PDA

View Full Version : The SPICE Sensation.......

catawampuscat
May 13th, 2006, 07:49
I was also very impressed with the new Spice magazine.. It looks great and is an asset to the gay community in Thailand.. I also like the new name
much better than sticky rice.. I picked my copy up at Niddy's Nook and haven't had a chance to read all of it yet.. I winced when I saw an elderly
drag queen photo of the advise columnist but I guess a gay mag has to cover the drag scene to be all inclusive.. I wonder who would take advise from
someone who looks so outrageous but I have to lighten up.. KUDOS !!!!!!

wowpow
May 13th, 2006, 09:21
Where's the Beef? It's been offed the bone.

Our Mother Hen is the glorious 'Darika' not Danka (a brand of decaf instant coffee? pronounced with a lisp)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/000014.jpg

not that I'm a spelling snob? but people do like their name vaguely correct.

LMTU sure has his heart in the right place and is appropriately excited by this new Thai National Publication and the website ain't half bad either. I think that the website will become an important asset to Thai Gay Tourism - Bravo!

We can all be pleased that Phil took it in hand!

May 13th, 2006, 10:16
I was also very impressed with the new Spice magazine.. I picked my copy up at Niddy's Nook and haven't had a chance to read all of it yet..

I've been told that the new edition folds into a barf bag - how convenient when you're at....

Go with love, grow with love.

May 13th, 2006, 16:46
The stunning dish with the red parasol is not the advice columnist. Its Phil herself. Long live SPICE.

wowpow
May 13th, 2006, 23:34
Curious leap of topic?

May 14th, 2006, 06:25
Oh by the way if you look in the first page contents, your see agony aunt name as danka....

Not so. If you get a magnifying glass to it you will see that the 'r' and the 'i' are so close together that they could easily be mistaken for a 'n'. But there is definitely a dot over the character that should be the i.
Overall I think the magazine is very good but my gripe with it is that it is printed in a small font size and in a grey colour ink, not black on white, and since a lot of the grey print is on a coloured background this makes it difficult to read especially in a dim light. Most bars where you can pick up the magazine are dimly lit and I could not read a lot of it until I got it home.

My verdict: A very good first effort and I'm sure it will succeed. :alien:

May 14th, 2006, 13:07
a handy sized little mag and informative about the gay scene.

I don't think anyone has given any crit' of the mag yet but if I can have my little two penneth I would suggest that the editor reconsider some of the 'colour' pages. Rather than have black text printed on a white background, the editor or design team have gone for black text printed on a variety of different coloured pages. I am in my 40's with relatively good vision and I found some of the text either hard to read or sending me dizzy with the colourful backgrounds overwhelming my senses. Some of the colours worked ok (I think the salmon or taupe).

I have to congratulate on the map of Bangkok with the table of contents/listings broken down by area and then the places listed numerically rather than alphebitically. It is much easier to find a place this way than looking through a whole lot of jumbled up numbers. Why then is the same not carried out for the map of Pattaya?

Finally, if possible can you go back to either giving the name of the guys in your pic' gallery or the place they work as this little bit of extra info' always encouraged me to go and check out some of the models and venture to places new.

Still a very goood mag' though.