PDA

View Full Version : decent (gay) hotel in Phuket? (Maybe a travelbuddy too :))

January 30th, 2012, 01:11
Hey everyone, which hotel would you guys recommend in Patong? I looked at Aquarius, but the feedback on tripadvisor is less than appealing. is the sauna any good? If someone has a good, preferably gay alternative (will be there on my own, wouldn't mind meeting some fellow-minded guys there) that would be cool

BTW, I am gonna be there 12-19 April, fellow traveller's company is more than welcome :)) :party

bucknaway
January 30th, 2012, 02:18
If it is your first time in Phuket and you want to stay in the heart of the gay area and in a gay friendly place than I would suggest you look at connect guest house. http://www.gaypatong.com/connect/

The benefits to staying at Connect are basic. It is as gay-friendly as you can get. It is in the heart of gay Phuket which means that you will not have to hire a taxi to take you from your hotel to a gay area, the room rates are reasonable and the room I stayed in many years ago was of good size and comfortable.

lonelywombat
January 30th, 2012, 05:14
Whatever you decide to do, do it fast. Songkran is 13/15 April and most hotels would already have heavy bookings. At Connect you will be right in the middle of the """FUN""" and I think that would be more preferable to long walks being saturated by cold water. It is a very happy time but not all people like it. Admittedly things do tone down at night.

Google Songkran Phuket 2012

paulfort
January 30th, 2012, 05:50
Aquarius is pretty good, a nice location right in the middle of the gay area, spacious clean rooms and friendly staff, I certainly enjoyed my last stay there and would return, Alternatively you could try Club one Seven - nice place, good pool in the rear garden, but not as central, though only a fifteen minute walk from the Paradise complex. www.cluboneseven.net/index.htm (http://www.cluboneseven.net/index.htm).

I am planning a return trip to Thailand but this time only to Bangkok & Pattaya in late March, so a bit before your trip!

newalaan
January 30th, 2012, 07:00
Hey everyone, which hotel would you guys recommend in Patong?I will be staying in Patong next month at Sundowners in Paradise Complex, have never stayed there before but my usual guesthouse has had to close due to an 80% rent increase demand from Jan 1st and the owner recommended Sundowners to me as an alternative. If you have'nt already booked by then, i will advise how I get on at Sundowners.

January 31st, 2012, 06:02
Thanks I will try to be quick..

Actually just today I was thinking maybe I should really go to Pattaya instead of Phuket.. One is bigger gay scene, the other is supposed to be more attractive as a place..

any thoughts? anyone?

lonelywombat
January 31st, 2012, 06:50
I think Pattaya is a better choice for this time Songkran in Phuket 13/15 but starts later in Pattaya 19 April. By that time you will have had a good time and get an idea about the water throwing, which can be a shock first time you come across it.

But once again as it is school holidays in the Southern Hemisphere plus the end of Easter holidays, plus Songkran you will find it hard to get a room.

Decide and do it now. That is high season.

kjun12
January 31st, 2012, 14:48
Puffin, whatever you do please stay out of Phuket for your own physical safety as well as that of your money. That place is full of scams and danger. Just google "phuket scams" and you will see what I mean.

January 31st, 2012, 18:44
A bit over dramatic.

I have been in Phuket many times without any incident.

I rarely use the taxis and when I do, I'm aware it's going to be expensive so I ask the price first.
I don't ever use the jet skis in Phuket, and I don't stop in the street to chat to people I don't know.
If I go into Mama San go-go I know they're going to try to rip me for 3000B for a bottle of "Blend" :sign5: and tell me that my boy from last time died 5 days ago and do I want to contribute to the funeral - so it becomes a bit of a game.

Other than those 4 things, there is little for the average tourist to be wary of in Phuket IMHO.

:occasion9:

January 31st, 2012, 22:37
Puffin, whatever you do please stay out of Phuket for your own physical safety as well as that of your money. That place is full of scams and danger. Just google "phuket scams" and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for the warning, but the thing is I come from central Eastern Europe, have travelled a lot within Europe and I think I am a man of common sense..:)

also call me boring but I don't drink (at least alcohol) not really planning on picking up boys in the bar (hopefully cause I won't have to, not yet anyways) I learning some Thai, so I can at least ry to communicate with the people in their own language which I think is usually a good indicator for taxi drivers not to try to take you for a fool, cause they think if u speak some of the language you must have been around for long enough to know better..

and lastly I am not into jet skis:)))