PDA

View Full Version : How to meet sex buddy

December 29th, 2011, 22:21
Hi, I am visiting BKK for a few days in January. What is the best way to meet a young guy who will spend a few days and nights) with me and show me around during the day?

Also, can you recommend a good hotel near the gay area?

Many thanks.

Pete

loke
December 30th, 2011, 04:47
Its a good idea to chat with the boy on gay sites like GayRomeo and find someone that is interested , so he will "take care of you" during your stay.

Of course you can also try to find someone in one of the gay friendly bars , but it will probably be more expensive if you want to stay with him long time.

There are many gayfriendly hotels in the Silom area.

I can recommend Tarntawan Place, you can walk to all the gay areas from there.
http://www.tarntawan.com/index.html

christianpfc
December 30th, 2011, 12:13
to meet a young guy who will spend a few days and nights) with me and show me around during the day?
Spending the night (or at least a few hours) is quite easy: take one from a bar or hook up in a disco.

But doing daytime activities is difficult: boys with a job outside the bar area have to go to work (unless they have their day off), and barboys are usually not interested in spending the night (long time) and the following day (in my experience).

Therefore I separated sex and sightseeing. I have sex with Thai boys, and do sightseeing during day with Farang friends. It's much easier this way.

pong
December 30th, 2011, 17:19
and use some str8forward thinking: most barboys do not come from BKK-and they know the city even worse as you do-except for their own turf. Or the (more experienced lads) the costly -real-brand-name- shops. But this remains Thaild; surprises are always possible, there are no set rules or recipes, keep an open eye and be open for any new experience-and then you may have quite some good surprises.
PS: barboys to go looking at other gay places: forget it- for them its just a drag and they wont even know the other places/areas except by name, plus most are not gay and thus have no interest in that sutff at all-its only stimulating the competition-maybe the other ones wll do it for free!

Beachlover
January 18th, 2012, 22:33
Pete9999.... you didn't specify if you're looking for meet a genuine guy or just a gogo boy/moneyboy. I'm guessing with gogo boys/moneyboys, it's easy. You just tell them what you want and pay them.

With normal, genuine guys you've just got to go out and chat up guys and hope you meet someone nice who wants something more than a one nighter with you.

I went through a lot of random one-nighters in Bangkok before I met a really special guy. He was with a bunch of friends at a gay nightclub and when I spotted him, I thought "wow!" but he was dancing with another guy who I wrongly assumed was his boyfriend. So I looked away and the next moment he popped up next to me and blurted out something in Thai, thinking I was another Thai.

He was a student at the time, took a liking to me and spent the next few days driving me around Bangkok and showing me around. I was so smitten. He's one of those guys you meet and think, "wow, he's so cute" (not thinking about his body at all) and then later, he takes off his shirt and you go, "wow... what a body".

He's the most genuine and thoughtful Thai guy I've ever met so it's been really humbling getting to know him. Now he's working, but whenever I visit Bangkok, he takes time out of work to show me around and chill out with me. And we have some pretty amazing "moments" in the bedroom, on the balcony daybed, in the jacuzzi, in the pool... everywhere LOL.

So I guess, the answer is, as with all good things, no one can guarantee you'll find the guy you're looking for and you need to adjust your expectations accordingly. As easy as Bangkok is and as friendly and approachable as Thai guys are, it's still hit and miss, as all good things are.

I think by the time I met him, I was partying away on my 7th or 8th visit to Bangkok. Now my visits to Bangkok are calmer and more relaxed!

thrillbill
January 19th, 2012, 20:54
Interesting observation I have made with my Isaan bf of seven years is that he is bored with temples.... doesn't seem to have an appreciation with traditional Siam architecture; yet is more thrilled to see anything modern. He loves Singapore; yet hated Hanoi when we traveled together there. ( His comment: "Why to farangs come here to see so many old, dirty buildings? ") When we stayed in a traditional, restored Lana House at Club Seven in Chiagnmai, his comment, "Why stay in an old wooden house? This is like Isaan." By the way, the gay resort is beautiful. And his Isaan schooling didn't cover appreciation of Thai architecture or history. So to find a Thai guide, you better go for someone that advertises himself as a guide.

January 21st, 2012, 20:17
As a Thai person, my opinion is for Thais who are permanently living in the same area or country for their entire lives, they see everything as normal and usually unattractive. When we see things that are different from our daily lives, that is when we get so excited. As a farang, I believe you are fascinated by our living environment, conditions and our traditions but that because you are not living here. You come to Thailnd, you see it, for awhile you think you like it and in the end you glad you can leave it behind.

Often, we know that some places do exist and sometime just a few miles away from where we live but we never seem to make any effort to visit those places and we know nothing about it, who built it, when it was built. It just never comes to our mind. It sounds a bit odd but I think it's happen in every societies some are worst than the others but it dose happen.

Beachlover
January 22nd, 2012, 11:22
Yep... totally agree, Panda! Especially agree with the comment about being able to "leave it behind".

Very natural to want to see, feel and experience the stuff that's scarce or non-existent in their usual living environment.

Westerners want to see and explore developing countries where the culture, living environment and lifestyle is more primitive, undeveloped, raw and different. We want to see Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, China, South America.

Thais look at these places and think, why the hell would I want to visit a place that's even shittier than my own?! I want to see Europe, Singapore, Australia... where they have more refined culture and clean living environments!

My parents (I am Asian) looked at me like I was nut case when I said I was off to go backpacking around Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia, spending time in villages etc.. Now they understand why I did that... the shitty conditions I wanted to experience was what they grew up with so nothing new or interesting to them. They're just glad to have worked their way out of it and be able to afford air conditioning now! But I had never got to see that stuff, except occasionally when living with relatives as a kid.

If you take your Thai boyfriend on holidays abroad, don't take them to lesser developed countries like Vietnam or Cambodia... They want to see shinier places! Take them to Singapore... Hong Kong... Shanghai.... Tokyo! Or take them to Europe or Australia!

Likewise, if you meet a Thai guy who's intelligent and thoughtful... he'll know that what you want to see is the stuff you don't have in your own country. The the little street markets, shopping for the local fashion designers (not the international brands), the temples where locals go to pray, the restaurants Thais go to (which foreigners wouldn't ordinarily find).

The great thing - and one thing that makes Thailand so "visitor friendly" - is in my experience, Thai guys are the the friendliest and most approachable of any nationality in Asia.

Rush, Yet Again
January 22nd, 2012, 12:55
If you take your Thai boyfriend on holidays abroad, don't take them to lesser developed countries like Vietnam or Cambodia... They want to see shinier places!

Really? тАШShinier?тАЩ Laos was the #1 place one of my Thai friends wanted to see. Same with Vietnam for another. And IтАЩve taken two Thai friends (separately) to Cambodia; in both cases it was their idea to go. What are you basing your statement on? Something you found through Google?

Thais look at these places and think, why the hell would I want to visit a place that's even shittier than my own?! I want to see Europe, Singapore, Australia... where they have more refined culture and clean living environments!

Boy are you in for a surprise when you finally meet a Thai for real. You'll be hard pressed to find a Thai who thinks his country is shitty. And seriously, AustraliaтАЩs culture is more refined than ThailandтАЩs? I think youтАЩve relied on what youтАЩve read on gay Thailand message boards a bit too much in creating your vision of Thailand.

ThatтАЩs gotta be one of the most offensive posts youтАЩve managed yet. Which was a pretty high bar to aim at.

Beachlover
January 22nd, 2012, 18:45

Boy are you in for a surprise when you finally meet a Thai for real. You'll be hard pressed to find a Thai who thinks his country is shitty. And seriously, AustraliaтАЩs culture is more refined than ThailandтАЩs? I think youтАЩve relied on what youтАЩve read on gay Thailand message boards a bit too much in creating your vision of Thailand.
Complete lack of comprehension on your part.

The phrase "even shittier than my own" refers to the level of development for country A relative to country B. It's not referring to country B (Thailand) on its own. I could say country X is even shittier than Australia and it wouldn't be calling Australia shitty on its own.

You'll be hard pressed to find a Thai who thinks his country is shitty
You obviously haven't gotten to know many Thais well. I have met some Thais who voiced that their country is shitty including some who've moved abroad. You'll find people in every country who say that, sometimes for valid reasons, sometimes because they lack perspective.

... reply to the top half of your post later as I got to run now.

Dboy
January 23rd, 2012, 10:48

Wow, I didn't read his post that way at all. Just as people who live San Antonio, Texas don't give a shit about The Alamo, and people who live in Brussels have no interest in looking at piss-boy or The Atomium, people who live in Thailand don't want to go visit the Karen or ride an elephant lol. That's all he's saying. Here's an idea to scare your Thai boyfriend shitless. Take him to see the catacombs in Paris. Buddhists don't like leaving dead bodies laying about like the crazy farangs do, so taking him to see room after room of 100 year old bones is bound to be something he'll never forget! Awesome cultural experience, although one for which he will likely need years of therapy to forget.

You obviously haven't gotten to know many Thais well. I have met some Thais who voiced that their country is shitty including some who've moved abroad. You'll find people in every country who say that, sometimes for valid reasons, sometimes because they lack perspective.

Beachy, that's going to be an extremely rare phenomenon. I've NEVER, EVER heard a Thai say even a single negative comment about his homeland, and it's hard for me to believe that such a Thai exists...really I don't think one does. They WILL say they are in the US or wherever due to better economic prospects, or for school; but ALL of them miss Thailand. Hell, even Thaksin misses Thailand, even after his countrymen stole a Billion dollars from him!

Dboy

Rush, Yet Again
January 23rd, 2012, 11:02
The phrase "even shittier than my own" refers to the level of development for country A relative to country B. It's not referring to country B (Thailand) on its own. I could say country X is even shittier than Australia and it wouldn't be calling Australia shitty on its own.

No, your phrase тАЬeven shittier than my ownтАЭ contains a comparative adjective: shittier. Which is used as a degree of comparison between a quality relative to something else. In your usage you used it to compare the shittiness of other SE Asian countries to the shittiness of Thailand. Therefore, if Thailand is not shitty in your view, another country could not possibly be more shitty than Thailand. It could be shitty (grammatically a positive adjective) on its own, or it could be the shittiest country (taking the superlative form) but not shittier. Perhaps youтАЩll cover basic grammar next year at Uni.

So itтАЩs not a case of my lack of comprehension but rather a case of you trying out a bit of prevarication to confuse the issue. The point you were making, regardless of the additionally offensive manner in which you decided to make it, was that Thais would prefer visiting a country тАЬbetterтАЩ than theirs rather than one that, in your view, is even worse. That the bar you decided to set was based on тАШmore refined culture and clean living environmentsтАЩ just makes it that much more impertinent.

Blah, blah, blah . . .
I used the phrase тАШYouтАЩll be hard pressed to find a Thai who thinks his country is shitty.тАЩ which means, though difficult, you could in fact find Thais who have that view of their country. So your statement does nothing more than agree with mine and adds the rather inane comment that itтАЩs possible to find some people in any country who think their homeland is shitty. Uh, duh. Thanks for that Sherlock.

The point I made in my post was that your view that тАЬIf you take your Thai boyfriend on holidays abroad, donтАЩt take them to lesser developed countries like Vietnam or Cambodia...тАЭ is wrong and that you are misinformed, most likely because you based your statement on assumptions youтАЩve adopted from reading posts on gay Thailand message boards rather than through personal experience. Furthermore, your statement that all Thais want to go see тАШshinier placesтАЩ is condescending at best and portrays you as someone who has a very low opinion of the people of Thailand. Or maybe itтАЩs just your ignorance showing through, yet again.

cdnmatt
January 23rd, 2012, 11:16
Gotta admit, BL's comments left me scratching my head a bit too. If I had that attitude, I probably would have been in the hospital long ago.

I don't think I know of a single Thai who "looks up to" the West. On the flip side, I don't think I know of a single Thai who "looks down" on the West either, whereas many countries view the West as imperial assholes who are ruining the planet. Actually, that's wrong, and I do know a few old hags who look down on the West. Nonetheless, I don't know of any Thais who are sitting around everyday thinking, "jesus Thailand is shitty, I sure wish I could go to the West". Just... not happening. However, I know loads of Thais who would absolutely hate living in Canada, and would be back in Thailand within 2 weeks. They might be curious to check it out, but wouldn't like it.

I could just imagine the responses I would get if I tried to convince some Thais that morlam sucks ass, has no culture to it, but then tried to convince them this is "culturally refined":

[youtube:3c97533m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCHuJ4gSrPM[/youtube:3c97533m]

loke
January 23rd, 2012, 17:32
As a Thai person, my opinion is for Thais who are permanently living in the same area or country for their entire lives, they see everything as normal and usually unattractive. When we see things that are different from our daily lives, that is when we get so excited. As a farang, I believe you are fascinated by our living environment, conditions and our traditions but that because you are not living here. You come to Thailnd, you see it, for awhile you think you like it and in the end you glad you can leave it behind.

Often, we know that some places do exist and sometime just a few miles away from where we live but we never seem to make any effort to visit those places and we know nothing about it, who built it, when it was built. It just never comes to our mind. It sounds a bit odd but I think it's happen in every societies some are worst than the others but it dose happen.

I appreciate your views as a Thai person . I really want to get into the minds and thoughts from you but find it very difficult , mostly because of the language barrier.

Its the same where I come from , in Northern Europe there are tourist attractions nearby where I live but I never visited myself, I find it too boring , since its in my own country. So no wonder Thais also find it uninteresting .

latintopxxx
January 24th, 2012, 23:02
cdnmatt....clearly you do not inhabit the same planet I find myself on when you say that you dont know of any Thai's who look up to the west and that you know of Thai's living in Canada who would love to move back.....like why don't they just do that??
As for looking up to the west...that's why the "west"has visa restrictions because without bthem the west would be flooded with overstayers...rather be down and out poor in the west than thailand...hello???anyone home???

a447
January 25th, 2012, 11:41
....when you say that you dont know of any Thai's who look up to the west and that you know of Thai's living in Canada who would love to move back.....like why don't they just do that??
As for looking up to the west...that's why the "west"has visa restrictions because without bthem the west would be flooded with overstayers...rather be down and out poor in the west than thailand.

You are confusing "looking up to" with "envious of." Had you spent some time in Thailand, you'd know the difference. They are envious of our money but definitely NOT envious of our culture.

cdnmatt is spot on with his comments. He reflects what the boys have been telling me for years. People who come from a culture dating back thousands of years do not "look up" to anyone!

latin, for someone who reckons he's a frequent visitor to LOS, your lack of knowledge about how the Thais feel about their own culture is appalling. Just further proof, eh?

You should speak to a REAL Thai in THAILAND and get a REAL opinion. You obviously haven't.

cdnmatt
January 25th, 2012, 12:48
cdnmatt....clearly you do not inhabit the same planet I find myself on when you say that you dont know of any Thai's who look up to the west

As said above, they might look up to our money, but you're fooling yourself if you think there's loads who can't wait to fly off, and settle down in the West.

you know of Thai's living in Canada who would love to move back.....like why don't they just do that??

Don't know any in Canada, but just thinking of my neighbors for example. Can't see any of them enjoying Canada. They'd feel lonely, isolated, and they'd view it as a very "cold" and isolated existence. There'd be no life on the streets, you don't see and talk to all of your neighbors every day, several times a day, there's no street markets to goto, etc. Instead, you stay inside all day, then walk from your door to your car, drive to the 40,000sqft grocery store, pickup what you want in a very impersonal manner, then go back home to be lonely. They would absolutely hate that. Not to mention they'd feel scared about how clean, strict, and busy everything is, with loads of laws & regulations, everyone always in a rush, everyone always trying to impress everyone else, everything always has to be planned in advance, etc. They would hate it, and upon being back in Thailand, they would breath a huge sigh of relief.

As for looking up to the west...that's why the "west"has visa restrictions because without bthem the west would be flooded with overstayers

What??? And if Thailand relaxed their VISA restrictions, they'd be flooded with millions more Westerners too. Canada has stricter VISA restrictions because of simple economics, nothing more. It simply costs more to live there, but that's hardly an indication of how good or desirable a country is. Granted Thais make less, but if anything, I'd even argue to say they have greater purchasing power than a middle class Canadian.

A typical Canadian engineer might make 4 times more than a typical Thai engineer, but when things cost 6 times more than what the Thai pays, obviously the Thai is better off. Please note, I'm only talking about standard living and necessities. If you get into imported / luxury goods, then you better be quite wealthy if you live in Thailand, as you'll be paying quite a bit more than you would in Canada. That's how developing countries help keep their economy in balance.

And that's not even including the higher tax rates places like Canada have. In Thailand I can get away with 30%, whereas in Canada it would be around the 48% mark probably, plus 7% GST, plus 6% PST, etc. This is 2012, not 1970, and times have changed. Not much point in us Westerners waving the big #1 foamy around anymore.

Neal
January 28th, 2012, 03:48
think it is because it is so wide spread here. I mean it is almost at every corner of everything whereas in other countries it is done but maybe not to the degree it here and definitely not this "out in the open" and accepted.

January 29th, 2012, 02:36
Hmmmm, I don't know how extensively you've travelled in Eastern Europe - a lot of them are much darker than you or I - but just to prove I'm a reasonable guy, I'll amend my statement thus:

Well, Brithai, without wishing to derail the topic (you started it!) ..... breaking away from the UK is a political proposition based on the concept of the inalienable right of every nation to self-determination. That is the position of the SNP.

Whereas, your views - as clearly evidenced in your "speech" above, seem to be entirely based on ethnic origin.
That is the position of the BNP - whether or not you voted for them (this time anyway).

To try to conflate the two is a tactic worth of Dr Goebells himself.

Quite simple really.

Now, does that show your views in a better light? :sign5:

January 29th, 2012, 03:04
you should come to london to live scotty you will find that white british people are infact the ethnic minority in london ..
i dont need to go to eastern europe to view easten europeans i just have to go outside my front door in the morning ...
my views and your views will never match so its best not to go on with it i think ... but i give you this .. which im sure you will tell me is totally ridiculos.. you own your own house i would imagine .. have a spare bedroom ... so i shall force on you a polish lodger and you will have to pay said lodger ┬г100 a week so he has money to do what ever he wants to do...
now after a few days im sure your views would be changed ... you wouldnt want him in your house poncing off you ..
i rest my case

cdnmatt
January 30th, 2012, 22:18
Whew, scottish, settle down a bit. Scotland has a population of about 5.2 million, and GDP of around $216 billion. You're making it sound as if it's a world power that's going to resolve the world's energy crisis.

Deep breath, deep breath... :)

Neal
January 30th, 2012, 23:32
The rest of the nonsense and fighting has now been transferred to Global and under the heading of latintopxxx fighting.

martin911
January 31st, 2012, 00:04
The rest of the nonsense and fighting has now been transferred to Global and under the heading of latintopxxx fighting.

That will prob be a long bloody thread then !!!!

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2012, 08:42
Buddhists don't like leaving dead bodies laying about like the crazy farangs do, so taking him to see room after room of 100 year old bones is bound to be something he'll never forget! Awesome cultural experience, although one for which he will likely need years of therapy to forget.
Hmmm... this confuses me. Because in Cambodia, where the dominant religion is Buddhism, they have the Killing Fields museum where they've built towers to display the thousands and thousands of skulls and other bones exhumed from the site. The explanatory video says Buddhists like to give the bones some place nice to rest or something.

Beachy, that's going to be an extremely rare phenomenon. I've NEVER, EVER heard a Thai say even a single negative comment about his homeland, and it's hard for me to believe that such a Thai exists...really I don't think one does...
Hmmm... Not sure if you just haven't spent much time around Thais or if you're not taking notice of everything they say. I hear Thais make negative comments about their country fairly often. Not every day but regularly enough that I wouldn't call it "an extremely rare phenomenon". Granted, most of the Thais I spend time around aren't living in Thailand - they're immigrants - but I have heard similar negative comments from Thais when I'm in Thailand too.

In fact... case in point:

Well, I'm Thai and I always say negative comments about Thailand. I hate pollution in Bangkok. I hate Thai police and politicians. I hate corruption in Thai and also hate the fact that Thai people seem to be okay with it.

I hate so many things about Thailand but I don't hate the country. I don't regret being a Thai person and I certainly prefer to live in Thailand rather than Australia where I live now. The reason why I'm still live in Australia is because my partner can't live in Thailand. I also like the weather here, I can live in the city and be able to take a deep breath without worrying about the toxic air.

You might be confusing about my answer, let me put it this way.

Imagine you wrote your own novel and you know it's crap. You keep telling people how bad your book is but when people give you a negative comment you start to get annoyed and sometime even try to defend it. If you know what I'm talking about, that the way I feel.
I agree... what you say is totally true in my experience. I never say anything bad about Thailand unless they initiate the conversation first or actually ask me. But I have asked them things like how they find Australia compared to Thailand and when you ask in a very objective way they can be quite honest in expressing the good and bad things about their own country without getting defensive.

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2012, 08:51

That will prob be a long bloody thread then !!!!
Yes... I notice the Latintopxxx spin-off is longer than the mother thread now LOL. :rolling:

No, your phrase тАЬeven shittier than my ownтАЭ contains a comparative adjective: shittier. Which is used as a degree of comparison between a quality relative to something else.
Sorry but you're drowning in a spiral of semantics and I can't be arsed to swim after you...

Laos was the #1 place one of my Thai friends wanted to see. Same with Vietnam for another. And IтАЩve taken two Thai friends (separately) to Cambodia; in both cases it was their idea to go. What are you basing your statement on? Something you found through Google?
I based my statement on what my Thai friends say... and even the one who used to be a gogo boy (i.e. more like the type you would spend time with) wants to go to Singapore and Japan. He's never mentioned Laos or any of the poorer countries.

Two examples, which come to mind... One of my first Thai boyfriends had traveled a lot before I met him... almost all the countries he mentioned visiting were more developed than Thailand. Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea... the only one I recall being possibly less developed than Thailand is Mainland China, but then he said he visited Shanghai, which is quite developed. Another boyfriend has backpacked through Europe and Japan and visited Hong Kong. The only time I've heard a Thai guy expressing any desire for Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam was when he said he wanted to see Angkor Wat, after I said I had been there. And that was more about seeing Angkor Wat than visiting Cambodia.

I notice the same pattern among friends who've immigrated from poorer developing countries like Vietnam, Philippines and Indonesia. The ones who've done well like to travel and they tend to travel to countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore. I only know a couple who've been to Cambodia (and their main focus seemed to be Angkor Wat because they didn't go to Phnom Penh) and none who've been to Burma, Laos or Vietnam (except for the ones who are Vietnamese). It's the opposite with my Aussie mates.

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2012, 08:55
I don't think I know of a single Thai who "looks up to" the West....
Matt... I love your posts and all but I don't think you realise this: The cross-section of Thais you've spent time with is probably very narrow. There's nothing wrong with that alone! But if you think all Thais think, behave and act the same way the Thais you're surrounded by do you're wrong.

I don't mean any offense by this but going by what you've described here, I would say the Thais you spend your time with are probably quite uneducated and have little desire to learn and explore more outside their own little world (there are guys from small villages who ARE keen to get out and they are different). There are so many Thais who've started with little and worked hard to become successful and so many Thais who've moved abroad and enjoy living there. Go someplace where there's a huge population of expat Thais and it'll completely change your view of this nationality.

Don't know any in Canada, but just thinking of my neighbors for example. Can't see any of them enjoying Canada. They'd feel lonely, isolated, and they'd view it as a very "cold" and isolated existence. There'd be no life on the streets, you don't see and talk to all of your neighbors every day, several times a day, there's no street markets to goto, etc. Instead, you stay inside all day, then walk from your door to your car, drive to the 40,000sqft grocery store, pickup what you want in a very impersonal manner, then go back home to be lonely. They would absolutely hate that.
I agree with most of what you say above... but one thing I will say is I think a lot of Thais would be happy to settle anywhere where there's a lot of other Thais.

The Thai population in Sydney seems to be growing exponentially. They're lifestyle and habits are fairly different from Aussies - though similar to other Asians - and there are heaps and heaps and heaps of Thai restaurants, Thai bars, Thai massage joints and other Thai-oriented amenities here to cater to their lifestyle now.

They have similar features to what you find in Thailand... places open until 4am (a lot of Thais like to be out late), you can "buy a bottle" (they like to drink in groups, the same thing, cheaper), there are live Thai bands singing Thai songs and such... there are places which are so "Thai" you may as well be in Bangkok and not Australia! Sometimes I'll be sitting there and forget I'm in Sydney.

Rush, Yet Again
February 2nd, 2012, 13:58
Sometimes I'll be sitting there and forget I'm in Sydney.

Come on beach, you know this one. Just close your eyes, click your heels together and repeat: I am in Thailand! I am in Thailand!

cdnmatt
February 2nd, 2012, 15:02
I don't mean any offense by this but going by what you've described here, I would say the Thais you spend your time with are probably quite uneducated and have little desire to learn and explore more outside their own little world (there are guys from small villages who ARE keen to get out and they are different). There are so many Thais who've started with little and worked hard to become successful and so many Thais who've moved abroad and enjoy living there.

I'm sorry, but I'm curious, where do you meet all these amazing, hard working Thai entrepreneurs, who never try to screw you out of money, that you always speak so highly of? Really, they seem to gravitate towards you, so where do you meet them? How do you do it?

Anyway, how do I put this? Ummm... you probably won't understand, but any Canadian reading will. Taking a Thai out of Thailand is the same as taking a Newfie off the rock (Newfoundland). When a newfie leaves the rock, you know full well within 1 - 3 years at most they'll be back living on the rock. They won't care about the financial opportunities available within the Western Canada oil patch, and they'll simply want to be back on the rock. Every Canadian knows this, and that's just the way it works. Obviously there's exceptions, but as a general rule, if a newfie leaves, they'll end up back on the rock in the near future.

That's the same as taking a typical middle class Thai out of Thailand, but probably even moreso, due to the very deep and entrenched culture Thais have. I could be wrong, but I think I can confidently say the average Thai would be less open to change than the average farang, simply due to the culture. Canada is only 144 years old, whereas Thailand is thousands, so naturally they're more entrenched in their culture.

Go someplace where there's a huge population of expat Thais and it'll completely change your view of this nationality.

No, it'll just make me think they're expats, and won't change my perception of Thais at all. Expats are somewhat of a different breed of people. It'd be like me going to a dinner party in Kuala Lumpur with a bunch of white expats, versus hanging out in a subburb in Winnipeg, Canada. You just can't compare the two.

latintopxxx
February 2nd, 2012, 21:22
a middle class Thai earning the equivalent of тВм2000 to 4000 has no need or wish to emigrate unless it's a career move with guaranteed financial rewards. However someone with minimal qualifications will if brave enough will jump at the opportunity to improve their lot if they get the opportunity to emmigrate, Europe is full of illegal and legal low educated emmigrants...this should be proof enough...in fact I have a recently legalised economic refugee boarding with me...only reason he left was that back home he had just about no chance of ever climbing out of abject poverty.

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2012, 21:23
I'm curious, where do you meet all these
LOL... That's like someone who spends all his time with investment bankers coming up to you and asking, "where do you meet all these people who aren't tools?"

To answer your question... I think anywhere you go in Asia, you should be able to discriminate between people who are genuine, decent, thoughtful and educated (I don't mean academically) and those who are less educated, low mannered and of lower class. I don't mean to denigrate the latter. They're human beings. I treat them with as much respect as I do anyone else and have befriended plenty of them with an open mind. I just choose to spend most my time with the former.

I know this sounds like something a complete tool would suggest but you're seeing it from the eyes of Western culture where everyone is more egalitarian and less class conscious.

I believe the reason why Asians are so class and status conscious is because in Asia, there's such an incredibly large difference between the different classes of people there and how they behave.

You've been astounded by the way some of your boyfriend's family have behaved. The truth is, you could have chosen to build relationships and spend time with Thais who wouldn't have given you so many headaches and frustrations... though maybe that kind of drama was sort of what you were after when you decided to stay in Thailand.

who never try to screw you out of money
Ah... come on. Take a step back and look at what you're saying here. You think it's noteworthy that a Thai DOESN'T try to screw you out of money? I can't actually recall a single instance where one has tried (I mean Thais I know on a personal level, not shop keepers and service people).

I don't mean to be a dick, but sometimes when I read some of these stories of members getting screwed over, the first thought that comes to my mind is... Why do they choose to hang out with such drop kicks? I know that sounds harsh.

Taking a Thai out of Thailand is the same as taking a Newfie off the rock (Newfoundland). When a newfie leaves the rock, you know full well within 1 - 3 years at most they'll be back living on the rock. They won't care about the financial opportunities available within the Western Canada oil patch, and they'll simply want to be back on the rock. Every Canadian knows this, and that's just the way it works. Obviously there's exceptions, but as a general rule, if a newfie leaves, they'll end up back on the rock in the near future.
Well put... I agree those dynamics are present in a lot of Thai people. But as you say, there's lots of exceptions. My periodical BF in Bangkok spent significant periods of time abroad when he was studying. Now he's expressed the desire to work abroad.

A Thai guy I'm dating now in Australia has no desire to ever return to Thailand. Funnily enough, some of his older friends have been here 10 or 20 years and I can't imagine them ever returning either. I think the presence of a strong Thai community with Thai-oriented amenities and services is a major factor in this for many of them. But there are plenty of Thais who have settled around the world, without many other Thais surrounding them too.

February 2nd, 2012, 22:38
does your thai thai boyfriend know about your aussie thai boyfriend ??
do you know the go go boys you befriended on the beach are the sort of boys you wouldnt touch with a barge pole ..
do you realise if you contradict yourself much more your head will fall off !!! :tif:

Rush, Yet Again
February 3rd, 2012, 00:02
No, your phrase тАЬeven shittier than my ownтАЭ contains a comparative adjective: shittier. Which is used as a degree of comparison between a quality relative to something else.
Sorry but you're drowning in a spiral of semantics and I can't be arsed to swim after you...

ThatтАЩs okay Beachball. If simple grammar is too difficult for you to grasp, weтАЩll just chalk it up as yet another subject of which you lack knowledge.

martin911
February 4th, 2012, 09:50
do you know the go go boys you befriended on the beach are the sort of boys you wouldnt touch with a barge pole ..
do you realise if you contradict yourself much more your head will fall off !!! :tif:

HaHA well put !!!!! :evil4: :evil4:

Beachlover
February 5th, 2012, 05:47
Yes he does and he tells me when he's seeing someone too... Already explained the last time you asked. We see each other when I'm in Bangkok only if neither of us is in a relationship. We like each other but too impractical to have a LTR as we live in different countries.

I didn't befriend any gogo boys on a beach... I chatted to some in Jomtien once when they called me over. I'm open to chatting to anyone. There's always something to be learnt and that's how you broaden your views.