PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendation for a nice hotel with pool ?

May 12th, 2006, 16:33
Will be making a side trip from Bangkok to Pattaya for a 2 nites stay. Would prefer a hotel with a nice pool. I think Avalon Resort is nice but is it ok with overnite guests?
I stayed once at Welcome Plaza but I find the rooms dreadful! Just wondering the nearby hotels are ok.
Please don't recommend me Hard Rock or the Marriott.... I wouldn't be asking for help if I can afford them. Thanks.

May 12th, 2006, 18:03
Will be making a side trip from Bangkok to Pattaya for a 2 nites stay. Would prefer a hotel with a nice pool. I think Avalon Resort is nice but is it ok with overnite guests?
I stayed once at Welcome Plaza but I find the rooms dreadful! Just wondering the nearby hotels are ok.
Please don't recommend me Hard Rock or the Marriott.... I wouldn't be asking for help if I can afford them. Thanks.

Pattayaland: The rooms are somewhat better at the Royal Palace, next door but some guards & people at reception may try to extract a joiners fee.
Honey Lodge has a pool and great location but haven't looked at a room in a very long time.

Sunnee: Monty's pool is nice as is Koenig's.

May 12th, 2006, 20:35
[
Pattayaland: The rooms are somewhat better at the Royal Palace, next door but some guards & people at reception may try to extract a joiners fee.
Honey Lodge has a pool and great location but haven't looked at a room in a very long time.

The standard joiners fee at the Royal Palace is 850 Baht as it is at their sister hotel next door Royal Twins.

However at the latter because of the layout of the lobby area it is often possible to take a guest in without being spotted.

May 13th, 2006, 06:57
Across the street from Welcome Plaza and about a block past Royal Garden is Lek Hotel. Very nice pool, rooms and a wonderful breakfast buffet. No problems taking boys to the room. Standard room in new building is B1200 if I recall. I've stayed there my last 3 trips. I highly recommend.

bing
May 13th, 2006, 08:24
Glad to hear you liked Leks. I stayed Howards Guest House on my last trip and loved it. I found the place cheerful, with lots of helpful staff, and Punya who is very willing to make your stay fun. I went over to Leks two times for breakfast buffet. and in MHO it is way better than the Day/Night hotel buffet. I do like a buffet as you don't have to wait and can belly up till full. Load up on breakfast and you can skip lunch and have nice supper after a day at the beach. I thought the pool was a nice backdrop for a good breakfast.

wowpow
May 13th, 2006, 13:17
www.avalonbeachresort.com/ (http://www.avalonbeachresort.com/) does NOT charge joiner's fees. The rooms are very nice and location right on the gay beach. I have not heard any good reports on their catering. Do e-mail them for a quote they seem to constantly offer a price of about Bt2800 if you go direct as opposed to Bt3500 on their internet site.

www.rabbitresort.com/ (http://www.rabbitresort.com/) may discount to within your budget at this time of year. They did charge Joiner's for a while but learned to be wise and discontinued.

I am pretty sure that Howards have not added a pool since I was last there?

stefanpattaya@yahoo.com has condos at View Talays 1 and 2 in Jomtien which are very nice and there are pools and no joiners. He normally looks for longer lets but why not e-mail him.

I have friends who use the Royal Twins - alongside Welcome Plaza - the rooms are not too expensive if you get their discount card but it's not enough for 2 nights. I don't care much for the place but have gay friends who stay there regularly and have no problems with joiners and sometimes more than one.

www.ramakien.com/index.php (http://www.ramakien.com/index.php) has been opened for three months and have a room promotion of Bt1600 which looks like a snip. It is a Gay Resort so no joiners. It would be nice to hear from anyone who has stayed there?

andrewcraig
May 13th, 2006, 13:24
I like Montys pool but does it open in low season.

Yensabai Condos have a great pool and the thread named Condo had an ad for the letting agent.

May 13th, 2006, 20:36
hey many thanks to you guys. I always know that I can rely on the help here. any email or phone for lek's hotel?

Smiles
May 13th, 2006, 20:53
Hi Rustee,

This suggestion might be not along the norm, but you might give some thought to staying at the AA Hotel (corner of Beach Rd & Soi 13). Gotta love the name! :blackeye:

Haven't stayed there for a few years now, but did for a couple of trips and it was very pleasant, though not luxurious by an means ... a reasonably sized room with a comfy quee-size bed, big bathroom, and clean are pretty well my main criteria. A few years ago it was 650 baht a day, but I wouldn't doubt it's in the 800-900 baht region now.
The location is very easy walking to just about anywhere, but the main attraction for me was the sweet (and rarey used) swimming pool on the 4th floor overlooking Beach Rd and the sunsets over the Gulf.

Has a mediocre restaurant just off the lobby and a big nicely-maintained snooker table in the bar.

Good value for money IMHO. No website anymore (that I can find) . . . and I've lost the phone number (big help!). We just 'walked in' both times we stayed there ... no problem getting a room. Not specifically a "gay" hotel, but certainly not unfriendly to gays ... if they even give it a second thought, which I doubt.

