PDA

View Full Version : 5-Star airline ~ (but forget Economy) ...

Smiles
January 17th, 2012, 10:52
For about ten minutes I was thinking of ditching United Airlines and switching to Cathay Pacific (which flies Vancouver >> Hong Kong >> Bangkok. United having an extra stop in the Land of The Free).

Airtrax ~ for what it's worth ~ rates Cathay as a 5-star airline and United as a 3-star, and although my complaints against United are few and minor I really would like to go direct from Vancouver rather than stop over in Seattle or San Francisco. Cathay provides that, although the long leg is 13 hours+. Oddly, the prices Cathay quotes these days (on their own website as well as Expedia) for my destination are less than United, which has not always been the case.

I fly Economy, though I always splurge a small amount on United with their Economy+ seating where, for 150 extra bucks, one gets quite a lot more leg room. But I'm of a 'normal' height and fairly slim so I have no trouble at all in economy seating, and as well I pay no attention to the food provided ... never eating all I'm offered and more often than not sleeping through at least one of the meals: a feature which Cathay seems to be often lauded.

But after reading the customer comments for Cathay regarding the Economy seating I'm going to rule them out after all. The commentary (two examples below) was 100% loathing for Cathay's new sliding-not-reclining 'shell' seats. One could possibly bear a two hour hop with these puppies, but I'm pretty sure the 13-hour leg would be excruciating.
The commentary is quite devastating and I'm in a quandary as to how Airtrax could even think of rating Cathay as 5-star when confronted with horror comments such as those below (plus 3 pages more on the website) regarding what I would think would be a very major criteria measurement.

"I flew return from Vancouver to Delhi, via Hong Kong, in February. Although there were two different aircraft involved, each with a different seat configuration, the seats were the same - the worst I've ever experienced. Very little legroom, but worst of all, the seats didn't recline. All that could be done was to slide the seat bottom forward, which only gave the illusion of leaning back a bit. This put my back into a painful slumped position, and because the seat back was still upright, my head and neck were pushed forward. Within half an hour I had excruciating back pain, which I couldn't get rid of, regardless of how I positioned myself. On such a long flight as Vancouver - Hong Kong, such seats seem absurd, since it's pretty much impossible to sleep. I was miserable the entire time, and could only pray that the seats between Hong Kong and Delhi would be different. They weren't. When the agonising trip was finally over and I was finally in India, I kept having the awful realisation that I was going to have to sit in the same torturous seats all the way home again."

"Having read these reviews I can only assume the 'shell' seat is unbearable at any height. I am a 5'6"female & travelled with my 15yo son (5'10") and husband (5'9") - all of slim to average build - from Melbourne to Hong Kong. This was our first experience of these seats, and the torture they induce. We each tried to cope with the unnatural shapes the seat contorts your body into by adopting different positions - enduring neck, back and/or tailbone pain as a result. These seats are unquestionably the worst we have ever experienced, I am just glad we left our 6' plus son behind. We assumed this was an old plane/old design; having just visited the Cathay site I am shocked to learn they are being lauded, particularly given all the negative reviews."
http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/Yseat-CX.htm

soi_toi
January 17th, 2012, 11:01
A close friend who works for Cathay and works the Vancouver Hong Kong route told me to fly with another airline. His reason was that I would be uncomfortable in their hard and narrow seats.
However there is hope on the horizon for Cathay as they have announced a premium economy product on this route in the very near future, so perhaps if the price is right, I'll reconsider then.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_CA/ ... d21c39____ (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_CA/aboutus/pressroomdetails?refID=ab7b74e8a8312310VgnVCM62000 007d21c39____)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pong
January 17th, 2012, 17:06
from what I recall from other more knowledgeable boards and someone working for them: yes, they tried for a while these new type of seats and the general outcry and we are not amused of most pax led them to quickly withdraw the scoop. But as you understand, an airline cannot ground all its planes for a new makeover, so its always gradual. Do ot know how far advanced it is. try a board like flyertalk-much better in matters re airlines, tickets and all that. or airlinequality. And DO look after dates for posted bad reviews.

Brad the Impala
January 17th, 2012, 19:37
try a board like flyertalk-much better in matters re airlines, tickets and all that. or airlinequality.

He was quoting from airlinequality, and even helpfully provided a link!!!

sattahip-old
January 18th, 2012, 02:36
Few Sydney Rome economy on Cathay 3 months ago.

Do NOT fly economy as the seats are excruciatingly uncomfortable. All you weight is on you rear with no thigh support.

allieb
January 18th, 2012, 22:23
Cathay have an offer on at the moment here in Saudi, to Bangkok transit Hong Kong.

It's $2,000 US. including taxes Business class. Must be used by March 31st and then you get another free business class ticket inc taxes to be used by June 30th.

You can use the free ticket yourself, or take someone with you or just pass the ticket to a friend.

Check out if this offer is available or comming up in your home country.

By the way an economy Saudi to Bangkok with Cathay is $940 for a one return ticket.

Beachlover
January 18th, 2012, 23:09
Haven't had to fly in those seats but everyone who has tells me they're utterly horrible. I read somewhere that Cathay had acknowledged this and will replace them all...

Anyone tried Cathay's new business class seats yet? Am considering going via Hong Kong for one of my future trips instead of my usual flying via Singapore thing.

Nirvana
January 24th, 2012, 18:24
Frankly Smiles...I have never understood why you as a Canadian would travel to the Exicted States of America to get to Thailand
when there are several options out of Vancouver ...I used Cathay Pacific a couple of times ,terrible seats same as the service ,
then they screwed me out of air miles ...lost a customer .
Air Canada to H.K ..C P 2 hrs to Bangkok (bearable )
I have used Eva Air for the past 6 years ...good service /pleasant staff . Van. to Taipai ...on to BKK
late flight out of Van. gets you into Bkk at midday .

fellow Canuck .

goteed1
January 25th, 2012, 07:15
I flew Cathay Pacific from SFO to BKK because they had a price I couldn't resist. The Shell seat is terrible. Could not sleep in it. Their entertainment system was excellent, the food was really bad. I would avoid them if you can, until they replace those seats.

On the HKG - BKK leg I switched planes to their regular economy seat and it felt soooooooo much better than the shell seat, that I fell asleep in two seconds flat.

Smiles
January 25th, 2012, 09:27
"Frankly Smiles...I have never understood why you as a Canadian would travel to the Exicted States of America to get to Thailand when there are several options out of Vancouver ...I used Cathay Pacific a couple of times ,terrible seats same as the service, then they screwed me out of air miles ...lost a customer . Air Canada to H.K ..C P 2 hrs to Bangkok (bearable ). I have used Eva Air for the past 6 years ...good service /pleasant staff . Van. to Taipai ...on to BKK late flight out of Van. gets you into Bkk at midday ... fellow Canuck" .
Habit I guess, plus I've accumulated a lot of air miles on United. I've tried Eva once (ho hum ... nothing special) and Air Canada once (bloody awful).
I've not got a lot of complaints about United really (unlike many), and I very much enjoy the 2-4 hour stop over in Narita which lets me stretch my legs, have a walk around and, do a little Japanese-Guy oogling (often eye candy in Narita), a cold beer up against a big picture window looking out over the runway ... just like a little kid.
I sleep well in the economy+ seats, thus throwing Cathay onto the reject pile.
Now, I'll probably stay with United as long as they don't go bananas with their prices.