PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With A Stupid Question

January 8th, 2012, 13:41
Hello everyone. Since I am about to have my first trip to Thailand.
I just wanna ask how do I tell someone is gay or not??
Is it OK to ask someone if he is gay in Thailand? Because I really don't wanna be rude. :(

And thank you for your time with this stupid question. ;)

newyorkgeorge
January 8th, 2012, 15:29
Trust me love, you won't need to ask, just look! and to be honest, even if their not gay, for some Baht they will be, "you pay, me gay" as the saying goes!

Neal
January 8th, 2012, 16:23
George could not have said it better!

January 8th, 2012, 16:56
Really?? Are they so obvious.?? And I am sure you are right about the "you pay, me gay" thing.
I know this is gonna sound silly, but what I really want is some company. Like a gay friend. We hang out because we like each other as friend. Because we enjoy each other company. not because I pay you or you pay me.
And it is not even about the money, I am not in any position to judge. But what is the point if they don't mean it. Just make me feel even worse when i look at those fake smile. It is not the trip I expecting. I would rather meet a good friend and go visit the city together than have sex with someone who doesn't even like me. :(
Damn... i sound like a girl.....

Neal
January 8th, 2012, 17:12
You will have a wonderful time in Thailand and there will be many many people who will be happy to spend their time with you from start to finish. and if you give them your email address..... they will be sure to write to you every week. :dontknow:

January 8th, 2012, 17:18
You will have a wonderful time in Thailand and there will be many many people who will be happy to spend their time with you from start to finish. and if you give them your email address..... they will be sure to write to you every week. :dontknow:

Not to mention the Birthday/Xmas cards and presents you will receive from your new Boyfriend.

Thanksgiving too, if you're an American.

Yom Kippur, if you're Jewish.

Etc.

:occasion9:

francois
January 8th, 2012, 21:30
ian; It is ok to ask if he is gay. They will tell you. I have asked and they say , yes 100% if they are. Many more are straight but can also be fun to be with. Don't be shy to ask.

bucknaway
January 8th, 2012, 23:28
The guys in Thailand are no different than the guys from anyplace else in the world. If you find a guy in a commercial sex area than you most likely will find yourself as an employer. If you pick up a guy in a dance club, than it may be a one night stand but if you are fun an attractive to him, he may try to spend more time with you.

Life is a crap-shoot when it comes to finding company. You never know what you found until you found it.

Meeting guys through other guys, or at a private party offers a better chance of making friends with guys who are looking for fun and not money.

Also you may want to buy a gay guide to Thailand. I found that the books "Men Of Thailand" were helpful as a guide.

Brad the Impala
January 9th, 2012, 00:21
Trust me love, you won't need to ask, just look! and to be honest, even if their not gay, for some Baht they will be, "you pay, me gay" as the saying goes!

This is the "Pattaya is Thailand" point of view, where every male or female is purchasable. If the visit is only to Pattaya, then this might be quite accurate, but if you are only going to Pattaya you are missing out on a great experience elsewhere, where you should take this view with a large pinch of salt.

Brad the Impala
January 9th, 2012, 00:48

This is the "Pattaya is Thailand" point of view, where every male or female is purchasable. If the visit is only to Pattaya, then this might be quite accurate, but if you are only going to Pattaya you are missing out on a great experience elsewhere, where you should take this view with a large pinch of salt.

It's often these same people who believe that everyone is purchasable, who also complain about corruption in Thailand in other circumstances, when they have to pay for services that they could have had for free in their own country! The irony is often lost on them.

PeterUK
January 9th, 2012, 09:50
This is the "Pattaya is Thailand" point of view, where every male or female is purchasable.

A friend of mine (who lives in Pattaya!) once assured me that 'most Thais are prepared to dabble in the hospitality industry.' Very decorously put, I thought.

January 9th, 2012, 11:34
Brad I respect your opinion, I really do but I have been to Chang Mai, Koh Samui, Hua Hin and a few other places. While I can agree that not every boy or girl is on stage at a go go bar, I can assure you that the majority of boys outside Pattaya when looked at in a certain way, not only get the hint but want to participate. A many people may know, I wear shirts that say Katoy, Katoy Uen, Katoy Ga, and other sayings all related to being a ladyboy or wanting to pick up boyfriends. I have almost never had a problem with boys inquiring what I would give if they went home with me. Gas station attendants, 7-11 clerks, orderlies in the hospital, and especially Villa Market and Foodland well you name it. I am sure the person who hires at Foodland has to be gay because I have never seen an ugly boy there! If I have one bag he carries it out for me and I coo to him. Yes, I am a slut but back to the topic!
I am sure that in the villages and countryside being a katoy and wanting to pay for sex may be unheard of, but when presented with that option, they learn quickly.

newyorkgeorge
January 9th, 2012, 14:30
[quote=newyorkgeorge]Trust me love, you won't need to ask, just look! and to be honest, even if their not gay, for some Baht they will be, "you pay, me gay" as the saying goes!

It's often these same people who believe that everyone is purchasable, who also complain about corruption in Thailand in other circumstances, when they have to pay for services that they could have had for free in their own country! The irony is often lost on them.[/quote:38fdnb6m]
I never complain about the corruption, in fact i quite like it, gets things done very quickly, not like back home. And trust me, i cannot get a 20 year old guy to have sex with me back home for less than $200 - $300, here 1500 Baht for a quickie, 2500 for a night of passion, bliss!

martin911
January 10th, 2012, 15:47
Brad I respect your opinion, I really do but I have been to Chang Mai, Koh Samui, Hua Hin and a few other places. While I can agree that not every boy or girl is on stage at a go go bar, I can assure you that the majority of boys outside Pattaya when looked at in a certain way, not only get the hint but want to participate. A many people may know, I wear shirts that say Katoy, Katoy Uen, Katoy Ga, and other sayings all related to being a ladyboy or wanting to pick up boyfriends. I have almost never had a problem with boys inquiring what I would give if they went home with me. Gas station attendants, 7-11 clerks, orderlies in the hospital, and especially Villa Market and Foodland well you name it. I am sure the person who hires at Foodland has to be gay because I have never seen an ugly boy there! If I have one bag he carries it out for me and I coo to him. Yes, I am a slut but back to the topic!
I am sure that in the villages and countryside being a katoy and wanting to pay for sex may be unheard of, but when presented with that option, they learn quickly.

Yikes time for me to change my grocery shopping from Foodmarket to Foodland (i hope you dont mind a little extra competition Oh Master !!)

I had a similar thought as you re the personell manager who hired all the checkout guys at a brand new supermarket in Manila near the building where i als stay in .

As i waited in line i could not help but to gawp at the stunners all along the checkout areas - the checkout cashiers/bagging boys -- not one would i turn down to bring home !!!--

It had to have been a gay recruiter !! could not have been just by chance !!

But i have never taken up with a guy from 7-11/hospital /gas station attendents !! --i must not be adventourous enough !!

Beachlover
January 11th, 2012, 11:49
Ian... To answer your question, Thailand isn't too different from other countries in this aspect. It's ok to ask if someone's gay.

I guess if you meet them in a gay bar, gay nightclub or some other gay-oriented setting, you can probably assume they're gay (and it's fine to ask if you're not sure!). If you meet someone elsewhere, it's good to start subtly as you would be in any country.

For example, I was chatting to a hotel pool attendant who was hitting on me. The way we got to "are you gay" was I started talking about some local bars, naming some ones which are known to be gay, asking if he knew them and if he went to any of them regularly etc. He did. Then he commented that these are gay bars so I asked him if he was gay and he did the same...

If you meet the guy in a gogo bar, keep in mind, not all gogo boys are gay so if that matters to you, you should just ask him.

Another thing to keep in mind is in Thailand, occasionally when someone asks if you're gay, I suspect the question is sort of meant to mean "are you top or bottom". I think this is mainly only the case when the question is asked as you're sleeping with someone or about to sleep with them...

I think this is incredibly offensive to Thai people.

Totally agree... the OP said he was going to Thailand. No mention of where in Thailand he was going.

I have to be honest and perhaps a little blunt here when I say I find the attitude some foreigners have - believing EVERY Thai is "purchasable" - truly disgusting.

A friend of mine (who lives in Pattaya!) once assured me that 'most Thais are prepared to dabble in the hospitality industry.' Very decorously put, I thought.
I accept that Thais, mainly the working class, tend to be more inclined to be prepared to do that. More so than other countries. But that doesn't make it acceptable to assert that EVERY Thai is prepared to be "gay for pay" and such, nor is it right to go around the country propositioning any guy you see with cash (very offensive thing to do - take note, latintopxxx).

I think people should spend time with a broader spectrum of society before coming to conclusions like this. I've met plenty of Thais in that "business" and plenty of Thais who DO do that but most of my Thai friends and most guys I've been with in Thailand would never consider it.

January 19th, 2012, 20:19
thanks all of you guys. I already book the flight 26 Jan.. i am exciting... :glasses7: