PDA

View Full Version : 2/3 days excursion round Chiang Mai

lukylok
January 1st, 2012, 22:13
I am going to Chiang Mai again early Feb and was considering taking a 2/3 days trip in the neighbourhood to create a little diversity. Chiang Rai springs to mind. Other destinations, suggestions ?
Hotels ? Car hire ?
I am going with my BS, so the gay side is not a first concern, but cultural, general interest, sightseeing ...
Thank you for your help !

Rush, Yet Again
January 2nd, 2012, 03:02
A nice excursion for a day is the drive out to Lamphun on H106 (the old road to Lamphun) with its saffron robe wrapped Yang-Na trees. Lamphun is a picturesque town with several wats of note, the most famous being Wat Phra That Hariphunchai.

If you are headed to Chiang Rai, donтАЩt miss the white wat (Wat Rong Khun) located about 5 kilometers to the south. ItтАЩs gotta be the most unique wat in Thailand, looking more like a scene from DanteтАЩs Inferno than a Buddhist temple.

kjun12
January 2nd, 2012, 08:31
I've spent a bit of time in the area around Chiang Rai and would suggest the gardens at Doi Tung. Truly beautiful. See:http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/switzerland_in_thailand-doi_tung.html

Another point of interest is the Opium Museum. I expected some little place but was pleasantly surprised with a first class Museum built around the story of Opium. I certainly learned a lot. See: http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/hall-of-opium.html

There are many other things to see and do but a little search on the web will help you with this. The ones I've told you about are some I really enjoyed.

Enjoy yourself!

BonTong
January 2nd, 2012, 11:28
Co-incidentally, I've just started writing a series of articles on this subject. Will post a link when they're finished. But, meanwhile, some pointers:

Car Hire: North wheels (http://www.northwheels.com/) A locally run reliable firm, with plenty of cars. Not a brand new fleet but they provide good service, good prices and won't rip you off. There are some car hire firms in Chiang Mai that are known scam artists, including the franchisee for one of the multinational brands.

I'd suggest the following itinerary as one possibility. Head East to Phayao, great drive over the mountains and it's a picturesque quiet town on a beautiful lake. Lakeside is a great place to eat fresh fish for lunch. If you've got plenty of time, go visit Wat Analayo, a temple set on a wooded mountaintop with views over Phayao. If you stay overnight, try the Gateway Hotel. For nightlife there's lots of bars along the lakeside, but it wraps up early around 10-11 p.m. after that head to BM Pub, (Phayao's answer to Mandaly in CM).

Chiang Rai is an hours drive up the main highway one from Phayao. Stay in the center (I like the Wiang Inn Hotel) and eat and drink at the Night Bazzaar, great selection of food and cute beer boys serve at your table. If you already have company don't bother with CR's two Go-go bars.

The White Wat is worth a visit (as mentioned above), you can also go visit the Golden Triangle, where the borders of Laos and Burma meet on the Mekong, though there's really not much to see there apart from the River and a big Buddha.

I second the recommendation of Doi Tung - The gardens and Royal Villa at Mae Fah Luang are the residence of the late Princess Mother and fabulous, as is the mountain scenery. From Chiang Rai, go early in the day to see the flowers at their best. After Doi Tung go to Doi Mae Salong, previously famous for it's renegade Chinese Army, then Opium and now Tea. Very beautiful place - see here from our last trip: http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2011/notes-birthday/ Mae Salong is also a nice place to spend the night. Head back to Chiang Mai by Taton, Fang and Chiang Dao. Taton is nice to stop by the river for a snack or lunch, there is also a boat service to Chaing Rai. Fang is an interesting place which even has a couple of gay bars! There is a nice new hotel behind the bus station and Thanin Market. Other attractions are Fang Hot springs and Doi Angkhan. Chiang Dao also has some beautiful mountains and caves.

For a one day trip do the Samoeng Loop, North from Chiang Mai to Mae Rim, then west up the Mae Sa Valley, which includes elephant camps and the Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens. Over the mountains to the picturesque Samoneg valley and town, then back to Chiang Mai via the southerly route.

A bit brief as there is so much to see and do, but hope the above helps.

January 3rd, 2012, 08:56
Good advice already posted above -- especially to visit Doi Tung!

A quick tour of Tachileik, Burma could easily be tacked onto Bontong's nice program. A tuk tuk driver can take you to the three main temples (different styles) in about an hour plus maybe thirty minutes for shopping before crossing back into Thailand.

Doi Inthanon National Park is a popular destination that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Phayao is scenic and relaxed, but I was fascinated by Sukhothai (Thailand's first capitol): http://www.google.com/search?q=sukhotha ... 26&bih=609 (http://www.google.com/search?q=sukhothai&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JGwCT-LNKOTkiAKAn_W0Dg&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1226&bih=609)

You can see the highlights of Sukhothai in one long day out of Chiang Mai, but much better pace if you can make it an overnight trip.

