PDA

View Full Version : My first time in BKK gay scene

January 27th, 2012, 14:38
Guys,

I have just spent my first time on the BKK scene.

First night, arrived at Aquarius guest house, a boy had been arranged for me. Very pretty, great body but no English. Had a nice time with him.

Later out to bars - ended up in Boys of Bangkok. It was fun - lots of pretty boys. Got a nice smile from one so he joined me for a drink with his friend and we all left together for a meal. I seemed to buy drinks for half of the staff. Took me to a nice restaurant for a great meal then a few drinks. We were all quite drunk and had a good time together back at the guest house.

Day 2 - moved to Crowne Plaza hotel. Met a young guy for dinner who I had discovered on Planet Romeo site. Great dinner, good conversation, back to hotel for drinks and you know what. Not a money boy.

Day 3 - met another guy from Planet Romeo for lunch. Very nice guy, back to hotel. More you know what. Not a money boy.

Day 3 evening - met another guy for dinner - but we didn't click. He took the news well that, after dinner, that was it. So, back to Boys of Bangkok and offed the same two boys AND their friend. Out for dinner together, loads of drinks, a great bar crawl guided by the boys - then just one boy back to hotel.

Day 4 - the lunch guy from day 3 didn't show as planned (he did call later to apologise). Writing this before checking out of hotel. Got a couple of hours to kill so will probably find a place for a massage (there is a place next door to Boys of Bangkok where the massage boys hang around outside). Think I will try there.

So, all in all, I had a great time - lots of food, lots of drinks (mostly) good conversation and great sex.

I have no idea what this all cost (but I seemed to hit the cash machine at least 2 times a day).

Worth it.

I'll be back (if you pardon the Arnie).
P

thrillbill
January 28th, 2012, 15:04
Yes, Crowne Plaza is a great hotel and in a good location for hitting the gay scene in Silom.

January 28th, 2012, 18:57
Seem like you know how to enjoy your life.

orson
January 29th, 2012, 16:26
Yes, Crowne Plaza is a great hotel and in a good location for hitting the gay scene in Silom.

is crowne plaza joiner friendly. i was hesitant to have a joiner last time because the lobby is actually at the 29th floor. and the security will actually push the button for you to go to the elevators to your room.

firecat69
January 29th, 2012, 20:50

is crowne plaza joiner friendly. i was hesitant to have a joiner last time because the lobby is actually at the 29th floor. and the security will actually push the button for you to go to the elevators to your room.

I am constantly amazed about people worrying about Joiners fees. As long as you registered for 2 people, you will never have a problem. I have stayed at all the Marriotts, Hiltons, Intercontinental, Dusits, Sheratons and the Crowne Plaza and have never been stopped. . As long as the boy is dressed cleanly the chance of you being stopped is very low and if you are , you just reply your room is registered for 2 people and that will be the end of it.

January 29th, 2012, 23:44
....As long as you registered for 2 people, you will never have a problem. I .. have never been stopped. . As long as the boy is dressed cleanly ... just reply your room is registered for 2 people and that will be the end of it.

Firecat - I suspect you may be the only person on SGT who, when bringing an unregistered boy back to his hotel, has never had security stop and ask the boy for his ID card.

Apart from Latinpoxxx of course - but he drags them into his hotel, handcuffed, inside a sack - so that doesn't count.

:occasion9:

firecat69
January 30th, 2012, 09:59
....As long as you registered for 2 people, you will never have a problem. I .. have never been stopped. . As long as the boy is dressed cleanly ... just reply your room is registered for 2 people and that will be the end of it.

Firecat - I suspect you may be the only person on SGT who, when bringing an unregistered boy back to his hotel, has never had security stop and ask the boy for his ID card.

Apart from Latinpoxxx of course - but he drags them into his hotel, handcuffed, inside a sack - so that doesn't count.

Well I doubt that is the case since people who frequent the Marriotts or Sheraton etc on Sukhumvit or any of the better Hotels around Silom are used to having a great % of working ladies and boys enter the Hotel. Besides that my point was so what if the security guard asks for ID. Unless you are bringing in an underage boy then he presents the ID and that is the end of it. If you registered for 2 people there can never be a joiner fee. Is it possible some enterprising security guard is trying to get a bribe from you. Possible just ignore him and walk to the elevator and he will disappear .

I recognize this can be problem at some of the cheaper Hotels because they actually charge more for 2 people then 1 in the room. The nicer Hotels inThailand charge the same price for 1 or 2 people in the room and therefore there is never a reason not to reserve the room for 2 people.

Once you do that you can never have a problem unless you consider someone asking for a boys id to be a problem. I do not!!!!

January 30th, 2012, 10:48
I booked the Crowne Plaza for 2 people.

When I checked in, I said that my friend would arrive later. They asked for the name of the second person. I said I can only pronounce and write his first name because his Thai surname is too complicated. This got a laugh from the receptionist. He put the first name into the computer. Only once did the lift button pressing guy ask for a room number which I gave. That was it. No fuss. No drama. As a previous poster said, if the boy is smartly dressed there is no problem.

The other way is to walk past the lifts to the bar, either have a drink or just admire the view and approach the lifts on y our return from the other side. The lift button guy is wrong footed by this rather clever move.

I would stay at Crowne Plaza again - no problem.

firecat69
January 30th, 2012, 13:01
Absolutely. A wink and a Nod. They could care less1

January 30th, 2012, 14:16
I stay at Sathorn Inn when I am in Bangkjok and they never ask to see anyones ID card I bring back with me.

Neal
January 30th, 2012, 16:13
If you ever want a very nice upper class hotel in BKK on the river with many restaurants and rear good VIP service, try Shangri-la.
The same for joiners and once I asked the Asst Gen mgr there why it was so easy and she said to me because if they are your guest, then they are our guest. I love staying there while in BKK and have for about 12 years. My second home. The amenities, views and comforts are just fantastic and there are some other gay people that I do notice there often. My boys are treated with respect, dignity and VIP service.

January 30th, 2012, 16:44
........ with many restaurants and rear good VIP service..........

Ok, so we'll give you the benefit of the doubt here Neal and just ASSUME that the above was just a typo and not perhaps a recommendation of some other private service offered by this VIP hotel ! lol :-)

Oh fuck!! :sign5: Damn spell check!!

a447
January 30th, 2012, 17:23
I always stay at the Rose Hotel. One of the main reasons is that they take the boy's ID card and give it back when he leaves. As I'm bringing back unknown guys to my room, I see this as a sort of insurance policy for guests staying in the hotel. It's a positive, not a negative for me.

I'm heading back to LOS in April but will now consider another hotel,as the past couple of times I've had problems with noisy air-conditioners. In one room I had to sleep with the aircon turned off - it was unbearable. They changed my room as soon as I complained, telling me they always had as problem with that room. I was pissed off that they'd do that to me, considering they have seen my ugly mug many times over the years.

If you know of a hotel that holds the boy's ID card could you please let me know? If it's a decent place I may be able to give the Rose the flick. Shame - it's in an ideal position and the ladies behind the desk are very friendly. And you get a strange look if you don't walk in with a guy!

Daboss wrote:
rear good VIP service

No good for me - I'm a top.

martin911
January 30th, 2012, 18:47
If you ever want a very nice upper class hotel in BKK on the river with many restaurants and rear good VIP service, try Shangri-la.
The same for joiners and once I asked the Asst Gen mgr there why it was so easy and she said to me because if they are your guest, then they are our guest. I love staying there while in BKK and have for about 12 years. My second home. The amenities, views and comforts are just fantastic and there are some other gay people that I do notice there often. My boys are treated with respect, dignity and VIP service.

Yes the Shangri-la is a very nice place indeed --ive never actually stayed in it but go there reg for lunch/brunch esp if im in Bkk on a Sunday
On my first visit there a few years ago was on a Sunday ,and they had set up a (small) brunch over to the left of the small dance floor just off the lobby,
Around 3/4 pm the live music started and a lot off very odd looking (to my eyes ) couples started dancing around the dancefloor ,ballroom style dancing

The reason the couples looked odd was that 90% of them comprised of middle to elderly aged Thai ladies (very hi-so ) dripping in jewels,and all sort of garish makeup and dresses --paired with slim handsome 20ish thai guys --,and there seemed to be a lot of competing going on between the couples

As there was almost no Thai guys of the same age as the ladies i was a little flummoxed as to what was going on -- one thought that i had was that this is was where the rich Thai ladies come with their gigolos (well the rich Thai men have them ,why cant the ladies !! )and show them off to their other lady friends !!!
Its Thailand --anything can happen here right ??
I asked one of the beautiful floor staff was this indeed the case (gigolos ) and she shreiked with laughter !!!(she saw me a few times there on other sundays and als smiled broadly at the simple Farang !!)
It was just simple dance lessons !!!! -- and one of the dance instructors (paul ) long grey pony tailed guy can be reg seen in DJ station ,2nd floor !!

All in all its a nice place to relax and while away the hours of a Sunday afternoon !!-- and watch how some of Thai society enjoys themselves

iwonderwhy
January 30th, 2012, 20:26
After years of visiting Thailand and never having any incidents with joiner fees, I was finally starting to think this was just one of those myths that resurfaces every now and then. You can imagine how shocked I was during a recent stay at the new Hilton in Pattaya when I was challenged for bringing someone back to my room. This hotel has a second sky lobby like the Crowne Plaza and it's difficult to pass to the elevators without being noticed by the reception staff and security. One late night after going to NAB with my Thai friend, we were stopped in the upper reception area. The reception clerk called us over to the front desk and asked if my friend was a guest. He was dressed and behaved appropriately. When I calmly replied that I had made my reservation for 2 people, the clerk said all guests must be registered and if I wanted my friend to stay he would need to be registered to my room. She required that he provide his ID to be registered and I would be responsible for any charges to the room, etc. Alternatively, they would kindly allow him to stay the evening for a joiners fee of 1000 baht. Although I hate to express anger when in Thailand and especially in front of my friend, I was furious and realized this was a way to rip off guests. I requested to speak to the manager and refused to pay the fee. After a very heated exchange, she let us pass. When I checked out a couple of days later, I saw the pile of slips from all the guests who had paid joiners fees ---- judging by the slips, most of the rooms must have paid the fee. Although it's a beautiful hotel, I would never stay there again.

