hoi An & there is more to do for 4 days. Next to no gay life in both, but Luang Prabang has the edge on that count too.
For Hoi An, presumably 3/4 hour means 45 minutes in this context, as it was a fairly short bus journey from Danang. To get to Danang, I think you still need to fly to Hanoi or Saigon (possibly Air Asia) then get a connecting flight (Jet Star?). Luang Prabang has the advantage of direct flights, although these are expensive.

Dboy
February 12th, 2012, 00:18
If gay life is not a priority, try Hoi An in Vietnam. I was there a few weeks ago and loved it. Hue was also great, but it's a 3/4 hour bus ride to get there.

Wow, envy! Have wanted to do something like this for many years now

Dboy

fedssocr
February 12th, 2012, 04:59
I enjoyed Sukhothai and Phitsanulok...but that was at Loy Krathong time. I imagine that is a nicer time to be there than the heat of April. But there are some large national parks with some mountainous areas around there too.

a447
February 12th, 2012, 06:29
No, Goji. It is 3 to 4 hours from Hoi An to Hue by bus. It's only just over 100 km but the bus is slow and it stops "for a rest" for an hour on the way.

From Danag to Hoi An is 40 mins by taxi.

And I tend to agree with your opinion of Luang Prabang over Hoi An. The river setting is fantastic and the town itself is totally unique. Hoi An is very touristy, but then, I guess that's because it's so interesting.

I once went up the river from Kanchanaburi and spent a couple of nights on a raft hotel. During the day I went on jungle walks and elephant rides. Very interesting.

Dboy
February 12th, 2012, 22:31
Ok, so you guys are inspiring me to look into this. Here's the Seat 61 map for the region:

http://www.seat61.com/Map-southeast-asia-train-routes.htm

something like this would make a great trip (more than a weekend getaway, obviously):

1) rail from Bangkok to Aranyaprethet
2) then bus to Siem Reap (for Angkor Wat)
3) then bus to Phenom Penh
4) then bus to Sihanoukville
5) then bus to Saigon
6) then train up the coast of Vietnam..
7) to Nha Trang
8) to Dieu Tri
9) to Hoi An/Danang
10) to Hue
11) Dong Hoi
12) Vinh
13) to Hanoi (!)
14) from Hanoi, either bus to Luang Prabang,
or continuing on train to Beijing (then flight to bkk)
15) from Luang Prabang, bus to Vientiane
16) then train to Ayutthaya/Lopburi
17) then either N to Chiang Mai, or S back to BKK

ceejay
February 12th, 2012, 23:20
I'm planning something similar DBoy, but a shorter itinerary. It's all booked up for May (yes, I know that's the rainy season, but I've generally found that nothing to be afraid of). It's a shorter trip, going from North to South, and staying inland. I'll also be hiring cars and drivers.
I'll start of with 3 days in Pattaya or Bangkok, just to acclimatise.
Then, fly to Ubon to get picked up and driven on to Amnat Charoen (where I want to stay because it is reputed to have the most numerous and varied Mor Lam bars in Thailand)
Next five days: Two days for Yasothon Rocket Festival (which is why I am going in May) plus more general touring around in Roi Et/Mukdahan/Amnat Charoen
Then: cross the Friendship Bridge 2 into Laos and spend the night in Savannakhet
Next day: to Hue, entering Vietnam at Lao Bao and stopping off at Khe Sanh along the way
Two days in Hue
Two days in Hoi Anh, including a visit to May Sonh
Then down to Saigon via the Central Highlands with one or two nights in each of Kontum, Buon Ma Thoc, Lak Lake and Dalat.
Couple of nights in Saigon
Fly back to Bangkok

Then the bummer - fly back home.

BonTong
February 14th, 2012, 10:52
I thought about Manila(heard good things

I can thoroughly recommend Taipei which is a similar distance to Manila. The city has undergone some big transformation in the last few years and even has a trendy and growing gay area. Lots of fun places to go at the weekend, though very quiet in the week and they don't do Easter. Oh, and no money boys.....

I would also have recommended flying KLM as they have great fares on BKK-TPE compared with Thai etc. Sadly they are dropping the service from 25 March after many years so you'll be a couple of weeks too late.