PDA

View Full Version : Cafe des Amis

Neal
February 1st, 2012, 17:23
I am sorry but I just can not say enough about this great place here in Pattaya. sure, we have all seen the signs, the advertisements BUT have you gone there? So far every single friend that I have referred to them has gone back and goes back often. Blu the owner has made the menu so that it has something to please everyone's palate as well as many Thai dishes for your young friend. The cost is very reasonable and and certainly fine dining way below the price of some of these other fine dining" places.
So far we have enjoyed their 5 hour lamb shank, and lamb chops as well as duck. We are all going again tonight and I heard that 4 other people heard about it from the guests I had there the other night. Try it and I really think you will enjoy it. We don't make commissions but it does show that we refer people when you make reservations by clicking on their advertisement by going to Gay Thailand Forum and opening any thread. If you don't see the ad, reload. It should appear as it is in rotation.

stevehadders
February 19th, 2012, 23:15
Hello Daboss

I like the look of the place on their page, and like the idea of eating there during my next trip in April. Do they have a good wine selection (the red selection is of more interest to me)? I did look on their web pages but couldnt see any wine list.

thanks

francois
February 20th, 2012, 00:05
I have eaten at Cafe des Amis and recall their wine selection as quite good especially the reds. You can bring your own wine and pay corkage but my experience was to select from their wine list.

ultimo
February 20th, 2012, 11:45
I am sorry but I just can not say enough about this great place here in Pattaya. sure, we have all seen the signs, the advertisements BUT have you gone there? So far every single friend that I have referred to them has gone back and goes back often. Blu the owner has made the menu so that it has something to please everyone's palate as well as many Thai dishes for your young friend. The cost is very reasonable and and certainly fine dining way below the price of some of these other fine dining" places.
So far we have enjoyed their 5 hour lamb shank, and lamb chops as well as duck. We are all going again tonight and I heard that 4 other people heard about it from the guests I had there the other night. Try it and I really think you will enjoy it. We don't make commissions but it does show that we refer people when you make reservations by clicking on their advertisement by going to Gay Thailand Forum and opening any thread. If you don't see the ad, reload. It should appear as it is in rotation.

I believe the Chef at this restaurant moved to Maggs on Soi Threppasit about 2 weeks ago!!
Maybe try Maggs ..excellent food and a 3 course special for 340baht.

francois
February 20th, 2012, 12:09
Maggs is good at a reasonable price; Cafe des Amis was better but more expensive. Just my opinion.

February 20th, 2012, 12:32
I agree 100% about Cafe de Amis. The quality of the meals I have had there are excellent and the ambiance along with the quite capable waitstaff rounds the restaurant out.

For my personal taste it would be a tossup among Cafe de Amis, Mata Hari or Mantra.

Neal
February 20th, 2012, 12:52
I don't think that 1,200 average baht per meal with starter, entree and desert with beverages is "expensive" for a fine dinig restaurant. The several times I have eaten there the service and food were excellent!

stevehadders
February 20th, 2012, 14:32
Cafe des Amis it is then! 6.5 weeks to go and counting until my arrival :party

February 20th, 2012, 14:45
Cafe des Amis it is then! 6.5 weeks to go and counting until my arrival :party

You will not be disappointed. I have had most of the steaks on the menu and they were all good. Last time I had the pork tenderloin and it was excellent. If you happen to be a big eater you will not be disappointed there either.

alanthebuilder
February 20th, 2012, 17:16

Where is the Sign to click on ?
Im a great lover of food ,and Im often in Pattaya !

February 20th, 2012, 18:01
Cafe de Amis

http://www.cafedesamispattaya.com/intro ... iland.html (http://www.cafedesamispattaya.com/intro-sawatdeegaythailand.html)

ultimo
February 20th, 2012, 23:05
I agree 100% about Cafe de Amis. The quality of the meals I have had there are excellent and the ambiance along with the quite capable waitstaff rounds the restaurant out.

For my personal taste it would be a tossup among Cafe de Amis, Mata Hari or Mantra.

So you do not appear to have tried Maggs since the Cafe de Amis chef moved? If not maybe try it, I think you would be surprised at the ambience, quality of the food and wines and of course the price, which is definately lower than your paid advertiser!! Having said that I have been to Cafe a number of times and find it another nice restaurant along with many more in that league.

Neal
February 21st, 2012, 00:18
Ultimo, no I have not tried Maggs but I am sure you do and seem to be very vocal about it for whatever reason. I am also very vocal about Cafe des Amis and I must tell you not because they have a banner on this forum! I find that when you can eat in a fine restaurant, great ambiance, sweet small and charming I think that's a real plus. Add to that I find that being able to have a nice appetizer, entree, desert and soft drinks and walk away with a bill of about 1,200 is incredible.

Yes maybe the cook from Amis has moved, I don't know as I have not had a reason to ask but I doubt he makes the menu. Saying that, let us know where maggs is so we can all give it a try.

joe552
February 21st, 2012, 03:11
Call me a cheap charlie, but while I might enjoy this restaurant, my usual type of holiday companion would surely feel really uncomfortable?

Neal
February 21st, 2012, 03:21
Why would he feel uncomfortable Joe? I have met several people here that are on limited budgets who really liked the place and the prices.
So kip the starter and the desert and get a salmon salad, delicious and an entree, drink water and get out much cheaper. You won't regret it.

joe552
February 21st, 2012, 03:26
DaBoss, I wasn't trying to say it was too expensive for me, but I've taken boys from the bars to good restaurants and they feel uncomfortable. I could see myself splashing out on a night in Cafe, but if my company (a 20 year old from Isaan) feels uncomfortable, what is the point?

I'm not critising the restaurant. It looks great. But I can't see the average Isaan farmboy turned go-go dancer feeling right at home.

February 21st, 2012, 06:53

So you do not appear to have tried Maggs since the Cafe de Amis chef moved? If not maybe try it, I think you would be surprised at the ambiance, quality of the food and wines and of course the price, which is definitely lower than your paid advertiser!! Having said that I have been to Cafe a number of times and find it another nice restaurant along with many more in that league.

No I have not been to Maggs since they moved and I really do not know why. I had been to the old location many many times and always enjoyed it. The only reason I can think of is that it actually moved locations while I was out of town for awhile. Upon returning I just have not gotten around to it but I see no reason not to rectify that situation. Thanks for the reminders

Nirvana
February 22nd, 2012, 01:45
Regarding "Maggs" resturant ....why they up gave the place they had with great breakfast and
pleasant ambiance in the evening to move to a sterile place with NO ambiance...and reservations
only ....on my first visit to the new place ..sorry sir ... can put you outside in the corner ..although
there were four empty tables inside which remained unoccupied all the time I was there
don't think I'll be back ....... :