January 30th, 2012, 21:03
Iwonderwhy - Are you sure you didn't imagine this?

I mean, according to Firecat, Pete9999, and BrisbaneGuy, this type of thing never happens :laughing3:

Clearly, from what they say, the Hilton must have descended to being a "low-class" hotel and the boy must have been dressed either in rags or in drag, in order to attract such unusual attention :evil4:

My experience is that coming back to your hotel at night with an unregistered guest will (+90% of the time) result in being stopped and asked to produce the boys ID. We could play word games over whether it's the farang or the boy who is stopped or what "stopped" actually means - but the result is the same.

As far as joiner's fees are concerned I have never paid one, but it has been tried on me (without success). Any time I book a hotel nowadays I always Email them with a proposed booking (double room or suite) and ask for an assurance that there is no joiner fee. I feel no shame or embarassment in asking - why should I - they can decline my business if they wish.
When I receive that assurance I print it out and bring it with me in case of future argument.

iwonderwhy
January 30th, 2012, 21:44
Good point, scottish-guy. I'm sure the Hilton Pattaya would respond affirmatively regarding their joiners fee policy if someone were to ask in advance. They were quite clear about it with me after confronting me. I just think most people are like the other posters and have wrongfully assumed these joiners fees don't exist. I typically stay at one of a handful of hotels which I'm familiar with. Staying at the Hilton was a special indulgence making the joiners fee even more irritating.

January 31st, 2012, 02:16
I find the breeder's "Pattaya Secrets" forum a mine of information on which hotels charge joiner's fees - the str8s find it just as annoying as we old queens do.

firecat69
January 31st, 2012, 07:12
Scottish-guy

You seem to have a hard time comprehending? I said I have never been stopped and I never have and I have stayed at 30 different Hotels all over Thailand. I did not say no one has ever been stopped. The thread is about joiner fees and I was specific that if you made the reservation for 2 , you never had to worry about a joiners fee. Could you be asked for ID ? Of course you could . I have been asked for ID in NYC when I was alone. What is the problem with that?

In rare occasions such as the above Hilton post you could be asked to register your guest. Again I see no problem with that unless you are ashamed of your guest or he or she is not of legal age. The Marriott in Pattaya always preferred that you register your guest and most of the time I would acommadate them although sometimes it was easier to slip the security guard at the elevator 100 baht. They made their policy clear on check in and that it was for the protection of the guest.

Frankly I quite like the Hotel having security information. It lowers the chance to near zero that any guest will be tempted to walk away with something that is not theirs.

Again never a joiners fee. And Lwonderwhy there was no joiners fee for you at the Hilton either unless you refused to register your guest. If you elect not to register your guest then you can hardly complain about joiner fees. Your decision!!

January 31st, 2012, 08:32
I mean, according to Firecat, Pete9999, and BrisbaneGuy, this type of thing never happens Dont misrepresent what I said you scotch git all I said was it didnt happen to me at Sathorn Inn when I took boys back there and I was commenting on your previous staement that olly frecat had had that experience.

January 31st, 2012, 15:18
I mean, according to Firecat, Pete9999, and BrisbaneGuy, this type of thing never happens Dont misrepresent what I said you scotch git all I said was it didnt happen to me at Sathorn Inn when I took boys back there and I was commenting on your previous staement that olly frecat had had that experience.

Don't back away from what you posted you antipodean arsehole - Firecat said it never happened, I said I doubted that, and you backed him up directly, with your Sathorn Inn story

I stay at Sathorn Inn when I am in Bangkjok and they never ask to see anyones ID card I bring back with me.

So, up yours.

:laughing3:

firecat69
January 31st, 2012, 17:44
Don't back away from what you posted you antipodean arsehole - Firecat said it never happened, I said I doubted that, and you backed him up directly, with your Sathorn Inn story

So, up yours.

:laughing3:[/quote]

You must be mentally handicapped. I wrote: :" I am constantly amazed about people worrying about Joiners fees. As long as you registered for 2 people, you will never have a problem. I have stayed at all the Marriotts, Hiltons, Intercontinental, Dusits, Sheratons and the Crowne Plaza and have never been stopped. . As long as the boy is dressed cleanly the chance of you being stopped is very low and if you are , you just reply your room is registered for 2 people and that will be the end of it."

It is plain I said I have never been stopped not that no one has ever been stopped. In fact in the next sentence I say that the chance of being stopped is very low which actually means I believe it is possible someone will be stopped. Who cares? There will be no Joiners fee and no problem as long as you booked the room for 2 people. If you have a problem with showing your guests ID or registering him then that is your problem.
If that is the Hotel policy I am happy to comply but I will never have to pay a joiners fee which is what the question was about!!!

