PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike taxis

martin911
January 3rd, 2012, 00:35
There seems (to me ) have been a concerted effort by the motorbike taxi drivers to increase the fares in the last few months

It als seemed to be 50b was the base price on a lot of the routes i commonly take - ie Mosaik to Jomtien ,
Now the base is 60 for same routes -- although if you are firm with them ,or show them that u will walk away (which i do to them on a reg basis ) they will settle for the normal 50b fare

Its als a good idea to get the quote before u get on the bike- they have tried to pull a fast one a lot more lately i find (sign of the poor economic times ??-)
But the thai attitude to less customers is to increase prices on the ones they have is it not ??

One taxi guy really tried it on with us on NYEve - A taxi from my place to Dave is 70 bhat normally -- this guy asked for 300 ( i actually thought he said 200 and had said no way to that price , I had told him i wanted 20 b back change from the 200 i was handing him ,that way i way giving him a little extra for NYEve in my mind !! )
300 !!!!!!!
Anyway we were having none of it !! and my guy ( who is normally a very shy person) gave out like mad to him ,and he handed back the 20 from the 200 !

Anybody else noticed this around the place ??

Fxxk me i must be bored to be writing about taxis at 1 am in the morning -

well yes i am ,have been waiting for certain friends to get ready since 11.45 :banghead:
Better get to Dave quick before Colmx hoovers up all the cute guys from his vantage point up on the left hand ledge :laughing3: :laughing3:

francois
January 3rd, 2012, 04:38
Fxxk me i must be bored to be writing about taxis at 1 am in the morning -
:

My bf is a motorbike taxi driver and times are tough for them. An increase from50 to 60 Baht is not outrageous. But the 300 Baht ride was exorbitant.

kjun12
January 3rd, 2012, 08:35
They are still a bargain in Bangkok. Usually arount 30 Baht. From the main road to my house its only 10 Baht.

latintopxxx
January 3rd, 2012, 17:23
you'r all mad to take motor bike taxis, for the sake of a few Baht you could easily end up dead or worse paralysed...never skimp on personal safety, I don't even take tuk tuks...always cough up the 100 and take a proper taxi ...

pong
January 3rd, 2012, 17:32
always cough up the 100 and take a proper taxi ...
feliz ano- there are no taxi's-meters in PTY-except a few who wait for return fares to BKK.
You had better repeat that age-old matra: always=always make sure the fare you propose is agreed to-even if its the 25th time with same driver.
All those peope who always tell me ''its cheaper'' etc are invited to drop the ''not so much rise'' in my wallet-every timeafter all its just peanuts to them, nah?

Neal
January 3rd, 2012, 18:28
Sorry to contradict you but there are many taxis here in Pattaya. They are a dark blue and yellow and while they might take you to the airport, they do not like leaving Pattaya so you had better check. It is usually 150 - 2 - 200 to go somewhere in Pattaya.

colmx
January 3rd, 2012, 19:35
80B for me for mocy taxi from Step up to the club (I think you were charged 100B for 2 people on the same trip Martin?)
70B last night from Step up to Pattaya Tai
60B from Sunee to pattayaland...

Yes they are getting much more expensive....

Unless you have a Thaiboy with you.... Suddenly the fare drops to normal fares!

Beachlover
January 3rd, 2012, 22:17
you'r all mad to take motor bike taxis, for the sake of a few Baht you could easily end up dead or worse paralysed...never skimp on personal safety, I don't even take tuk tuks...always cough up the 100 and take a proper taxi ...
I agree...

In Bangkok, I never take motorbike taxis. Always meter taxis. Occasionally tuk tuks if it's late at night and there's no meter taxis in sight.

In Pattaya, getting around is more of a pain but I would still never take a motorbike taxi. I took the public route song taews a few times when convenient. Otherwise, just hired a song taew and paid whatever to get to where I wanted go. Occasionally found a proper meter taxi (but they never use the meter).

We're talking about a difference of maybe $3 at most here... utterly nuts if you think it through.

kjun12
January 4th, 2012, 10:05
you'r all mad to take motor bike taxis
Since Beachie seconded this feeling, I want to third it. I only take one from the main road to my smaller soi which is about 800 meters on a quiet soi.

jolyjacktar
January 4th, 2012, 17:35
Never use moterbike taxi anywhere in Thailand, too bloody dangerous. I will get the Baht bus even if they charge a few more bahts to go by myself somewhere.