PDA

View Full Version : Duel Pricing

arsenal
February 1st, 2012, 07:23
I have copied the piece below because it is in the news section of the website and so the link won't last very long. At last the pricing difference paid by Thais and farangs actually makes some kind of sense. And it makes it clear that private businesses cannot do this.

PRICING POLICY AND GUIDELINES FOR TOURISM ATTRACTIONS IN THAILAND

The pricing policy and guidelines for tourism attractions, both public and private, around Thailand are all based in law. There are specific legal guidelines that apply for natural and cultural attractions under the supervision of the various state agencies belonging to the Royal Thai Government versus those applicable for tourism attractions that are wholly-owned, funded and operated by private sector operators. Any changes to these laws are a matter for parliamentary deliberation, and not for the state agencies charged with their correct application.

Pricing guidelines for natural and cultural attractions under the supervision of the various state agencies under the Royal Thai Government
The pricing for natural and cultural attractions supervised by the various state agencies belonging to the Royal Thai Government, and funded by the national budget, are governed by ministerial orders and announcements issued by the respective ministries based on various acts of parliament that have already been promulgated.

The spirit of the law assumes that natural and cultural attractions, including sacred and historic sites, nationwide are part of the national heritage, belonging to all Thais equally. The provisions set out in the ministerial orders are designed to ensure fair and equal opportunity for each and every individual Thai to have access to national treasures, and the natural and cultural heritage inherited from their forefathers.

The rationale underpinning existing legislation argues that each and every individual of Thai nationality is an equal stakeholder within the community. Fair and equal access must be granted to all Thai nationals, regardless of their social and economic status. Entrance fees to such attractions must therefore be made affordable for Thai citizens from all walks of life. Thai citizenship is determined by the presentation of a valid identification card issued by Thai district or provincial authorities.

National parks and natural heritage sites come under the supervision of the Ministry of Natural Resources and EnvironmentтАЩs Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation. Places of cultural or historic importance, including archaeological sites, come under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture.

An example of existing legislation is the National Park Act 2504 BE (Buddhist Era) for natural attractions under the supervision of state agencies under the Royal Thai Government.

NATIONAL PARK ACT,
2504 BE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX.
http://www.dnp.go.th/npo/html/Law_Rule/ ... k_2504.htm (http://www.dnp.go.th/npo/html/Law_Rule/Law/Law_ENationPark_2504.htm)
CHAPTER 3
Protection and Maintenance of the National Park

Section 18. Any person entering the national park must comply with the order of the competent official given in compliance with the rule prescribed by the Director-General and approved by the Minister.

CHAPTER 4
Miscellaneous

Section 23.
If the Director-General thinks it appropriate to require from the public any payment for services of facilities given by the competent official in the national park, or to require any person to pay a fee or remuneration for permission to carry on any activity or to sojourn therein, he is empowered to fix the rates and lay down rules concerning the collection of the said service charge, fee or remuneration, with the approval of the Minister.

Money collected under the preceding paragraph, funds donated for maintenance of the national park, fines accruing from settlement of the case conducted by the competent official under Section 28 and other kinds of income shall be exempted from any tax or duty, and kept as the expenditure for maintenance of the national park according to the rules and methods prescribed by the Director General and approved by the Minister.

тАЬDirector-GeneralтАЭ means the Director-General of the Forestry Department.

In the case of temples and shrines, Thais do not regard these sites as tourist attractions. They are sacred places of worship they visit to practice their faith.

Places of worship in Thailand of all denominations are generally open to the public at various times of day and welcoming. Most happen to be Buddhist. Buddhist practice embraces all individuals and does not exclude the participation of individuals who are non-Thai or non-Buddhist. All visitors to Thailand who wish to learn more about the country and its culture, Thai customs, tradition and Thai ways are welcome to witness and experience all aspects of Thai life up close and personal. It is hoped that their experiences are positive and memorable, and that they will be happy to make a small donation to help keep alive Thai customs and traditions, and generally support the countryтАЩs cultural heritage.

Fees charged and voluntary donations go towards the maintenance, conservation and care of the sites.

In the case of Thai citizens, their share of the contribution to the state budget is made through the payment of income tax and regular payment of other forms of indirect taxation. The payment of entrance fees, where applicable, is therefore in addition to the payments they have already made as taxpayers.

Following the establishment of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports in 2002, various regulatory duties have been transferred from TAT to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Office of Tourism Development.