English must not be your first language or you would stop looking so stupid in repeating things that don't represent what was said!!

January 31st, 2012, 18:36
You must be mentally handicapped. I wrote: :" I am constantly amazed about people worrying about Joiners fees. As long as you registered for 2 people, you will never have a problem.

Obviously I lag behind you in the mentally handicapped stakes:

See your own quote above - notice the words "you" & "never" and notice the FULL STOP after the word "problem".

Your statement is clear and unequivocal - if you (the reader) have a room for 2 people you (the reader) will never have a problem - that is exactly what you said!
It is clear in that sentence that you are telling the reader what will or will not happen to them, not what has happened to you

What you subsequently wrote (contradicting what you had already written) - to the effect that the chances of being stopped were "low" (after previously saying "never"), is neither here nor there in my opinion. I am tackling you on your own statement that a problem would never arise

No amount of backtracking or twisting or can alter what you actually posted.

:bis:

Manforallseasons
January 31st, 2012, 19:23
Seems like firecat69 has some anger management issues.

firecat69
January 31st, 2012, 20:10
No anger issues. I can't stand people who misstate other peoples words.

"the clerk said all guests must be registered and if I wanted my friend to stay he would need to be registered to my room. She required that he provide his ID to be registered and I would be responsible for any charges to the room, etc. Alternatively, they would kindly allow him to stay the evening for a joiners fee of 1000 baht."

There was no problem except of his own making. The clerk is clear register your guest or pay a joiners fee. Exactly what I said , you will never pay a joiners fee if you reserve the room for 2 people. Any problem was of his own making not because of the Hotel.

Try to read carefully Scottish-Guy and you might be able to understand that!!!

newalaan
January 31st, 2012, 20:31
No anger issues. I can't stand people who misstate other peoples words.Unfortunately two of the tolerated trolls (still) here like a stir-up firecat69, your answers were perfectly clear to 'normal' posters and obviously the 'anger management' comment from 'femmeforallseasons' was a deliberate attempt to flame. When these trolls can offer up as many helpful and informative posts as you have done on a regular basis over the years then perhaps they will be able to justify a few sniping comments here and there, as opposed to that level of post being about their main/only 'contribution' to this forum.

Fortunately one has me on 'ignore' which is a real blessing as he cannot read my posts and therefore I don't have to put up with his pedantic, arrogant underlining nonsense in his replies as if others cannot already understand his ramblings.

I see you posted an excellent trip report/review on Gaybuttblog, it is something we could have done with here also Firecat69, unless i missed it on a thread here..

January 31st, 2012, 21:39
Who cares who or what you can or can't stand - certainly not me.

I see you have now moved on to arguing over the content of Iwonderwhy's post - I can only assume you have decided to give up flogging a dead horse trying to argue about the content of your own post.

The facts of the matter are:

1) Iwonderwhy reserved and (on arrival) registered a room at the Hilton Hotel for 2 people
2) He brought a "companion" back
3) He was stopped and the boy's ID was demanded
4) He was given the choice of allowing the boy free rein on his Hotel bill, or paying 1000B joiners fee.
5) After an argument, both were allowed to pass without either of the two options being imposed.

This is precisely the problem you said would never happen.

iwonderwhy
January 31st, 2012, 23:05
I certainly don't want to wade any deeper into any disagreement here, although I find these forum disputes amusing because I can never understand the point.

:tif:

Anyway, just to clarify my experience which was provided as informational only. Yes, I could have avoided the joiners fee if I would have registered my companion and my reservation was for 2 people. I didn't want to register him partly because of the minimal risk of financial responsibility but primarily because it would have precluded me from bringing back someone else on a later night. I don't think (although I really don't know) I could register my companion for just one night and register someone else the next night.

If you're travelling with your bf or someone you plan to spend your entire stay with, then you could certainly register your companion and avoid the joiners fee.

This was the only time I've experienced being charged a "joiners fee." The clerk tried to argue this policy was for my own safety and the joiners fee was an administrative charge. Of course, I could understand the hotel holding my companion's ID for my safety but charging me a fee for this service was completely a rip-off.

January 31st, 2012, 23:19
Don't worry - it will never happen again.

:sign5:

February 1st, 2012, 03:32
joiners fee " a rip off?"
As a business person I really don't think I would look at it that way. A person gets quoted a rate for their stay and it is based on how many people will be utilizing the room even for short times. You look at as a "administrative fee". I look at it as a fee similar to excess baggage weight from the airline. Excess weight is excess fuel consumed or you could really look at it as you paid for ONE person and another person will be utilizing the hotel's shower facilities, consuming more towels etc along with administrative fees to facilitate the extra paperwork. Just my thought on it but it really doesn't make a hoot.

latintopxxx
February 1st, 2012, 03:45
girls...relax...take a pill or two....you should all know by now that scotty boy is always right and always has the last word...and is able to copy paste reams of data to support his viewpoint....must be very tiresome and lonely to be so intellectually superior...surrounded by plebs....

February 1st, 2012, 04:35
.. scotty boy .. is able to copy paste reams of data to support his viewpoint........

Kindly indicate where I have copied/pasted reams of data - unless you are counting "quotations" when responding to other posters.

As a447 would tell you - put up or shut up.

I'm waiting.

Manforallseasons
February 1st, 2012, 12:08
Fortunately one has me on 'ignore' which is a real blessing as he cannot read my posts and therefore I don't have to put up with his pedantic, arrogant underlining nonsense in his replies as if others cannot already understand his ramblings. (quote)newalaan

Can't understand why anyone would put you on ignore, I've always found your rants amusing!

newalaan
February 1st, 2012, 16:55
joiners fee " a rip off?"Of course it's a rip-off! Justme, even you can't really believe the charge is justified! They charge a double/twin room rate for single occupancy when you book/buy the room, then have the nerve to charge a further 'joiner's' fee on top! Have you ever received a discount for booking a room in a Thai hotel from the standard room price (based and costed on a double) when you tell them it will be for single occupancy? Never! (yes i'm sure some nit-picker will give instances where they did get a single occpancy room and price, but in general they're cost is based on double occupancy). Your example of excess wieght/excess fuel in comparison to consuming towles (do you and your friends really eat them?)and using too much water...doesn't hold errr...water, many customers in Thai hotels have more than one (multiple) showers daily even if staying there alone.
When this troll (femmeforallseasons)can offer up as many helpful and informative posts as you (firecat69)have done on a regular basis over the years then perhaps he will be able to justify a few sniping comments here and there, as opposed to that level of post being about their main/only 'contribution' to this forum.
Can't understand why anyone would put you on ignore, I've always found your rants amusing! Thanks for proving my point, boy are you dim.

February 1st, 2012, 17:13
No Newalaan, you don't eat them and I would like to keep our discussion on the obvious side rather than the silly. No, again you don't eat them but it is MORE to wash. More towels for two than one, more water for showers for two rather than one. Joiners fees or double occupancy because many have their tricks stay over and they are allowed free breakfasts. Up to you if you throw them out before morning.
More amenities used for two rather than for one. More bars of soap, free shampoo etc in the bathrooms that will be consumed by one rather than free amenities for two. Yes this is what I believe and I feel it is justifiable and yes, in most places when I get a room I get a different rate for one than two for ALL the reasons above but especially breakfasts.

February 1st, 2012, 18:33
I just don't get this argument - if i book a double room and do not specify "single occupancy" then the price charged is on the basis that there will/may be 2 people washing/drying/crapping/breakfasting (not necessarily in that order).

Why then, since I have already paid for TWO people, ought I to accept an additional charge when I bring the second person (whoever it may be that night) back to the hotel?

I don't expect a REFUND if I don't have a second person in the room and eating breakfast next day - so why should the Hotel expect an extra payment if I do?

If I have paid for single occupancy, then I see the argument - but not if I have paid for double occupancy (which I always do, precisely to avoid this scenario)

These potential problems are why I always book well in advance and ask specifically if the Hotel has a Joiners Fee policy and what the breakfast situation is - it may seem pedantic, but there is nothing worse than having a scene in the Hotel lobby at 2am when you're full of whisky and are liable to lose the plot altogether. Even when re-booking a Hotel I've used previously I get everything in writing before reserving, in case there has been a policy change. I just don't need the hassle.

a447
February 1st, 2012, 19:23
Scottish-guy wrote:
Kindly indicate.......

Waiting.......

Beachlover
February 1st, 2012, 21:02

My experience is that coming back to your hotel at night with an unregistered guest will (+90% of the time) result in being stopped and asked to produce the boys ID.
Are you serious? 90%? Can't dispute your personal experience but there's no way that statistic is true for everyone.

And actually... I've never been stopped in Bangkok either. The only time I've been stopped in Thailand is at a hotel in Phuket and that was quite a few years ago - funnily enough, Phuket is the only place where I've ever brought a prostitute back. I've stayed in over a dozen hotels since then, invited plenty of normal guys back to my room and never been stopped. Don't even get asked for ID.

It's actually quite nice walking through the nice air conditioned lobby at 3am in the morning and having all these lovely staff wai and smile my guest and I. :happy7:

Having said that, lately, I've been registering my BF on the same day as checking in so he gets a key card to use the facilities and access parking etc.

I am constantly amazed about people worrying about Joiners fees. As long as you registered for 2 people, you will never have a problem. I have stayed at all the Marriotts, Hiltons, Intercontinental, Dusits, Sheratons and the Crowne Plaza and have never been stopped. . As long as the boy is dressed cleanly the chance of you being stopped is very low and if you are , you just reply your room is registered for 2 people and that will be the end of it.
It doesn't matter if you've registered for two people. They usually reserve the right to charge for any guest not registered on check in. So they CAN charge if they want to. Only way to stop this is register them on check in.

Having said that, the reality is, just as you say, if the guy you're bringing back looks "normal" and you're not causing any problems, they'll let you through.

Personally, if I'm stopped, I'm fine with paying the 1,000 joiners fee if they have stated this as their policy in advance. As long as their courteous to my guest. I accept that I always had the option of choosing another place if I wasn't happy with this policy. I don't bother checking if they charge a joiners fee as I usually would choose that hotel anyway (i.e. joiners fee won't deter me from a good hotel). Plus, when I'm paying whatever for the hotel, an extra 1,000 baht is insignificant, especially when internet charges, food, drinks, spa, room service etc. are all thrown in.

Joiners fees are really no big deal and not the end of the world! No reason to be embarrassed or something.

No Newalaan, you don't eat them and I would like to keep our discussion on the obvious side rather than the silly. No, again you don't eat them but it is MORE to wash. More towels for two than one, more water for showers for two rather than one. Joiners fees or double occupancy because many have their tricks stay over and they are allowed free breakfasts. Up to you if you throw them out before morning.
More amenities used for two rather than for one. More bars of soap, free shampoo etc in the bathrooms that will be consumed by one rather than free amenities for two. Yes this is what I believe and I feel it is justifiable and yes, in most places when I get a room I get a different rate for one than two for ALL the reasons above but especially breakfasts.
I get your point and I WOULD agree with you that a second person in the room is going to cost the business extra. Except for the fact that we're talking about people who have usually booked and paid a fee for a room for TWO PEOPLE already!

Beachlover
February 1st, 2012, 21:09
imagine how shocked I was during a recent stay at the new Hilton in Pattaya when I was challenged for bringing someone back to my room. This hotel has a second sky lobby like the Crowne Plaza and it's difficult to pass to the elevators without being noticed by the reception staff and security. One late night after going to NAB with my Thai friend, we were stopped in the upper reception area. The reception clerk called us over to the front desk and asked if my friend was a guest. He was dressed and behaved appropriately. When I calmly replied that I had made my reservation for 2 people, the clerk said all guests must be registered and if I wanted my friend to stay he would need to be registered to my room. She required that he provide his ID to be registered and I would be responsible for any charges to the room, etc. Alternatively, they would kindly allow him to stay the evening for a joiners fee of 1000 baht. Although I hate to express anger when in Thailand and especially in front of my friend, I was furious and realized this was a way to rip off guests. I requested to speak to the manager and refused to pay the fee. After a very heated exchange, she let us pass. When I checked out a couple of days later, I saw the pile of slips from all the guests who had paid joiners fees ---- judging by the slips, most of the rooms must have paid the fee. Although it's a beautiful hotel, I would never stay there again.
Really?! The question is, did they inform you of this policy on check in?

I stayed at the Pattaya Hilton last year and was never stopped bringing guests back, despite being clearly informed of the joiners fee.

I stayed there for four nights. When I checked in, they made it clear there's a fee for any unregistered guests I bring back. I suspect they said this because I had booked for two but there was only one of me checking in. My BF was working and could only join me on the last two nights.

On the first night, I went to NAB nightclub and met a bunch of local guys there. When it closed, I suggested they all come back to my place for a drink and to watch the sun rise. My room had a huge balcony with a couple of daybeds (one inside, one outside) and a big outdoor bathtub. Plus a gorgeous view overlooking Shitsville from 30 floors up. One of the guys had a car and drove us all back to the Hilton. So out of the lift and into the lobby I walked with 4-5 guys. None of the staff at the reception desk did anything and I'm pretty sure we got a smile and a wai from at least one of the one of the staff who were hanging around between the first set of lifts and the second.

In my room, I put some music on and everyone chilled out on the balcony. I had just enough glasses/mugs for everyone, someone had some leftover whiskey and I pulled some beers out of the minibar fridge. Chilling out and watching the sun rise over Pattaya with these guys was awesome!

On the third night, my BF arrived. I met him in the driveway downstairs and we had no problem getting to my room. I had already requested three key cards on check in so I didn't bother to register him at reception as I had a spare to give him. No problems at all during our stay...

February 1st, 2012, 22:28
So let me get this straight - you booked and paid for accomodation and breakfast for 2 people for 4 nights?

For two of those nights there was only one person using the room - but had you brought back a "second person" to use the accomodation & breakfasts you had already paid for, you would have been expected to pay an additional Joiners fee for him?

I'm sorry, I simply would not stay under those conditions - effectively they are charging you twice for the second occupant and if that isn't a rip-off I don't know what is.

lonelywombat
February 2nd, 2012, 02:53
Beachlover admits to be an asian and bringing back Thais or other asians to his room , i believe would be seen in a different light, to a caucasion bringing back the same Thai boys.

latintopxxx
February 2nd, 2012, 03:47
Beachlover admits to be an asian and bringing back Thais or other asians to his room , i believe would be seen in a different light, to a caucasion bringing back the same Thai boys.

so Asians don't have sex???...unless he's Thai he will not get away with it...Thai's can spot a non-Thai from 50 meters....and hotel receptionists /securuty recognise or even know the boys by name...not like they're vestial virgins and it's their first time in any hotel within 5km of soi twilight....like hello...lights are on but nobodys home...

lonelywombat
February 2nd, 2012, 05:09
..and hotel receptionists /securuty recognise or even know the boys by name...

not like they're vestial virgins and it's their first time in any hotel within 5km of soi twilight....

Let me see there are at least 1000 money boys in BKK bars and several times that, who are gay but dont work in bars, and if every single one was taken off to a 5 star hotel every night, left a photo with his name printed on it, phoned in advance, absolutely no chance that hotel staff would recognise them or know their name . Might be in the dumps you stay at and the desperates you pick up!

.like hello...lights are on but nobodys home...

you are right . no one is at home at your place

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2012, 09:00
unless he's Thai he will not get away with it...Thai's can spot a non-Thai from 50 meters....
Definitely not true... Thais can't always tell if you're Thai or not. Most times when a Thai has tried to chat me up in DJ Station and other bars over there, they've started by blurting out some Thai, which I don't understand. They think I'm Chi-Thai.

Quite often in shops and markets around Thailand, if I don't say anything first, they assume I'm Thai. Sometimes when they greet me, I reply, "sawasdee kub" and they still try to speak to me in Thai, which surprises me because I'm sure my "sawasdee kub" doesn't sound as a Thai would say it.

Even in hotels! Sometimes when a hotel staff member gets in the lift with me and tries to say something nice (I assume they're asking, "how is your day" or something) they sometimes say it in Thai and then laugh when I say I can't speak Thai... "Ooooh sorry, because you look like a Thai people".
If you think this is all because I look Thai... it probably isn't because the exact same thing happens in half a dozen other Asian countries! :kap:

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2012, 09:06
So let me get this straight - you booked and paid for accomodation and breakfast for 2 people for 4 nights?

For two of those nights there was only one person using the room - but had you brought back a "second person" to use the accomodation & breakfasts you had already paid for, you would have been expected to pay an additional Joiners fee for him?

I'm sorry, I simply would not stay under those conditions - effectively they are charging you twice for the second occupant and if that isn't a rip-off I don't know what is.
Firstly, in the case of the Hilton above, I did pay for two but that didn't include breakfast so that would not have been the issue IF they'd wanted a joiner fee (they never charged me one).

Secondly, I've never actually been charged a joiner fee but as I explained, I would pay if asked.

It comes down to principle...They've made their policy clear upfront... I've had every opportunity to select another hotel but I didn't because I want to stay in theirs... so if I bring an unregistered guest back and they ask for a joiner fee, I'm not going to fight them and make a big scene over it.

If you look at the situation objectively, then you'll see that's the RIGHT thing to do... In your case it's different because you always ask in advance whether they charge a joiner fee and you never book in if they say they do. If they were then to charge you a joiner fee, then THEY would be in the wrong. Because they misled you.

Thirdly, yes I think it's a rip off. I'd be slightly less inclined to stay with them in future if they did that. But to be honest, 1,000 baht wouldn't have been a big deal at the Hilton. I was already paying 9,000 for the room plus 2,000-3,000 a day for room service, bar and poolside meals and drinks...

There's so few good hotels in Pattaya that I would probably still come back to the Hilton if they charged me a joiner fee... nothing beats that hotel.

February 2nd, 2012, 15:35
...It comes down to principle...

... yes I think it's a rip off..... But to be honest, 1,000 baht wouldn't have been a big deal at the Hilton. I was already paying 9,000 for the room plus 2,000-3,000 a day for room service, bar and poolside meals and drinks...

:sign5: Well I'm sorry my dear but your "principles" seem very elastic!
Your reasons for being willing to pay twice to have a second person in the room seem to boil down to it being a small sum in the Hilton scheme of things, and the fact they informed you that they intended to rip you off when you checked in!!
That's not a principle at all - that's being willing to drop your pants and bend over because it's relatively cheap and infinitely less hassle than arguing the principle.

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2012, 20:47
No... it's called accepting someone's terms of business and having the integrity not to kick up shit and have a hissy fit when they're clearly in the right! :happy7:

If I book with them, I accept their terms and conditions. I don't like this particular policy but I choose to use them anyway because the downside of this policy is outweighed by the upsides of staying with them. In this case, there's just no equal competitor to the Hilton in Pattaya, in my opinion.

I don't know for sure why they choose to charge a joiners fee but I suspect it's more about discouraging that kind of behaviour (bringing back unregistered guests) rather than covering the additional costs of the second guest. I guess the joiner fee is designed to discourage that behaviour, while not stopping it altogether - i.e. they offer some flexibility for those who're willing to pay for it.

In any case... they didn't charge me and nor has any other hotel in Thailand (even the one in Phuket when I was stopped).

iwonderwhy
February 2nd, 2012, 21:57
In my case, the Hilton did not tell me there would be a joiners fee on checking in. I guess they may have had a reason to explain the policy in your case Beachlover as you explained or perhaps their staff are inconsistent in explaining policies to guests.

In the end, I suppose this joiners policy may not be consistently applied. I stopped by the room with the same guy after dinner (around 9pm) for a drink the same evening and there was no issue. It was only when I came back after NAB that they stopped me.

This is a nice source of revenue for the Hilton. My room was about 4500 baht per night so an additional 1000 baht is a 22% increase in revenue for minimal cost (breakfast wasn't included for us and the variable costs for the additional guests would have been minimal). As I mentioned previously, I later saw piles of joiners fee slips at the reception desk.

Yes, the Hilton Pattaya is nice and has a great view but there are plenty of other wonderful hotels in Pattaya. My preferred hotel for the occasional trip to Pattaya is the Dusit d2 Baraquda which is conveniently located and I've only had impeccable service. They also have a great daily shuttle service to the Dusit Thani Bangkok which makes transfers between Bangkok and Pattaya very convenient.

February 2nd, 2012, 22:12
No... it's called accepting someone's terms of business and having the integrity not to kick up shit and have a hissy fit when they're clearly in the right!...

How is advising you that you may be charged twice for the 2nd person in a Double room being in the right?

Sure you may have agreed to it, but that doesn't make it any less of a rip-off as you yourself agreed:

... yes I think it's a rip off....

I give up arguing with you over this, Beachy - you clearly have more money than sense.
You're quite content to be ripped off as long as you're are told in advance - what a f*cking joke.

Beachlover
February 5th, 2012, 05:38
In my case, the Hilton did not tell me there would be a joiners fee on checking in.
Ah... fair enough. If I had been in your shoes, I would've asked to see where it details the joiner fee in their T&C (terms and conditions).

If there's no mention I would not pay it (their wrong for not disclosing). If it's disclosed there then I would pay it (my problem for not reading it).

In the end, I suppose this joiners policy may not be consistently applied.
Exactly... I think it's more a customer behaviour influence mechanism for these hotels. They may wish to keep customers from this "segment" of the market low as they want to keep the hotel family friendly... I'm guessing a few customers from this segment is fine but if they dominate the hotel, it will completely put off families and more conservative types... Just a guess.

This is a nice source of revenue for the Hilton. My room was about 4500 baht per night so an additional 1000 baht is a 22% increase in revenue for minimal cost (breakfast wasn't included for us and the variable costs for the additional guests would have been minimal). As I mentioned previously, I later saw piles of joiners fee slips at the reception desk.
Yeah, fair enough. I see how it can be a significant source of revenue but probably not their main motive. 1,000 may have been 22% of your room rate but compared with the revenue they take on the whole it wouldn't be much because only a small percentage of guests would be paying them. Let's say they take 12,000 in joiner fees each night. That would be small change compared to what they take in total from all the rooms they have filled.

Yes, the Hilton Pattaya is nice and has a great view but there are plenty of other wonderful hotels in Pattaya. My preferred hotel for the occasional trip to Pattaya is the Dusit d2 Baraquda which is conveniently located and I've only had impeccable service. They also have a great daily shuttle service to the Dusit Thani Bangkok which makes transfers between Bangkok and Pattaya very convenient.
Yeah, D2 would've been my second choice too... I don't think anything else offers what the Hilton does though. Royal Cliff is old/dated and on the dark side of the moon. Dusit Thani is old/worn and too far away and cut off from anything. Marriott looks nice and has a good location but is also getting oldish and the pool's not as nice. Centara is too far away and cut off and looks like more of a kids/family thing. D2 is four stars. It's new, has a great location, has nice rooms and an ok pool but is a low rise property so you don't really get any sort of view from the rooms. Hilton's the only five star offering high-rise views, incredible pool and gorgeous room with the outdoor bathtub overlooking Pattaya and all. Nothing else comes close.

The Deluxe Plus room would be great for parties... you could have 15-20 people on that massive balcony. Fill the enormous bathtub (large enough for 4-5 people), have everyone in boardshorts and call it a pool party... woot!
:party

Beachlover
February 5th, 2012, 05:43
Scottish... I give up too. :drunken:

I honestly think this is just a hot button topic for you. You have strong emotional feelings about joiner fees so it's difficult for you to be rational and objective.

How is advising you that you may be charged twice for the 2nd person in a Double room being in the right?

Sure you may have agreed to it, but that doesn't make it any less of a rip-off as you yourself agreed:
Yes... as I said, if I agree to their terms and conditions of business I don't go back and try to weasel out of them by kicking up shit later.

As for being "charged twice for the 2nd person in a Double room"... It's been said over and over again on this thread and you're not getting it...

1. There's a difference between a registered guest and an unregistered guest

2. The joiner fee isn't there to cover the additional cost of an extra person. It's for bringing back an "unregistered guest".

3. I think it's primarily there as a mechanism to discourage this kind of behaviour. They charge an extra fee. If you're willing to pay that fee (to stay at their hotel) then fine. If not, then stay elsewhere.

I resent being charged credit card transaction fees, online booking fees, 10% service charge and all sorts of other things I think are a rip off... I still patronise these businesses because it's not worth avoiding them altogether over one little thing.