PDA

View Full Version : A SPECIAL MESSAGE TO READERS AND ADVERTSIERS FROM OUT iT

James Barnes
December 24th, 2011, 10:30
Merry Christmas... and thank you.

The January issue of OUT iT is now at the print shop and will celebrate our first birthday. This edition will have improved paper quality, a thicker cover, a review of the year, announce all the winners of the first annual OUT iT awards and feature Justin Pascua who has recorded a song, 'OUT in Thailand' (co-written by George Nash) which will be available to download from i-Tunes. The magazine was launched into a sceptical market last January but has now established itself as the market leader and that success is entirely yours. Thank you.

Bjorn has excelled in the design department with luscious photo-spreads that have become a hallmark of our style and marvellous subtle touches of flair that complete the house look which define our standards and keep us head and shoulders above the competition. After several false starts in our marketing, Wouter has quickly established himself as an efficient, personable and professional ambassador for OUT iT with many new advertisers now on board and many more in the pipeline. Dan has been constantly updating our web presence, with the OUT iT Forums his latest development and his work keeping the maps and listings up to date is appreciated by all visiting readers who need to know where to go.

Brian Baxter, Alan Brown, Darika, Kenneth Dobson, Dodger, Guy and John Howe have all made regularly sterling contributions to our editorial, all the while adhering to our copy brief: informative, intelligent and inspiring. In our first year we have scored some major scoops; Apichatpong and Chaiwut gave us their first ever interviews to a gay magazine. We have had contributions from David Furnish and in the January 2012 issue, his hubby, Sir Elton John. The coming year will see a new batch of big name interviews, new serials (including the world's first gay superhero) and fresh writers. Reader feedback, much (to my surprise) from Thai fans, informs that we have made the right editorial choices and that the high word count for each issue is appreciated. There will also be regular interviews with gay Thai professionals designed to undermine the misconception that all young Thai guys are for sale and to inspire our Thai readers.

An important aspect of our operation is in distribution/delivery and updating the maps and listings. Por and Jim (Bangkok), Peter and Jiab (Chiang Mai), Tim (Hua Hin), Daniel (Hong Kong), Bruce and Mark (Koh Samui), Mike and Ton (Pattaya) and John and Rob (Phuket) have all made a vitally important contribution in making sure we are OUT there and that the listings are as accurate as possible.

The demand for the magazine increases every month (some business owners have even thought that they did not receive copies because they were all taken so quickly!) and I am considering keeping our print run to 10,000 copies throughout the year with no reduction in low season months. The online version has been downloaded in 97 countries around the world and we have scored as many as 220,000+ visits to our Facebook page in a single month. All this is down to your tremendous effort and I would like to take this opportunity to offer my heartfelt thanks. Thanks to you, OUT iT has made a real difference to gay life in Thailand and I am sure that the next year will see even greater achievements.

I wish you the most plumptious holiday season and everything that you wish for in 2012,

Yours,

James Barnes.

Marsilius
December 25th, 2011, 08:05
Presumably the "advertsiers" can expect that the standard of proof-reading in the magazine is better than that exhibited in the heading to this thread!

December 25th, 2011, 19:47
The general standard of poof-reading as apparent in this forum , means that very few people will notice any errors in "OUT iT" whatsoever.

:occasion9:

December 26th, 2011, 16:16
I think someone forgets that someone was shown the distribution list with the actual numbers! It was 550 for all of Pattaya. Hmmm!
How about an independent audited circulation?

James Barnes
December 26th, 2011, 16:22
I think someone forgets that someone was shown the distribution list with the actual numbers! It was 550 for all of Pattaya. Hmmm!

Someone is sorely mistaken.

The guys at Pattaya Hotmale do all the distribution for Pattaya and keep records of how many copies are taken to each venue.

You can be assured that the total number delivered to Pattaya are as follows:

High season: 2,500

Low season: 2,000

We keep all our printer and courier records which will show these figures to be true.

Maybe someone is thinking of another publication.

Best wishes,

James.

December 26th, 2011, 16:55
Nope. When it became an issue due to Ambiance getting 30 copies and Copa getting 15 and Happy Place getting 20, and the call went into your office and your distribution man showed up the next day to explain with distribution list in hand it was less than 600 for all of Pattaya. I say again that some people might consider going back into your magazine if your print copies were independently audited.

James Barnes
December 26th, 2011, 17:00
Nope. When it became an issue due to Ambiance getting 30 copies and Copa getting 15 and Happy Place getting 20, and the call went into your office and your distribution man showed up the next day to explain with distribution list in hand it was less than 600 for all of Pattaya. I say again that some people might consider going back into your magazine if your print copies were independently audited.

I repeat, you are mistaken. You are quite welcome to see the invoices from our printer and courier which will confirm the figures I have quoted.

Best wishes,

James.

December 26th, 2011, 17:08
Invoices can always be changed at will, and invoices would be for total copies printed for all of your distribution and not by area.
Why have you not answered the point to have your print copies audited? See and this is why many advertisers complained as you wrote in your first post that they seem to have disappeared overnight and some don't think they are being distributed at all. That is because the establishments got (at least up to the point it was brought up 2 or 3 months ago) enough that there was enough that when the employees grabbed them, they were gone! Enough said.

Actually one more detail. You keep giving yourself credit that the magazine is viewed in 90+ countries but fail to guess about how many of these were in error. OUT Magazine is one of the largest and most circulated magazines in the WORLD. Unfortunately it is not Out Thailand that they are probably looking for but OUT Magazine that is a gay and lesbian magazine that is internationally distributed for years. I used to buy it in USA and is very easy for anyone to Google. Not to mention that the other Out Magazine is so popular around the world that back issues are sought after on Ebay. So where did you dream up the name OUT?

corky
December 27th, 2011, 05:35
... So where did you dream up the name OUT?
I think it's an acronym. Overrated, Uninspiring, Tedious :dontknow:

pong
December 27th, 2011, 17:23
congratulations, well done, I hope the new year may be even better for your magazine-one of the easiest to lay one's hands on compatred to the other competing mags. Swasde wan gheut, duay,l lae choke tung pattana. khrap.

James Barnes
December 29th, 2011, 11:43
Many thanks to all of you who have sent messages and emails with your congratulations, which mean a great deal to me personally and to the OUTiT team who all work so hard.

Thank you. Here's wishing you a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2012.

James.