Contact information:
Ministry of Tourism and Sports Office of Tourism Development
The Office of Tourism Development
National Stadium, Rama I Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand.
Tel: +66 (0) 2283 1500
Web site: www.mots.go.th (http://www.mots.go.th)

For specific enquiries, or to report specific incidents, please contact the Ministry or state agency responsible for overseeing the particular attraction directly.

Pricing guidelines for tourism attractions that are wholly-owned, funded and operated by private sector operators
Current legal guidelines on pricing stipulate unequivocally that there can only be one price charged for entrance/admission fees and that this must also be prominently displayed upfront.

Businesses are, however, granted the freedom to undertake marketing and promotional activities, and may for example legally offer non-discriminatory group discounts.

Thailand abides by internationally-recognized consumer protection practices. In the event that an individual consumer feels that they have been subject to unfair business practices, these grievances can be filed with the Consumer Protection Board for Thai nationals or the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Office of Tourism Development for visitors to Thailand.

pong
February 1st, 2012, 07:56
Many HTLs offer special pricing for Thai-offered as anyone having legal adress in TH.
Trains: local 3d cl trains are free for Thai-but you must still get a ticket. ANYOne who looks Asean enough and speaks the destination, gets such a ticket. The other farang pay-prices unchanged since I visit TH-23 yrs now ( 1 bt per 5 kms).
But here in BKK the free buses are free for anyone. However, senior discount on the AC-buses (also for MRT and ARL) from 60 yrs is only granted if you show a Thai ID.

pong
February 1st, 2012, 07:58
Oh-and I well remember the special promotion long, long ago in Familiymart: I pointed at the poster and was told ''only for Thai'' so I let the just made hot drink stand there and walked out. So they had more loss. Same shop 2 streets on saw no pwobwem with farang though.

February 1st, 2012, 08:25
Maybe I don't see a problem because I live here year round but I feel that discounts should be afforded to residents who use these different things year round. For example Bangkok Pattaya Hospital has dual pricing. Even the hospitals have different pricing for residents and those who are just passing through.

February 1st, 2012, 13:56
here we go again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we have dual pricing in british hospitals too .... the brits pay thru nation insurance and taxes etc etc .. the passers thru give false address and get it all for free ... give me the thai system anyday .... hey newalaan i said thai there, as in thailand ... so i can keep this one here !! wooo hooo.

February 1st, 2012, 15:15
If you venture to Drake's "sex complex" in Prague you will find that non-Czechs pay many times the entry fee that Czechs do* - so the Thais are not alone in this practice.

:occasion9:

*That was the situation a few years ago - but I doubt it's changed

February 1st, 2012, 16:08
Well I am sorry but I don't see a problem with it and understand it even though at times it costs me a little more.
I remember 18 months ago when we offered a discount to Expats living in Pattaya year round and the visitors had such a stink over the little discount we were giving to our year round customers that we had to stop it and just resort to a Happy Hour. Personally I saw nothing wrong with giving Expats who were on a more limited income a small discount, but that is me.

February 1st, 2012, 16:16
Well I am sorry but I don't see a problem with it and understand it even though at times it costs me a little more.
I remember 18 months ago when we offered a discount to Expats living in Pattaya year round and the visitors had such a stink over the little discount we were giving to our year round customers that we had to stop it and just resort to a Happy Hour. Personally I saw nothing wrong with giving Expats who were on a more limited income a small discount, but that is me.

Unfortunately, it always generates problems when you're open about what you're doing - if it was me I'd be giving "membership cards" to those expats or regulars to whom I wished to give a discount, with discount being given on production of the card.

If any other customer picked up on it my response would be "You can be a member too - for 500B, would you like to join right now Sir?"

:occasion9:

February 1st, 2012, 16:21
Ya can't win Scottie! We tried VIP cards and we got people all upset because others who saw the card felt that they "deserved" one also. "You mean I am not special??", they would say. Oh scotty ya just get fucked with anything you do. I have been trying for 18 months and whatever you do someone screams rape and I hate to say it but the biggest screamers are the expats we have tried over and over to provide for. I mean we really tried for the expats because we felt that they were here all year! Then we got people who were "insulted and not coming back because they were here 10 months out of a year and then 8 months out of a year. I even had one who was very nasty who said he had a Thai drivers licence and a home here and was here 7 months out of a year and he still considered himself a expat and since he could not have the expat price "would never be back"! Ask PattayaMale! :3some: 12 visits and 12 major problems over discounts etc. I believe in our 18 months we have had only three people that have screamed so loud and so often that we literally had to ask PLEASE take your business elsewhere! Only 2 that were ever thrown off the forum. Its difficult to become an honored member of the "get the fuck outta here" list. :laughing3:

newalaan
February 1st, 2012, 16:30
Well I am sorry but I don't see a problem with it and understand it even though at times it costs me a little more........that we had to stop it and just resort to a Happy Hour. Personally I saw nothing wrong with giving Expats who were on a more limited income a small discount, but that is me.
Yep I agree if it costs a little more, it's be expected really. And I agree that Expats living full time in Thailand should also recieve some consideration in regards to a 'discount'. I know a few boys who have 'regular' expats and are happy to accept Bt500 for a short time if it is a regular liason, they say these liasons pay their basic rent each month and they come to rely on it, they accept it where they KNOW an expat is on a limited income and often because they have grown to like the person. The same boys however would not accept that level of tipping from a tourist/visitor. Even though I get annoyed with those who tip as little as Bt500 i can understand where exceptions can benefit both parties especially if frequent and regular (bulk discount if you like).
And it makes it clear that private businesses cannot do this. To be honest no matter what is wrtten as law, or official guidlines, the perception(truth) is that most foreigners who can come to Thailand are well off (enough to afford the airfare anyway) and therefore it is seen as 'fair' by Thais that they should be paying less than them, it's in the Thai DNA already, and it's prevalent in every aspect of daily life.....sex industry-they expect farang to pay Bt1000 short time, thai-Bt500. Police highway(robbery) patrol Thai-Bt20-60 Farang-Bt100/Bt300 etc etc... most of which I don't really have a problem with, it's more the one's with a VAST price difference such as Bt20 or free for a Thai to a National park or attraction and Farang Bt300-500 which can 'sometimes' grate.

here we go again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I see what you mean, yet another of your 'moves' towards dragging the topic onto british politics
hey newalaan i said thai there, as in thailand ... so i can keep this one here !! wooo hooo.Don't see anything about 'gay' in there..........sling the post into Global is what i say! Start a new thread in Global "Brithai's boring, dull, tedious sleep-inducing off-topic British politics thread" that would be a fair and accurate heading.

aot871
February 1st, 2012, 19:37
I belive that funnyboys has a discount card , which can be used in funnyboys , panarama and cafe royale. Im not sure but i also think you have to purchase it , and it then allows you 10% discount on drinks in these places plus food in the cafe

Beachlover
February 1st, 2012, 20:20
I hate to say it but the biggest screamers are the expats we have tried over and over to provide for. I mean we really tried for the expats because we felt that they were here all year! Then we got people who were "insulted and not coming back because they were here 10 months out of a year and then 8 months out of a year. I even had one who was very nasty who said he had a Thai drivers licence and a home here and was here 7 months out of a year and he still considered himself a expat and since he could not have the expat price "would never be back"! Ask PattayaMale! :3some: 12 visits and 12 major problems over discounts etc. I believe in our 18 months we have had only three people that have screamed so loud and so often that we literally had to ask PLEASE take your business elsewhere! Only 2 that were ever thrown off the forum. Its difficult to become an honored member of the "get the fuck outta here" list. :laughing3:
I reckon this is more a reflection on the character of expats you get there, rather than the more than generous efforts you've made to cater to their whims.

christianpfc
February 2nd, 2012, 00:24
Duel Pricing

Dual Pricing?

The dual pricing is fine for me. It depends on how you look at it. When I go somewhere with a Thai friend, I pay entry for both of us. So instead of complaining that I pay twice the Thai price, I am happy because I pay only half of the Farang price for my Thai friend.

February 2nd, 2012, 01:25
Duel Pricing

Dual Pricing?

The dual pricing is fine for me. It depends on how you look at it. When I go somewhere with a Thai friend, I pay entry for both of us. So instead of complaining that I pay twice the Thai price, I am happy because I pay only half of the Farang price for my Thai friend.

You wouldn't be so happy if you found out that whilst you only get 5 minature Eiffel Towers for 1 Euro, they give 10 to the French!

:evil4:

February 2nd, 2012, 01:39
To get back ON TOPIC (see top of page) - am I to assume one has to pay to stage a DUEL these days?

In my day one simply went up to one's adversary, threw down one's glove at his feet, and said "I demand satisfaction Sir - Choose your weapons"

:dontknow: :dontknow: