PDA

View Full Version : Luang Prabang

January 5th, 2012, 16:31
Hello

We are a couple french guys 34 and 36 years old visiting LAO at the end of January 2012.

I would like to know if you know cool hotels gay friendly or gay owned guest houses ?

I don't find a place to rent cars also ? You have an idea ?

If it's forbidden to sleep with a LAO guy in the room is it possible to invite him during the day or for a dinner at restaurant ? What do you think ?

We stay 1 week in LPB and 2 days in Vientiane and we have lot of contact on GR what do you think ? It is dangerous to meet them ?

Thanks for informations :)

Christophe From France

pong
January 6th, 2012, 16:38
bonjour et bonne voyage!
No-even though this rule is in the books (maybe a leftover of the French??) it is not really enforced. ''Gay''friendly is a nonsense term-what you must ask for is ''visitorfriendly''- LPr (a very nice city, nice people, lots and loads of french-as they think most people parlez cette langue-which they hardly do) and beautifully restored with loads and lots of FR argent=money, has hardly any ''gay'places, though the site utopia-asia mentions a few. Nowadays most people advise to make some contacts before via a site like gayromeo- locals are more likely to know the latest situation.
Think 3 times before you even think of renting a car-if you do, take one with driver=chauffeur, which hardly cost more. For just short trips during the day-rent a tuktuk=jumbo and make a deal. Many of the tourist places out of town are not even on a road-but more on rivers or side-dirt-pathes. These things are best done locally-no need at all to jump nto an unreliable www-reservation. Bonne chance.

a447
January 6th, 2012, 17:03
Bonjour.
J'ai couche avec un jeune mec chez Lao Orchid Hotel a Vientiane . Pas de probleme. Il faut que le mec montre sa carte d'identite au receptionniste. C'est tout.

January 6th, 2012, 19:25
Unfortnalty when we go to Vientiane the Orchid Hotel is full :(((( I hope there is another one nearby relax and cool like this one. I read tons of good things about it; anyway it's full...

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Christophe

Brisboy82
January 6th, 2012, 22:51
That's aphids guesthouse is owned by a gay Lao/farang couple who also own blue ice bar. There is no problem bringing Lao boys have to stay in your room. I had a Lao guest every night and they were always treated with respect by the staff.

Be sure to drop into blue ice bar while in luang prabang it's very friendly and there's lots of friendly Lao gay boys to meet there.

January 7th, 2012, 01:56
Hello

I don't find a website with the aphids guesthouse ? could you help pls ?

thank Chris

paulg
January 7th, 2012, 05:50
That's aphids guesthouse is owned by a gay Lao/farang couple who also own blue ice bar. There is no problem bringing Lao boys have to stay in your room. I had a Lao guest every night and they were always treated with respect by the staff.

Be sure to drop into blue ice bar while in luang prabang it's very friendly and there's lots of friendly Lao gay boys to meet there.

We are planning a trip soon and this site was helpful. It gives a phone number for Blue Ice.

http://www.visit-mekong.com/laos/luang- ... htlife.htm (http://www.visit-mekong.com/laos/luang-prabang/nightlife.htm)

both ciities listings but not aphids. This comment might be helpful from

http://www.dragoncastle.net/community/g ... tory/laos/ (http://www.dragoncastle.net/community/gay-directory/laos/)

Blue Ice Bar

Kingkitsarath Road

Great gay bar, gay owned and managed by same management as Villa Deux Rivieres. Great drinks, a pleasant way to spend an evening.
info@villadeuxrivieres.com

Brisboy82
January 7th, 2012, 08:56
Hello

I don't find a website with the aphids guesthouse ? could you help pls ?

thank Chris

Oops that was an iPhone auto spell. There is no such place as aphids guesthouse I meant to say thatsaphone. Haha
Aphids. I will see if I can find a website for thatsaphone.

paulg
January 7th, 2012, 13:01
thatsaphone is listed on agoda. I clicked on the logo front page and up it came. Nothing about being gay tho

Brisboy82
January 7th, 2012, 15:33
thatsaphone is listed on agoda. I clicked on the logo front page and up it came. Nothing about being gay tho

I think there are official legal reasons why try cant call it a gay guesthouse. Same as how the gay bars cannot call themselves gay. The owner is gay and the guests tend to be gay.

January 8th, 2012, 00:54
I really would like to thank warmly all of you for your help !

The links are great and so usefull with that post and your help the visit in Laos will be better :)

Only one more information because the hotel you suggest in Vientiane is FULL :( the royal orchid any other cool hotel around ? or in cool place ?

Thanks again for all :)

Chris

witchhunt
January 13th, 2012, 15:56
Please dont forget to keep us up to date. Your trip is new to a lot of us and your comments will be welcome.

paulo15
January 16th, 2012, 15:08
Hi,
Just a few updates. Unfortunately Blue Ice bar was closed down by the authorites just before Christmas, a great shame as it was the main focus for meeting new friends in LPB. Mostly now it's Lao Lao bar but limited, GR is probably the best place to make connections right now although the road between Lao Lao and Blue Ice can be cruisy early evening, also the sauna, I forgot the name, just by Wat Xiang Thong on the Mekong side although mixed you can meet people there 5-7pm.
The guesthouse being talked about is Thatasphone, very good location and no problem with guests, try for an upstairs room nicer and more convenient. If you want a bit more lux then Deux Rivieres on the Nam Khan side is also a sympathetic choice. Bear in mind that unless you look like a cross between Jessie Metcalf and Justin Bieber you will probably have to assist your new amigo
cheers

Brisboy82
January 18th, 2012, 09:41
I didn't have trouble finding free sex in fact one guy have me free sex an free beer and food at his university dorm. Someone older might have more difficulty maybe.

As or blue ice being closed down that is very sad. I believe the Lao government is very concerned with ensuring the country doesn't become a sex tourist destination like Thailand. The Lao people themselves are very gay friendly, although public displays of affection are frowned upon for gay and straight couples. I also think Lao/farang couples still raise a lot of eyebrows.

Beachlover
February 8th, 2012, 20:07
I believe the Lao government is very concerned with ensuring the country doesn't become a sex tourist destination like Thailand.
From much of the commentary you see online, they probably have good reason to consider this a valid thread. Cambodia has a similar challenge to face and so may Burma when it opens up more.

I think it's a good thing they're watching out for this. It'd be bad for Laos to get the same reputation Thailand has. I just hope their efforts to prevent this don't cause any collateral damage and inhibit genuine interactions/relations.