I don't recommend tourists rent cars in Thailand. Maybe you are comfortable with your BS's driving of a rental car, but he might get worn out driving & need to nap once you get wherever you're going! Better to hire a driver.

pong
January 3rd, 2012, 17:40
Sukhothai is much, much better done as half-way halt on the way from BKK to CNX-you can even fly it, if you feel to hi-so for buses.trains.
Tipically what you ask is best answered in one of the many guidebooks. The usual trip is: to ThaThon, boat to ChRai/town (always make sure in TH if you mean town/capital or province), then onward to Maesai/Tachilek border, Chiang Saen (=sop ruak. golden traingle) add a hilltribe or 2 and some other things, that interest the unknowing 1st time tourist: tea plantations, Chinese KuoMintang refugee village, mulberry plantation, elefantcamp, orchidfarm, etc. The boat forsakes a private car, though you can arrange to have it wait for you the other end.
and spare a second to muse about the wheather-yes its hot, but there are more variations as you would think of now, incl. the nasty burning of ricefields.
The other loop is around Pai-Mae Hong Son-mae sariang, via the mountains and ueberhip Bkk-yuppie colonized Pai, grottoes/caves, Burmese tribes, if you want to add a human zoo: the longnackladies, etc. Even the do-gooders can visit various help the poor Burmese refugees (karen/Shan in disguise) settelments and donate.

BonTong
January 3rd, 2012, 19:29
One thing to be aware about going to Tachileik, Burma is that on return, if they stamp your passport you will only get 15 days in Thailand (if here on 30 Day visa exempt stamp). This may not be a problem, but is something to be aware of. It may still be possible to enter without getting stamped in/out of Thailand (when going to Tachileik I beleive they hold your passport at the border).

Regarding weather early Feb is still O.K. and very pleasant, the temperature doesn't usually rise until end of February or early March when it get's hot quickly. Also the burning season is not so bad then, though there will be some burning up in the hills.

Doi Inthanon (Thailand's highest mountain) is a good day trip, or you could go a bit further and stay overnight in Mae Chaem which is another beautiful and relatively untouristy area.

lukylok
January 3rd, 2012, 23:03
Thank you very much for all your useful informations.
I have already done the road from Sukhotai to Sri Satchanalai, Mae Sot and the burmese border to Mae Hong Song, and been to Chiang Rai and seen the white wat and the opium museum but I doubt very much the BS has.
I like the idea of going by Phayao, spend the night in Chiang Mai, visit Doit Tung and have look on the Mekong and the borders. I take good note of the remark on the visa, coming back from Techilek, that would be a problem for me.
A second night in CR and back by Fang. I suppose the boat service to Thaton works both ways.
That brings me to the suggestion of a driver. It is more confortable and would allow the boat trip. Any recommendation ? and prices :dontknow: ?

Once again, many thanks for your help.

kjun12
January 4th, 2012, 10:01
I am going with my BS
What is a BS?

Khor tose
January 4th, 2012, 11:56
I am going with my BS
What is a BS?

Boy Special

To the OP of this thread. I would like to suggest you go West instead of North or North East. Pai and Mae Hong son are great places to visit. The drive to Pai is manageable or you can fly from Chiang Mai to Pai or Mae Hong Son. North Wheels is a good place to rent, but you can get a far better deal with no hassle from POP3 right accross the street from North Wheels on the other side of the moat. About 100 meters from the M Hotel (The old Montri). Good luck and enjoy your visit to CM.

lukylok
January 7th, 2012, 15:26
I have taken good note of North Wheels or POP for hiring a car. Thank you.

I am considering a driver : does anyone know someone to recommend ?

Khor tose
January 8th, 2012, 01:11
I have taken good note of North Wheels or POP for hiring a car. Thank you.

I am considering a driver : does anyone know someone to recommend ?

I recommend Bens taxi and touring service. He is gay and he speaks perfect English. Fun to talk to.

http://www.benstaxiserviceandtours.com/

chillnorth
January 8th, 2012, 19:06
Great suggestions. For anyone who hasn't been to the white wat it may be useful to know it's more of a work of art rather than a true temple, i.e., I may be wrong but am not aware of any actual monks living there. The artist (famous Thai) often holds court at the restaurant opposite. Last time I looked farang weren't actually allowed to enter the building itself though the walk around was interesting for 1/2 hour and the loos are impressive.

I think ThaTon is a beautiful route, mostly for the river and view, certainly not the town in my opinion. Great temples above it. Respectful question for the more experienced: if you don't have any contacts with one of the Anka villages (which some of us may have) what would you actually do there?