PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok and around

litefoot2
January 30th, 2012, 06:26
I'm returning to BKK after a few years and am hoping forum comrades could help with a couple of updates.

1) checking the web I've found recent feedback on the Pinnacle Hotel to be somewhat negative (disrepair, etc). Anyone current on the Pinnacle?

2) Beyond your hotel, how frequent are free WiFi hotspots in the city?

Thanks everyone.

pong
January 30th, 2012, 07:43
@1-only know from outside-so wait for others. But I dont think there is any economy HTL that does not get some minor neg. reviews-just learn to live with it-or maybe read between the lines.
@2. VERY widespread-and at unexpected places, though many of the 1st time farang seem to scary too use it. About any school or govt office has it and can be caught till quite far outside. Even applies to various cityparks. No need at all to go into superexpensive Starbuxx etc to catch it.

latintopxxx
January 30th, 2012, 15:27
public wifi in BKK is totally infected, almost everytime I log on my terribly sophisticated and regularly updated firewall installed on my work laptop goes into a spasm.....all sorts of software trying to load itself...would not risk doing online banking...most major hotel chains seem to have a clean system.

January 30th, 2012, 16:51
Free wifi is everywhere ( well in central BKK anyway) nearly all the pubs, restaurants, cafes etc some totally but most for aimed at their cusotmers so the assumption is you're there to buy something, even a coffee - which I find works fine it you want to stop for five minutes and catch up on your email etc.

And re whether the wifi is "infected" or not all I can say I use my iPhone to log on extensively and have never had any problems, perhaps that's maybe more thanks to Apples closed software and perhaps a windows based laptop may be slightly different I'm not sure?

christianpfc
January 31st, 2012, 00:43
A year ago, I stayed with a Thai friend in Pinnacle hotel (I joined him for none night in his room and visited a few times during daytime) and found nothing negative. Recently a Farang friend (who knows a lot of hotels in Bangkok) recommended Pinnacle to me.