PDA

View Full Version : Checking out St Regis тАУ BangkokтАЩs newest top-tier hotel

Beachlover
February 6th, 2012, 20:09
I gave the St Regis Hotel in Bangkok a go last year... it opened in April 2011 and is their first property in Thailand.

The Bangkok St Regis is good value because St Regis properties in other countries are $400+/night while Bangkok is only half that тАУ around USD$250/7,500 baht/night for the тАЬSt Regis experienceтАЭ.

The hotel is on Rajadamri Rd beside the skytrain station, linked with a private, air conditioned walkway. It overlooks the Royal Bangkok Sports Club so you get sweeping views of the Bangkok city skyline from Silom to Siam Square.

The surrounding streets were a bit sterile тАУ none of usual bustling Bangkok vendors and street food cartsтАУ but if you exit the hotel, turn right and walk 2-3 minutes to where the Four Seasons is, you can find some street food vendors. Lumpini Park is nearby so I went for a run there most days. All up... pretty good location!

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/St%20Regis%20BKK/View.jpg
The view

ROOM

I got upgraded to the executive deluxe room or something. I usually prefer clean, subtle design so I found it a bit extravagant but I guess thatтАЩs part of the experience. Everything from the soap dish to the coffee table looks like itтАЩs out of some European royal palace. All functional and super-comfortable though.

The bed was especially good тАУ nice solid pillows. Bathroom was great тАУ biggest rain shower IтАЩve encountered. Internet is 400 baht/day but garment pressing is free so no need to do my own ironing for once!

You get a complimentary butler service to bring you tea and coffee (very good) anytime. The internet went down while I was working one day so they sent three butlers. Two hovered over my laptop talking to tech support while the third made me tea and brought me cookies and chocolate ├йclairs etc. Hahaha... they got the internet working too.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/St%20Regis/Bath.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/St%20Regis/Room.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/St%20Regis/Bed.jpg

POOL

The pool area is super-nice but smallтАж ItтАЩs a really nice spot to lounge, overlooking the Royal Bangkok Sports Club with a fantastic view of the city skyline. ItтАЩs only just long enough to do laps. But thereтАЩs a nice semi-private Jacuzzi areaтАж sweet for making out at sunset!

The foodтАЩs also great... the St Regis Wagu Beef Burger is awesome! I spent a few days lounging here with my laptop. Nice way to тАЬworkтАЭ.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/St%20Regis/Pool.jpg
The pool

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/St%20Regis/Poolview.jpg
Pool view overlooking The Royal Bangkok Sports Club

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/St%20Regis/Pooljacuzzi.jpg
Entrance to a nice little semi-private jacuzzi in the background

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/St%20Regis/Poolsunset.jpg
The view from the St Regis at sunset!

BREAKFAST

Breakfast was free, setting was nice and service was impeccable but food selection was disappointing for a hotel of this calibre. Not enough variety and choice. Even the Dusit Thani serves a better breakfast.

BAR

I never got to the bar when it was open as I was always out in the evenings with my BF or doing other stuff. But we spent some time there after it had closed one night and it was a really nice place to hang out... even without people serving drinks. One of my friends told me they do this ceremony at 6 or 6:30pm where they open a bottle of champagne with a sword but I missed it as I was always elsewhere at that time.

SPA

I had a massage in the Elamis spa. I think it was 4,000 baht+ for a 1-hour massage, which is a bit pricey relative to competitors. You can ask for a male or female therapist. The therapistтАЩs skill was exceptional. The relaxation room and changing area was exceptional. Nice cabanas (I fell asleep in one afterwards) and Jacuzzis. I liked the Kempinski Spa more though... better value and I get a better therapist there.

DOWNSIDES

No real downsides for me... Wish they had a bigger pool with more comfortable loungers, maybe some outdoor seating for breakfast and a better breakfast. Spa was too pricey. More male butlers would be nice too. I only had female butlers on my floor and for some reason I was picturing a male butler. ItтАЩs a gay thing... :happy7:

OVERALL

All in all, not a bad place to spend a week... a great experience but I liked the Kempinski better. My then BF preferred the St Regis but he probably likes the novelty factor of the slightly European style thing... as many Thais do!

Photobucket is screwing me around with the resizing thing so no idea how big the photos above will appear...

sydneyboy
February 6th, 2012, 21:57
What a pity the pool is a let down. This is what I found so disappointing about the Le Meridien in Patpong. From Tripadvisor reports it is also the flaw in the new Hotel Muse. There is the Sofitel So opening at the end of the month so that will be one to watch. Out of interest, for those into 5 star hotels what is your favourite hotel pool in Bangkok?

Beachlover
February 8th, 2012, 08:51
What a pity the pool is a let down. This is what I found so disappointing about the Le Meridien in Patpong. From Tripadvisor reports it is also the flaw in the new Hotel Muse.
The pool was beautiful and better than most others I've had in Bangkok. Just thought it felt a bit cramped and should've been larger.

Undersized pools are a flaw in almost all the lower-end 5-star hotels in Bangkok... Sofitel Silom, Le Meridien and Dusit Thani all have tiny pools but that's expected as you're only paying 3,000-5,000/night for these places.

It's just disappointing when you get a small pool in a top-tier hotel like St Regis. The other annoying thing is there's another roof-top/ledge pool about 10-20 levels above you that's more than twice the size! But that's only for the St Regis Residence dwellers! (They pay something like 100 million baht+ for their apartments).

I used to only use pools for swimming laps and only cared about length (short = can't swim laps) but these days I seem to spend most of my working hours by the pool so don't mind if it's under 30 metres... long as it's a nice environment to chill.

Out of interest, for those into 5 star hotels what is your favourite hotel pool in Bangkok?
Haven't tried all so can't say... Le Meridien is the best out of the lower-end 5-stars I've tried. St Regis has a gorgeous skyline view. But Kempinski is the nicest so far because of the size, landscaping and tranquility.

Thinking of trying the Intercontinental next as it actually has a rooftop pool on top of the building... anyone tried this? Any good?

Which of the riverfront hotels has the nicest pool? Peninsula, Shangri-La, Mandarin Oriental or Chatrium? I've yet to try one of these.

Any other suggestions for nice pools in Bangkok?

Jellybean
February 8th, 2012, 14:22
Does my apartment pool count?

Beachlover
February 8th, 2012, 19:23
Are those cabanas in the background?

Mmmmmm... big fan of having cabanas over individual recliners. :drunken:

Jellybean
February 8th, 2012, 21:20
Hi Beachlover

Yes, they are cabanas, although I think they are referred to as Salas here. There are three with very soft comfortable seating, lots of plump cushions and a low level table, the other 4 have dining tables and chairs. The soft seating Salas are very popular and you have to book them at least a week in advance.

On the right hand side is a terrific Italian restaurant, which also provides waiter service by the pool. On the floor below is a commercial gym. ItтАЩs a nice little oasis in the heart of Bangkok.

But I expected you to tell me it doesnтАЩt count because itтАЩs not an hotel.

sydneyboy
February 9th, 2012, 02:15
To partly answer my own question, the pool and gym at the Hyatt Erawan look nice.

Beachlover
February 20th, 2012, 20:55
The Hilton Pattaya has the nicest (common use, not private) pool I've seen in Thailand so far. Pretty spectacular.

The Siam Kempinski Hotel has the nicest pool I've seen in Bangkok so far. St Regis probably has the nicest view of any pool.

The 4-star Siam@Siam Design Hotel in Bangkok has a pretty nice pool, rooftop overlooking the city with a cool view, though limited in size... I've seen it and been there for dinner and a drink but not stayed there.

Can't recommend any other hotels I've stayed in so far for their pools... the rest are mediocre.

sydneyboy
February 21st, 2012, 02:42
The pool at the Intercontinental in Bangkok is very small. A pity because the rooms have recently been refurbished and are apparently very nice and the gym excellent.

sydneyboy
February 22nd, 2012, 16:31
There is a new 5 star hotel opening on 28 February called the Sofitel So (not to be confused with the other Sofitels in Bangkok). Its near Lumpini Park. Could be interesting.

Jellybean
February 23rd, 2012, 14:35
Sofitel So Bangkok

I took a couple of photos of the new Sofitel So Bangkok the other morning whilst on the way to my Thai school. It is situated at the top of North Sathorn Road (Thanon Sathorn Nua) on the intersection with Rama IV Road (Thanon Pa-Ram-Sii). Just before the Dusit Thani.

As sydneyboy says, the hotel is due to open on 28 February 2012.

W- Bangkok

Another 5-star hotel is being built on Sathorn Road just across from my apartment (See photos below) and is called the W Bangkok. From what I can see it is going to have a very small oval shaped pool and is surrounded by a rather strange structure which I canтАЩt quite make out.

According to their website page the hotel is due to open on 1 October 2012. It also makes some rather bold claims about the sort of clientele they expect to accommodate:

"In the cityтАЩs prestigious Embassy Row and pulsating commercial district is the W Bangkok, a stylish icon of Asian chic. Welcome to the new playground of ambassadors, jet setters and fashionistas, a hot destination by the coolest shopping and dining.

SPICE AND ALL THINGS NICE

Live to tell about the legendary, and simply savory Thai cuisine, chili-hot nightlife and sinfully relaxing spa experience. Indulge in our world-class restaurant, sizzling bar and always vibrant Living Room where you can mix, mingle and play all day.

WAYS TO UNWIND

In our 403 rooms, youтАЩre dreaming sweet in the signature W bed, or lazing in plush bathrobes as you enjoy state-of-the-art entertainment and fully wired technology, the fabulous Munchie Box and our wonderful Whatever/Whenever┬о service."

sydneyboy
February 23rd, 2012, 15:05
Jellybean

Did you look at the pool area at the Sofitel So? If so how does it compare with comparable hotels in Bangkok?

Jellybean
February 23rd, 2012, 16:16
Hi Sydneyboy

IтАЩll try and have a look at the weekend and pose as a friend of a customer who is thinking of booking a room тАУ IтАЩve done that before - ha, ha, ha! The website says it does not formally open until the 28 February so maybe IтАЩll have to wait until after that date before reporting back.

Jellybean
February 24th, 2012, 13:44
Sydneyboy

I was at Thai school again this morning and I thought, since I was in the immediate area, I would check out the Sofitel So Bangkok and see if it was open. Happily it was and a very kind, and handsome, porter showed me around. I was taken to the main reception area, which is on the 9th floor where there is also a cocktail bar. The bar will have a DJ playing every night from 6.00pm until 9.00pm.

At reception I was met by the most outrageously camp (or should I say flamboyant) receptionist тАУ reminded me of the ice cream seller on Dong tan Beach in Jomtien!

The hotel definitely has the тАШwow factorтАЩ. It can be accessed from Rama IV and Sathorn North Road, although if you were arriving from the airport, Rama IV Road would be easiest and most convenient for your taxi driver. I was most impressed and, as you would expect from a brand new hotel, everything is modern, hi-tech, high-spec and very fashionable. I did not enquire about the room rates as you will be able to find that out for yourself from their website.

You asked specifically about the swimming pool, well, in my opinion, it looks fantastic (See photos below). It is an infinity pool on the 10th floor with a fabulous view over Lumphinii Park (suan lumphinii). And, as you can see from the photos, it is very long it and will, I am sure, prove be good for exercise. There is also a well equipped exercise area by the pool.

There is also a solarium for those with a head for heights.

I was also shown the very spacious restaurant on the 7th floor, which was open and had several diners at the time of my visit. The set lunch time menu cost 900 Baht, which I think was reasonable given the star rating of the hotel. I might well try it out next week.

In short then, if I was visiting Bangkok as a tourist and could afford to stay in a 5-star hotel then I would most certainly put this one on my list. Of course, I have not actually stayed in the hotel so my comments are simply based on what I saw as a visitor. But if the standard of service is anything like the other Sofitel hotels then l donтАЩt think I would have any worries on that score. But as they say in Thai, leeo dtee khun (up to you!)

sydneyboy
February 25th, 2012, 05:02
Thank you Jellybean. You are so kind. This forum at its best!

Screamaloud
February 25th, 2012, 05:58
JellyBean: a great review. Exactly the way they should be written.

Beach lover: gee you travel light old son. Not a single piece of luggage or clothing or toiletries in any of pics you took.

martin911
February 25th, 2012, 06:14
JellyBean: a great review. Exactly the way they should be written.

Beach lover: gee you travel light old son. Not a single piece of luggage or clothing or toiletries in any of pics you took.

LOL im glad i am not the only one that noticed that !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Or in any of the other hotel rooms that a certain person was in --although i do agree with a "certain person " as regards the Kempinski as one of the better hotel brands (if you could call The Ks a hotel brand ) :dontknow:

One might think that it was a little ?? - hmm whats the best word for this " contrived " :laughing3:

yes i think thats the word i was looking for !!

Good nite all :sleepy1:

fedssocr
February 25th, 2012, 06:40
The Hansar had a lot of buzz when it first opened as well. I think that's in the neighborhood of the St. Regis, no?

This Sofitel does look pretty nice. Did they show you any rooms or just the public areas?

Beachlover
February 25th, 2012, 06:53
gee you travel light old son. Not a single piece of luggage or clothing or toiletries in any of pics you took.
I do travel light! But not that light... I tend to snap a few photos while I'm waiting around for the porter to bring my luggage up, hence the lack of personal belongings!

Martin... Would it make you feel better to see a toothbrush in one of the photos?! :rolling:

The Hansar had a lot of buzz when it first opened as well. I think that's in the neighborhood of the St. Regis, no?
I could see the Hansar from my room... Looks good and I keep meaning to stay there.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/HansarfromStRegis.jpg

Jellybean
February 25th, 2012, 11:16
fedssocr

Sorry, they did not show me any rooms, but then again I did not ask to see any. In that respect I realise my report is incomplete and, with the benefit of hindsight, I now wish I had asked if it was possible to see one of the rooms because IтАЩm sure it would not have been a problem, they were that helpful. I also wish I had asked a few more questions. I promise to do better on my next assignment. Now I feel like Secret Squirrel eagerly awaiting my next mission!

Below are two more photos I took of the pool which I did not include with my previous post as IтАЩve been having Internet connection problems and thought I was about to lose the whole post.

sydneyboy
February 25th, 2012, 12:54
Jellybean

Again thank you. The Sofitel So Bangkok has a website which has good photos of the rooms but not the pool or fitness centre. You have filled in the gaps.

lexusgs
February 25th, 2012, 14:35
I was in BKK last week for a couple of days. Stayed at the the new Aloft Hotel (same group as Sheraton, St Regis etc) on Sukhumvit 11. Nice Funky place and newly opened opposite Bed Supperclub. Room was 2100 per night which is a good deal right now for the standard of accommodation. You get a couple of tickets for club inc when you check in and plenty of guys looking to
hook up here. Makes a change from the usual BKK haunts. Slightly hi-so of course ....lol
If you do check the place out ask for a touch room. They give you a Samsung Galaxy S 2 smartphone that controls the curtains, lights, tv, etc without having to get out of bed ....lol

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthote ... rtyID=3211 (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3211)