Cheers ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Thailand_2005/aahotelpool.jpg

PS . . . for what it's worth: found this little blurb on Stickman.com (looking for an AA Hotel phone number). If this doesn't make you want to try the AA I can't imagine what would :albino: :

" ... On my first trip to Pattaya I was booked into the Diamond Beach hotel for obvious reasons. On the way down in the bus I met an experienced guy who turned me on to the AA Hotel. He took me there, helped me check in, and got me a discount. This was one of the luckiest things to happen to me in Thailand. The hotel is simply fabulous in every way and a hidden gem. If you didn't know where to look you would walk right by the entrance. The only fly in the ointment is that the maids in the AA Hotel simply do not understand what the DO NOT DISTURB sign means when you hang it on your doorknob. They either knock on the door or just come right in. I have tried looking disgusted, perplexed, smiling, looking pissed, and showing them the card and explaining the meaning. It's a waste of time. If their inventory sheets for my room show that a towel has to be delivered or that the refrigerator is missing a Milky Way bar--they are coming in. And apparently they either have X-Ray vision or there are hidden cameras in my room--because they ALWAYS come in when I am naked. ALWAYS. I was once so disgusted that I jerked open the door naked and stood there. She pushed past me, put some soda pops in the mini-bar, and then left. You'd think they were delivering plutonium. I imagine that when their inventory sheets for my floor are finally complete, that they notify the King at Government House. Room 6, floor 2 has his Milky Way bar. The nation is safe. ... "

lonelywombat
May 14th, 2006, 06:14
www.patttaya-chat.com (http://www.patttaya-chat.com) is a breeders board with a large chunk of straight (?)guys into ladyboys

They do have a very professional forum on guesthouses and hotels that is worth subscribing just to have access to.

They take their own photos of the rooms, view, foyer, restaurant,pool everything that could be of interest.

Friend of mine found Chateau Dale Condos here and is staying there a second time shortly.

I find it hilarious to read straight guys posting to a forum "which lady boy has got the biggest cock in Pattaya"

They often have photos. A lot of their info posted is very helpful, a lot of it is shit.

Gaypattayan
May 15th, 2006, 12:21
Just around the corner from BoyzTown, the Mike Hotel on Second Road is well worth considering. An older hotel, but quite well maintained, and fully gay welcoming, it is a reasonable choice if you don't have a lot of extra cash to throw around. I haven't stayed at Mike's recently, but friends have, and they have been quite satisfied. They have a nice pool up on the fifth floor that most people seem unaware of, and the rooms are comfortable and clean, but not elaborate or fancy. It has an elevator after you get to the lobby, up one flight of steps.

You might check it out if you don't want to spend huge amounts of money as would be required for most of the hotels with swimming pools.

G.P.

May 15th, 2006, 15:30
but they can't be serious abot the rules/guidelines

This board is free of any commercial influences. Therefore, any subject apart from illegal activities, outing of members or threats to kill will result in an immediate ban

I think there must be a missing "which".

:colors:

May 15th, 2006, 15:35
fully gay welcoming

I think you mean "fully prostitute welcoming", don't you? I've never heard of a hotel in Thailand which accepted female prostitutes, but not male ones -- have you?

lonelywombat
May 15th, 2006, 16:06
fully gay welcoming

I think you mean "fully prostitute welcoming", don't you? I've never heard of a hotel in Thailand which accepted female prostitutes, but not male ones -- have you?

No but in Fassbinds time it was a fact that bar boys were accepted but bar girls were not.

Yes I know he was gay and open about it, but his reasons were girls made a ton more trouble and noise than boys.

May 15th, 2006, 16:11
Well, I for one would wish people would stop using the term "gay friendly" in this manner, as if there were a problem with homophobia in Thai hotels.

What there is a phobia of, in fact, is men bringing in their short-term tricks and floozies of both sexes into their otherwise reputable, "family" establishments. There is not a hotel anywhere in the country where a gay couple checking in together will raise any eyebrows, much less objections, whatsoever.

May 15th, 2006, 16:13
Well, I for one would wish people would stop using the term "gay friendly" in this manner, as if there were a problem with homophobia in Thai hotels.

What there is a phobia of, in fact, is men bringing in their short-term tricks and floozies of both sexes into their otherwise reputable, "family" establishments. There is not a hotel anywhere in the country where a gay couple checking in together will raise any eyebrows, much less objections, whatsoever.

Smiles
May 15th, 2006, 20:22
" ... Well, I for one would wish people would stop using the term "gay friendly" in this manner, as if there were a problem with homophobia in Thai hotels ... "
BoyGeenyus . . . . folks use the term "gay friendly" viv-a-vis hotels and restaurants in a kneejerk fashion without thinking too much . . . kind of like I put on underwear in the morning without giving it much of a second thought.

By way of comparison, you ~ in exact same fashion, ( i.e. " ... in a kneejerk fashion without thinking too much... " ) ~ jump on, and criticisize (often twice, as above) 'everybody-for-everything' on this Board, no matter how small and innocent the issue.

It gets ponderous & tedious, reminds me very much of H*dd* actually.
I appreciate your views on Thailand immemsely ... you have lived there full-time long enough to know many things which are valuable to the Members of the Board, and you've shown that often. Why bother with the small shit?

But (and I know you will) carry on ...

Cheers ...

May 15th, 2006, 23:25
You're damned right I will carry on, in my one-man crusade against stupidity on this website.

Smiles
May 15th, 2006, 23:32
" ... my one-man crusade against stupidity on this website ... "
LOL :albino:

" ... Very well. Sea," cried BoyCanute, "I command you to come no further! Waves, stop your rolling!. Surf(crest), stop your pounding! Do not dare touch my feet!"

He waited a moment, quietly, and a tiny wave rushed up the sand and lapped at his feet.

"How dare you!" BoyCanute shouted. "Ocean, turn back now! I have ordered you to retreat before me, and now you must obey! Go back!

But it did not. ... "

Cheers ...

May 15th, 2006, 23:58
I will carry on, in my one-man crusade against stupidity on this website.

There was once a King, Knut, who tried something very similar at Canewdon (Knut's Town) in Essex. :clown: