PDA

View Full Version : Chinese tourists, 1 million expected this year

wowpow
May 13th, 2006, 00:03
"Chinese tourist spending rising. Kasikorn Research Centre said at least one million Chinese tourists will visit Thailand this year, generating revenues of 26 billion baht (US$689 million), compared to 800,000 Chinese tourists last year and revenue of 20 billion baht (US$530 million).

KRC said from a tiny market a decade ago, China is now ranked among the top ten biggest markets and is one of the fastest-growing markets for Thai tourism. This reflects the strength of the Chinese economy and the Chinese government policy to encourage its people to travel.

Nevertheless domestic and international factors have played a role in making the Chinese tourist market for Thailand develop in a rather volatile pattern over the last decade. But the overall picture is such that from over 450,000 visitors in 1996, Thailand received nearly double that number last year, receiving over 800,000 Chinese tourists in 2005.

According to statistics collected by the Tourism Authority of Thailand for 2004, some 780,000 Chinese tourists spent over 19 billion baht during their stays in the country. - (TNA)"

So last year 800,000 tourists spent US530 million. That equals US$663 per person. Not big spenders! - YET!

May 13th, 2006, 05:40
1 million is five times the population of Chaing Mai.
If they all go there at the same time, then what? :alien:

May 13th, 2006, 15:06
1 million is five times the population of Chaing Mai.
If they all go there at the same time, then what? :alien:

Where did you get these figures from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai

Chiang Mai Province has an estimated population of about 1.6 million, with some 6-700,000 living in the city of Chiang Mai. The population figures vary a lot: some think that only people living in the "Central District" (Amphoe Muang) of Chiang Mai must be counted as city residents, but Chiang Mai has an undoubted case of suburban sprawl. Is a person living in Mae Jo, or Hang Dong, to be counted as a "resident of Chiang Mai city?" Similar questions apply to New York, Los Angeles, and Tokyo. At the end of the day, however, it is pretty easy to tell when you are in the city of Chiang Mai (pop. 700,000), and when you are out in the sticks of Chiang Mai Province (pop. 1,600,000).

Bob
May 13th, 2006, 21:34
Yes, I consider Hang Dong and Mae Jo part of Chiangmai. Although not technically within the city limits, these and a few other surrounding districts have become part of the surburban sprawl of Chiangmai. I often wonder where they get the population estimates and I presume its from government records of residents within the city; however, I doubt if those figures include a lot of people who don't register as residents as well as a fair number of foreigners and illegal aliens. If you'll check the traffic in the morning, there seems that there are an awful lot of people who live outside the city that are coming into the city to work, to eat and shop, go to the various colleges, etc. I would guess (and it's only a guess) that within an area within 10 miles of the city center, there is well over a million people at any given time.

May 14th, 2006, 03:07
I often wonder where they get the population estimatesThey will be as accurate as any Thai government statistic (i.e not very) and in common with every other authoritarian country will be massaged so as to put the government of the day in the best light possible

catawampuscat
May 15th, 2006, 01:16
It is good for the Thai economy, hotels, restaurants etc. but here in Pattaya, many Chinese travel in large groups by bus and often block the narrow
streets by their sheer numbers.. I think the huge new Chinese restaurant on Second Road next to Royal Garden opened to cater to the Chinese
tourists..They have large numbers of live fish and other creatures of the deep in large tanks and do a lot of cooking outside.. Hotels like Welcome Plaza
have huge parking lots to park the big buses and there seem to be more and more lately.. Sometimes huge groups are led thru Boyztown and one has to wonder what the guides are telling them.. So, we have to share paradise with the newly wealthy (relatively) Chinese and Russians and with the Indian economy booming. lots of Indians as well..If one listens, you can hear Italian, Spanish and of course French and German.. If some good Chinese restaurants open , it would be great.. Some say Pattaya will be overtaken by the millions of Chinese tourists but I think there is room for all, even if it
means living in 80 or 90 story condos............